AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-03-14, 13:31   Link #1841
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchi View Post
This is quite interesting and add to Grace's motives, but like someone else said, it really should have been put in the series, not in some side material >_<
Thats what happens when you focus more on lolis and lulz plots(random SOL,random witless story insertion,ect) and not on the core aspects of the story/plot. At least M7 had a excuse Barsara was to busy writing music, "singing" or chasing ass ya know doing the whole aloof rock star thing.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 07:15   Link #1842
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Liner notes from Shaloom for episodes 23 and 24 are out. I have already translated the ones for episode 23 and will do episode 24 tomorrow.

All credits go to Shaloom from the Macross Generation forums. Direct links to the episode 23 liner notes are here, here and here.

Here goes:


Hiroshi Ohnogi was the guest on the MBS radio program and was interviewed by Bobby. It was also announced that Mr. Kawamori would be on the program, along with various members of the staff, for episode 25.

Bobby ( B ): Hiroshi-kun, I love how someone as beautiful as you will be again with me this night. And this episode was marvellous! Please tell me about this episode.

Hiroshi Ohnogi ( HO ): Thanks for your invitation, Bobby. What can I say? Only three episodes to go and I can say beforehand that the next two episodes are critical for a lot of characters.

B: Tell me that of course Ranka and I will light up the universe with our beauty!

HO: I wanted to make something even better with the staff, to show the Ranka Lee and Sheryl Nome I always wanted to see during all the series. The next two episodes are dedicated in a very important way to show the viewers that both those women are for Macross, not just this series.

B: Actually, I believe I hadnīt seen the audience as involved in a series for many years. Everybody is talking about it! Magazines, radio, internet. It is a phenomenon!

HO: That is precisely because of the characters. And because the staff, especially the director Kawamori, have shown in a very efficient way in this series all that is Macross. And I believe that the audience is very happy about this.

B: This episode begins with an enormous discovery, maybe as big as the planet which is shown. I am talking about Rankas past, tell me more about it.

HO: This past is a necessary element to show that Ranka is not only the fashionable new singer from Frontier. This past makes her the center of the series. We begin the journey getting to know her in a restaurant, she tried to be an artist, fell in love with a pilot and transformed into a princess, making true her dream in reality. But I wasnīt satisfied with the character, her form and background. I wanted to give her more deepness and show the viewers that her past doesnīt only define the series, to show the enormous fortitude of Ranka.
( I think we can say that Ohnogi failed here, bigtime. ^^ )

B: Why is such a painful past important for Ranka?

HO: Because the audience until today didnīt know the enormous emotional weight this character was carrying around in herself. Like the tragedy, the loneliness and the desesperation because she doesnīt understand her past and, of course, her present. She herself doesnīt like her capacity to be understood by the Vajra. I wanted to show that Ranka is stronger than she seems to be. ( Again, epic fail on that account. )

B: Of course Ranka is very strong! But she hasnīt had the opportunity to show that.

HO: Exactly. However, to show your strength, you first need to understand yourself. For example, I like the scene where she is travelling with her brother very much. In this moment both do not know that they are siblings, but they talk like they are. This is very difficult to write. The casual conversations are the most difficult to write. It is at this time when Brera shows what he believes, what he feels and what he thinks about the situation. It is a part of what one tries to define. You observe Rankas face, and it is not a face of curiosity, but of confidence. The enormous technology of the Valkyries cockpit, the possibility that the planet is abandoned or that the Vajra queen baited them into a trap… it all passes into secondary importance. It is a very intimate scene and I liked how it turned out.

B: I am fascinated how her brother gives her his harmonica as a present, promising her that he will fulfil whatever she wishes.

HO: As I said before, it is not a very easy dialogue, those are the the ones which express more emotion, but are more difficult to write.

B: I feel that this episode had a special dedication to let the three protagonists show how they had evolved until this point in the series.

