AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 250 69.83%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 61 17.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 6.98%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 3.07%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 1.40%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.28%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 0.84%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-04-03, 05:11   Link #641
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
-The rebel attack on Tokyo: Again, the Britannian military is shown to be utterly incompetent. I realize that it's not always easy to make a character look like a genius (especially a strategic/tactical genius), but doing so by making his enemies look like idiots is usually a sign of poor writing. This is especially true given that Cornelia was supposed to be fairly capable herself.
While I don't necessarily agree with what else you considered bad in this episode, this point really strikes home. It's good because it's a feel-good moment for the OotbK, but it does not hold up to close scrutiny. This also applies to a number of other moments in the anime, starting with moving the king in episode one - moving the king is a horrible idea 99% of the time, until the game goes into endspiel. And after he said "if the king doesn't move, the subjects don't follow", I really had to cringe. Then, the whole IFF and stealing Knightmares and handing them to the rebels deal was a bit sketchy, if borderline believable. But Lulu's "analysis" of Lancelot's movements did not sound particularly convincing either.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 05:31   Link #642
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
While I don't necessarily agree with what else you considered bad in this episode, this point really strikes home. It's good because it's a feel-good moment for the OotbK, but it does not hold up to close scrutiny. This also applies to a number of other moments in the anime, starting with moving the king in episode one - moving the king is a horrible idea 99% of the time, until the game goes into endspiel. And after he said "if the king doesn't move, the subjects don't follow", I really had to cringe. Then, the whole IFF and stealing Knightmares and handing them to the rebels deal was a bit sketchy, if borderline believable. But Lulu's "analysis" of Lancelot's movements did not sound particularly convincing either.
First, I completely disagree about the king move; The king is a legitimate piece in the game, not a damsel in distress. Correct placement of pawns around the king can make the group a formidable force when moved together.
(I loved that game I played, when my King dodged a frustrated Queen and Rook as it marched across the board between a forest of pawns, and finally was involved in the checkmate of the enemy.)

Further, Lulu came at a stage of the game when the originally player thought he was doomed. This implies that the King was in danger anyhow and that it either needed to move to safety or move pieces back to protect it. I do believe Lulu is the offensive type of player so he would chose to move the King instead of going defensive.
And finally, it was clear the opponent did not even consider the King an offensive piece at all. Thus he most likely did not plan for what Lulu did, and thus wrecking his game plan.
And to add another point, when Lulu said what he said about moving the King, it is most likely used as an insult to the noblemen rather than for divulging any genuine strategy. Psychologically it is a important weapon to unsettle his opponent.
(And as another point, that game I mentioned before ended with the enemy King checkmated in the castled position. Just because your King hadn't moved much doesn't mean it can't die.)

As for predicting Lancelot's movements?

You can blame Sunrise for that; Lancelot used many recycled moves that was standard in Sunrise mechas.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 05:39   Link #643
Friera
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oslo, Norway
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to Friera
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Most likely Chinese, and we have no clue who it is (yet). Maybe another Geas user, or another antagonist for Lulu.
Does antyone has a snapshot of him?

I hate when good anime's get a second season, though I'm REALLY hape Code Geass gets one. Really, I haven't seen such a good anime for a long time. And there are only 3 episodes left!
__________________
Tralle!
Friera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 06:14   Link #644
mist2123
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: M.U
Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friera View Post
Does antyone has a snapshot of him?

I hate when good anime's get a second season, though I'm REALLY hape Code Geass gets one. Really, I haven't seen such a good anime for a long time. And there are only 3 episodes left!
here is the image


mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 06:26   Link #645
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mist2123 View Post
The background looks like the Three Gorges. Looks like it didn't get flooded in the Code Geass universe...
Or maybe, not yet. Code Geass is set quite many years in the past, after all.
__________________

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2007-04-03 at 06:39.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 06:31   Link #646
saner
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
So...

Suzaku = Guts?
Lelouch = Griffith/Femto?
Black Nights = Band of Hawks?



Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
It's Berserk but... comparing Suzaku to Guts is a serious insult to Guts

I agree completely, don't compare Guts to Suzaku!
saner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 11:40   Link #647
ccardoso
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by saner View Post
I agree completely, don't compare Guts to Suzaku!
Suzaku is Shinn of GSD, they're twins.
ccardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 11:41   Link #648
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
First, I completely disagree about the king move; The king is a legitimate piece in the game, not a damsel in distress. Correct placement of pawns around the king can make the group a formidable force when moved together.
Read my sentence again. I'm not saying it's bad to move the king. I'm saying it's mostly bad to do so before endspiel. Before the game moves into endspiel, the King is the weakest piece on the board - you mostly only move him to castle or to move out of check. Your pawn formation will fall apart if the enemy still has superior firepower remaining.

If you can checkmate an enemy with your king while he still has a queen and rook, you are not playing against even remotely competent players. There is also a way to end a game in just two moves after it starts, but that doesn't really mean anything as far as a serious game is concerned.

Next, a doomed position does not mean the king is in immediate danger. It could easily mean an overwhelming disadvantage in material or zone of control.

Lastly, Lulu's line about the king moving is not divulging any psychological effect or strategy or whatever, it's just there to make him look cool to the audience. Which is why it's so horrible that it makes me cringe, all the more so because I like Lulu's character
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 12:22   Link #649
ashlay
the red string of fate
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccardoso View Post
Suzaku is Shinn of GSD, they're twins.
don't you mean kira?

anyway, Shinn was a severly underwritten character. (like...well almost everyone in GSD) and Geass decidely doesn't have that problem.


still, somewhat interesting that Suzaku decided to use Euphemia's phone.
__________________
Memento mori
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 12:56   Link #650
HunterRequiem
Resident cynic
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Salinas, CA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to HunterRequiem
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Read my sentence again. I'm not saying it's bad to move the king. I'm saying it's mostly bad to do so before endspiel. Before the game moves into endspiel, the King is the weakest piece on the board - you mostly only move him to castle or to move out of check. Your pawn formation will fall apart if the enemy still has superior firepower remaining.

If you can checkmate an enemy with your king while he still has a queen and rook, you are not playing against even remotely competent players. There is also a way to end a game in just two moves after it starts, but that doesn't really mean anything as far as a serious game is concerned.

Next, a doomed position does not mean the king is in immediate danger. It could easily mean an overwhelming disadvantage in material or zone of control.

Lastly, Lulu's line about the king moving is not divulging any psychological effect or strategy or whatever, it's just there to make him look cool to the audience. Which is why it's so horrible that it makes me cringe, all the more so because I like Lulu's character

From looking at the board, I don't think Lulouch's move was actually legal. The queen would have put his king into check if he made any offensive movements. Also ironic, the game was pretty much perfectly balanced; the only offset was that the nobleman's queen was so close to the king. Their pieces were identical o_0

if anyone can get me a snapshot of the chess board, Ill explain myself. (I don't have the tech to do it myself )
HunterRequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 13:14   Link #651
mist2123
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: M.U
Send a message via AIM to mist2123
here
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 13:46   Link #652
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterRequiem View Post
From looking at the board, I don't think Lulouch's move was actually legal. The queen would have put his king into check if he made any offensive movements. Also ironic, the game was pretty much perfectly balanced; the only offset was that the nobleman's queen was so close to the king. Their pieces were identical o_0

if anyone can get me a snapshot of the chess board, Ill explain myself. (I don't have the tech to do it myself )
No, there was no danger of check actually. I can't take a screenshot for some reason, but around 4:30-4:40 you get a clear glimpse of the board. Also Lelouch had one more pawn but was in a slightly worse positional play. Furthermore, moving the king (or any other piece) would have resulted in c6xb7, eroding his material advantage, applying mild pressure to the rook at a8, and threatening an eventual promotion along the b or c file. Another move for white might be c6-c7, but the promotion sqare on the c file is covered by the black queen. At first glance, Lelouch does not really have any good moves in that position, but the only move that does not immediately result in a disadvantage would probably be a preventive b7xc6.

