AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Ratings for Shippuuden 08-09
Perfect 10 13 12.04%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 12.96%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 24.07%
7 out of 10 : Good 26 24.07%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 9.26%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 4.63%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 4.63%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.93%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 7.41%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-04-13, 22:53   Link #41
DarrenW
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
I liked these two episodes. They're probably the best since eps 1 & 2 of Shippuuden. The fight with Sasori wasn't dragged so long as to be boring (much unlike the fight with Deidara). And there was an interesting revelation at the end. However, the one thing I didn't like about the fight was...
Spoiler:


And the 2nd episode really reminded me of why I loved Naruto (the show) to begin with. There were a bunch of flashbacks, sure, but I think they worked this time. They were poignant, and added to the mood stirred up by Naruto's memories of the relation between him and Gaara.

Not to mention, it almost looks like Sakura may actually become a decent character.

Anyways, good stuff this time. I've been disappointed with / felt silly watching pretty much all of the episodes after episode 2, but it looks like the show holds promise again.
__________________
Currently Watching: Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
DarrenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 23:11   Link #42
gibits
Endless
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
The reason the Sasori didn't kill Kankurou is because he admired his talent as a puppeteer. He still didn't offer to cure him though, since Kankurou will need about another 30 years before he can even hold a candle next to Sasori.
gibits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 00:21   Link #43
Cyz
"Show it to me"
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: In solitude, where we are least alone
Sasori's jaw is creepy. No wonder he covers it. Oh and seeing Naruto in a dramatic mood....well...it doesn't suit him IMO
__________________
~~ Project Cyz ~~
"There is no spoon"
~~~~~
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 00:49   Link #44
Zetrio
The Knight!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
I like episode 8. 8/10 by naruto standard.

But episode 9 seems very dragging, dry, boring and nagging. 2/10
Zetrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 01:25   Link #45
Kenu
magoi, magoi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
As a whole the two part episode was good.

The first part was better obviously.

The suspension of gravity in the second part was a little silly & plus the long noses.

Let's hope thet can maintain this quality in moving the story along.
Kenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 05:11   Link #46
evil-samurai
......
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Age: 27
The episodes were quite good, I didn't expect that Sasori was the one made those three puppets and the connection he has with that old lady whom looks like might play a part in the story.

The overall production of the episodes still could be better, but Its not crap like it has been in some episodes. I like the direction the story is moving in, doesn't look like that we will see Neji, Lee ect... very soon I'm sure that we will see Kakashi and co. get into a fight or two xD
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 06:23   Link #47
Last_Hope
System/Web developer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
I don´t know. This episode felt very much for people under the age of 10.

"OMG it´s the SUPERfast eagle!"
"OMG a level 1 message!"
"OMG sand is in dagner!"
(With lots of "cool" facial reactions...)

So far I think the episodes have been pretty good but this one wasn´t to my liking at all. There are things happening up ahead in the story that will just feel ridicoulus if they keep it this childish.
__________________

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 06:23   Link #48
skanlessflipboy
Ninetails
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: California
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to skanlessflipboy Send a message via MSN to skanlessflipboy Send a message via Yahoo to skanlessflipboy
I've just got back into the series. I stopped watching after episode 214-215 and had recently downloaded the rest of the series 2 days ago. I'm stunned.
skanlessflipboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 17:46   Link #49
Kyu410
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyu410
I was surprised that Deidara waited for Sasori in that Sand dune. I expected him to leave because it just seems like his character.
Kyu410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 00:32   Link #50
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: AnimeSuki Forums
I now understand why this episode was a full hour special. The first half was good, and the second half was a total snoozefest. Since only half of this special was any good, I give it a 6/10.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 00:35   Link #51
Zek
Eyebrows...
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 27
This would have been a pretty good episode, but as usual my complaint is about the pacing. They're still doing this ridiculous 1 chapter per episode pace, complete with the slow-motion action and pointless filler scenes. The animation was decent and the music is rather good, but the awful pacing ruins the whole thing. All they had to do was continue how they were handling it before the filler(which at this rate was completely unnecessary), but this is just insulting.
