AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-27, 14:27   Link #1
Katapan
俺様祭り

True tearjerkers (action is a plus).

With the upcoming break, I'd love to marathon a new series that would make for a good tearjerker. A few deaths are always awful to me if I get to get close to the characters (which I tend to do much more easily when I see the whole series in a few days at most).
As you can tell from the following list, most of the series that have really moved me included some action (perhaps because people die more often in these?) - I'm open to all suggestions though. Please note that I don't tend to find some of the most popular "dramatic" series that sad (I have not been able to shed a single tear after watching Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Kanon or even Air, even though I enjoyed them).

Some examples of anime that made me cry for hours:
- Mai Hime
- Noein
- ZEGAPAIN
- Shakugan no Shana
- Blood+
- Full Moon wo Sagashite
- Haibane Renmei
- Red Garden
- Mai Otome
and Rozen Maiden, kind of.

Thanks for trying to help!

Last edited by Katapan; 2007-03-27 at 15:29.
Old 2007-03-27, 14:43   Link #2
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
-Saishu Heiki Kanojo (known in french as "L'arme Ultime")
-Tombstone for the Fireflies (le Tombeau des Luciolles)
-Chrno Crusade (well... mainly action with a tearjerker end... somewhat like Shakugan no Shana, but way more depressive)

meh... nothing much in my mind ~~
Old 2007-03-27, 14:50   Link #3
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Hm... the stuff that makes you cry seems to be rather ...unusual? I hope you don't mind me saying this

Hm...you could try
Saikano (not my personal recommendation, but a lot of people find it very sad)
Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu - pretty similar to Saikano in a way... only better
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora

... hm...need to add something unusual for a tearjerker suggestion ...

Fantastic Children perhaps.
Elfen Lied
Old 2007-03-27, 14:59   Link #4
jedinat
フリーター

Figure 17 - very sad
Fruits Basket - may induce some of those "feel good" tears
Old 2007-03-27, 14:59   Link #5
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Hm... the stuff that makes you cry seems to be rather ...unusual? I hope you don't mind me saying this
It's fine, I'm totally aware of it I suppose the only thing that never fails to make me cry is a well executed death. You can imagine my state after watching Mai Hime if you've seen it...

I've seen Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora and I loved it, but it wasn't long enough for me to get close to the characters and end up crying. The same goes for Elfen Lied.
I'll give the other suggestions a try, thanks a lot
Old 2007-03-27, 15:04   Link #6
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Oh, i felt like crying after Mai Hime as well, because the ending was just that horrible. Way to ruin otherwise excellent anime
Old 2007-03-27, 15:14   Link #7
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
You can imagine my state after watching Mai Hime if you've seen it...
Spoiler for Mai HiME's ending:

Anyway, since you are looking for deaths of important characters, I will list some of those that have really moved me:

Wolf's Rain
Red Garden
Madlax
Soukyuu no Fafner

Needless to say most deaths come close to the end of these series, so don't start complaining if no one dies at first (though that's certainly not a problem at least in Red Garden ).

And if you read manga and can handle a lot of graphic violence, Battle Royale might be right up your alley. There is awful lot of characters dying in it.

Old 2007-03-27, 15:28   Link #8
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Spoiler for Mai HiME's ending:
Spoiler for Mai HiME:

Red Garden should have made it to the first list: I was truly moved by

Spoiler for spoilers from the last episodes:

Thanks again for the other series that I haven't seen yet.
Old 2007-03-27, 15:41   Link #9
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I suppose Soukou no Strain is worth giving a shot as well.
Old 2007-03-27, 18:08   Link #10
ShounenOnmyoujiiscoo
ShounenOnmyouji22

Chrono Crusade because of the ending
Old 2007-03-27, 18:14   Link #11
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
oops wrong post wth

I second Chrno Crusade and try Fate also for Chrno Crusade like ending....
Old 2007-03-27, 18:22   Link #12
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
noone said AIR O.o and while you are at it you might as well throw in kanon :3 (then you will love key's stories)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-03-27, 18:28   Link #13
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
noone said AIR O.o and while you are at it you might as well throw in kanon :3 (then you will love key's stories)
"Please note that I don't tend to find some of the most popular "dramatic" series that sad (I have not been able to shed a single tear after watching Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Kanon or even Air, even though I enjoyed them)."

Old 2007-03-27, 18:57   Link #14
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

You could try Trigun, if you can live past the first episodes that many people don't like for a reason that escapes me, probably because it's on the somewhat silly side, which I don't mind, they were funny.

