AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-04-08, 20:49   Link #1
agkoichi

Send a message via AIM to agkoichi
Talking Ode to the Anime Community

I’ve been in the anime community for a long time now, which I’m sure many of you have been as well. I can remember a time, which really wasn’t that long ago, when fan subbed anime was something you bought on VHS tape and wasn’t always the best quality. Also there weren’t many anime sites out there to offer you information on them either. All you could really find were a bunch of crudely made Dragonball Z websites, and yes I had one of them. Now things are different and the anime community has taken off with a boom. There is manga in bookstores, anime on TV, and loads of websites for your every anime need. The quality of the fan sub industry has gotten a lot better as well and we no longer need to shell out money for those old vhs tapes, which we would wear out with too much play.

I’m sure you are asking yourself why is this person saying all this, and who the hell is he? Well basically I was surfing the web and looking at a bunch of anime websites, and noticed how much they’ve changed. However, a lot of them just rehash the same stuff over and over again. I figured I’d come to the people who built the anime community up and ask you what you think is the problem with anime sites these days.

To me many of these anime websites all look the same. Many are cluttered with too much junk like ads and excusive amount of links. So what about you guys? What would you like to see these anime sites do?
agkoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 20:57   Link #2
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Hmm... nothing, really, even if I think about it. Most of times public reaction to stuff I like affects me so little that I don't really spend very much time outside my usual forums (AS being my main one). I mostly check out official sites or stuff like that to get info about newly released series, or if the information is old enough I confine myself to ANN and AniDB, both of which are nicely-run database sites. As to fansites and stuff, I don't even want to check them out even for series I love, since I get sick very rapidly of over-idolization of series. Call me egocentric, but that's how I see it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 21:25   Link #3
Shay
Monarch Programmer

I'm waiting for the lovey-duvey, cutsey-wutsey craze to phase out. And the long over-due, hardcore, badass BERSERK-type anime I grew up with to come back!

Lolz, I kid. I enjoy some of the light hearted stuff. Actually I adore things like Chobits, Scrumble, etc.... However, It seems every site I click on these days has some cute loli, or some ridiculously good looking nice guy and his harem taking centre stage. Which is cool I guess, but my true love is brutality anime at its best. That genre seems to have lost its way along the years. But I'm sure it will return, one day...
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 22:54   Link #4
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
I'm waiting for the lovey-duvey, cutsey-wutsey craze to phase out. And the long over-due, hardcore, badass BERSERK-type anime I grew up with to come back!

Lolz, I kid. I enjoy some of the light hearted stuff. Actually I adore things like Chobits, Scrumble, etc.... However, It seems every site I click on these days has some cute loli, or some ridiculously good looking nice guy and his harem taking centre stage. Which is cool I guess, but my true love is brutality anime at its best. That genre seems to have lost its way along the years. But I'm sure it will return, one day...
I agree to 75%. Its not mainly about brutality itself, but realism in violence. The worst counter example is the A-Team (lots of shootings... but the usual consequences, ugly shot wounds, people screaming in pain, dead people and so on... never shown. Thus such a sort of series truely glorifies violence. Not by showing the violence, its rather the opposit, by not showing it when guns are used. That makes shooting guns at people appear to be a harmless thing. When I think of all the children that must have seen this series... and who may have the subconscious impression weapons are rather a toy, than very effective/cruel tools to force death on somebody). Now I don't want to imply that e.g. M.D. Geist is good for children. Actually I think neither A-Team nor M.D. Geist is.
But for a grown up person, that served in the military, most of the shootings and acts of violence shown in movies, are overglorified or plain trivialised. War is cruel not epic. And that is the image I want to see transported in a movie.
Reading the "Some thoughts on the Capture of the British Marine/Sailors by Iran." thread, makes me feel really irritated about some people's view on war (or conflict zone situations). I wonder if this can be blamed on the war=epic image, which movies often provide.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 01:57   Link #5
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
Oh once again the golden age of violence has dawned upon us . Bersek left a void which no anime in genral could fulfill till Claymore came along . Here Gatzu has been replaced by a half elf /half yoma and human woman . Do check it out it will be worth your time : D

Torrent
Old 2007-04-09, 03:13   Link #6
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
agkoichi - well, agkoichi, they're not original. If you think about it, no one will come to your site/blog if they're not interested in it. If you use the theme of DBZ which for some reason people (meaning mostly kids) still adore them. At least you'll get some visitors for the reason of DBZ alone. Some genres of anime just aren't as interesting to the mainstream community as others. Those Progressive/New Age animes are one of the few that often takes more time to even become aware of. It's like business, even though you love selling old relics, most likely you won't making enough to meets end meet for the electric and rent bill for you small business, but if you were retail and sold common day items like utensil, clothings and food products, you'll at least have a larger field of items for you customers to choose upon.

They could also be lazy ^_^.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 08:53   Link #7
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Oh once again the golden age of violence has dawned upon us . Bersek left a void which no anime in genral could fulfill till Claymore came along . Here Gatzu has been replaced by a half elf /half yoma and human woman . Do check it out it will be worth your time : D

Torrent
Ahh, that was refreshing, thanks.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 10:48   Link #8
jianfish
Looking for something

Harem is taking over the world. Love Hina was good enough and Ichigo 100% was just about enough. Now even a gore-fest show like Elfen-Lied has a mini-harem inside as well. Why is everyone getting the Harem except for me.

For me, I feel it is the lack of really classic shows. Slam Dunk was classic, Evangelion was classic, DBZ too. Perhaps they have run out of ideas or really refreshing ones are real hard to come by. How many anime nowadays can fall into the "classic" realm? Not too many that I need my toes to count.
jianfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 12:15   Link #9
solomon

classic is a term reserved for something that is the highest of achievements

aside from that, you seem to be into "general" shows, as opposed to moe/harem stuff, that's ok, they still exist. You just gotta look for em.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 12:33   Link #10
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

I hope that more anime along the lines of Bartender come out. It's the single most innovative anime I've seen yet.

Episode 2 of Claymore shows that this is going to be a seriously good "dark" anime.
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 04:38   Link #11
blueorange

@OP

I, too, am suprised by the crappyness of most anime websites. Given that this is such a visual thing, you would think someone would conjour up a nicely themed anime website. I think a lot of it is to do with people thinking that fan art makes for good header/banners... No, it doesn't.

To address some other points, which slightly veer to some of the discussion in the Old vs New Anime Thread.

For likeminded people to myself, i.e. you are have good taste, intelligent, witty, not a pedophile, and modest. I believe we are experiencing an anime renaissance. In the last few seasons there have been many very good grown-up, progressive series, with top-notch artwork and strong storylines.

I won't deny that there were good series through the Dark Ages of Moe. Yet, as OP has observed, if you were pressed to define what anime is in the last few years, based on series, avatars/sigs, websites, merchandise. You would have to say that it was moe. Brain-dead, banal, cuteness.

My big fear was that as the anime fan base grew tenfold in these recent years thanks to the internet. That people would come to expect that this was anime's true nature... a, rather boring, pedophile's fantasy. Through sheer numbers they would make it so.

Well, seems I underestimated the studios, and the creativity of the artists. Things are back on track. There is currently a nice distribution of genres. Truly a time when we can all be happy.
blueorange is offline   Reply With Quote