Somehow this is turning into a chess discourse, lol. We should probably get back on topic somehow. Well, I suppose this can be considered a spoiler for episode 1.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 14:09   Link #653
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
While I don't necessarily agree with what else you considered bad in this episode, this point really strikes home. It's good because it's a feel-good moment for the OotbK, but it does not hold up to close scrutiny. This also applies to a number of other moments in the anime, starting with moving the king in episode one - moving the king is a horrible idea 99% of the time, until the game goes into endspiel. And after he said "if the king doesn't move, the subjects don't follow", I really had to cringe. Then, the whole IFF and stealing Knightmares and handing them to the rebels deal was a bit sketchy, if borderline believable. But Lulu's "analysis" of Lancelot's movements did not sound particularly convincing either.
Of course, when receiving a gut wound is usually enough to give a woman amnesia and rewrite her personality from "strong and aggressive" to "feminine housekeeper," I'm sure we can assume that Code Geass is pretty campy.

I'm sure we can spend all day picking out various inconsistencies in the plot, but that would involve a lot of dead catgirls.
Twisted Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 14:14   Link #654
HunterRequiem
Resident cynic
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Salinas, CA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to HunterRequiem
I checked out the board position myself with my own chessboard. Lulouch is black, correct? Black can checkmate in three moves if it moves its king h6xg6, the rook a8xh8, and then the queen h3xh2. (god, its been a long time with the chess terminology). If Lulouch was white, the best move would be e3xf1 to prevent the queen from checkmating his king.
HunterRequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 14:28   Link #655
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterRequiem View Post
I checked out the board position myself with my own chessboard. Lulouch is black, correct? Black can checkmate in three moves if it moves its king h6xg6, the rook a8xh8, and then the queen h3xh2. (god, its been a long time with the chess terminology). If Lulouch was white, the best move would be e3xf1 to prevent the queen from checkmating his king.
Nice one, totally didn't catch that one. But h3-h2 wouldn't result in a checkmate, since the white king could still escape to f1 (assuming he did not make the e3-f1 move).... h3-h1 would be a checkmate tho. And it doesn't look like there's anything white can do to prevent this move sequence (not even with e3-f1 and moving first, since that won't affect h1). Haha I have some newfound respect for Code Geass, this is pretty awesome
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 15:18   Link #656
cf18
Mecha Pilot
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Heh...

"Lelouch no Chess" - an OVA of an alternate geass universe. Britannia's Emperor, like the rest of Britannia, was crazy about chess and intend to give the throne to best chess player among his kids. 7 years ago, Prince Lelouch was sent to Japan after he was wrongfully accused of cheating in front of the Emperor and was banned from playing chess again. His mother supposedly killed herself out of shame, but Lelouch knows that is not the truth. His little sister Nunnally choose to live with him and gave up on chess, which she loves.

After secretly studying chess with an Japanese chess expert Suzaku, Lelouch encountered a ghost called CC, who knows nothing about chess but gave Lelouch a power that can make his opponent make one bad move. Now he is ready to take on the chess world as a masked guy called "Zero", for revenge and for his little sister.

cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 15:27   Link #657
Juvyniled
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: California
Age: 27
Suzaku a chess expert? Even I'd have to laugh at that comment.
Juvyniled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 15:34   Link #658
HunterRequiem
Resident cynic
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Salinas, CA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to HunterRequiem
I think strategy is one of his weakest points...
Funny idea though XD I like it.
HunterRequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 15:37   Link #659
cf18
Mecha Pilot
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Hay I gota write that standard best-friend & rival in somehow.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 15:41   Link #660
SuperAsuradaGundam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Send a message via AIM to SuperAsuradaGundam
Are you talking about the chessboard in the first episode or the show as a chess game up to this point? because I'm lost here.
__________________
In life, there are those who take things too seriously and bust on everything and those who just relax and enjoy it for what it is.
SuperAsuradaGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.