And I'm with you on the MaiHime ending

Who shall I second... Hmm...
Saikano probably, although I'm trying to forget I ever saw that.
Irya no Sora is nice but too short, although I do think it's more powerful than HanTsuki so you might give it a try.
And I'll take the opportunity to praise Fantastic Children, which I believe is seriously underrated.
Strange you didn't find Air depressing Kanon, it depends on the adaptations, Toei's adaptation was more dramatic, but Makoto's arc was as dramatic in the second adaptation. KGNE is too overrated if you ask me. Just some mediocre soap opera scenario seen everyday in some horrible series with a crappy ending

You COULD watch Chobits, I believe it gets tearful at some point, no action though
I'll also recommend this movie : "Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho" or "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" (or something between those lines).
Old 2007-03-27, 22:26   Link #15
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
With the upcoming break, I'd love to marathon a new series that would make for a good tearjerker. A few deaths are always awful to me if I get to get close to the characters (which I tend to do much more easily when I see the whole series in a few days at most).
As you can tell from the following list, most of the series that have really moved me included some action (perhaps because people die more often in these?) - I'm open to all suggestions though. Please note that I don't tend to find some of the most popular "dramatic" series that sad (I have not been able to shed a single tear after watching Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Kanon or even Air, even though I enjoyed them).
I'm assuming from this that you mean you like character deaths that happen within their control or their choice. Sort of like when the hero makes a last stand or something, not like Kanon, AIR and KGNE where the sad events are mostly outside of anyone's control. That seems to be consistent with these series:
Quote:
- Mai Hime
- Noein
- Haibane Renmei
- Red Garden
- Mai Otome
and Rozen Maiden, kind of.
And I haven't seen enough of these ones to tell one way or the other:
Quote:
- ZEGAPAIN
- Blood+
- Full Moon wo Sagashite
I can't really figure out what you find so sad about this one.
Quote:
- Shakugan no Shana
I'm also assuming that resets/resurrections don't bother you since you seem to have been fine with Mai-Hime's. If that's roughly accurate to what you're looking for, then the following series have some notable dramatic deaths:
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Tsukuyomi Moon Phase
- Galaxy Railways
- Gunslinger Girls

And the following series have notable deaths that happen either near or at the end of the series:
- Chrono Crusade
- Cowboy Bebop
- Burst Angel (though I'm not especially fond of Burst Angel itself)
- Utawarerumono
- Samurai 7

And didn't something similar happen in Scrapped Princess?

I thought this list would be a lot longer, sorry. I just noticed that this type of series has a disproportionately higher chance of being licensed in the U.S.
Old 2007-03-28, 05:42   Link #16
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
"Please note that I don't tend to find some of the most popular "dramatic" series that sad (I have not been able to shed a single tear after watching Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Kanon or even Air, even though I enjoyed them)."

thx for that...i should learn to read moar!

well you might want to try mahou sensei negima ~ the first series to make me cry...(tho it comes rather late in the story so everything was unexpected...)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-03-28, 06:21   Link #17
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
I can't really figure out what you find so sad about this one.
Spoiler for last episode of Shakugan no Shana:

What you described does sound like everything I would find sad, thanks for making that out of my confusing description.

Let's see, out of all these suggestions:
- I've seen Soukou no Strain and Chobits, but only found them decent, none of the characters felt close.
- I don't know what to do with Negima!, since I've been spoiled about the first version's ending and I doubt it'll have much impact that way (which is really annoying since I'm sure it'd have worked perfectly otherwise). Plus I've been spoiled by Negima!?'s character designs, I wonder how well I'd bear the Xebec ones...
- I have yet to finish Utawarerumono. I thought it had its ups and downs, but I suppose it can make for great dramatic stuff by the end, so I'd better hurry up and watch the last few episodes.

Thanks again to everyone, I definitely won't be bored before a while.
Old 2007-03-28, 07:28   Link #18
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Gungrave. Don't tell the premise or the first ep deter you, it's a really dramatic series, and among the better action/drama anime.

Gankutsuou. Light on action, but heavy on drama. Not really a tearjerker as such, but a brilliant series.

Second Fantastic Children. Underrated gem.
Old 2007-03-28, 07:46   Link #19
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Gankutsuou. Light on action, but heavy on drama. Not really a tearjerker as such, but a brilliant series.
I was also going to mention Gankutsuou. I think it has lots of really dramatic and sad moments, but none of them are necessarily centered around character deaths though - on the other hand, it is the same kind of drama.
Old 2007-03-28, 12:33   Link #20
Frans

Gungrave definitely had a lot of sad moments. I don't find Saikano too sad, but the ova (another love song?) bring more tears to me.
As for KimiNozo, i also didn't find it too sad, rather it was more of a pain in my heart and my head (in a good way of course).
I want to recommend Basilisk, since it definitely one of those tragic anime and have a lot of deaths. But somehow I don't cry over this, maybe because I knew it would end like that.
Gundam Seed - far better in terms of storyline than the Destiny part, and have a lots of dramatic, emotional and potentially sad moments.
But the one I would really recommend is PlanetEs. It's not a tearjerker in a sense that this isn't a sad or tragic stories, but the dramatic part near the end definitely one of the best moment that I have ever watch in an anime. The problem with this anime is it started very slow.. and it's kinda slice of life without the cute girls and guys.

There are other animes that have been mentioned already, so I wont repeat it again (Gungrave is a special case, because it's somewhat underrated).
So my recommendation would be Gungrave, Gundam Seed, Basilisk, PlanetEs, Saikano OVA.
Oh yeah, since someone mention Fafner, I would also recommend the OVA (Left to Right?) too. If i'm not mistaken, the OVA is more tragic than the TV series. It's a one episode OVA.

Btw, why anyone didn't recommend Gundam Seed already? Am I the only person who moved to tears when watching some of the dramatic moments in this anime? or I'm just weird? I can think at least four parts in the anime that made me shed my tears.
Closed Thread