AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-04-12, 20:42   Link #41
CeDeR
forever hung over

then should i watch schoold days?is it any good?
Old 2007-04-12, 20:57   Link #42
Dark Lord Zenigame
ロリコン

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lord Zenigame
It's a game, the anime hasn't aired yet.

It's an example of the bastard lead character that a bunch of you apparently want to see, though... so I say go for it when it comes out this summer.
何物にも捕われる、
縛られず、
ただあるがままに己を生きる。
Dark Lord Zenigame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 05:59   Link #43
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
I guess normal male leads getting an army of girls falling for him appeals to the average joe who fantasises what the male lead in the anime is doing....

The creation of an average joe male lead to relate with normal people is all good and fine, except in certain situations where the females make advances on him and he chickens out, that just makes the average people go, "hey that's not what average people would do! i would of held her and made out with her!".

Really they try to relate it to average males, but fail at it...
Kinda depends. If the otherwise "average guy" has a hidden personality somewhere, making out with the first girl who makes advances on the spot isn't really complementing the "nice/caring" attitude he supposedly has. So, for the average male lead, that occurrence serves as a means for 1) a personality to make an apperance, 2) proving he has no personality whatsoever and get mixed up in all sorts of misunderstandings, with the potential to create a drama, or 3) chicken out and make the series longer

And all this without taking School Days character into account (and I'm not watching that for that very reason I am frustrated enough with weaklings like Takayuki, no point to get frustrated with bastards as well
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 06:59   Link #44
Bloodseeker

Its to be expected... I think that a lot of harem shows are supposed to fulfill the target audience's fantasies (getting a bunch of hot, cool women fighting over who gets to climb in bed with them without having to work to change their ways to make themselves more attractive), and of course the target audience for those types of shows tend to be a bunch of awkward social outcasts. (not to say that the entire audience fits the bill, but the people that the directors are targeting...) If you throw in a lead that's interesting, witty/charmingly stupid, socially and sexually confident, and generally just all around likable getting all of the girls, you're just giving them what they already see in school. If you throw in a lead that's socially and sexually awkward and who's sole lady-attracting quality is having manners (and maybe sharing a hobby with one or two of the girls), you've got fantasy fulfillment.

I'd like it if more harem-like anime (not necessarily actual harem anime, but shows with a similar feel) made it so that the harem lead had to consciously change himself before he could seduce his love interest/s. Part of why I liked Loved Hina was because, before Keitaro could completely seduce the women in the dorms, he had to gain confidence, learn to assert himself, and ultimately get himself in shape and work to make something of himself. (the relationships were in the works before he left on the excavation trip, but it wasn't until afterwards, when he came back really strong, collected, and confident, that Naru and Motoko seemed to realize that they could spend the rest of their lives with him)
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 09:01   Link #45
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Most of the harem anime I have seen the central guy is always projected as a wuss compared to normal anime chracters but when the situation arises he rises up to the challenge .
Old 2007-04-13, 09:29   Link #46
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

The better playboys IRL are the ones who can engage women in more ways than just looks. A RL example Mick Jagger (ugly as sin) for example is still railing girls old enough to be his grand daughter. But still considered a "wild man" (the flaw) and women feel they can tame him. The playboys in anime and in RL often come across as "conceited" hence women are wary/disinterested.

THe harem leads are flawed, and that's what draws women to them. They can be the one to complete him.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 09:54   Link #47
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
THe harem leads are flawed, and that's what draws women to them. .
Very well put, that statement obeys 2 laws of Animeverse : D

Quote:
Women are attracted to losers; men are attracted to anything.
Quote:
The less you care about women, the more opportunities you'll get. Inversely, the harder you try, the less you'll get.
Old 2007-04-13, 18:03   Link #48
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
Its to be expected... I think that a lot of harem shows are supposed to fulfill the target audience's fantasies (getting a bunch of hot, cool women fighting over who gets to climb in bed with them without having to work to change their ways to make themselves more attractive), and of course the target audience for those types of shows tend to be a bunch of awkward social outcasts. (not to say that the entire audience fits the bill, but the people that the directors are targeting...) If you throw in a lead that's interesting, witty/charmingly stupid, socially and sexually confident, and generally just all around likable getting all of the girls, you're just giving them what they already see in school.
So? I have social problems as well! At least I am trying to aim for higher expectations not lower ones.
Old 2007-04-13, 20:03   Link #49
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Women are attracted to losers
Whoa! Slow down on that one

