AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-03-30, 04:06   Link #1
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Magic!? (post a question or video and try to explain it, simple simple)

(Scroll to the bottom for main point)

Also just in case someone ask about it, don't post youtube movies like "rate that anime op/ed thread." I don't want those here. A direct link would be better, since I don't want it any more bandwith intensive as it is long.

-The title has an exclamation point and a question mark because magic represent mystery, excitement, joy, confusion, and wonder.

-And when I mean magic I don't means those of the destructive nature like those of anime and games. I also don't mean those of the magical and healing nature, like speaking to animals. This thread is all about Magic as in illusions, tricking and deceiving others to believe what may or not be there and mind tricks.(idiots,... lol... j/k ^_^)

-I'm no illusionist but of course I always wonder how it's done. People like David Copperfield, Pen and Teller, James Randi, Dorothy Dietrich, P. C. Sorcar, Houdini and Jean Eugène Robert-Houdin. Most of them started magic at a young age and when into their lime light often become of a scientific skepticism in nature and often goes to debunk predatory charlatans.

I'm putting the lengthy and more in depth info in this big spoiler. (seems people don't care for the info)

Spoiler:

First question: How can Criss Angel walk on walls?

Just post your videos or questions and we can try to explain it. (try to find some quality ones, we don't want to watch a blur)

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2007-03-31 at 06:24.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 11:42   Link #2
Azrael_Azure
Femme Fatale

Send a message via MSN to Azrael_Azure Send a message via Yahoo to Azrael_Azure Send a message via Skype™ to Azrael_Azure
Magic is more amazing when the person can't figure out, or has no knowledge of how the trick is performed.
It's surprising, and entertaining for the audience. But, like most adults know, there's no such thing as real magic, I guess it's ok to assume that some die-hard people will say that it exists until their death bed, but I think the majority know it's just for entertainment.

From personal experience, I was amazed by magic as a kid, but I always wanted to know how the trick was performed. I guess I just automatically believed that there was nothing truely magic behind it and it was just a series of actions leading to a final outcome. Maybe I just didn't know how to have fun. :P

Regarding Criss Angel, no one physically can walk on a wall constantly at a slow speed. I've seen street performers walk part way along a wall by running very fast and angeling their bodies so they can beat gravity temporarily.
If Criss is walking slowly etc (I've never seen him do it, just photos) then perhaps he is being held by a harness, or the camera has just been tilted to make it appear like he's walking that way up.
Otherwise I don't know. XD
Azrael_Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 16:35   Link #3
kayos
RETIRED

There are many unexplainable things in this world and yes I still believe real magic do exist...

Then again I also believe in aliens and angels and demons etc...
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 20:06   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Grow up Kayos!
We're all past that age, we're now at talking fishies dolphins. lol
@ Aoie-chan
I know this may be a stupid question, but what is this thread for? O.O
Looks like some sort of wiki page to me. -_^
Sorry I'm slow ^__^'
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as magic, I always think of it as nothing more then "smoke and mirrors".
Old 2007-03-30, 22:28   Link #5
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

I know it's more like copy and paste but I wanted to inform people of what magic is because I doubt we really know what the more in depth details about it.

It's meant to talk and describe our experiences with magic. Reveal or not what's behind it.

I could always put a spoiler on the main article and state my question at the end ^_^. Which I probably think would help for people too lazy to read through it all.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2007-03-30, 22:34   Link #6
darkjester
Desu Desu Desu!!!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to darkjester Send a message via MSN to darkjester Send a message via Yahoo to darkjester
u didn't list Chris Angel!!! least i don't think, your post was really LONG....

he's the illusionist of our time... i think he's pimp, and crazy!
Old 2007-03-31, 00:24   Link #7
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

darkjester - i'm sure I did. (I think ^_^) I plugged all the spoiler to save ya from reading too much.

Old 2007-03-31, 00:57   Link #8
darkjester
Desu Desu Desu!!!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to darkjester Send a message via MSN to darkjester Send a message via Yahoo to darkjester
oh snap.. guess u did, i was reading yo post and kinda half way through i gave up and just skimmed the rest... just now i did a ctrl+f of angel and u mentioned him several times torwards the end lol...

gg.. yea that dude is a trip... one of my favorite illusionist of this generation.. I LOVE his mind reading tricks.. truly unbelievable... and the walking through walls windows bit.. man... i would shat my pants if i saw that in real life... same with walking ON walls... lol... hehe

Here's to The Angel! Cheers mate!
Old 2007-03-31, 01:04   Link #9
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
There are many unexplainable things in this world and yes I still believe real magic do exist...
If it's unexplainable for now, why not try exploring some new, logic explanation for instance? Like how advances in science are made?

It's like, "we can't explain how the world came to be. Let there be a God, then!!".

:/

PS: Sorry for the offtopic.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 01:38   Link #10
kayos
RETIRED

Sometimes it's best for people to have something to believe in than to rely on the finding of science.

Yes it would be logical to have a scientific explanation for everything that occur but it would take the fun and suspense out of it... just like magic tricks.

