AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2007-03-31, 12:58   Link #1
Kaiser Ninja
Toudou Gakuen Student

Send a message via AIM to Kaiser Ninja Send a message via MSN to Kaiser Ninja
3D Modelling?

Anyone knows whats the best software to use to 3D Modelling and whats the easiest software to use and to understand for this? Also I wanted to ask you all if using this softwares.. can you make a normal drawing into a 3D model?

Sorry if its stupid to ask these kind of questions, I really dont know anything about this but I'd like to learn. So if anyone could help me with this, I'd appreciate it tons!

Thanks in advance!
Kaiser Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 21:37   Link #2
Khengi

The best, to me, is lightwave 9, but you probably aren' into $900, eh?

Blender is great, and has a great community ready to help all the time at http://blenderartist.org, and you can find the Blender download at http://blender.org

You can import a picture you drew into the modeller and model on top of that and when you look at it, it's in 3D of what you drew.

Blender isn't easy though, I won't fool you. But I've seen Advent Children graphics at Blenderartist.org made in blender.
Khengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 00:01   Link #3
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

If one wanted to answer on the question, one can't help but be truely subjective. Its impossible to give objective answers in regards of usability.

I for example use 3D Studio Max. Since I am a student I can use it at the university (Maya too, but Maya I don't like very much). Once you learned on a specific type of 3D modelling software you will hardly change, since every decent 3D modelling software comes with lots of functionality and stuff you need to try out (in order to get things done). So it is basically a very hard learning curve for such apps (I use Max for years now, yet haven't mastered it in this time).

3D applications won't automatically make a 3D modell from a 2D sketch/painting/picture. Thats basically up to you. Usually it is helpful to have a side-view, a top-view and a front-view picture of the thing you want to model.
(you can google for tutorials that make a use of front, top, side views)

One warning though, if you plan to model anime characters (not game characters with manga-ish look). I mean characters straight from an anime... you will have a very hard time. Such characters are inconsistend in every imaginable way (means proportions and stuff are changing when the viewing perspective is changing - sometimes the character is differently drawn just to make them look cuter in certain clothes... e.g. a longer skirt would makes the arms and legs thinner, while with a very short skirt, they are drawn thicker. Absolutely ridiculous in this sense are breast sizes).
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 04:15   Link #4
Kaiser Ninja
Toudou Gakuen Student

Send a message via AIM to Kaiser Ninja Send a message via MSN to Kaiser Ninja
I see. Thanks for the tips to both of you! I have a question. I downloaded blender3d and tried to open a drawing there but it wont let me cause it says my drawings are not a blender 3D file. My drawings are JPEG oe BMP probably.. so how do i open em? do i have to conver them to blender 3D file somehow O.o??
Kaiser Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 11:21   Link #5
Khengi

No, first, open up a file, and then set a background as the picture...

I can't remember off hand, but go to blenderartist.org and ask them how to open up a picture for modelling reference.

There's also a guide on wikibooks that taught me, Noob to Pro will teach you blender better than anything on this God given planet.
Old 2007-04-02, 13:49   Link #6
HunterRequiem
Resident cynic

Send a message via AIM to HunterRequiem
Yes. With blender, you open blender, then go click on the tab in one of the menus that says "background." Then, you specify the image you want to use, and turn on the background with the button. Sadly, modeling anything biological is incredibly difficult, take it from me ><. Mechanical things are a bit easier. I'd sugest a process where you establish the silhouettes from the top and side of the object, then assemble it submarine style down the length of the object.
HunterRequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 18:10   Link #7
Khengi

A simple way to make perfectly biological and structured humans is to download the free Makehuman (which is an affiliate of Blender), choose the way you want your human to look, export it as an .obj, and in blender, import a wavefront .obj (it being your makehuman .obj)

Then you can play with it from there in Blender, doing vertix and playing with teh realistic lips, eyes, teeth and tongue.
Old 2012-01-22, 19:58   Link #8
AnimeFan188

According to:

http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/d...o-4?item=12194

DAZ Studio 4.0 is going for free until 6-30-2012.

Is this software any good? I've never heard of it before.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 20:11   Link #9
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Personally, I prefer Maya. Piece of advice though, make sure you learn how to model traditionally on programs like Max and Maya before using what I call "shortcut" programs (i.e. mudbox, ZBrush) It'll give you a better understanding of Modelling in 3D.
Old 2012-01-22, 22:15   Link #10
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Ninja View Post
Anyone knows whats the best software to use to 3D Modelling and whats the easiest software to use and to understand for this? Also I wanted to ask you all if using this softwares.. can you make a normal drawing into a 3D model?

Sorry if its stupid to ask these kind of questions, I really dont know anything about this but I'd like to learn. So if anyone could help me with this, I'd appreciate it tons!

Thanks in advance!
IMO, Zbrush is the best software for 3D character modeling, 3DS Max for object modeling. You can try Maya, Blender too.
Old 2012-01-24, 11:54   Link #11
apparitionyouko

i started out with blender, but after i got a hang of it i thought it was a little limited or harder to do things i wanted to do, so i switched to cinema 4D. That's what i've always used, and i've also found most tutorials for 3D use C4D. They're really all the same once u learn how to use them