AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-03-18, 08:00   Link #1
toru310

How can I get rid of a os in hard drive?

Hi, I just made my life from worse to worser and the hell with this!!. Anyways does anyone of you know how to remove a OS in a harddrive? If you don't get my question heres an example I have two hard drives and they have both an os installed let's say its XP os. Now I want to make 1 hard drive to be a storage for my files and the other will be just the os.

Side question: How can your harddrive get a bad sector?
cause i reformatted and formatted my hard drive i think 6 times both drives in this weekend......

Does this relate to bad sector?? http://youtube.com/watch?v=_XSYlPSlG2E

Last edited by toru310; 2007-03-18 at 08:17.
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-18, 12:14   Link #2
Ending

Formatting is easy. Simply boot from DVD, on which you have an OS like WinXP or Linux, and choose the corresponding option during the installation process. Then cancel the install. Alternatively, you can try finding a specific program for the task from pages like www.snapfiles.com.

Bad sectors are, AFAIK, physical malformations in the disk and really can't be repaired. Many bad sectors are a sign of failing disk.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 00:42   Link #3
toru310

Will formating it many times and installing windows and reformatting it will it have a bad sector let's say in a weekend you reformatted installed windows for about 3 times will that cause a bad sector?
Old 2007-03-19, 01:02   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heavy use of any drive *can* aggravate marginal sectors until they read as "bad" ... but frankly you should be able to format and install dozens of times without any problem. You'll probably discover every bad sector doing that

With an OS on each drive... just use the BIOS to choose which drive to boot from (sometimes that can be tricksy to figure out but if they're two different OSs its easy to test). Then format the other one and poof, unwanted OS gone.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 01:43   Link #5
toru310

Haha I already did that but in booting section I still have to choose which hard drive to operate even if I formated it. Oh yeah when I formated it in Boot cd mode after format its going to install another xp so wtf.! wooo so sad hehehe I learned a lesson today never ever format your drive if no one is guiding you cause you might lose all your files....
Old 2007-03-19, 07:44   Link #6
Tiberium Wolf

Well if you want to get rid of an OS you can still go to boot.ini in the c: and delete the 1 you want and then delete the windows folders and the others related. Boot.ini file contains the paths for each windows installed. As long as you don't delete the boot files it's ok. (that's if you are using win xp, i don't remember how did other windowns work).

If you format a drive it will encounter any bad sectors and mark then as bad and you won't be using them ever again. If you happen to do another format a while after and it encounters more other locations and your drive is about to die.

How to get bad sectors? Well... let's say you your drive kept on wriiting and deleting a same amount of data from the same location for a full day. That sure can damage the hardrive.
Old 2007-03-19, 08:40   Link #7
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Well if you want to get rid of an OS you can still go to boot.ini in the c: and delete the 1 you want and then delete the windows folders and the others related. Boot.ini file contains the paths for each windows installed. As long as you don't delete the boot files it's ok. (that's if you are using win xp, i don't remember how did other windowns work).

If you format a drive it will encounter any bad sectors and mark then as bad and you won't be using them ever again. If you happen to do another format a while after and it encounters more other locations and your drive is about to die.

How to get bad sectors? Well... let's say you your drive kept on wriiting and deleting a same amount of data from the same location for a full day. That sure can damage the hardrive.
Ok that just sloved my problem..yey...

One more thing is disk defragment is considered as a maintenance for the drive???

Last edited by toru310; 2007-03-22 at 05:16.
Old 2007-03-21, 04:56   Link #8
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post

I get your answer but when you say don't delete windows files do you mean this?...

And when you manual delete the windows file using the window mode in my computer the os will not be deleted right? So in order to delete the os the windows file must be intact in the drive and then format it like this???? And the os will be gone?

Last edited by toru310; 2007-03-21 at 05:19.
Old 2007-03-21, 13:26   Link #9
Sides

Wait,
what do you trying to do ?
You've got Windows on both HDDs,
and you want to get rid off it from the first drive.
If you format the C drive it will delete the boot files and the bootloader as well.
Unless WinXp formatting tool prevents those files from being deleted.

