AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-20, 21:30   Link #221
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
If you ask me, it's like, she's followed what her mom wanted from her since she was born, but now she's questioning if that was really what she wanted to do. Like she wants something more, or different, than to become a great ballerina like her mother.
Become a great ballerina on a Rideback
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 21:38   Link #222
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Rin lost interest in ballet not because of her goal but because she lost the spark it had for her. If you notice in the first episode, she talks about the sensation of being on stage and doing ballet. To her that was what was important, not so much her mother`s image. It becomes a little more apparent in Ep 2.

Ep 2 will be out later this evening (12am or a bit later Pacific time) since I don`t get off work here in Japan until 5pm. I`ll also do a post summarizing the various changes that`s occurred and roughly where in the manga the event is taking place, `cause ep 3 is taking some leaps forward, pun intended.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 22:35   Link #223
FuzzyWuzzy

Ballerinas do not really have a long career ahead of them. Ballet is a high risk dance that is very prone to injuries. It is really expected that as a person becomes an adult, he or her skills become dull in ballet due to injuries and body changes like gaining weight for example. So Ballet isn't really a skill that stays with you for a long time. You hit a peak and then slowly but steadily drop.

It is a really really really tough art form or dance. It is tough physically and very very tough emotionally and mentally due to extreme amounts of stress.

Having said that, Ballet in this anime is just to give us a background of the main character's physical attributes or capabilities. It is not meant to be a sign of giving up or failing. It is very common for ballet dancers to give up the art due to injuries and stress because sometimes it is far more important to know that the fame or enjoyment you are getting is not enough to sacrifice your health and body.
Old 2009-01-20, 22:46   Link #224
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta
Rin lost interest in ballet not because of her goal but because she lost the spark it had for her. If you notice in the first episode, she talks about the sensation of being on stage and doing ballet. To her that was what was important, not so much her mother's image. It becomes a little more apparent in Ep 2.
Indeed, the expression on Rin's face when she executes her mid-turn pirouette, and her look of pure, innocent exhilaration when she "flew" on Fuego in the previous episode those are the two scenes that win me over to this show. It's hard not to be moved by such sheer joy.

Moreso than the racing scenes however, my interest is piqued by the developing subplot of Rin chasing her mother's memory. It seems to me that one part of her feels guilty about giving up ballet, because it's as though she has let her monther down as a result. Refreshingly, unlike many protagonists in shounen series, Rin had, at some time, chosen to press ahead with a difficult personal decision instead of pulling a predictable Shinji by wallowing in depression. That makes her all the more likeable to me.

The ED, in particular, hints strongly at Rin's true feelings, about ballet and her mother. An aptly chosen song that is now at top of my playlist (the Korean version, still looking for Younha's Japanese cover).
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 23:30   Link #225
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Indeed, the expression on Rin's face when she executes her mid-turn pirouette, and her look of pure, innocent exhilaration when she "flew" on Fuego in the previous episode those are the two scenes that win me over to this show. It's hard not to be moved by such sheer joy.

Moreso than the racing scenes however, my interest is piqued by the developing subplot of Rin chasing her mother's memory. It seems to me that one part of her feels guilty about giving up ballet, because it's as though she has let her monther down as a result. Refreshingly, unlike many protagonists in shounen series, Rin had, at some time, chosen to press ahead with a difficult personal decision instead of pulling a predictable Shinji by wallowing in depression. That makes her all the more likeable to me.

The ED, in particular, hints strongly at Rin's true feelings, about ballet and her mother. An aptly chosen song that is now at top of my playlist (the Korean version, still looking for Younha's Japanese cover).
lol.

I like cute chicks and motorcycles. Especially if they turn into ass-kicking robots.
PEDOS_GRANDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 06:50   Link #226
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I thought it was quite obvious the reason why Rin lost interest in ballet (you know, with it being explained in the first episode). My mistake.
Old 2009-01-21, 15:05   Link #227
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I gotta say when I heard about the premise of this show I was kinda about it, but after watching the first 2 episodes I've definitely changed my mind. This show rocks! I want me a Rideback too!
Old 2009-01-21, 15:20   Link #228
yongshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
I gotta say when I heard about the premise of this show I was kinda about it, but after watching the first 2 episodes I've definitely changed my mind. This show rocks! I want me a Rideback too!
Who wouldn't want a Motorcycle that maintain balance on it's own and can transform into a bipedal robot of sorts?
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 15:33   Link #229
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

episode 2 was great
The leader of the rideback club sure is hot
Old 2009-01-21, 15:54   Link #230
Hyperion
Black Lagoon Social Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
episode 2 was great
The leader of the rideback club sure is hot
You can say that again .

