AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 250 69.83%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 61 17.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 6.98%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 3.07%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 1.40%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.28%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 0.84%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-04-21, 15:05   Link #801
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ well it is a fantasy world they have giant crushing KF but havent got nuclear weapons so that makes things even (thats until nina completes her nuke )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 16:20   Link #802
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvyniled View Post
The people that designed the nuclear warhead WANTED to. It wasn't just a matter of whim; they wanted to possess the power encompassed by such a device. Who knows, Nina's probably pissed enough to the point that she would want such a thing... but it's not as if she can have it ready just on the snap of a finger. Now a nuclear powered frame is not so difficult to imagine... she probably redesigned the parts of the frame as to utilize U-238 (assuming that was the 'gift' and assuming sakuradite and uranium are "interchangeable").

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that only U-235 is fissile. U-238 can be used as a fuel source however.
Yeah, it's probably 235, but screw it...plutonium for the win!

Anyway, this is Code Geass. It's not so much that they can't explain things as things are *improbable* but occur for dramatic reasons. Yes, I'm still going to complain about Mao getting enough materials and manpower for a complex pendulum bomb and Viletta getting a personality rewrite from getting shot. Yes, Mao can probably coerce people using his knowledge of other people's secrets but not everybody has such convenient psychological baggage lying around. Yes, the trauma from a gunshot wound *might* cause amnesia. Either way, it's highly *unlikely.*

Point is, saying that Nina can't have the materials to make a nuke at "the snap of a finger' and positing it as logic seems pointless. If the characters *need* something, then they *have* it. Need Lancelot? Need a hypnotic amnesia eye ray? Guren? Gawain? Pendulum bomb? Mounted ceiling turret? a hot spring that can trigger a landslide? A conveniently fragile city foundation? Nuke?

Anyway it is possible that she might channel fission into some sort of mecha super-science but it just seems to be a hard sell. I mean, Sakuradite was probably preferred to uranium for Knightmares anyway. This would explain why uranium was pushed aside. (Besides uranium isn't a superconducter.)

Last edited by Twisted Reality; 2007-04-21 at 16:31.
Twisted Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 18:52   Link #803
Juvyniled

While it seems pointless to argue the the possible existence of such matter as frames or sakuradite or coincidental occurences... but uranium and atomic weapons are one facet that CAN be explained... unless they wish to warp the understanding of it of course. It's easy to use the excuse, hey, it's anime, anything goes. But is that how they really wish to proceed with this? If Nina were already working on it, and she were not a student at some academy, I'd find it more sell-able.
Juvyniled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 14:39   Link #804
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
they could use both for like Sakuradite for conduting the massive energy from nuclear reactor to create a full powered hax KF
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 04:30   Link #805
hipeach

Nina is Einstein, she can make a nuke herself no sweat.
hipeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 05:41   Link #806
arkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Reality View Post
Yeah, it's probably 235, but screw it...plutonium for the win!

Anyway, this is Code Geass. It's not so much that they can't explain things as things are *improbable* but occur for dramatic reasons. Yes, I'm still going to complain about Mao getting enough materials and manpower for a complex pendulum bomb and Viletta getting a personality rewrite from getting shot. Yes, Mao can probably coerce people using his knowledge of other people's secrets but not everybody has such convenient psychological baggage lying around.
Sure not everyone does, but he only needs to find those people that do and that will be able to provide him with what he needs, which again given his power shouldn't be too difficult for him to find.
arkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 13:30   Link #807
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
Sure not everyone does, but he only needs to find those people that do and that will be able to provide him with what he needs, which again given his power shouldn't be too difficult for him to find.
And? He has to smuggle explosives onto the campus of a wealthy school in the middle of a Brittanian settlement. Is he going to be able to bypass security with that much ordinance? Can you really find that much manpower lying around to transport it and install an "amateur bomb" several dozen feet up off the floor in the depths of a sewer? How many eyes do you think you'd need to close while you're trying to thread all that hardware into a sewer?

Just because you can explain it doesn't make it unbelievably improbable. Just because Mao has a Geass power doesn't mean they had to drag out his stupid rivalry with Lelouch for another episode. It's already well proven that the things that Mao does in that episode were supposed to be well beyond his imagination or ability to accomplish. That's a really big character hiccup there and it's just poor writing. ("Ha! Ha! Ha! I entrap Inu Yasha and company on an unnecessarily slow lowering mechanism into a pool of mutant bass! I'm soooo smart!")

Just because he can manipulate a few angsty teenagers doesn't mean that the entire "black market," police and a slew of construction workers are as susceptible to his blackmail or coercion. This is especially true if you consider that the above parties are more likely to brutalize or kill Mao then give into his demands. Really, come to think of it, why didn't he just blow Zero's identity wide open? (Because Zero can't be revealed this early in the plotline.) That would have been a lot easier and more practical than a pendulum bomb and kidnapping Nunally.

