AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-04-04, 18:39   Link #1
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Undoing damage caused by Core Media Player

Having read over a poll thread on player preferences, I figured I'd try to switch off of BSPlayer and try The Core Media Player. Unfortunately, it didn't play nice on my system; in particular, it'd completely act up whenever Winamp was open alongside it. For example, I'd have to close Winamp to pull TCMP out of the taskbar; otherwise it'd keep auto-minimizing. Strange behavior like that.

Anyway, after installing it, I began to get strange messages about how bass.dll could not be found, and how reinstalling the application might fix it (occurred when trying to play AirRade (a game) and when watching movies through BSPlayer). It was enough to shut AirRade down, but BSPlayer would play the movie once the dialogue had been cleared. Googled for the issue, downloaded (but never installed) the bass.dll file, and finally linked it to TCMP. I uninstalled TCMP, and checked off all options for what could be removed when I did.

Now, I get a message that vorbis.dll cannot be found, and reinstalling the application might fix it. The behavior is the same as before (BSPlayer will play after the dialogue is cleared), and like before, I have no idea what application it's referring to. I reinstalled Winamp to see if maybe the .dll was included in Winamp's install routine, but it doesn't seem to be. Note that before all of this, as far as media programs go I'd only installed Winamp, BSPlayer, and FFDShow. I'd used a similar configuration for years and never saw messages like what I'm seeing now.

I figure the best fix is to reinstall TCMP and then, when uninstalling, just have it uninstall its core program, and not everything else. I just wanted to run this through here, seeing as how there are people with more TCMP experience than I have. I'd prefer to avoid installing other software to fix this issue, thereby introducing bloat onto my system, if possible. Thanks for reading!
Old 2007-04-04, 20:06   Link #2
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Did you install the extra codec pack alongside TCMP? If you did, that's probably the source of the issue (though it's a strange issue...).

But anyhow, I've been using TCMP for ages for every type of media in my comp and there's been no problem with it. Unless, of course, when dealing with its built-in codecs, which can be removed at the installation process. I've even run Winamp a couple of times after having TCMP installed (though I loathe that program) and there have been no problems at all. It really makes me wonder what the issue is, I really can't understand it if it has nothing to do with its built-in codec pack.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 23:57   Link #3
Nicholi
King of Hosers

The Winamp issue I recall from years ago when I tried it out. I guess they never solved it. The rest is likely because you installed the external filters with it, don't. You just need a player, not more codecs.

I'm not sure what thread you were referring to, but the one I've seen showed MPC and ZP with the largest number of votes :P. Perhaps you should try those out instead.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 19:32   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

This isn't a Winamp issue, please re-read my long-winded post. The problem is with a separate video-player and a stand-alone application. Winamp is unaffected.
Old 2007-04-05, 21:01   Link #5
Nicholi
King of Hosers

I didn't say it was a Winamp issue. I'm well aware that when you have both Winamp and TCMP open weird things will happen. Like one (or both) of them not properly un-minimizing. As I said, I noticed the same issue you described years ago. I actually thought it was finally fixed but I guess not. Just mentioning that it has in fact been a long standing problem.

Installing TCMP by itself (without the extra filters that come in the package) should not affect anything else, aside from the weird Winamp open at the same time thing. If you installed TCMP with the extra filters, they may cause issues as they could have taken over whatever you were using before. TCMP by itself is just a player. It is like imagining that extracting MPC from a zip file would suddenly cause another application to stop working. It doesn't have any way to interact with other applications and doesn't install any DirectShow filters (the only thing to affect playback in other applications). TCMP's installer does come with some other filters though, there is an option to not install them but perhaps you didn't see it. If I remember correctly it is specifically Gabest's MKV and OGM splitters (or maybe it was OggDS itself). Obviously if you install these they will overtake whatever you were using previously. You seem to mention a problem with the application suddenly unable to find vorbis.dll, sounds related to OggDS issues to me. Make sure you unregister the filters installed with TCMP and re-register whatever you were previously using.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 02:05   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were referring to the TCMP and Winamp being open at the same time issue.

How do I go about re-registering filters? A reinstall of FFDShow wouldn't do it, since something must have been used before FFDShow was installed, too...
Old 2007-04-06, 10:11   Link #7
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
How do I go about re-registering filters? A reinstall of FFDShow wouldn't do it, since something must have been used before FFDShow was installed, too...
Uninstall TCMP and it'll take its filters with it. Then reinstall it while not selecting the filters and voila.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 13:57   Link #8
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
How do I go about re-registering filters?
Code:
regsvr32 "X:/path/to/filter.dll"
Standard commandline rules apply, path may be omitted if the filter to be registered is in a folder in your $PATH (%WINDIR%system32 or the current directory, for example), quotes may be omitted if path contains no spaces.
Run regsvr32 /u filter.dll to unregister first if needed.

To find out the name of the .dll or .ax in question, use GraphEdit or the CCCP Insurgent.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 20:00   Link #9
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Insurgent is a neat program, but I'm not sure how to use it to solve my problem. Here's a screenshot, if it helps any:

I'd also note that when I go and download bass.dll from a website and put it into my windows/system folder, I get a new error telling me that bass-wma.dll (or something of that sort) can't be found. If I have BSPlayer render the sound on its own, the errors do not appear; it only happens when FFDShow's audio decoder loads. I did try to reinstall FFDShow, but it didn't fix anything. Any suggestions? Perhaps a full uninstall+wipe and reinstall of FFDShow? Or is the problem possibly linked to something greater?