AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-02-22, 15:50   Link #881
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
That isn't really the reason. Back in the early '80s, there wasn't a whole lot of revenue to be had by licensing anime to other countries, so such agreements tended to have very generous terms.
I meant in general terms of anime companies holding onto franchises in Japan alone. I do think the unprecedented way of selling the franchise name had a huge part in it though. I'm not disagreeing.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you'd characterize SDF Macross' success as "unlikely" when it was popular enough for the series to be extended from 26 to 39 episodes. About the only thing that was unlikely about it was how successful it was in the West, but even there, other shows like Yamato and Gatchaman and Speed Racer were popular as well.
I think that speaks for itself when the show was originally supposed to be 26 episodes (short for a mecha show even in its day). In its core, Macross was a simple love story with a lot of intergalactic warfare going on. It just didn't feel like it was even supposed to have sequels until the final arc linking it to future exposition. It's not like I'm downplaying why it's popular. It rose to the top due to its popularity obviously. But I seriously doubt that was the original intention to break loose with it when they had other shows lined up in a similar fashion. If by any chance any of those franchises made it big (imagine Ideon getting sequels for being too popular to let it end), then I don't see why any other given number of anime could have gotten a lengthier lease on life.

Quote:
The main stumbling block to more Macross shows is probably Kawamori himself: they've already tried making a show without him, and it proved to be a failure that wasn't worth repeating. And so we're limited to as many Macross shows as Kawamori wants to make.

I'm a little curious as to your counting technique: while there are only three Macross TV shows over 26 years, there are just eleven Gundam TV shows spread over 30. That's not too bad considering that Gundam is the most prominent anime franchise out there.
I had in mind everything upwards to the SD Gundam shows actually. Let's not get too specific here. I'm not some politician.

As for Kawamori's involvement, I do agree that his hand in creating the shows has a huge part. I just don't see them letting loose like some of the longer running mecha franchises. I doubt Macross will die with him though. Too much potential in the franchise for that to happen.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 05:18   Link #882
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Pics of the 25th Anniversary Macross Museum at Wonder Festival 2008.

Bandai will be making 1/72 Models (as shown in the foreground) and 1/60 Toy "Gokin DX" Perfect Transformation VF-25's from Macross Frontier!!!!

Last edited by pinoy78; 2008-02-24 at 15:44.
pinoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 19:00   Link #883
Destinyblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsaw View Post
I read that Frontier will start April 5, 19:30 hours.
I'd be interested to know where you read that. According to MOON PHASE, Macross F will be replacing Shakugan no Shana II on MBS's Thursday 25:25 timeslot (or Fridays at 1:25am).

I wondered if this show might get a decent timeslot since it is part of a known franchise, but it looks like that won't be the case.
Destinyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 21:48   Link #884
Warsaw
Fission Mailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinyblade View Post
I'd be interested to know where you read that. According to MOON PHASE, Macross F will be replacing Shakugan no Shana II on MBS's Thursday 25:25 timeslot (or Fridays at 1:25am).

I wondered if this show might get a decent timeslot since it is part of a known franchise, but it looks like that won't be the case.

http://gabrielarobin.com/162/macross...cial-show-date

read it here
Warsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 22:34   Link #885
4Tran

This contradiction in timeslots is a bit curious. However, I'm inclined to believe Moonphase's claims unless there was some sort of verification otherwise (besides, Animage might only be writing about the very first episode airing at 17:30).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I meant in general terms of anime companies holding onto franchises in Japan alone. I do think the unprecedented way of selling the franchise name had a huge part in it though. I'm not disagreeing.
Why do you feel that it was unprecedented?

Quote:
I think that speaks for itself when the show was originally supposed to be 26 episodes (short for a mecha show even in its day).
A show that's more popular than its creators thought it would be is quite a bit of a different concept than one whose success was "unlikely".

Quote:
I had in mind everything upwards to the SD Gundam shows actually. Let's not get too specific here. I'm not some politician.
If you are to do that, then be sure to include the shorter Macross works like Do You Remember Love, Macross 7 Dynamite, and so on. Under such criteria, the ratio of Macross : Gundam shows will stay about the same.

Quote:
As for Kawamori's involvement, I do agree that his hand in creating the shows has a huge part. I just don't see them letting loose like some of the longer running mecha franchises.
The only "longer running mecha franchise" of note is Gundam (unless you count the odd revival work like Speed Racer).
Old 2008-02-25, 06:24   Link #886
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinyblade View Post

Well there prob is competition for those slots with other types of programming. Soul Eater has one of them, 6 PM. Real Dive is scheduled at 24:59 on an unnamed network. xxxHOLiC hasn't even announced a schedule yet. Guess you have to do your Tivo if you want to watch Macross Frontier in Japan.
Old 2008-02-25, 13:33   Link #887
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
....or whatever highly advanced version of a TiVo the Japanese use to record these days, that will definitely make the pitiful excuse of Tivo we have over in the west look like old dogs.

Old 2008-02-27, 03:25   Link #888
abdelito

Spoiler:

Is there any information about this "SMS"?
abdelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 05:13   Link #889
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Why do you feel that it was unprecedented?
Okay, let's not get into the exact specific details as if this is some exact science. The fact of the matter is that Robotech was one of the first (just so you know, not THE first) to make that conversion. Even Gundam licensing came way after that.

Quote:
A show that's more popular than its creators thought it would be is quite a bit of a different concept than one whose success was "unlikely".
Did I mince my opinions or what?