Zek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 00:46   Link #52
Kyu410
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyu410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zek View Post
This would have been a pretty good episode, but as usual my complaint is about the pacing. They're still doing this ridiculous 1 chapter per episode pace, complete with the slow-motion action and pointless filler scenes. The animation was decent and the music is rather good, but the awful pacing ruins the whole thing. All they had to do was continue how they were handling it before the filler(which at this rate was completely unnecessary), but this is just insulting.
Yeah they should do an episode for each 3 chapters. Also they should try their best to avoid pointless scenes unless it affects the story somehow.

But what got me upset was the fact we have to wait two weeks for an new hour special. I would rather wait with anticipation for one week other than two. I mean yeah they give us an hour now, but that just makes me want to see more.
Kyu410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 01:06   Link #53
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: AnimeSuki Forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zek View Post
This would have been a pretty good episode, but as usual my complaint is about the pacing. They're still doing this ridiculous 1 chapter per episode pace, complete with the slow-motion action and pointless filler scenes. The animation was decent and the music is rather good, but the awful pacing ruins the whole thing. All they had to do was continue how they were handling it before the filler(which at this rate was completely unnecessary), but this is just insulting.
The "pacing"? I've seen this canned response used in just about every Naruto episode thread since episode 3, but I can't quite figure out how it applies to this episode.

This episode was poorly written, featured poorly explained events (Sakura and the pill?), and appealed to the intelligence of someone in primary school, but I can't figure out how the pacing was in any way comparable to that of the previous episodes. How are you even measuring pacing? By using some pretentious, arbitrary number that is derived from the manga? How is it determined that more of this number in an episode is better, and when is the number too high for an episode to be enjoyable?

The problem with Naruto doesn't come from how many "chapters" from the manga each episode crams in--if they were, these past episodes would be better than the filler episodes, and they aren't--nor is it from the fact that Naruto has the appearance of being dumbed down. No, it comes from the fact that, after all of these years, we, the viewers, have grown up and have become more sophisticated than we previously were. Many fans stopped watching Naruto once it was announced that the fillers would last for a very, very long time (myself included), and, again, considering most of the people watching Naruto were/are teenagers, tweens, or children, most have matured. The problem with Naruto doesn't come from the producers, but rather the problem comes from us, and the bizarre nostalgia that we hold from years ago, of what we believe Naruto once was. The viewers have aged tremendously over the break, but the intended demographic hasn't. At one point, we were Naruto's intended demographic, but now that's no longer true, and you can't blame the writing staff for that.

Naruto writing, at least as far as the anime is concerned, has always sucked ass. The "pacing" has always sucked ass. Please, stop trying to compare Naruto now with nostalgia. Naruto is just a silly kids show that we're all slowly outgrowing. There's no sense in comparing it with what it "used to be". What it used to be no longer exists. So, hey, why don't we think of something different with our criticism, instead of just hopping on the elitist bandwagon?
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 01:30   Link #54
Zek
Eyebrows...
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish View Post
The "pacing"? I've seen this canned response used in just about every Naruto episode thread since episode 3, but I can't quite figure out how it applies to this episode.

This episode was poorly written, featured poorly explained events (Sakura and the pill?), and appealed to the intelligence of someone in primary school, but I can't figure out how the pacing was in any way comparable to that of the previous episodes. How are you even measuring pacing? By using some pretentious, arbitrary number that is derived from the manga? How is it determined that more of this number in an episode is better, and when is the number too high for an episode to be enjoyable?

