AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Old 2007-03-22, 16:31   Link #1
Valcristdk

iTV, iTunes and Anime

I'm assuming this wont work unless I convert my collection, playable to iTunes first in order for it stream to the iTV.

Does anyone have experience with these kind of streaming devices from your computer to a device(ie: iTV) to your TV?

iTV's catch is if it plays on iTunes, it will play on iTV.

Looking at this thread:
http://forums.animesuki.com/poll.php...ts&pollid=1269

0 Votes for iTunes.
Valcristdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 20:19   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

iTunes doesn't have its own video format now, does it? I thought iTunes relied on Quicktime for both its audio and video rendering. Basically, if your fansub would play in Quicktime, it'd play in iTunes.

If you can get Quicktime to play .avi and H.264/xvid, theoretically it should work. To be honest, I have not yet looked into how iTV works, so I'm not 100% sure... seems plausible from my guesses, though.
Old 2007-03-22, 23:22   Link #3
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valcristdk View Post
Looking at this thread:
http://forums.animesuki.com/poll.php...ts&pollid=1269

0 Votes for iTunes.
Well, iTunes is really better for managing a permanent collection (and it works quite nicely with podcasts, too) than simply playing video. I would guess most people download anime, then watch them, and then either burn them to disc, or delete them.

Now that AppleTV is out, it will probably encourage developers to make something to import more formats into iTunes. Before this, there really was no need.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 02:14   Link #4
Yuvi
Alternative User

Indeed, iTunes relies on QuickTime for playback of most formats, though it will treat some formats differently (XiphQT still has problems with this) and has its own internal codecs. However, it will only open certain file extensions regardless of what QT can open and .avi/.mkv aren't on the list. As far as I know, .ogg is the only exception for which support can be added. There are of course a couple different tricks you can do to get unsupported file formats into iTunes, but the AppleTV still won't play anything that it doesn't support even if iTunes plays it, which is Main Profile H.264 minus CABAC, 720p @ 24 fps or 960x540 @ 30fps. Of course, if it's possible to hack in support for more codecs to the AppleTV, it'll probably happen.
Yuvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 08:16   Link #5
Valcristdk

To be honest, I've never used iTunes to play ANY video.
I've only used it to manage my songs and sync with my iPods.

Well, I tried importing some videos(AVI) into iTunes and it doesn't seem to want to be added into my library.
I've also got a few .mp4 files but QuickTime doesn't seem to wanna play them.

Well, I guess I should wait until I see other revisions or community mods to the iTV before I give Steve Jobs more money...
Old 2007-03-23, 11:23   Link #6
Yuvi
Alternative User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuvi View Post
Of course, if it's possible to hack in support for more codecs to the AppleTV, it'll probably happen.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=2391956
But syncing is a pain for now. And it does only have a 1GHz processor...

Last edited by Yuvi; 2007-03-23 at 12:56.
Yuvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 13:18   Link #7
Valcristdk

Wow, they are able to install Perian since it's a modified thin version of OSX plus you can SMB to it removing the need to sync with iTunes.

Wow, AppleTV is looking to be a really mod friendly hardware.
Will definitely be keeping track of this progress.
Old 2007-03-23, 16:49   Link #8
Joojoobees

Another article on modifying AppleTV to support various video formats.
Old 2007-03-24, 15:50   Link #9
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Meh my TV has VGA in. So if I want to watch something thats on my laptop all I have to do is hook up the TV to the VGA out and ta-da anime on my TV. Thus the iTV is pointless for me. I suppose I could see it being usefull if you only had a desktop and your TV was in another room, but for me thats not the case.

Pretty cool that it's modifiable to watch anime though!
Old 2007-03-25, 05:59   Link #10
Aegelward

The apple tv looks like it'll turn into a great hackers platform, it'd be feasable to port XBMC or MythTV to it...

though, for it to work with itunes for now, its possibly best to convert the video into a format.. there are several ways of doing it, if the content is SD (640x480/640x320) a free app like isquint is pretty good, or you can use quicktime itself to port it. or whatever windows equivalents there are.

if you want speed its better to just convert it into mpeg4 rather than h264. since it can take AGES to convert.

the nice part about using itunes is that it uses metadata to organize things rather than folders. a few metadata editors allow for more editing that itunes allows internally, like adding episode descriptions.
Aegelward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 10:22   Link #11
Valcristdk

http://appletvhacks.net/
This site made me buy one.

My computer and my PC are next to each other but my wife says it's an eyesore in the living room.
So I have to move it.