AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-12-30, 23:38   Link #401
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The interesting thing, is that the singer's outfit was quite revealing... until you realize she was wearing a full-bodysuit and all the bare flesh were just holograms.

Makes you wonder why she even bother to turn up if a hologram will do. I am sure it would be a scandal if she was caught with playing pre-recorded performances though.
The same reason she went on with her interview even when tired, and insisted to finishing her concert before of course, knowing that that place was under attack.

She's Sheryl Nome, and she's damn proud of that fact.
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 23:39   Link #402
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Makes you wonder why she even bother to turn up if a hologram will do. I am sure it would be a scandal if she was caught with playing pre-recorded performances though.
In the far future, Vanilla Ice is the way to go. Galactic Idol with Lip Scynching

Anyway, the last time a hologram stand in was used in a concert there was mass suicide and a rogue drone plane armed with nukes flying around. I'd rather avoid that sort of drama... >_<
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 23:44   Link #403
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 31
Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime View Post
In the far future, Vanilla Ice is the way to go. Galactic Idol with Lip Scynching

Anyway, the last time a hologram stand in was used in a concert there was mass suicide and a rogue drone plane armed with nukes flying around. I'd rather avoid that sort of drama... >_<
*flocks to the rising smoke & explosions*

eh?

I rather have more actually.
__________________
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 00:04   Link #404
changeup
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Hard to judge a series merely by one single episode... I love the character and mecha design. The animation is fluent. The graphic is beautiful.

The downside: whoever's singing the song "Do you remember love" is not even a million lightyears close to Mari Iijima... The plot paid too much tributes to the original series that... well, to the extend of outright copying...

The male protagonist looks much more attractive than Hikaru Ichijou. Will he put on a girl's outfit in the future? lol...
changeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 00:39   Link #405
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles
And hobbesfan, LIDS? It's a colony. It's not a war ship. And why would they need LIDS when they obviously have an energy shield? Would you really think a flimsy lid would do anything? When those bugs' plasma beams sliced through WARSHIPS? lol
Macross Frontier, like all New Macross-class ships have a shell to go overtop of the colony's transparent dome. I believe that there's even a graphic saying something about the shell being closed after the aliens attacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Sheryl Nome is also a pretty interesting character. To me she represents the emptiness of the current pop-idol establishment.
You may be premature in criticizing her. As far as I can tell, she simply draws very clear delineations between a professional and an amateur. As a professional singer, Sheryl even seems to hold herself to pretty high standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
I personally think the two big I.G series from this year in Seirei no Moribito and Ghost Hound look a lot better than Gundam 00 and Clannad
There's also Dennou Coil, Baccano and Mononoke. This has been a great year for animation; it's a pity that most of it was for relatively non-mainstream tastes, so it got overlooked. (And then there's always the curmudgeons who complain that the modern stuff is so much worse than the older stuff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadorna
It s the best first episode since macross +, and the only thing i hate is the name Alto(spanish) (high or tall in english) is Lameeee for a spanish speaker point
Given Macross' musical influences, Alto is probably named for the musical or singing range (usually it's a woman's voice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
Makes you wonder why she even bother to turn up if a hologram will do. I am sure it would be a scandal if she was caught with playing pre-recorded performances though.
Given the popularity of Sharon Apple, musical fans in Macross have generally been relatively receptive of holographic performances as long as it's "the real thing" performing them. I rather like the idea of holographic clothing since its A) a logical extension of previously introduced techonolgies, B) it makes for a really quick clothing change, and C) it makes for very interesting visual effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeup
The downside: whoever's singing the song "Do you remember love" is not even a million lightyears close to Mari Iijima...
If you pay careful attention, you can tell that Iijima Mari sang the last line in the ED.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 01:30   Link #406
redphoenix
Drift King
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maihama Server
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post

i was amused by the "listen to my song!" line
Yes, I found that very amusing.
That, coupled with the fact that her song didn't really mean jack...

