AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-21, 18:09   Link #121
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Masamune input on the adaptation of Ghost Hound's original concept, published on the Production I.G. English homepage.

Quote:
Ghost Hound was adapted from a project I had already designed back in 1987. Initially, it was a story of "recognizing and unlocking the unworldly power" told from "multiple perspectives" of three high school boys. At the time, I lacked the appropriate means to illustrate the "other" world, so I had left my project there without venturing to produce it by myself.

The present animated TV series has slightly changed the original theme and focuses on the "loss of unworldly power and transformation to an alien being called adults" as it reveals a story of three junior high school students coming into contact with the adult world. Under such perspective, it could be described as a sort of Bildungsroman. As always, I am deeply indebted again to the anime staff that has given another project a chance. And, as always, I have mixed feelings about the fact that since this is TV animation and not manga, the content will be different from what I initially designed. But if this project turns out to be more entertaining and makes someone happy, then I would say that's the real goal intended.

I am looking forward to seeing how the characters develop and live the story, now that they are luckily given life at last by Production I.G's staff.

Shirow Masamune

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 18:54   Link #122
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

So does that mean we'll be able to understand it now?
Old 2007-10-22, 00:36   Link #123
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Many kudos to Masamune-San for working "bildungsroman" into the discussion - that's gotta be worth extra credit.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 00:38   Link #124
Sakuya
*Artist

Shinsen-Subs just subbed it. That was fast.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 01:56   Link #125
5il3nc3r

Shinsen-Subs is taking on so many series.
5il3nc3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 08:09   Link #126
Mez

nice first ep. reminded me of lain in many ways, from the pacing to the eerie feeling, looking forward to see where this ends up.
Old 2007-10-22, 17:14   Link #127
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Beautiful, this ep screams "done by the guy who did lain" with the huge silences and the weird electrical sounds.But I loved lain.

A very intresting project.I am going to watch it.
Old 2007-10-22, 18:02   Link #128
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Can anyone read Makoto's profile here? I tried to Google translate it, but you know how well that works. It says something about his mother, so I was curious to see if she's still alive or not.
http://www.ghosthound.tv/character.html
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 19:57   Link #129
Echoes

I thought this was an excellent first episode. Though I'm still not very fond of most of the character designs, I think I'll grow accustomed to them soon enough. More importantly, I really like the concept and themes of the show. It is Shirow Masamune, after all, I wouldn't except any less.

The preview for the next episode was very interesting, I for one can't wait.
Old 2007-10-22, 21:21   Link #130
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well not much to comment on first episode and all except I thought the sound design was exceptionally well done. It created just the right mood and easily stood out as the most impressive part of the show so far.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 00:30   Link #131
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
first eps bored me to death. have to fast forward some part to make it less painful, certainly doesn't live up to the hype of production I.G and GITS , lot of WTF and confused moment ~.~
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 13:04   Link #132
Slice of Life
eyewitness

That was the most impressive first episode of this season. Ghost Hound has just won my undivided attention. I just hope I won't eat my words by episode three already ...
Old 2007-10-23, 15:33   Link #133
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Masamune Shirow hell yeah i have several art books and one huge computer generated poster boards which i have signed by him. So freakin excited im going to watch it tonight first thing.
Old 2007-10-23, 21:24   Link #134
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I thought that was a pretty first-rate effort all around - not quite sure what the complainers were looking for, as this is obviously not going to be an action-oriented series. Love the character design, overall visual style and sound design, and the into did a fine job of setting up an intriguing plot. I also thought Kensho Ono was stellar as Tarou (an extremely rare example of an actual teenaged male seiyuu playing a teenaged male). Interesting mix of elements - the vibe is a bit of Satoshi Kon with some Zettai Shounen thrown in, the CD reminiscent of Kamichu. For me, clearly the best first ep of the fall season so far.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2007-10-23 at 21:34.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 05:40   Link #135
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

So far, the interaction between Masayuki and Makoto reminds me of the relationship between Kurogane and Fay from tsubasa Chronicles.
Old 2007-10-24, 16:36   Link #136
Edgewalker
Nani ?

1st episode: This has a lot of potential to it. Will definitely keep watching.

I may stick around to answer questions since some people seem confused about the shows plot. Its actually pretty easy to understand, its just that it makes a lot of use of paranormal themes and assumes you know what they are.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 20:32   Link #137
Isako
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Isako
GH isn't that hard to understand. In fact, I was expecting it to be harder to understand. It was everything I expected it to be

For the complainers saying GH is boring; they are correct. GH will not have action, cheap fan service, and gimmicks to keep you interested. If you only watch anime for those things and not for real substance, looks elsewhere, GH isnt for you. But if you are more of a thinker, GH is perfect

I expect GH to be like Lain action wise. There is little to no action in lain, but more than enough awesome to keep you interested.
Isako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 05:59   Link #138
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Despite the lack of development in the first episode, I find it very interesting, considering that you know that it will eventually lead up to something.
Old 2007-10-25, 21:17   Link #139
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I absolutely loved the first episode. And I would like to add the sound director to my "people that deserve a Christmas present from me" list. Really, that guy did an excellent work. And the visuals are top-noch quality, the VA's are spot on, and you got a very nice OP/ED to ice the cake. I hope this series keeps this trend up
Proto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-26, 03:42   Link #140
Sakuya
*Artist

I got really antsy in the beginning with the fly and the buzzing sound. Especially at first when there was no fly and you could hear it buzzing, it made me really...nervous about what would appear. I've never felt that before in a show and I think the sound director person did a very nice job.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, mystery, production i.g.