Seriously, I would've had a lot more relationships in high school were that to be true

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 21:07   Link #50
DanielSong39

I think he meant that anime women are attracted to losers. Unfortunately it seems to be true more often than not.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 21:28   Link #51
Honey_and_Cleaver

I just want a bad past,unsocialable, dislikeble,misunderstood ,dark,no mercy,mean,chaotic,striving,never give up,not greedy,not selfless,self controlled yet good kind of guy who doesnt behave pitiful or egoistic infront of girls, just behave in his own style and cool. His actions speaks louder than his words.

Current Anime following: Gundam 00, Goshuushi-sama Ninomiya-kun, Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji, Night Wizard, Dragonout the Resonance, Minami-Ke, Shion no Ou, Shugo no Chara!, BLUE DROP, Rental Magica, Kimikiss pure rogue, Moyashimon,Majin Tantei Nourgami Neuro,Clannad
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 21:32   Link #52
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
mean and good? Isn't that contradictory?

Anyway, the only one that pops up in my head that fits in those descriptions is Nanaya Shiki, too bad it is the other conscious that has the harem.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 21:37   Link #53
Honey_and_Cleaver

Spoiler:

Current Anime following: Gundam 00, Goshuushi-sama Ninomiya-kun, Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji, Night Wizard, Dragonout the Resonance, Minami-Ke, Shion no Ou, Shugo no Chara!, BLUE DROP, Rental Magica, Kimikiss pure rogue, Moyashimon,Majin Tantei Nourgami Neuro,Clannad

Last edited by Honey_and_Cleaver; 2007-04-14 at 20:25.
Old 2007-04-13, 21:42   Link #54
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
use the [*spoiler][*/spoiler] tag without the *
Spoiler:
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 00:50   Link #55
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Whoa! Slow down on that one Seriously, I would've had a lot more relationships in high school were that to be true
Well those are not facts of life , those statement were taken from a research paper done by some students titled Everything I Ever Needed To Know I Learned From Anime
Old 2007-04-14, 05:34   Link #56
Honey_and_Cleaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
use the [*spoiler][*/spoiler] tag without the *
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Old 2007-04-14, 09:00   Link #57
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You don't even need to type in the spoiler tags any more thanks to our diligent admins (kudos to Nightwish). Just highlight the text and choose the button that has the "caution" symbol in the editing box. It will embed the text in spoiler tags.
Old 2007-04-17, 00:33   Link #58
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
I think he meant that anime women are attracted to losers. Unfortunately it seems to be true more often than not.
Bleh, I am just amazed how they try to raise up the otakus' hope's like that!
Old 2007-04-17, 03:23   Link #59
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

^ Well, parients raised your hopes even when you were drawing horrible nonsense. People need to hope
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 04:26   Link #60
cyth
ふひひ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_and_Cleaver View Post
I just want a bad past,unsocialable, dislikeble,misunderstood ,dark,no mercy,mean,chaotic,striving,never give up,not greedy,not selfless,self controlled yet good kind of guy who doesnt behave pitiful or egoistic infront of girls, just behave in his own style and cool. His actions speaks louder than his words.
What are you doing in this thread anyway? You're SCREAMING "I'm a bishounen fangirl!"

I don't know about you guys but I watch harem anime for the girls, not the guy. The male lead is just a necessity to wrap up the story, and a puppet on whom I get to pour all my frustrations if my favourite female character doesn't get "picked". Faceless, namelessly generic male protagonists are OK. I don't think they portray your average otaku, they portray the basic core of *any* male. Most guys think they're "nice", even if they aren't, anyway.

I wonder though if harem anime would be better off with intellectual whores as protagonists... As I hear, among the geeky, highschool technophile crowds, they're the most common "archtype" you can find in real life.