AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2007-05-30, 05:23   Link #41
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
Material 0 + Onionne = Antidote
Material 2 + Onionne = Napalm
Is there a forumla to make with higher numbered materials? The warming potion needs Material 0 but I was able to make it with Material 10. Just wondering why a high numbered Material + Onionne = Antidote instead of Napalm.
Higher numbered materials can be made through multiplication. Basically, combining two materials result in the product of their numbers.

Material 2 + Material 4 = Material 8
Material 8 + Material 5 = Material 40

And so forth.

As for your second question, what is important is actually the *color* of the potion, and I believe they actually follow the same color depending on the last digit of the material. That is,

Material 8, 18, 28, 38, 48 are the same (can be used to make same items)
Material 0, 10, 20, 30, 40 are the same.. etc and so forth.

To make napalm with a higher numbered material you will need 12, 22, 32 and so forth.

The good thing about attaining higher numbers (88 instead of 28) is that combining these higher numbered material to make items will generate more phozons. That is actually the point of base 10 materials - for easy scaling to higher numbers.

If you read my post above I've also noted on how to increase material numbers through bones and fruits. Mixing with normal items results in addition to material numbers. Mixing with other materials results in multiplication of material number.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 05:55   Link #42
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Item creation is based on your Material last number such as Antidote needs material(X0) with X being any number) while Napalm uses (X2). I haven't seen anything that requires material base of more than X9 and i highly doubt they ll need to as there are only 26 formula.

you're limited to 6 bags i think, i have to go back and check later. Just replace the smaller bags with Large Bag (8 slot) later.
Quote:
The slowdown is not worse than Shadow of the Colossus - it gets painfully slow for me. But that's because I don't clear phozons until ending the entire battle. When fighting bosses I also don't bother with the small fry and just concentrate on whacking the biggie, which means the small fries accumulate.
meant that for the boss size but one thing about Odin and SotC is that there's way to prevent the slow down (other than fight Belial since he toss out a lot of junk) while SotC, you prevent much had to ride it out.

11 hrs in, i would give this game a 8 to 9 out of 10 rating. It would be better if they had better engine/hardware to handle the slowdown and a better inventory system (it's a bit clunky trying to look for a potion when you got 6 bags with 8 slot each, a filter to sort item class would be nice). The graphic, gameplay, music and story is rock solid. Item creations are one of the better ones in recent times.

Definitely a must buy for PS2 owner as it's unlikely you ll get a 2D brawler of this caliber anytime soon.

Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2007-05-31, 21:07   Link #43
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Every once in a while, I'm tempted to create a thread in the games forum called "Who the Heck is This and Why is She All Over the Place." Usually, I figure it out. Recently, Gwendolyn and the girl from Little Busters have been getting a lot of attention. Platinum blonds must be in again.

Old 2007-05-31, 22:08   Link #44
bigdave
Falling for Ginsama ^3^
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to bigdave
Maids>> U ARE MY HERO! ODIN SPHERE ARTWORK! xD lol
I have been looking for pics of the game!

and Im not that far into the story, im just at the part against the general.
I must say I have to keep training
Cuz I keep getting ganged up on from all the ice monsters

edit: btw are u going to post more pics? if there are any?

bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 01:15   Link #45
Tommy
Mr. Prince

So what makes this game good, gameplay? Story? graphics? It doesn't sound to appealing to me to play a 2D brawler for 40 hours. I might just get it anyways because of the fact that Atlus RPG's are usually rare and highly sought after in a year or two.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 10:42   Link #46
Imazul

The game play in Odin's sphere is ok. Not revolutionary or anything but it does the job pretty well.

What really sets the game apart is the graphics. They are the epitome of 2d graphics on the PS2 and truly a sight to behold.

Sadly, you get some slow loading times and minor slowdown on boss because of this. Nothing that should keep you from playing the game.

Story wise, it's actually pretty dull. If you don't like the combat system, you won't like the game.
Imazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 10:55   Link #47
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Actually, i love the story. It's very fairytale-like. Though dialog and scene can be quite short and there's no fancy CG cut scene but it's consistent and unique in presentation. It's like watching an anime stage drama presentation.

and wow, Maids x3... i didn't expect game fan art as well from you
Old 2007-06-01, 17:27   Link #48
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
and wow, Maids x3... i didn't expect game fan art as well from you
Well, I run into a lot of it. Characters that I can't place in any anime (in this case Gwendolyn) start popping up all over the place. If I like it, I get curious and start downloading. (I probably have close to 1,000 Tohou images, although I know very little about the characters and don't actively search for them.)

Just in case people haven't run into them yet, here are a couple of official wallpapers:

1280x1024

1920x1200
Old 2007-06-02, 07:01   Link #49
Honey_and_Cleaver

This is one of the classic animation game that looks really hard to be made. It has really good female VAs, i love them all, except that they had really stupid male VAs which ruins it all(well a lot of male VAs suck). I still play the game however. I like the red witch the most.

Current Anime following: Gundam 00, Goshuushi-sama Ninomiya-kun, Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji, Night Wizard, Dragonout the Resonance, Minami-Ke, Shion no Ou, Shugo no Chara!, BLUE DROP, Rental Magica, Kimikiss pure rogue, Moyashimon,Majin Tantei Nourgami Neuro,Clannad
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 13:09   Link #50
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The English voice acting is pretty good, although some side-characters don't match their voices. Oswald's VA gets to me, as it sounds a little... overly dramatic (every.single.word). All the others are pretty good; I started out in English, switched over to Japanese, and switched back to English.