The problem with Naruto doesn't come from how many "chapters" from the manga each episode crams in--if they were, these past episodes would be better than the filler episodes, and they aren't--nor is it from the fact that Naruto has the appearance of being dumbed down. No, it comes from the fact that, after all of these years, we, the viewers, have grown up and have become more sophisticated than we previously were. Many fans stopped watching Naruto once it was announced that the fillers would last for a very, very long time (myself included), and, again, considering most of the people watching Naruto were/are teenagers, tweens, or children, most have matured. The problem with Naruto doesn't come from the producers, but rather the problem comes from us, and the bizarre nostalgia that we hold from years ago, of what we believe Naruto once was. The viewers have aged tremendously over the break, but the intended demographic hasn't. At one point, we were Naruto's intended demographic, but now that's no longer true, and you can't blame the writing staff for that.

Naruto writing, at least as far as the anime is concerned, has always sucked ass. The "pacing" has always sucked ass. Please, stop trying to compare Naruto now with nostalgia. Naruto is just a silly kids show that we're all slowly outgrowing. There's no sense in comparing it with what it "used to be". What it used to be no longer exists. So, hey, why don't we think of something different with our criticism, instead of just hopping on the elitist bandwagon?
You really can't tell? When I talk about pacing I'm talking about the fact that very little actually happens in a Shippuden episode, and the anime team constantly stalls to fill the time. The manga chapters are relatively constant in their pacing and so they're a valid measurement with the anime. This episode should have been compressed into 20 minutes, not an hour special. A couple minutes of Kankuro getting his ass kicked would have sufficed. Cut out half the irrelevant scenes in Konoha(especially the full minute of a frog sitting on Jiraiya's face), the Sand nins staring at boulders, trim the ten minute flashback session, etc. They draw out the scenes that were in the manga and sprinkle filler throughout the episode to stall for time. It's boring. The anime team has crappy writers but the show is decent as long as they stick to the manga's script, but the more original crap they throw into the episodes the worse the show is.

We all know Naruto is a kid's show. It's always been intellectually insulting; I watch it hoping that the action will be entertaining, but in Shippuden it's not even good for that anymore because it's like they're fighting in molasses, and the anime team has no originality when it comes to expanding on fights. On top of that, it takes forever to get to them in the first place because all the boring scenes are so drawn out.
Zek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 03:34   Link #55
Mangs
So sexy it hurts
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norway
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Mangs Send a message via MSN to Mangs Send a message via Skype™ to Mangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish View Post
these past episodes would be better than the filler episodes, and they aren't-- Many fans stopped watching Naruto once it was announced that the fillers would last for a very, very long time (myself included)
So if you stopped watching when the fillers arrived, how can you say that shippuden is as bad as the fillers? You shouldn't have anything to compare with at all.

I'm getting so sick of some of you whiny people. I can't understand what your problem is, you keep pointing at the bad sides, even the most minor of minor. These episodes are NOT as bad as fillers, if you say that it's obvious you haven't watched them.

If they had put in no filler scenes at all, the series would catch up to the manga very fast, and then people will start whining about the fillers again. They saw the result of their previous filler spree, do you think they want it to happen again? If they had no filler scenes at all, it would have been 40-50 episodes and another 100 episodes of filler (yes to be honest, this is the way I would love it to be, but I can understand VERY well why the Naruto team doesn’t want it to be that way).

I love Shippuden as it is now, it’s really entertaining to watch. Yeah, a little slow moving at times, but I’m just thankful I’m not a manga reader so I doesn’t know how fast this scene was “supposed” to go, because I don’t care. As long as I am amused, I love watching Naruto, and shippuden amazes me for sure, even though it’s not as fast in every single scene, but at least these two episodes were awesome, I gave it a 9 (I didn’t even rate fillers 9 when I rated by “filler standard”).
__________________
I came, I saw, I pwned
Mangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 09:00   Link #56
DeDe
Ino-Shika-Cho
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyu410 View Post
Yeah they should do an episode for each 3 chapters.
There are now 105 chapters of Shipuden. 3 chapters for every episode would mean 35 episodes. So we would reach where we are in the manga probably by fall. 35 episodes doesn't even cover an arc and a half. There is no way you could squeeze 3 completed arcs and a quarter of an arc into that time frame without major cuts. People are complaining about just some added filler. Imagine whole scenes taken out and a bunch of characters removed.

