AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-03-26, 09:01   Link #21
Nayuta
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Another Idol fan here.

I started with Season 5, loved both Taylor Hicks and Jordin Sparks, but for me personally Season 7 takes the cake. There's a lot of good singers in the competition this year, I have at least 3 favorite vocalists that I'm not willing to let go. Indeed, the guys kick ass this time around - David Cook, Michael Johns, and David Archuleta are my favorites, Brooke White is one girl I fairly enjoy.

I judge the lot by their vocal capabilities and performances, I ignore all the drama behind the scenes; some fans dig that, I don't. For me, this is still a singing competition and nothing else.
Nayuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 10:53   Link #22
mcruz1014
Eye Have You
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayuta View Post
I judge the lot by their vocal capabilities and performances, I ignore all the drama behind the scenes; some fans dig that, I don't. For me, this is still a singing competition and nothing else.
Me too. For example, I was blown away by David A's rendition of "Imagine" a few weeks ago, but his last two performances have been very lackluster. On the other hand, David Cook has been consistently fantastic (even last week's performance, which Simon didn't like), and might have propelled himself to frontrunner status after his cover of Chris Cornell's version of "Billie Jean" (yes, I realize it wasn't really an original arrangement, but he still sang it extremely well, probably better than Chris Cornell himself).

Carly Smithson has also been very good, though I think that she was reaching past her range when she tried to take on "Total Eclipse of the Heart" this week.
__________________

Currently Watching: Da Capo II Second Season, Kure-nai, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Nijuuu Mensou no Musume
mcruz1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 19:27   Link #23
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
Now that I finished it, (40 mins. before results time lol) I gotta say, I'm impressed by the rockers this time around. Micheal Johns and David Cook certainly took the best 2 spots, IMO.

On the other end of the spectrum, I certainly didn't like Ramiele's (even though I am a big fan of her ever since hollywood) and Chikezie. Which is sad, since I really do think Kristi lucked out this time around, as IMO she's the worst singer of the bunch.

And there were people who likes the drama? I personally don't, nor do I think it should affect's ones votes. But hey, I can't vote in the first place, so who am I to stop them? And if there's one thing I hate about AI, it would be the drama between the judges and the host. Especially when compared to say, Dance with the Stars, they really look childish and immature at times because of said 'drama.'
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 20:17   Link #24
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'm kinda disappointed with this season, not because of the singers, but because Beatles Week(s) were ruined. Syesha didn't do a good job singing Yesterday, and WTF was Brooke doing with Here Comes the Sun? Her performance of Let It Be was extremely good though. David A.'s We Can Work It Out left me crying (not happy tears) but he redeemed himself with The Long and Winding Road. Kristy's butchered Eight Days a Week maybe even more than David A. butchering his first Beatles song, and overall, I just wasn't impressed with those two weeks. Many Beatles songs were butchered badly. (Sorry, Beatles fan)

I personally loved Carly's performance of Total Eclipse of the Heart. It wasn't perfect, but it was one of the best of the night. Michael is good, but if he is only good at doing Queen songs, then that's going to be a problem and he will suffer Amanda's fate. Of course, David C.'s performance was good, and what the hell kind of song did David A. sing? Oh, and smart choice from Kristy. It was seriously good. Isn't it weird how Simon was praising the song?
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 20:55   Link #25
Zaku Hyuga
Domo Ori Gato Mr. Roboto
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Village Hidden in the Leaves
Age: 21
^yes it was weird Simon was praising it, but Simon's psyco so what can you say?^
Otherwise I'd have to say either David Cook and Carly Smithson(sp?) are going to be the winner. Carly is consistently good and David has improved extremly well as of late. I think it really wasn't that they butchered the Beatles songs, but the Beatles songs butchered them. I don't think it's fair to thrust a person who sings a specific genre into a genre they don't sing, and that messed a lot of them up. Also I'm not to pleased that David Archuleta is sliding along on the teen fan-girl train and is doing awful lately but never gets put in the bottom three. His last three weeks have been crap compared to the othe performances, especially when he messed up his first beatles song, the biggest screw-up I've seen in the top 20's since I started watching back in season 5.
Zaku Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 21:06   Link #26
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
Chikezie got cut, and for good reason IMO. His performance was sleep-induciZZZZZZZZZZZ

America got it right, but Syesha? I dunno why she's in the bottom 3, as IMO she's the best of the girl's performance on the technical level, despite me HATING the choice. She certainly outsang Carly and Ramiele IMO, and I was very surprised she got bottomed. That said, what's-his-face on the bottom 3 was also pretty much forgettable, so no surprise there.