What's really fun about this game is the different attack styles of the characters. In my case, once I finally figure out how to most effectively use a character I've finished their story, and there's a new one to play through. Bosses and enemies are recycled between the different characters, but it doesn't feel too terrible because you need to use a different approach to defeat them.

The story concept is really neat as well. You play through a character, and see their perspective on the world's events. Then you start from the very beginning, but with a different character. This formula has been tried before, but in this case it's a bit different: while all of the characters are connected, you don't always see the connection from the character you play as. Additionally, not all of the characters participate in every bit of the timeline. As you go, you fill in bits and pieces of the story. It's not for everyone, but I think they pulled it off well here.

I'm currently on Mercedes, and the play style is just radically different from the first two. Timing the reloads and the ability of flight (useful for dodging) complicate matters quite a bit.

I did have a few questions, though:

1) What effects the "carry over" score?

2) Does anyone have a good solution for getting rid of the little green ooze creatures? (you encounter them near the end of Cornelius' story - the annoying sorcerers are able to summon them as well) When you hit them normally, you only deal one point of damage. Using napalm equates to an instant kill, but if you run out of napalm...
Old 2007-06-04, 14:53   Link #51
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post

I did have a few questions, though:

1) What effects the "carry over" score?

2) Does anyone have a good solution for getting rid of the little green ooze creatures? (you encounter them near the end of Cornelius' story - the annoying sorcerers are able to summon them as well) When you hit them normally, you only deal one point of damage. Using napalm equates to an instant kill, but if you run out of napalm...
1) "Carry over" is how much extra score you got the previous battle. A 'D' requires 0 points, 400 points for C, 700 points for B, 900 points for A, and 1000 points for S. If you get 399 points, you'll get a D, but get 399 extra points for the next mission. If you get 950 points, you'll get an A but get 50 points for the next mission. I'm not sure why this score exists, but that's what it does.

2) The slimes are immune to normal attacks. As you say, the only way for Cornelius to beat them is to use attack bottles (note that they have a fairly high chance of dropping the Ooze attack bottle if you hit them with a low attack). Luckily though, every other character after Cornelius has a better way to kill them. Mercedes' fireballs work, Oswald has his shadow form, and Velvet her Homing Chain. It's really just annoying for Cornelius.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 15:37   Link #52
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
I just started Cornelius's story and I hate hate hate the recycled bosses. Confirm the kill dammit! The main boss of Gwen's story is the first boss of Cornelius!? That makes no sense to me. Lord Odin sends me to attack General Brigand (so they can recycle the boss) and I have to slaughter Odin's own men to get to him?

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 17:11   Link #53
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
I just started Cornelius's story and I hate hate hate the recycled bosses. Confirm the kill dammit! The main boss of Gwen's story is the first boss of Cornelius!? That makes no sense to me. Lord Odin sends me to attack General Brigand (so they can recycle the boss) and I have to slaughter Odin's own men to get to him?
It makes perfect sense. If you go to the "rewatch scenes" thing, you'll see a big timeline with different boxes. Gwendolyn is the first on the left; Cornelius is the second. Notice that Gwendolyn's story encounters the last boss near the very, very end of the story timeline. Cornelius' encounter occurs before Gwendolyn's story begins, if I remember right. Basically, you're going back through the story each time, but from a different set of eyes (and occasionally skipping certain sequences of the story, and occasionally going back to the very, very beginning - as with Cornelius and Velvet). In other words, by the time you whack that boss with Gwendolyn, the boss has already been whacked by Cornelius (and probably at least one other character) in the timeline of the story.

Don't roll your eyes too hard, but... Cornelius' last boss is the first boss of the next character, too. I have a suspicion that it's like that for all of the characters. It can be a bit annoying to repeat, but I'm wondering if they didn't do it intentionally. That is, you're getting used to a new character, so by fighting a boss that you're used to, you might have an easier time.
Old 2007-06-04, 18:22   Link #54
bigdave
Falling for Ginsama ^3^
*Graphic Designer

YEa I was seriously wondering about that....

WHy the last boss is the first boss in the next characters story
AND lord brigan is the second boss in the first two so far...

well anyways I so far I have been playing through Cornelius's story and I think its pretty fun...

Old 2007-06-04, 21:28   Link #55
overthere!

Send a message via AIM to overthere! Send a message via MSN to overthere! Send a message via Yahoo to overthere!
How long is the playtime for this game? I've been thinking about acquiring this game since I've read it in this month's EGM magazine. The PS2 has been lacking fun games lately (with the exception of .HACK & Valkyrie Profile 2).
overthere! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 22:04   Link #56
bigdave
Falling for Ginsama ^3^
*Graphic Designer

I'd Say that its about 10 to 11 hours for each characters so lets see, about 50 to 55 hours of gameplay, roughly ^^;

but its so fun I would play through it again.
and yea VP2 is definitely a good game. ^___^

Old 2007-06-05, 01:09   Link #57
rpgman1

I wish I did find a copy of Odin Sphere but no store has the game. Atlus didn't make many copies like their previous games.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-05, 05:13   Link #58
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

atlus arent known to have large volume of copies for their first print. It's either wait for a reprint or bust your cash on ebay copies.
Old 2007-06-05, 05:18   Link #59
Lebron
I hear voices

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post
I wish I did find a copy of Odin Sphere but no store has the game. Atlus didn't make many copies like their previous games.
Yeah, I am in the same situation. Oh the irony, the EB guy asked me if I wanted to pre-order when I asked about the game a few weeks back, and I told him that wouldn't be necessary. Figured I just walk in day 1 and pick it up, yeah that didn't pan out how I planned
Old 2007-06-05, 14:46   Link #60
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Why not buy from amazon or ebgames.com?

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote