AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Old 2007-04-08, 01:36   Link #261
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
B-rank magicians can rupture entire dimensions if they want... if that's not heavy collateral damage, then I don't know what is.
I know we've seen Lost Logia that can rupture dimensions, but that statement is somewhat of a stretch, given that we've never even seen anything lower than AAA rank taken seriously before.

On Perspective: "Depending on who you talk to, twintails are either ponytails multiplied by two, or divided by two.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 01:39   Link #262
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
From what reference is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
I know we've seen Lost Logia that can rupture dimensions, but that statement is somewhat of a stretch, given that we've never even seen anything lower than AAA rank taken seriously before.
Fate and Nanoha were B-rank during season 1, right? Wasn't it their fight that was causing the dimension to collapse and forced Chrono to interfere?
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 01:41   Link #263
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Fate and Nanoha were B-rank during season 1, right? Wasn't it their fight that was causing the dimension to collapse and forced Chrono to interfere?
They were already referenced as AAA class mages during the first season.

On Perspective: "Depending on who you talk to, twintails are either ponytails multiplied by two, or divided by two.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 01:46   Link #264
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
They were ranked AAA at that time. Amy stated it in Ep08 of the first season. Timing is 14:22 onwards.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-08, 01:47   Link #265
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
They were already referenced as AAA class mages during the first season.
Being capable of flight combat alone pretty much tags A on a person's mage rank.

And if we want to be technical, the raw released magical power (( which was what caused the dimensional thing, IIRC )) of both Fate and Nanoha were both above Chrono then, who was AAA+.

So, it's like AAA+, maybe even bordering S- x 2.

And I believe there's a clear distinction between magical damage and physical damage in Nanoha-verse.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 04:48   Link #266
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Being capable of flight combat alone pretty much tags A on a person's mage rank.

And if we want to be technical, the raw released magical power (( which was what caused the dimensional thing, IIRC )) of both Fate and Nanoha were both above Chrono then, who was AAA+.

So, it's like AAA+, maybe even bordering S- x 2.
Power levels yes. But there's a difference between raw power and how well that can be applied to the situation. As Chrono has shown Fate very clearly in the comics. The ranking exams we've seen so far test applied skills, not raw power.

For the higher rankings, I wonder if there are even exams, or what. They're probably optional at least. I suspect Hayate has been pushing to advance her ranking (both as a mage and within the organisation) as fast as possible, while I doubt Nanoha is interested in such things, and probably mostly gets field promotions. Probably why she has her "ace of aces" tag.
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 05:57   Link #267
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
Power levels yes. But there's a difference between raw power and how well that can be applied to the situation. As Chrono has shown Fate very clearly in the comics. The ranking exams we've seen so far test applied skills, not raw power.
Either I'm missing something or you seem to be misunderstanding something. I wasn't refering to overall capabilities and experience reflected by the mage ranks, which is not DBZ's OVER 9000!!!, but rather the release of the raw power of Fate and Nanoha that caused the dimensional effects in season 1. Because our previous discussions was on the potential collateral damage by mages, which even by Arc-En-Ciel's standard, isn't strong enough to wipe out an entire large city by arguments of physical damage. And the arguments of magical damage was on Nanoha and Fate doing the things that caused TSAB to notice in Season 1. If we assume that Fate or Nanoha maximum's power is the minimum least to cause dimensional time-space damage, that means no matter how much skilled Chrono is over both of them, he can't do the same since it's stated even though he's above Fate and Nanoha, his raw power is weaker. Not that it mattered in a fight, but the release of power strong enough to cause dimensional damage and the show of capabilities in combat is 2 different matter, which was what I was refering to instead. I know that the mage rankings don't purely reflect power levels.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-04-08, 06:15   Link #268
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