HO: It actually is part of a balance where we want the viewers to know the intimate side of their favourite characters. Their reasons to fight, their convictions and their fears. But most importantly, it is so that with this the viewers know and understand how those characters will confront their nemesis in the finale.

B: For example, what did you want to express with Alto?

HO: Alto Saotomo is not a member of SMS anymore. Very surely, until this moment all the viewers thought that he was a very unique character, but that he had it all and very easy since the beginning: He is the pilot of the most modern Valkyrie of the fleet, lives his dream of flying and has the love and care of his loved persons. Even if he doesnīt have his real family, because of them turning him away when he followed his dreams... compared to Sheryl or Ranka, Alto doesnīt have real problems.

Because of this, when SMS abandons the fleet, suddenly we put Alto to the test. He is now an elite soldier. His opinion is considered by the important people in the fleet and he has young, inexperienced soldiers under his command. It is an evolution which only a little number of pilots in Macross had to confront. If I remember correctly, Hikaru and Alto are the only pilots who had this kind of responsibilities and growth. It isnīt easy to suddenly have administrative, military and personal responsibilities from one day to the next. Remember that he even takes care of Sheryl.

B: But you donīt see him very happy, I even believe that he is suffering.

HO: It is difficult, because in my opinion Alto has taken Sheryl as an example. From the first episode until their discussion in the Saotome household, it is clear that Alto admires Sheryl. Not for her beauty, fame and money, but for the manner in which she confronts her problems and the mentally she has. It is obvious that he suffers because she is in that emotional low and because he knows why that has happened. He knows that he is living in his own flesh a kabuki theatre production called: Resignation.

B: This is very strong stuff, Hiroshi-kun. Resignation to what?

HO: To the form in which he already had perceived his present. He remembers that already nothing is the same. Ranka is gone and didnīt listen to his entreaties to not go. Sheryl is dying and doesnīt possess the temper anymore which he used to know. SMS is gone and everyone in the fleet is calling them traitors. It is a completely different scenario under which he enlisted in the SMS. But Alto is masterfully interpreting his role in this theatric production. Even his brother Yasaburo throws this into his face. It isnīt easy for Alto. He knows about the decisions he will have to take in the final act and what how those will affect all the actors in this production. And in the end, the public will say if he played a good role or deserves a price as worst actor ( laughter ).

B: Sheryl surprised me very much, too. When I was watching the episode, I kept thinking: “Oh, what a joke! Sheryl has an incurable illness and probably will have a tragic end or she will be the super hero and wonīt die or they will revive her like Sleeping Beauty…” But I was totally surprised when I see that there was a cure and instead of using it, she refuses to! I didnīt expect her to do that.

HO: I had lots of discussions with Kawamori about this. He told me to keep the cure until the final episode. But this would be an enormous typical cliché of lots of television series, which use generic stories for generic romances. So I didnīt agree and tried to give a new turn to this story with a single intention: That the audience think about why she refuses this cure and if she is mentally prepared to confront the price she has to pay for this desire. And show in this way the Sheryl we all want to see.

B: You know? Now that you say that, I believe that the Sheryl from episode one wouldnīt have doubted a second to take this cure.

HO: It is good that you notice, because itīs true.

B: Define to me the Sheryl that you show in this episode.

HO: Brave. But also very desperate.

B: Desperate? Why?

HO: To love and be loved. And as a woman she faces a very strong challenge, maybe the strongest challenge of all characters: Is it worth to die for a few drops of attention? She was used to have it all, but now that she has nothing, she has begun to feel what it is to really fight to obtain what she desires. And I donīt mean the material things, but the emotional ones, what it means to be alive, to love and to be loved.

B: I honestly feel that Sheryl refuses the cure to keep Altos attention.

