AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-11-22, 00:16   Link #261
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Just finished three big reviews of Mononoke, Denno Coil and Tekkonkinkreet for the anime and japanese culture publication for which I write and just wanted to bump the thread up.

Seriously, people, you NEED to watch this. It's a milestone in anime history, nothing less that that.

And yes, it's also fucking amazing from a purely casual attitude toward anime watching. Seriously, just listen to me. I sort of didn't want to watch it at first either, despite prods from wao whose tastes in anime I sometimes share.

I passed this one over for a long time, just like everyone else is doing right now. And then I tried an episode, one episode just to be sure I'm not missing anything. You need to do that too. Watch an episode just to make sure you're not missing anything with passing on Mononoke.

You'll change your mind! You'll see that you will!
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 00:38   Link #262
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Seriously, people, you NEED to watch this. It's a milestone in anime history, nothing less that that.
Um, aren't you preaching to the converted by posting in this thread? I proselytize for Mononoke in the Suggestions thread from time to time. Maybe you'd care to join me there?
Old 2007-11-22, 00:44   Link #263
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I was talking to a possible (hopeful, more like it) passerby who might suddenly visit a thread that's at the top on the board, nothing more. It's know to happen. 8)

And I generally don't follow any sub-forums other than Fansubbed, Licensed and Unaired. This forum is otherwise too big for me and my poor schedule. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 08:09   Link #264
Snoop'

Mononoke (along with Dennou Coil and Tekkonkinkreet) is indeed in a class of its own...
Will 2008 bring anything that will make me watch in awe, like Gankutsuou did in 2004 ?

BTW the interview on AnimeStyle is completed (4 parts) ; the happy few who understand Japanese can go grab it at : http://www.style.fm/as/13_special/mini_071116a.shtml
Snoop' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 14:17   Link #265
Ungelic
Supporting twincest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
I was talking to a possible (hopeful, more like it) passerby who might suddenly visit a thread that's at the top on the board, nothing more. It's know to happen. 8)
... and you just did so. I'll give it a try since Mr. Prophet's taste is right on spot.
Ungelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 11:06   Link #266
Ichigo91
Dharma Institute

Finally some more mononoke scans

Old 2007-12-12, 12:00   Link #267
Snoop'

Heh, they are more or less the postcards from the third DVD box set...
See pictures here.
Old 2007-12-12, 12:03   Link #268
White Manju Bun
Going to supermarket
*Author

I hope this series is licensed just so I can buy that! The box-sets are just lovely!
- 11th Doctor.

"I am the bone of my sword."
-Archer
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 13:39   Link #269
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

@White Manju Bun

Damn, your avatar is awesome. D:
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 09:08   Link #270
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I was re-organizing some of my anime files last night and noticed that we've never seen episodes 11 and 12 from Black-Sheep. I think some of you folks frequented this thread in the past. Are you done with Mononoke, or might we expect to see two more excellent releases from your group someday?
Old 2007-12-28, 02:29   Link #271
7Th
Mixtape

I actually watched this as Shinsen-Subs chew out the episodes but hadn’t dared to comment on laziness at finding worthwhile coherent words on WHY I loved the show this much. Was it the narrative intensity? The beautiful and daring visual design? The fast-paced yet evocative storyboarding? The wonderfully climatic dramatic crescendo? My ideas can’t help but come out as idiotic pseudo-pretentious phrases of praise. Even if as per usual I kept spouting hyperboles through 4chan after a while I can’t help but to become saddened at such useless comments to the point of depression. There shouldn’t be a single piece of my own writing, no matter meaningless or short it is, I don’t end up hating... but that isn’t a particularly appropriate theme of discussion for this thread. Anyway, since the end of the year is approaching I just wanted to make everyone aware of my huge, undertatement, enjoyment of this production. I know I’m insignificant and all of you think of me at the level of a cockroach at best, just asking to let me get this off my chest.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 03:43   Link #272
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

My avatar speaks for itself I think, of my opinion of the show that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop' View Post
Artistic.

I've always loved the show's drawing style. It's more like a psychedelic, modern (post-modern? Though I never liked that pretentious, ill-defined term myself) version of traditional Japanese art rather than your usual anime fare. I'm pleased to see that they retain it for the boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
if nobody does it I might translate it crappily because it looks like so much fun .
Please do. Even summaries and snippets would be fine.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 10:04   Link #273
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Are [Black Sheep] done with Mononoke, or might we expect to see two more excellent releases from your group someday?
I got the answer to my question this morning when episode eleven appeared on the main AS page! Thanks to all those sheep!
Old 2008-01-16, 13:23   Link #274
White Manju Bun
Going to supermarket
*Author

Black Sheep has released Mononoke 12! Props to them for finishing it!
- 11th Doctor.

"I am the bone of my sword."
-Archer
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 20:12   Link #275
Snoop'

Wow, many thanks to Black-Sheep !

BTW some pictures of the Nue arc DVD are available on the official site.
The DVD box will include stickers, so that you can throw your own fuda !
Old 2008-01-17, 01:32   Link #276
wao
OK.

But I'm still waiting for an actual 3D Tenbin! (putting aside the ones doujin creators have made)
Old 2008-01-17, 11:33   Link #277
kujoe
from head to heel

I like stories like this. I can't believe I let it sit in the hard drive for so long... I guess it's because I'm giving second priority to shows which look "heavy" this time around.

It somewhat reminds me of Hundred Stories, where in the end it's not so much about the mysterious events and happenings as much as it's about human nature and the human heart. I also have to say that the show's manner of speech appeals to me from an aesthetic point of view, which along with the visuals reminds me of a stage performance.

Thanks to Black-Sheep for the final episode.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 01:57   Link #278
solomon

Just finished it. Not much to add to what everyone else has said. I wish people stateside were this adventerous in creating animation for an adult audience.

Someone licence this please!!
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 21:58   Link #279
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Old 2008-03-08, 14:26   Link #280
Snoop'

My grandma (from Nagoya) finally sent me the 5 Limited Edition DVD Boxes which I had made Amazon ship to her address !!

I'll post some scans in a few days.

Tags
noitamina, supernatural