well a new episode this week
i wonder if they will introduce Carol and Elio in this weeks episode...hhmmm
and forgive me for being kinda slow
but i didn't know that Nanoha and Fate both named their teams...
lets see
Nanoha's team name is "team stars" and Fate's team name is "team lightning"
and i also noticed that Teana and Subaru are both wearing barrier jackets similar to Nanoha's (in terms of color of stripes on jacket) and same goes for Fate's team.....but i think since Subaru admires Nanoha alot she has the jacket that closely resembles Nanoha's jacket!
i wonder if Yuuno and Chrono will also make an appearance in this weeks episode too
and also including Lindy of course
hahahaha

and judging from episode one, Subaru's version of Divine Buster seems to be a mid range attack...seeing as how the beam went through the building but ending short....unless she still is mastering on how to improve the attack...she could rival Nanoha in the end...heh

and oh yea and can't forget about the Valkia knights
maybe they'll also appear in this weeks episode??hhmmm

Last edited by Ultima_Rasengan05; 2007-04-08 at 06:17. Reason: Valkia knights....
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 06:40   Link #269
Woden

I don't think we'll see a lot of Chrono until the second half of the series. As for Yuuno... probably whenever they need to get information on some obscure Lost Logia.
Woden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 06:53   Link #270
Chaos2Frozen
Put it in the Database

@kari-no-sugata
I was under the impression that the mage rank was a combination of both raw power and skill, seeing as how (in the 1st season) Amy could roughly estimate their ranks base on their magical potential...

@Nightengale
I thought the dimensional disturbance was mostly caused by the Jewel Seed that they 'crash' into?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woden View Post
I don't think we'll see a lot of Chrono until the second half of the series. As for Yuuno... probably whenever they need to get information on some obscure Lost Logia.
Agreed (with you). My guess is that this first half would be used to develop the 4 rookies using that unknown girl from the OP ... And varies minor side characters as well.
Old 2007-04-08, 06:58   Link #271
Aaron008R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woden View Post
I agree. But there is always the possibility of cameo appearances for the both of them, a commanding officer issuing orders shot from Chrono or a 'N&Y Matchmaking' episode for Yuuno.

I'm crossing my fingers that a set-them-up episode gets included.
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 07:07   Link #272
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
@Nightengale
I thought the dimensional disturbance was mostly caused by the Jewel Seed that they 'crash' into?

Agreed (with you). My guess is that this first half would be used to develop the 4 rookies using that unknown girl from the OP ... And varies minor side characters as well.
Meh, I'm too old to remember details. Regardless, that does nothing but support the "they are not strong enough to cause collateral damage on a planetary scale" argument contrary to popular belief. I mean, Arc at best can probably liquify 1/3rd of New York City.

Here's to hoping TSAB gets wiped out by episode 16. With some internal betrayal. (( Not Acous plz...maybe Carim instead. )) Not only does it adds "epic" and "drama" and "AthrunKira" into the brew, hen that happens, you know they need all the help they can get, and Yuuno's not some lousy D-rank mage either. Nor is Arf...

Old 2007-04-08, 07:22   Link #273
Aaron008R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Here's to hoping TSAB gets wiped out by episode 16. With some internal betrayal. (( Not Acous plz...maybe Carim instead. )) Not only does it adds "epic" and "drama" and "AthrunKira" into the brew, hen that happens, you know they need all the help they can get, and Yuuno's not some lousy D-rank mage either. Nor is Arf...
That would be interesting. But I'm not too sure if that kind of dark progression of events where everything falls apart would suit the Nanoha series too well. If that does happen, here's to hoping that Graham-jiisan would pull off something amazing. That old guy used to be a very powerful admiral who has two familiars who should be about AAA+ to S rank. Settling down without showing his stuff to the youngsters is a bit disappointing. That is, if his still alive. But I'm pretty sure he's still up and about.
Old 2007-04-08, 07:27   Link #274
Eclipze

Hmm, regarding the damage part...
Spoiler:

And yes, I jumped onto the Nanoha bandwagon.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 07:33   Link #275
Chaos2Frozen
Put it in the Database

Well, to cause that big of a destruction, you're going to need someone with reasonable authority and military strength.