Once you uncovered the trick behind the magic, it's not magic anymore.
Old 2007-03-31, 05:57   Link #11
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael_Azure View Post
Magic is more amazing when the person can't figure out, or has no knowledge of how the trick is performed.
It's surprising, and entertaining for the audience. But, like most adults know, there's no such thing as real magic, I guess it's ok to assume that some die-hard people will say that it exists until their death bed, but I think the majority know it's just for entertainment.
I guess the amazement will come from you knowing and showing others who don't know it. Support the magic arts and confuse them with tricks ^_^.

Well ya can have some fun now. I found some tricks about magic just for ya.

-Magic Disappearing Coin Trick (a version of it).

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/436137..._professional/

Spoiler:
How fun.

-Another Version of it, the magic disappearing coin trick.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/397325...et_coin_trick/

I still don't understand this one.
Spoiler:

-The Building walk one. Still amazes me.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/94201/wall_walker/

-It's the magic disappearing card this time. The movie explains it so really not much discussion can be made. Also my hand isn't as big as the person in the movie so it's harder for me. lol ^_^

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/319647...a_card_vanish/

-Tears and Repair

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/302507...pair_revealed/
PS: I guess this is how we will be explaining magic tricks now ^_^. Online Movies and discussion.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2007-03-31 at 06:51.
Old 2007-03-31, 10:26   Link #12
kayos
RETIRED

The two coins trick was good and yes all she did was toss the other coin into her other hand, but the card trick was horribly done, you could see the shadow of the card through the spaces of his fingers.

The paper trick wasn't all that great.

Oh and for Chris Angel walking on the walk, didn't you notice that he choose a specific area on the wall to actually start wall walking. My guess is he's wearing a magnetic suit with something installed in the wall (or have something on the other side) to pull the magnetic suit.
Old 2007-03-31, 11:41   Link #13
Azrael_Azure
Femme Fatale

Send a message via MSN to Azrael_Azure Send a message via Yahoo to Azrael_Azure Send a message via Skype™ to Azrael_Azure
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Oh and for Chris Angel walking on the walk, didn't you notice that he choose a specific area on the wall to actually start wall walking. My guess is he's wearing a magnetic suit with something installed in the wall (or have something on the other side) to pull the magnetic suit.

Or he just had some very see-through wire of some sort.... or invisble wings, those would be cool XD
Azrael_Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 16:26   Link #14
darkjester
Desu Desu Desu!!!
*Graphic Designer

did u all see the spoof video in the comments of the chris angel clip??? rofl...

people actually thought that was him, wow they really gotta be stupid...

n e ways, yea, angel is amazing, His tricks really are mind boggeling and hard to decipher....

but yea, it does look like something is holding him up.... i'm guessing wires as well....

eithe way, amazing as hell...
Old 2007-04-01, 05:28   Link #15
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

This is by far one of the greatest magic trick i've ever seen. Took me a bit to find it again. I still have no explanation for this.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/420127/beleive_it_or_not/

Old 2007-04-01, 09:34   Link #16
kayos
RETIRED

If you actually look at the original image of the panel, it's much bigger before it pans away and aim at him holding the remote. Then when it pans back it's much smaller. It's very obvious to see the different in details. The real computer is much more detailed than the panel.

The panel was much darker and didn't glare. Computer screen glare. I'm surprise you didn't notice since you're an artist as well. It's all about the details Aoie.

Notice also that when he removes the white lines there are black square things at the bottom of it. My guess it's used to hold up the white line to make a perception illusion by having it up at a angle.

I rate that magic trick horrible done and very noticeable.

Edit:

I watched it again just to see how bad it was and I notice another thing. After placing the panel down he took some steps to the right (our right, his left) and aimed the camera down at a different spot. So it was already in position, there was no switch it was already in a different spot, a couple of feet away from the panel. Notice the background change with the pillar in the second shot.

Last edited by kayos; 2007-04-01 at 09:46.
Old 2007-04-01, 19:03   Link #17
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

The walking walk trick is poorly done. Take a look at his posture. If you placed that same posture on a level ground, there's no way anyone can stand upright where his center of gravity is off by almost 2 feet from center.

Like those spy movies where the movie star walks up/down the wall, that guy has a harness around his waist with a cable attachment putting stress at his waist.
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 20:02   Link #18
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
WOW! Creadores de asombro (Translation: Amusement/Surprise Creators) are a company here in Argentina dedicated exclusively to the performance of illusionism and magic tricks. They also performed magic tricks to strangers in the subway, filmed them and broadcasted them as part of a promotional campaign. There are several videos (a total of 13, I think). Here I'll put some YouTube links to them, as well as providing a rough translation to the dialog. They are very short videos, often lasting no more than a minute.

Spoiler for Pole:

This one is easier to spot out, but I liked it anyways:

Pass

There are many other videos in YouTube. If you want a translation of a specific one, ask me and I'll gladly do it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 21:01   Link #19
kayos
RETIRED

Here's another obvious magic but it took some skills and it's very entertaining.

gramps magic
Old 2007-04-02, 05:54   Link #20
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Can someone explain this act?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/385694/invisible_water/
I probably can
Spoiler:

-This I cannot even fathom possible.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/418199...iefcase_magic/

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2007-04-02 at 06:08.