This is quickly becoming my #1 show for 09.
Old 2009-01-21, 17:25   Link #231
cerrian

Of all the scenes in ep 2. the one that really got my attention was Tamayo's monologue about Rin after she decides to take a swim.

It's not often that we get an assessment of a character's potential without having one of the other characters feel threatened. It also does wonders for Tamayo's character because it really does reinforce the sense that she's a leader of some sorts.
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 21:19   Link #232
guess

I would watch this anime for the animation quality alone! The story may be interesting, maybe. I was surprised about Rin's answer to Tamayo. She wants to see what Tamayo has got as an All-japan champion. Ha! Take that! I like this motive, bold yet genius.
Old 2009-01-22, 00:20   Link #233
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

ooh, what a great ep. i wish they had animated the s curve better, but it was already great. Rin is awesome because she knows what she stands for, which is something protagonists these days miss a lot. and yeah, Tamayo sitting and waiting for Rin = teh sex..
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 00:42   Link #234
kujoe
from head to heel

Consider me as one of those interested in this show.

I have to say that this mix of mecha, sports and drama wrapped in a seemingly seinen package is proving to be a winner here. The direction is quite well done with interesting characters, and I love the voice work as well. The overall quality seems nice all around.

I do think however, that the pace of events is a bit fast. Perhaps the manga just has so many chapters that this is a result of trying to put many events together within 12 episodes or so.

I'm also interested in knowing what's behind Tamayo's motivations...

Spoiler for episode 2:
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 09:12   Link #235
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
More hot chicks on bikes please.

What a kick ass episode i have been so impatient since episode 1 so this was a real treat and the racing got stepped up a notch.

Rin is an absolute pleasure to watch from her facial expressions when shes happy to her serious "bring it on bitch" look during the race. On some other forums there were viewers complaining about how she is so good so fast and its painful obvious and it makes me wonder if people actually watch and listen. Some people just have a knack for things also since Rin has take ballet since she was freakin 3 she has incredible balance and super sharp reflexes. Normally i complain when not enough information is given about why a character does what and why but all the info is there for Rin its not hard.

Seeing a little bit more racing this time got my blood pumping seeing two hot girls race on bikes like devils hell to the YES. Tamayo is super ballzy chick who loves speed and competition and shes super hot. We see why she challenged Rin she had a sense that Rin was just like her and she wanted to test her theory i believe Rin proved herself quite the Rider this time out except for the dip in the lake but she is still learning. The fact that she got right back up and continued the race shows shes got it.

That little mid air pirouette move off a 90 degree turn Rin pulled off during the race was insane shes that kind of rider it was amazing and also we see the look on her face and Tamoyo's LOL. Rin was trying to get the same feeling she got from episode 1 when she took the jump and she achieved it. I believe is going to show that Ride Backs can do more than what people originally thought. What made it even more cool is right after she moved backed into the spread legs form almost instantly Its too bad that Tamayo went down i would have liked to see them finish. But it seems Tamayo will get her chance to race Rin again seriously in the upcoming race.

I must say they have done a superb job with the music in this series. The hard thumping techno music combined with the sounds of the Ride Back is perfect. The music conveys speed and gets your adrenaline going almost like you are there watching first hand. Some hard rock music would also work for the race scenes but right now i love the techno they are using and i hope it will keep reoccurring through out the series until the OST is released.

We really need some avi's of the girls on their Ride Backs but some of the scenes are so fast i dont know if any good avatars can be made from them.
Old 2009-01-22, 11:06   Link #236
FuzzyWuzzy

The move she did defies the laws of physics however but it is an anime and anime tend to do that stuff.
Old 2009-01-22, 11:15   Link #237
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
The move she did defies the laws of physics however but it is an anime and anime tend to do that stuff.
Yep throw the laws of physics out of your head when watching anime you will enjoy the show a lot more.
Old 2009-01-22, 11:39   Link #238
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Me want Rin's pink toy.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 12:55   Link #239
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

Me want Rin's pink toy.
What actually is the toy? Some kind of sponge? :P