I mean, Minmay would say "watashi no uta wo kike!" or something like that, because she wanted people to listen to what she's singing... err... because she felt it was important and wanted to end the war, not because she wants you to get jiggy and back that thang up to lyrics about galaxies, kisses, and something in indecipherable Engrish that's sweet and on standby. So for right now, this Sheryl Norme clown ranks an A1 lamezorz in my book.

Though that gravity/boobs part was cool...
redphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 02:22   Link #407
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by redphoenix View Post
Yes, I found that very amusing.
That, coupled with the fact that her song didn't really mean jack...

I mean, Minmay would say "watashi no uta wo kike!" or something like that, because she wanted people to listen to what she's singing... err... because she felt it was important and wanted to end the war, not because she wants you to get jiggy and back that thang up to lyrics about galaxies, kisses, and something in indecipherable Engrish that's sweet and on standby. So for right now, this Sheryl Norme clown ranks an A1 lamezorz in my book.

Though that gravity/boobs part was cool...
The main male character, at least, agrees with you. He didn't see what's so talented about her that earned her name as the "Galaxy Fairy". He certainly wasn't impressed with her singing.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 02:32   Link #408
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The main male character, at least, agrees with you. He didn't see what's so talented about her that earned her name as the "Galaxy Fairy". He certainly wasn't impressed with her singing.
Well, that might have been caused more by being preoccupied with Ranka.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 02:35   Link #409
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Macross Frontier, like all New Macross-class ships have a shell to go overtop of the colony's transparent dome. I believe that there's even a graphic saying something about the shell being closed after the aliens attacked.
Hmm. Didn't notice that because the animation really didn't bother showing that effect. Then again, that just proves how useless the 'lids' for the colonies really are. It's amazing that I heard the same argument at least 5 times in multiple forums about it.

Quote:
You may be premature in criticizing her. As far as I can tell, she simply draws very clear delineations between a professional and an amateur. As a professional singer, Sheryl even seems to hold herself to pretty high standards.
I think pop idols are decently down to earth actually. To me, Sheryl is the typical diva in the way of the Opera. As in something between stuck up, out of touch (I mean, professionalism is okay, but still holding onto that distinction in a life or death situation?). Just plain diva. You can't expect much. Again, I fully expect that part of her to change as it always happens.

Quote:
There's also Dennou Coil, Baccano and Mononoke. This has been a great year for animation; it's a pity that most of it was for relatively non-mainstream tastes, so it got overlooked. (And then there's always the curmudgeons who complain that the modern stuff is so much worse than the older stuff)
Not sure about Baccano and Mononoke as much, but I agree. Even with less ambitious stuff like Sketchbook, Ookiku Furikabutte and Shugo Chara, they're showing what you can do with different animation styles even beyond the more serious fare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeup View Post
The downside: whoever's singing the song "Do you remember love" is not even a million lightyears close to Mari Iijima... The plot paid too much tributes to the original series that... well, to the extend of outright copying...
I wouldn't jump the gun about the plot yet. The actual plotline is worlds different and it appears the enemy is probably a farcry from the actual Zentraedi of the past.