My money's still on old man Genya. Despite being outranked by a 19 years old girl (Hehe, I'll never let that go...!), the rank Major is still impressive (I guess), AND he has a whole Battalion at his command to stage a coup.

AND since his wife is dead (For whatever reason...), that's more than enough emo reasons to go nuts...

EDIT:
@Eclipze
Apparently, 'magic' damage and 'physical' damage are two different things ! Magic affects magic, physical affects physical... Of course, some spells are a mix of both magic and physical damage.... Just not Starlight Breaker

Also, Arc-en-ciel Vaporizes everything in the area... So yeah, it's more of a spell/effect...

P.S - Oh yeah, welcome to the fold.
Old 2007-04-08, 07:40   Link #276
Aaron008R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
Hmm, regarding the damage part...
Spoiler:

And yes, I jumped onto the Nanoha bandwagon.
Starlight Breaker does magical damage which only damages those with magical properties, I think it does damage to a person's linker core if hit. Remember Fate and Nanoha's final clash? Fate was still reasonably whole after being bombarded with Starlight Breaker. Still, that doesn't make Starlight Breaker non-lethal. Arc-en-Ciel should be able to do physical damage as well. (It DID vaporize the ship of Chrono's father.) AND, welcome to the club!

[ADD] Ugh, beaten to the punch. Guess I'm too slow in typing. Well, that's my take anyway.
Old 2007-04-08, 19:41   Link #277
BatAttack
Gaou!!

Quote:
B-rank magicians can rupture entire dimensions if they want...
LOL, Bloodseeker has been getting drunk and posting of forums.

Regarding collateral damage:

EVEN IF Starlight Breaker was capable of physical damage, from the size of the blast when Nanoha uses it, it looks like it could destroy a large cluster of buildings.. perhaps a city block.

When YnS uses Starlight Breaker, the blast is much bigger, and would be able to destroy a great many city blocks. Still well short of an entire city.

Divine Buster is certainly capable of physical damage.. with a sustained beam, Nanoha could cut down a large sky-scraper..
Destroying an entire city by cutting down its buildings one by one would be a lot of hard work.
*phew* I'm tired from just thinking about it...

- Novarossi
BatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 20:13   Link #278
Chaos2Frozen
Put it in the Database

Perhaps thats why the 'Starlight Breaker(s)' could have that large of a blast radius.

Assuming that all offensive spells are a mix of Magic and Physical damage only:

Starlight Breaker
Magic: 100%
Physical: 0%

With that, Nanoha could just focus on making it look intimidating , in a sense it's all just 'hot air' and nothing really solid.

Her other spells perhaps have more variety in their 'mixture'.
Old 2007-04-08, 20:31   Link #279
Aaron008R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Starlight Breaker
Magic: 100%
Physical: 0%

With that, Nanoha could just focus on making it look intimidating , in a sense it's all just 'hot air' and nothing really solid.

Her other spells perhaps have more variety in their 'mixture'.
Which makes Starlight Breaker an optimal offensive move against enemy mages and extremely powerful magic barriers. Being able to subdue a very powerful enemy without external injury (ie. Fate 10 years ago) suits Nanoha's style well, ne? Or does it?
Old 2007-04-08, 22:22   Link #280
Zehros
Imber Kidou!

Acording to the anime the Arc-en-ciel does not destroy, rather it consumes everything in its radius. Quoting Yuuno from Episode 12.

"Taking its initial firing point as the center its a magical canon that distorts the space surrounding it and consumes everything up to hundreds of kilometers away"-acording to the subbed epidode 12

That's why they didn't want it to be fired at the earth.

On a side note: Hello!! I'm new here though I've been lurking for a while. I finally decided to post something. Hope we get along great.
Zehros is offline   Reply With Quote