Anyway, I'll add I liked the explanation from Tsunade about the growing bonds between Konoha and Suna. That was good filler.
__________________
DeDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 09:05   Link #57
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: AnimeSuki Forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangs View Post
So if you stopped watching when the fillers arrived, how can you say that shippuden is as bad as the fillers? You shouldn't have anything to compare with at all.

I'm getting so sick of some of you whiny people. I can't understand what your problem is, you keep pointing at the bad sides, even the most minor of minor. These episodes are NOT as bad as fillers, if you say that it's obvious you haven't watched them.
I didn't say I stopped watching the fillers as soon as they started, but rather around the time when it was announced that they would last over a year, which was roughly two or three filler arcs in. I stopped watching at around episode 170.

Nevertheless, I'm fairly steadfast that the quality of the storytelling has always been roughly the same quality, both before, during, and after the filler arcs. Were the filler arcs really that bad, or did they only seem that way because we impatiently waited for the show to resume the manga, knowing full well that everything we saw was completely inconsequential to the story? It's the sense that everything is meaningless that makes filler arcs so painful to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zek
When I talk about pacing I'm talking about the fact that very little actually happens in a Shippuden episode, and the anime team constantly stalls to fill the time. The manga chapters are relatively constant in their pacing and so they're a valid measurement with the anime.
I think you're confusing pacing with pace. Pacing involves how quickly events appear to proceed, either by the director using camera tricks or other things, such as lighting or sound. What you're talking about is the pace that the anime follows along with the manga, which is unrelated to the pacing. It only seems like they're the same because the people that make Naruto are retards when it comes to pacing, but, to use an old platitude, correlation does not mean causation.

This doesn't, however, get to why I believe measuring the "pacing" of anime episodes by using the number of manga chapters each episode spans is invalid, and to do so I will use this very special. If we split the two halves off into separate episodes, each episode contains an equivalent amount of manga. Yet the first half was very well paced, with an interesting fight scene that revealed intriguing story details and, for the most part, left off with me wanting more. Now, assuming the second half had the same amount of manga, which is all one can do given your numbers, all I can assume is that that part of the manga is shit, because that part of the episode was pure shit. The pacing between the two parts was completely different, and that has nothing to do with the amount of manga material they spanned, but everything to do with Naruto making a shitty kids show.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 10:53   Link #58
Kyu410
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyu410
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDe View Post
There are now 105 chapters of Shipuden. 3 chapters for every episode would mean 35 episodes. So we would reach where we are in the manga probably by fall. 35 episodes doesn't even cover an arc and a half. There is no way you could squeeze 3 completed arcs and a quarter of an arc into that time frame without major cuts. People are complaining about just some added filler. Imagine whole scenes taken out and a bunch of characters removed.

Anyway, I'll add I liked the explanation from Tsunade about the growing bonds between Konoha and Suna. That was good filler.
Yeah I love the filler scenes in the anime. I believe it adds comedy and the expressions that'll show just how they felt. But I guess your right I wouldn't want Naruto to end early.

I also liked that filler and the bikochu filler. It showed really good development in Hinata.
Kyu410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 11:49   Link #59
itachi29al
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: around
Hi, i am new to this forum. I honestly did not think this episode was that bad. It was far better then the previous ones. The first episode was quite good and i for one enjoyed the fight between kankuro and sasori. I think the anime team did a good job considering that they could not give away to much info on the abilities of sasori. The second episode was a little talky but also it was necessary to move the plot. The filler in episode two was a little boring but not enough to ruin the episode. Also the way the got the drama through that episode was well done. All in all i give it a 9/10.
itachi29al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 15:54   Link #60
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 34
I was not fond very much for episode eight, but there a few things that made up for an interesting twist.
Spoiler:


The end for the episode as well had some intrigue element.
Spoiler:


Episode nine returned more on par with the mood of the beginning episodes, and there were lots of stunning developments.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.