People had the same gripe with Gundam Seed, but in the end, the story between original and the new anime differed pretty significantly. I wouldn't put the aesthetic similarities as being plagiarist.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 04:01   Link #410
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
Well, that might have been caused more by being preoccupied with Ranka.
He only started looking for her in the crowd once he got bored with the performance.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 06:21   Link #411
Tsukiyomi
step closer to Amaterasu
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Macross Frontier, like all New Macross-class ships have a shell to go overtop of the colony's transparent dome. I believe that there's even a graphic saying something about the shell being closed after the aliens attacked.
It's a neat design since the Macross 7 days, but one really should question the purpose of having an "open dome" other than aesthetic appeal from the outside. The holographic Terran atmosphere can be generated inside even with a permanently closed dome architecture
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
You may be premature in criticizing her. As far as I can tell, she simply draws very clear delineations between a professional and an amateur. As a professional singer, Sheryl even seems to hold herself to pretty high standards.
There are some pretty good theories about this character going around here, but I still think it's too early to draw conclusions on Sheryl from one episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Given the popularity of Sharon Apple, musical fans in Macross have generally been relatively receptive of holographic performances as long as it's "the real thing" performing them. I rather like the idea of holographic clothing since its A) a logical extension of previously introduced techonolgies, B) it makes for a really quick clothing change, and C) it makes for very interesting visual effects.
Lynn Minmei in Macross Flashback also had holographic clothing, and in Macross 1, holographic projected clothing was introduced with the Minmei and Hikaru rendezvous scene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
If you pay careful attention, you can tell that Iijima Mari sang the last line in the ED.
It really does sound like her now that u mention it! How can we confirm this?
__________________
He whose strength is flawless
Tsukiyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 07:32   Link #412
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles
Hmm. Didn't notice that because the animation really didn't bother showing that effect. Then again, that just proves how useless the 'lids' for the colonies really are.
The shell is much more noticeable if you've watched Macross 7 - in the first episode of Frontier, it's relatively easy to miss. For the most part, it isn't useless at all since it provides quite a bit more protection than the regular dome does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles
I think pop idols are decently down to earth actually. To me, Sheryl is the typical diva in the way of the Opera. As in something between stuck up, out of touch (I mean, professionalism is okay, but still holding onto that distinction in a life or death situation?).
To the point of leaving the professionals to handle emergency situations? I can't really see what's wrong with that at all. I'd imagine that in a ship/colony like Frontier, a citizen's task in emergencies would be to see himself to shelter; and that any attempt to make themselves "useful" is more likely to hinder the emergency staff than it is to be actually helpful. Of course, there are exceptions to this, but they're exceptions - not the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukiyomi
It's a neat design since the Macross 7 days, but one really should question the purpose of having an "open dome" other than aesthetic appeal from the outside. The holographic Terran atmosphere can be generated inside even with a permanently closed dome architecture
Well, the New Macross ships are civilian colony vessels that travel for decades, so I'd say that aesthetic appeal isn't an insignificant factor. Besides, outside of military activity and other emergencies, the standard dome layer appears to be quite sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukiyomi
Lynn Minmei in Macross Flashback also had holographic clothing, and in Macross 1, holographic projected clothing was introduced with the Minmei and Hikaru rendezvous scene.
I believe that the holographic clothing was first shown in Do You Remember Love. In-universe, that was a fictional movie, so it can be put down as a special effect, so I wouldn't count it as evidence . On the other hand, I wouldn't imagine that too many posters have watched Flashback 2012 since that was just a bunch of music videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukiyomi
It really does sound like her now that u mention it! How can we confirm this?
I can't recall seeing her name in the credits, so there might not be any way of confirming it for the time being. However, there isn't a whole lot of reason to use anyone else's voice for that song (aside from Nakajima Megumi), and Iijima Mari has expressed an interest in performing in Macross-related material again, so it'd be the logical explanation.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 10:24   Link #413
Tsukiyomi
step closer to Amaterasu
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
The aesthetic appeal is mainly for the production team and the viewers. I'm saying the design is unnecessary since they can just have it a closed dome with however many layers they claim it has unlike this Macross 7 design where it feels like u can destroy their entire city with one missile thru cheap glass.. or claws of a red alien =p

I remember seeing Robotech on tv and felt really scammed after they jumped from the Macross saga to Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada. The plot and styled felt really weird and i lost all my favorite music and valkyries. I was lost as to what just happened until i realized they pasted those series together.

And now there's the praised Robotech Shadow Chronicles =o
__________________
He whose strength is flawless
Tsukiyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 10:44   Link #414
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukiyomi View Post
The aesthetic appeal is mainly for the production team and the viewers. I'm saying the design is unnecessary since they can just have it a closed dome with however many layers they claim it has unlike this Macross 7 design where it feels like u can destroy their entire city with one missile thru cheap glass.. or claws of a red alien =p
The alien didn't use its claw; it fired the BFG cannon at it from point-blank range.