Quote:
If you are to do that, then be sure to include the shorter Macross works like Do You Remember Love, Macross 7 Dynamite, and so on. Under such criteria, the ratio of Macross : Gundam shows will stay about the same.
I don't see how you can possibly spin it that way especially with the ridiculous amount of Gundam spinoffs out there.

Quote:
The only "longer running mecha franchise" of note is Gundam (unless you count the odd revival work like Speed Racer).
Again, I don't see why you are talking so specifically about it. I did say 'longer running franchise', not anything specifically so. The thing with Macross and other mecha shows, to me, is how there's a continuation or some type of an alternate story. If you must know why I feel that way, it's because I feel the franchise deserves more than what it already got, circumstances aside. Even since the 80's when I was basically a baby, I thought the series deserved more full fledged sequels. To me, anything beyond the original Macross was a bit of a disappointment (OVAs don't count to me either. They are OVAs after all). So I'm beyond glad that Macross Frontier is being made. If I sound like I'm comparing it negatively in terms of Gundam, that's not true at all, though I do think that franchise catered much more to the fans even if not all of them were of quality production, though a lot of them were. I mean, there are TONS of other mecha shows that has gotten the modern makeover to varying degrees. If Frontier does it all in stride, then it'd be a great panacea to my sequelitis.

Last edited by SuperKnuckles; 2008-02-27 at 05:23.
Old 2008-02-29, 15:35   Link #890
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

So apparently, the show will have further Yoko Kanno involvement with the singer who sung the OP for Escaflowne. This project seems to be getting bigger each day, it's crazy.
Old 2008-02-29, 18:34   Link #891
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
So apparently, the show will have further Yoko Kanno involvement with the singer who sung the OP for Escaflowne. This project seems to be getting bigger each day, it's crazy.
yeah, and the series haven't even (technically) aired yet!

lol.

I'm hoping for this thread to equal to some of the threads here that are 20ep+ in, before the 1st episode airs!

Old 2008-02-29, 21:31   Link #892
Ottocycle

Quote:
Sakamoto Maaya? This is huge news! Source please?

If it's true the only news that can best it, is Okui Aki joining in the effort to put out a Moon/Tsuki no Mayu calibre insert song/ED.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-29, 21:37   Link #893
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

ANN. And the loss of the ED song from director's cut version.
Old 2008-02-29, 21:42   Link #894
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

This is big news.

I mean big news. I had a i thought they'd bring in someone well known for the OP, though having the return combination of Maaya Sakamoto and Yoko Kanno? Brilliant choice. I can't wait to hear this beautiful team-up yet again.
Old 2008-02-29, 21:42   Link #895
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Dang, Sakamoto Maaya? While I loved her as a seiyuu actress (like Escaflowne and Ouran), I'm not terribly impressed by her singing. Oh well, at least she's not worse than Sheryl's seiyuu, so I guess there's an upside to things.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-29, 21:46   Link #896
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Dang, Sakamoto Maaya? While I loved her as a seiyuu actress (like Escaflowne and Ouran), I'm not terribly impressed by her singing.
Please tell me you're saying this when you haven't heard her late 90s/early 20s works? Your opinion should change after that.
Old 2008-02-29, 21:57   Link #897
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I have heard her in...

Arjuna
Escaflowne (both movie/TV)
Rahxephon
Lodoss War
Tsubasa

While not bad, all I can say she's pretty much forgettable just like the vast majority of seiyuu/singers. Then again, I watch American and Canadian Idol religiously, so my standards might be a bit too high.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 02:45   Link #898
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I think the more uneven and rough aspects of seiyuu singing songs has its appeal in anime though. Of course, if you put them out against legendary American/Western singers, you're going to pick bones with them.
Old 2008-03-01, 03:46   Link #899
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Dang, Sakamoto Maaya? While I loved her as a seiyuu actress (like Escaflowne and Ouran), I'm not terribly impressed by her singing. Oh well, at least she's not worse than Sheryl's seiyuu, so I guess there's an upside to things.
???

It's her acting performances that are largely forgettable. But her singing performances are very memorable. She has got a sweet recognizable tone, and her music tends to be written by none other than Yoko Kanno. Albums like Hotchpotch, Nikopachi, Grapefruit, DIVE, Lucy, Easy Listening, Shounen Alice, Yunagi Loop, it's all great stuff.

Quote:
I think the more uneven and rough aspects of seiyuu singing songs has its appeal in anime though. Of course, if you put them out against legendary American/Western singers, you're going to pick bones with them.
Who are we talking about being legendary? You can't mean Clarkson, Underwood, Sparks, or any whatever idol whose names we know by virtue of having won in public opinion polls of a really TV singing competition. Anybody would have a long way to catch up to the legendary musicianship of the likes of Ella Fitzgerald or Natalie Dessay or Kathleen Battle.
khryoleoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 04:30   Link #900
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I wouldn't be too quick on that. I actually think many aspiring American Idol and other new artists are way above the typical league of J-pop singers but that's only natural because there's so much more competition here with so many native musical genres. I really can't even name one J-rock artist who is really on the level of Daughtry for example. If you're talking about Ella, Melinda Doolittle (she didn't win, duh. popular votes..) was a nice alternative. Other than that, there's the whole slew of indie talent. Make no mistake, I absolutely love seiyuu singers and Japanese artists in general. But in a technical comparison, I don't have as much faith in Japanese singers. It's almost like the baseball comparison. Japanese baseball is fairly great in its own right, but it's no Major Leagues.

That said, I think the types of songs in J-pop tends to be more more mallow and easier to digest for me. Also, most Japanese songs don't really seem to steer towards having an attitude as much as Western (especially American) music tends to be.

Tags
action, romance