And really though, David A is in this contest for the same reason as much as Kristi is; they're popularity through their cuteness/prettiness is the edge they need to survive otherwise poor performances IMO.

As for who I think who can win, so far only David Cook is in my radar; the others haven't stepped up to the plate consistently enough for me to make an accurate measure.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 23:13   Link #27
mcruz1014
Eye Have You
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I'm kinda disappointed with this season, not because of the singers, but because Beatles Week(s) were ruined.
I agree with you on that count. However, I do think that this was mostly the producers' fault for having both Beatles' Week and "The Lennon/McCartney Songbook" Week in the same season, nevermind on consecutive weeks. Its pretty obvious that anytime someone picks a song written by the aforementioned artists, it will most likely be a Beatles song. I do think that most of the good AI-appropriate songs (meaning the kind of songs that can be sung on a singing competition like Idol) had been used up already by the time Beatles' Week rolled around, forcing the contestants to sing stuff like "Blackbird" (my least favorite Carly performance, even though shes still awesome). Hell, David A sang "Imagine" in the top 24.

I'm kinda sad to see Chikezie go. I'll definitely miss his...
nah nevermind.

BTW, I didn't really like Kristy Lee Cook's performance at all. Not meaning to sound unpatriotic or anything, but I hated that song to begin with.
*flame shield*

But any thoughts on who's going next week? I definitely think that Jason Castro and Brooke will be in the bottom 3, as they doesn't really have a lot of outward appeal or singing talent to keep going. Kristy is easily the worst singer, but will probably stay in because of her large country fanbase and this newfound momentum. I also think that Ramiele's decline will turn a lot of voters against her if she doesn't step it up next week. Ramiele is my second favorite (behind David Cook), because I'm a fellow Filipino and she's just so gosh-darned cute, so you know it's been bad if I'm saying that she's been suxing it up.
__________________

Currently Watching: Da Capo II Second Season, Kure-nai, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Nijuuu Mensou no Musume

Last edited by mcruz1014; 2008-03-26 at 23:31.
mcruz1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 01:07   Link #28
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Are you crazy? I think Brooke is brilliant. Jason's only winning because American Idol is more of a popularity contest than a talent contest. David A. needs to pull off an amazing performance next week. Why? Because I know he's not getting voted off because this is a popularity contest, and since he's there, he might as well pick the right song for once.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 07:04   Link #29
mcruz1014
Eye Have You
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Are you crazy? I think Brooke is brilliant.
"Just an opinion.."

Haha. But yeah, Jason suX. He definitely should've been eliminated a long, long time ago. I can't see anything good that he's contributed over the last few weeks, and it irks me that someone like Danny Noriega was voted off because of his "image issues" when he is actually a stronger singer than some guys who made it further than him, save both Davids and Michael Johns.
__________________

Currently Watching: Da Capo II Second Season, Kure-nai, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Nijuuu Mensou no Musume
mcruz1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 09:27   Link #30
Junpaku
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Hi, guys.

My take on this week: Simon Cowell said to Kristy that she picked her song cleverly. I give her that; it's a safe song; but the way he placed his praise sounded like he was mocking her. I think she can sing, just not as good as the front-runners. To me, she came across as a generic country girl performer #676544654 that's wrapped herself in the American flag. Very exploitive.

David Archuleta is one of the top five vocalists in this competition. I like his song choices, but judges know he's getting a free ride because of his looks, his youth. Last season, Sanjaya Malakar fit the image of an attractive young man, obviously popular with the younger female audiences. This year, David Archuleta isn't only popular with the girls, but in general with adults and the elderly. I know his look has a lot to do with his popularity, but I wouldn't discredit his voice, he still delivers wonderful performances. I think the past few weeks he's made some mistakes, and the judges are not going easy on him, but he always manages to pick the right songs for me.

David Cook, the guy should win the competition, hands down, and it's obvious the judges want the public to recognise his talents. I have a feeling they want to see him win and are pimping him aggressively, even though I agree he deserves it all.

Brooke White... The girl is an angel. I hope she stays in till the very end.

Chikezie... He didn't pick any good songs most of the time. I feel for the guy, but that's as far as he could go.
Junpaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 20:35   Link #31
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
I really do hope Kriti goes this week, since with what's-his-face guitar guy, they're the worst of the bunch (with Ramiele up third last). Sadly, because this week is pretty much country week, I think Kristi yet again escapes.

David A shows that he's back in the game. While I do think he's a very good singer, there's very few singers out there who sang as atrociously as he did during beatles week to live to tell the tale, let alone escaping the bottom three while at it.

As for the rocker division, I do tihnk Micheal Johns outperformed David Cook tonight. While Cook is certainly more original, Johns did his very well IMO. Second best performance for the night for me.

Now one thing I dislike about the judges, is that they hold Whitney Houston in high regard. Which, to be fair, is not unfounded. But to compare every contestant who sings the songs she made popular to her? It's really unfair, since while Syesha is NOT as good as Whitney (then again, who is?), she IMO blew the rest of the competition out of the water tonight. Every single one of them.

Judge a singer by their own merits, instead of comparing them who sang it better before, why don't you? >_>
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 10:36   Link #32
Junpaku
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008

This was my favorite performance of the night. I shed a few tears.
(I didn't know you could embed YouTube videos in forums.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3
Now one thing I dislike about the judges, is that they hold Whitney Houston in high regard. Which, to be fair, is not unfounded. But to compare every contestant who sings the songs she made popular to her? It's really unfair, since while Syesha is NOT as good as Whitney (then again, who is?), she IMO blew the rest of the competition out of the water tonight. Every single one of them.
I can agree to this. They compared contestants to her renditions a few times already, and it happened every time I liked their songs.
Junpaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 00:02   Link #33
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
Ramiele's gone? Excuse me while I rage a little, especially with Kristi still there AND at the bottom three yet again....

Bah, too bad Ramiele didn't have a week that went her way to truly showcase her talents. Oh well, it's true she did suck this week (again), so while I'm saddened another asian is gone, it's entirely understandable for me.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 00:28   Link #34
Animexcel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Yeah it's sad, but at least Ramiele can join her Danny boy now :P seriously I didn't like that guy's attitude. Anyway, Ramiele sometimes is just too cute, she makes me wanna lay on the floor and suck my thumb. Gawd, that cheesy over head camera angle where she's looking up at it in the beginning of the top 12 week; i dunno why but it bothers me...still.
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 17:09   Link #35
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
First of all, before the results show, I need to say something.

Watching the top 8 sang felt like a watching concert featuring different artists and genres. Seriously, that was amazingly good.

The underdogs were really shining out there, and tonight should be interesting. I personally don't know whom will leave. I liked Carly's performance the least, but I would never want her to leave now.

And no, you don't have to send me a PM just to say American Idol sucks.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 21:04   Link #36
Zaku Hyuga
Domo Ori Gato Mr. Roboto
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Village Hidden in the Leaves
Age: 21
Are they going to show who gets eliminated tonight or just the Idol Gives Back Show?
Zaku Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 21:49   Link #37
mcruz1014
Eye Have You
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
Thought I'd revive this after a week.

So Carly's gone now... but Jason and Brooke *flame shield* are still there? What is America doing?

Any thoughts on the best performance of the top 6? For me, it was David Cook again. It was nice to see that side of him, and now everyone knows the extent of his vocal range, and can't write him off as a one note rocker.
__________________

Currently Watching: Da Capo II Second Season, Kure-nai, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Nijuuu Mensou no Musume
mcruz1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 21:57   Link #38
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I personally think that Brooke is a great singer, but she's not enough for this competition. She does very well with the piano, but if she's not on her piano, then she fails. However, if she keeps playing ballads on the piano, then the judges get bored, since even though she's still very good, it's nothing unique. So I personally think that Brooke definitely deserves to win by talents alone, but this show requires more than talents, as we've all seen with Carly and Michael saying goodbye so early.

Jason...should have gone a long time ago. Right now, I think everyone except Jason deserves to be there.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 22:05   Link #39
mcruz1014
Eye Have You
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Jason...should have gone a long time ago. Right now, I think everyone except Jason deserves to be there.
Its a shame too. I feel that some of the singers with early exits ([B]Ramiele/B] and Michael especially) never got to show their full potential. This year's cast had quite a sum of untapped talent that for whatever reason (bad song selection, nerves, etc.) never showed itself.
__________________

Currently Watching: Da Capo II Second Season, Kure-nai, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Nijuuu Mensou no Musume
mcruz1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 13:14   Link #40
Animexcel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Something's bugging me about Brooke. When Simon said it would be Kristy going home, she gets all defensive for her and Simon says "Well, someone has to go."
Aside from messing up a couple times, she really needs to lighten up and not get nervous all the time. She seems so tense, have some fun, girl. Start out with a rate R movie while you're at it lol
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.