And the dome was clearly stronger than it appears, as it did not suffer more than a puncture. If it was weak, the entire dome would have been destroyed.

Further, there was definitely some advanced system that held in the air. The hole also appeared to have sealed itself somehow, so the colony definitely has enough backup systems to minimize effects of structural damage.

A colony ship is a place to live. Aesthetics is just as important as practicality, as civilians might have to spend the rest of their lives on board. A beautiful colony ship can contribute to improving the mental health of its citizens.

For that matter, if I build a colony ship that isn't beautiful, I might have difficulty in recruiting colonists. The Frontier colony fleet isn't built for a group of refugees, but for volunteers who want to travel. People don't have to get on board, so the fleet designers have to make sure the living conditions are of high enough quality as to entice people to sign up. It's like trying to put an apartment up for rent; the apartment don't need to have a garden, but it helps to improve its desirability.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 11:27   Link #415
ChronoReverse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
They probably was already closing it but just didn't finish. One of the notable comments about the aliens were how fast they were (even the VF25 can't keep up). Besides, it looks like the transparent part had some kind of shielding as well as being quite tough and self-sealing.

The red alien had to use its destroyer busting cannon and the VF25 had no qualms about firing right at it. Considering how powerful that cannon was, it was getting in dome or no dome.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 16:48   Link #416
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Not sure about Baccano and Mononoke as much, but I agree.
Yeah I agree with Baccano! not being as good as SnM, GH & DC but Mononoke is a breath of fresh air personally.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 23:55   Link #417
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
He only started looking for her in the crowd once he got bored with the performance.

Yep, after he had time to actually watch to the performance, poor Sheryl couldn't hold a candle to Ranka.

So is Ranka part Zentradi?
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 02:14   Link #418
markwisski
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post

A colony ship is a place to live. Aesthetics is just as important as practicality, as civilians might have to spend the rest of their lives on board. A beautiful colony ship can contribute to improving the mental health of its citizens.

For that matter, if I build a colony ship that isn't beautiful, I might have difficulty in recruiting colonists. The Frontier colony fleet isn't built for a group of refugees, but for volunteers who want to travel. People don't have to get on board, so the fleet designers have to make sure the living conditions are of high enough quality as to entice people to sign up. It's like trying to put an apartment up for rent; the apartment don't need to have a garden, but it helps to improve its desirability.

Which brings me to something that I got a huge kick out of when watching the pilot; not only have they made the colonies aesthetically appealing, they've copied aspects of various earth cities wholesale.

I live in San Francisco, and it was a bit freaky to see the Market and Powell cable car turnaround appearing in a space colony, even more so than the Golden Gate bridge. And from what some of the signs said, apparently there are replicas of San Francisco and Shibuya right next to each other? The front of the cable car even says "Shibuya Market." Personally, I would love to be able to hop on down to Market & Powell and take the cable car to Shibuya. Talk about convenience!

I wonder if they even replicated the cable system for the cable cars? Be kinda pointless if they didn't.
markwisski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 04:39   Link #419
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Just watched the first ep of this and wow...colour me impressed I haven't seen any of the past series so this could be a rather steep learning curve but I'm coping quite well so far. The story is interesting and different from what I normally watch. It has been a while since I last seen starship troopers, and this reminds me of just that ^^ The fight was awesome and flashy...but finally who can deny princess trap san
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 05:11   Link #420
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Wonder if Hobbe Fan will show his face in this thread again after getting so throughly embarrassed when his rant has been eh... "corrected"..... Do some research for episode 2 or actually pay attention to the episode when you come back to whine about that ep okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Yep, after he had time to actually watch to the performance, poor Sheryl couldn't hold a candle to Ranka.

So is Ranka part Zentradi?
At that stage, Alto's chance of banging Sheryl = 0%, Chance of banging Ranka... well higher than 0% that's for sure, lol! In that situation I'll rather be checking out Ranka too.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, romance

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.