Last edited by Twisted Reality; 2007-04-27 at 13:43.
Twisted Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 11:03   Link #808
HunterRequiem
Resident cynic

Send a message via AIM to HunterRequiem
Remember, Mao is pretty much insane. Although I think its appropriate to say that this is far out of his scope, the manefestation of his love(?) for CC and hate of Lulouch is apparent in what he does. Mao wanted personal revenge; blowing Zero's cover wouldn't have been quite effective enough. Since Mao can read minds (and seems to be slightly sadistic), making Lulouch suffer was Mao's preffered choice of revenge.
Old 2007-04-28, 17:59   Link #809
Juvyniled

Can you blame a guy who hears everyone's thoughts constantly? He has to remove himself from society just to have peace of mind. He was practically abandoned by a mother-like figure, and he was only a child at the time as well. The sadistic nature of his is rather annoying however. Vengeance is one thing, taking delight in dealing pain.... that's just too much to improve Lelouch's character in comparison of the two.
Juvyniled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 20:45   Link #810
HunterRequiem
Resident cynic

Send a message via AIM to HunterRequiem
Just making an objective observation. I won't get into wheather he deserved to die.
Old 2007-04-29, 19:14   Link #811
Kusaja

Talking about any nukes is pretty much speculation at this point, so I'm not going to jump ahead to that just yet...though they could still come up with an improbable explanation for something like it, if the staff wanted to do so.

On the other hand, Mao's coming back was never a favorite moment of mine, to put it lightly (I suppose it was a plot device to bring Suzaku's "secret" out into the open, but better ways could have been found with a little creativity...they could have extended the confrontation as a whole, instead of giving us two "separate" resolutions for it), so I'm not going to defend anything related to that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Reality View Post
Yes, the trauma from a gunshot wound *might* cause amnesia. Either way, it's highly *unlikely.*
IIRC, the scene where Ougi picks her up also seemed to allow for her head's having hit the rocks off-screen, which is plausible given the situation...so maybe it wasn't only the gunshot wound itself after all, though I admit the evidence is only circumstancial.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 15:16   Link #812
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
^ well it is a fantasy world they have giant crushing KF but havent got nuclear weapons so that makes things even (thats until nina completes her nuke )
Oh man i just depressed again thinking about that psycho and what the hell she might be building. Thanks Deathkillz

why is it the most brilliant of people are usual the most unstable
Old 2007-05-02, 22:39   Link #813
Essenar
Fallen Angel

Send a message via AIM to Essenar
I thought this episode was very controversial. From a plot criticism stand point, it was flawless. The perfect event happened to make the series have as much conflict and hatred it needs to make a dramatic second half.

The problem was the execution. I thought him joking about obedience orders and how he can tell anyone anything and they'll do it, was a little out of place. It was kind of like, "Why did he even start saying that?" And he didn't even say it as a command. He said "If I say 'kill the Japanese." If the Geass was really on when he said that, theoretically she would only follow a command under the pretense "kill the Japanese.". He didn't actually GIVE her the command to kill the Japanese, and that's weird and out of place with most of the series, considering in every other situation with Geass he has to be clear about what he says when he commands someone. When he uses broad commands, there's side effects or they only work to a certain extent. It's not the same as his command to Suzaku to "live", because that was a direct command, it wasn't with any other part of a command like, "If I tell you "Live." I don't know, maybe I just don't like how it turned out, but I think they could've used a different way for him to accidentally tell her to kill Japanese people. Him saying, "If I say 'kill the Japanese'", is more of a pretense command than it is a direct command.

I mean, the whole Geass being on all the time and how it happened to her makes sense, but it would've made more sense for him to reveal to her the properties of Geass and its existence, before he "accidentally" gave her the Japanese kill order.

To me, that was the one major flaw of the episode, the rather out of place trigger to the plot twist.

Other than that, everything else was kind of dark and depressing.

I didn't like Suzaku, but Euphie was fine to me. I actually started to grow on Euphie a bit, but them killing her off like that. That was a little harsh and rather disheartening. Then again, it hit me that this whole thing is done by Clamp right? So of course you'd have to expect a little bit of some sad events and evil plot twists.

I think you guys are digging too deep into why Euphie resisted the command a bit and the whole nuclear weapon thing existing.

As far as Euphie resisting the Geass a bit, I think it's a simple reason. First, the command was accidental, so maybe it was weak in the beginning and he couldn't reverse it. And it probably didn't affect her as much with Suzaku because she's in love with him, and when you really love someone you don't identify them by race or skin color, it's just their name, their face and what they mean to you.

As for the whole nuclear thing and Nina... I don't think anything is out of reach with "Anime science" and you're not going to really win an argument about what can or can't exist in an anime show. Anything can happen, and by deduction we can figure she's gonna come at Zero with a huge weapon, and probably die in some dramatic way crying about Euphie while she dies.