For precaution, make a bootdisk and backup
the bootloader and other booting files onto it.
(enable windows to display hidden and system files to see them)
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 03:41   Link #10
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Wait,
what do you trying to do ?
You've got Windows on both HDDs,
and you want to get rid off it from the first drive.
If you format the C drive it will delete the boot files and the bootloader as well.
Unless WinXp formatting tool prevents those files from being deleted.

For precaution, make a bootdisk and backup
the bootloader and other booting files onto it.
(enable windows to display hidden and system files to see them)
Ok, sorry thats just an example I like to get rid of the os in d:

So this is the whole problem, I have two hard drives and they have windows xp os in both of them and I want drive D to be a storage drive so I have the get rid of that OS Also if I boot my pc it will say what hard drive to boot c: or d:. So when you format a drive with windows files intact after formating in window mode will my pc won't ask for a drive to boot? because when I formated my drive It still asks for what drive to boot and when I boot the formatted drive(In window mode not quick) It says missing file win32 I think...

Oh yeah first I did is deleted windows file and program files using the window mode in my computer which should not be deleted I think..Im sorry Im dumb at this.....

Last edited by toru310; 2007-03-22 at 04:12.
Old 2007-03-22, 08:36   Link #11
Sides

So you want to get rid of the bootloader listing
your OSes during booting, correct ? -> meaning directly boot the Windows

Enable "show hidden files",
then you'll find boot.ini on your C drive.
Open it with notepad and edit the file.

Or

Go to "start and recovery" via control panel-> system->adavnced->start and recovery
or right click on "my computer"-> advance-> start abd recovery
and untick the "display list of OS"
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 09:17   Link #12
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

You can repair a bad sector. There's several programs out there that can do that but I found that 1 program is the most effective. HDD Regenerator works amazingly well, I've restored 7 hard drives to date without any problems. And you don't lose any data either. Just one drawback, it's very slow, so run it overnight or put it on another computer that nobody uses.

http://www.dposoft.net/
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 09:32   Link #13
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
So you want to get rid of the bootloader listing
your OSes during booting, correct ? -> meaning directly boot the Windows

Enable "show hidden files",
then you'll find boot.ini on your C drive.
Open it with notepad and edit the file.

Or

Go to "start and recovery" via control panel-> system->adavnced->start and recovery
or right click on "my computer"-> advance-> start abd recovery
and untick the "display list of OS"
Thank you everyone for your countless effort in helping me... about the start and recovery...Um can you give me screen shot? Cause I want to compare.....I did every thing you said and I'm now down to untick the "display list of OS"...

It's so funny I did many things and then This is the only thing that you have to do wow unbelievable....So I just have to edit the note pad and it's ok?

Edit: I'll be posting a screen shot of what I'm doing later..have to rest...sleepy

Last edited by toru310; 2007-03-22 at 09:42.
Old 2007-03-22, 09:36   Link #14
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura-sensei View Post
You can repair a bad sector. There's several programs out there that can do that but I found that 1 program is the most effective. HDD Regenerator works amazingly well, I've restored 7 hard drives to date without any problems. And you don't lose any data either. Just one drawback, it's very slow, so run it overnight or put it on another computer that nobody uses.

http://www.dposoft.net/
I'll keep that in mind...I'll be needing this in the future if my drive incounters bad sectors you did pay for this right?
Old 2007-03-23, 03:45   Link #15
toru310

I fixed the problem and it went so well that my heart's content.... yey thanks to Sides who understands my problem... The weird thing is is that i did a dozen format reformat install windows delete windows reformat and it all did not fix the problem and this simple thing....It fixed every thing! to bad cause I lost some files with just getting rid of an os category formated the wrong drive so all the files are gone but luckily I got the important files like installers etc and some anime original soundtrack so anyways thank you Sides..Ill also give rep to does who tried to help me cheers...!!!