This series is definitely one of those bitter/sweet anime though. I had to watch Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya just to get myself away from feeling depressed.
Essenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 23:06   Link #814
GarBhaD
Zetsubou shita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essenar View Post
Then again, it hit me that this whole thing is done by Clamp right? So of course you'd have to expect a little bit of some sad events and evil plot twists.
It's not. It's an original story by Sunrise staff. Clamp only did character designs.
Quote:
As far as Euphie resisting the Geass a bit, I think it's a simple reason. First, the command was accidental, so maybe it was weak in the beginning and he couldn't reverse it. And it probably didn't affect her as much with Suzaku because she's in love with him, and when you really love someone you don't identify them by race or skin color, it's just their name, their face and what they mean to you.
I bet there's more to this than it seems, but we'll have to wait for the explanations about how Geass really works. For example, why did Suzaku could "see" CC in ep 22? What did she mean with that?
Quote:
As for the whole nuclear thing and Nina... Anything can happen, and by deduction we can figure she's gonna come at Zero with a huge weapon, and probably die in some dramatic way crying about Euphie while she dies.
Can't wait
GarBhaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 23:20   Link #815
Essenar
Fallen Angel

Send a message via AIM to Essenar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarBhaD View Post
It's not. It's an original story by Sunrise staff. Clamp only did character designs.

I bet there's more to this than it seems, but we'll have to wait for the explanations about how Geass really works. For example, why did Suzaku could "see" CC in ep 22? What did she mean with that?

Can't wait
1) Didn't know that, the sad and depressing parts are still really "Clamp-ish". Just think of Sorata from X 1999 and Subaru.

2) Well, V.V. was there when they activated that platform tile thing that dropped them into the tunnel where Zero ninja-looted the Gawain. I'm guessing V.V. did something to Suzaku because CC's involvement probably has something to do with it. I'm pretty sure Geass is a definitive power, but the effects are either tampered with depending on the victim's relation to the Geass user, or there are more powers at work. This would explain why there's foreshadowing that Shirley is going to remember or have some kind of feelings for Lelouch again. This would also explain the effects that Suzaku is experiencing and why Euphie was able to resist a bit. I agree with you, there's more we need to know though. I'm jumping to conclusions a bit, mostly speculating.

3) Me neither!
Essenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-09, 09:21   Link #816
m-san
Narcoleptic Insomniac

Quote:
The problem was the execution. I thought him joking about obedience orders and how he can tell anyone anything and they'll do it, was a little out of place. It was kind of like, "Why did he even start saying that?" And he didn't even say it as a command. He said "If I say 'kill the Japanese." If the Geass was really on when he said that, theoretically she would only follow a command under the pretense "kill the Japanese.". He didn't actually GIVE her the command to kill the Japanese, and that's weird and out of place with most of the series, considering in every other situation with Geass he has to be clear about what he says when he commands someone. When he uses broad commands, there's side effects or they only work to a certain extent. It's not the same as his command to Suzaku to "live", because that was a direct command, it wasn't with any other part of a command like, "If I tell you "Live." I don't know, maybe I just don't like how it turned out, but I think they could've used a different way for him to accidentally tell her to kill Japanese people. Him saying, "If I say 'kill the Japanese'", is more of a pretense command than it is a direct command.
Come to think of it, maybe it went on like this:

Lelouch: "If I say..."
*Geass unknowingly activates* (note that they were looking at each other in this scene)
"... kill all the Japanese, it doesn't matter what you think."

Maybe it had to do with the timing of the permanent activation?

About the V.V incident on the island, when Suzaku just froze, at first I thought it was Lelouch's Geass command in effect. But after rewatching that bit just now, I saw he wasn't under the effect of Lelouch's Geass. Nothing on his eyes. I was thinking, maybe it was sort of like when C.C. did that contract with Lelouch, only now it's V.V with Suzaku? Maybe that's why he saw C.C. in the Gawain, maybe he gained that bit of power back then on the island?
Old 2007-05-09, 13:03   Link #817
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

You don't gain that power / geass potential, you're born with it.

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!
Majek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 06:07   Link #818
yrael32
Kami ang... Maskman!

Maybe or maybe not. Hell, for all we know he can gain laser vision and whatnot.
Old 2007-05-10, 12:04   Link #819
Nunnally
kind hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Oh man i just depressed again thinking about that psycho and what the hell she might be building. Thanks Deathkillz

why is it the most brilliant of people are usual the most unstable
lool

maybe she is building a new type of Knightmare Frame and she will use it to kill Zero ( lulu ) ...
Nunnally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 15:41   Link #820
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
this may abit old anyways
i was rewatching Code Geass and i find out that the ending of ep1 resembles with the ending of ep23 with Lelouch and his evil smile
is this a coincidence or was it on purpose by the director ?

Credits to Pellissier for the sig
Noppapana is offline   Reply With Quote