HO: I rather think that there is an enormous emotional and symbolic undercurrent. Simply think about this: The reasons may be what they are, but you will try to satisfy your emotional needs. Love is a set of rules contrary to the physical ones, we sacrifice our lives for the loved being, for a kiss or for a look. We are disposed to stand an entire night in the rain, only to make sure that our beloved one has gone to sleep. This doesnīt have logic and love doesnīt have logic. Sheryl has left logic at a side, because her heart fights to have Alto at her side, but she doesnīt know how. She is not interested in the audience, the applause or the number one hits in the charts, she interested in being loved and she wants to love him all that she has and the time which is left to her. It is natural that in this way she believes she will have his attention, although deep down she is suffering the cruelty of this same desire. Love is like this, you earn and you pay.

B: Although I think she did take away a very wrong impression when hearing what Alto said on the roof of the hospital.

HO: This is a very strong scene, because here Alto shows his true paradigm and his role in this production. Klan understands him and cries for him. And we also see that like every woman, Sheryl commits errors and this is what she shows in the scene on the roof, because she doesnīt understand the form in which to fly with Alto. Maybe you noticed it, but Sheryls paper plane is different, I thought we might express in this way the interpretation of how Sheryl thinks that Altos heart feels.

B: This conversation is incredible, Hiroshi-kun, but the time is running out and I beg and ask you to accompany me next week so we can keep talking about episode 24. Will you, my heart?

HO: Of course! We see us here next week.
__________________
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 07:28   Link #1843
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post

B: But you donīt see him very happy, I even believe that he is suffering.

HO: It is difficult, because in my opinion Alto has taken Sheryl as an example. From the first episode until their discussion in the Saotome household, it is clear that Alto admires Sheryl. Not for her beauty, fame and money, but for the manner in which she confronts her problems and the mentally she has. It is obvious that he suffers because she is in that emotional low and because he knows why that has happened. He knows that he is living in his own flesh a kabuki theatre production called: Resignation.
I can see cheesie happily beechslapping those who doesn't believe in her and Swampy doing a field trip dance with the confirmation in the bolded words

Quote:
B: This is very strong stuff, Hiroshi-kun. Resignation to what?

HO: To the form in which he already had perceived his present. He remembers that already nothing is the same. Ranka is gone and didnīt listen to his entreaties to not go. Sheryl is dying and doesnīt possess the temper anymore which he used to know. SMS is gone and everyone in the fleet is calling them traitors. It is a completely different scenario under which he enlisted in the SMS. But Alto is masterfully interpreting his role in this theatric production. Even his brother Yasaburo throws this into his face. It isnīt easy for Alto. He knows about the decisions he will have to take in the final act and what how those will affect all the actors in this production. And in the end, the public will say if he played a good role or deserves a price as worst actor ( laughter ).
*Sees cheesie dancing again for a correct interpretation for the second time*

Quote:
HO: To love and be loved. And as a woman she faces a very strong challenge, maybe the strongest challenge of all characters: Is it worth to die for a few drops of attention? She was used to have it all, but now that she has nothing, she has begun to feel what it is to really fight to obtain what she desires. And I donīt mean the material things, but the emotional ones, what it means to be alive, to love and to be loved.

B: I honestly feel that Sheryl refuses the cure to keep Altos attention.

HO: I rather think that there is an enormous emotional and symbolic undercurrent. Simply think about this: The reasons may be what they are, but you will try to satisfy your emotional needs. Love is a set of rules contrary to the physical ones, we sacrifice our lives for the loved being, for a kiss or for a look. We are disposed to stand an entire night in the rain, only to make sure that our beloved one has gone to sleep. This doesnīt have logic and love doesnīt have logic. Sheryl has left logic at a side, because her heart fights to have Alto at her side, but she doesnīt know how. She is not interested in the audience, the applause or the number one hits in the charts, she interested in being loved and she wants to love him all that she has and the time which is left to her. It is natural that in this way she believes she will have his attention, although deep down she is suffering the cruelty of this same desire. Love is like this, you earn and you pay.

B: Although I think she did take away a very wrong impression when hearing what Alto said on the roof of the hospital.

HO: This is a very strong scene, because here Alto shows his true paradigm and his role in this production. Klan understands him and cries for him. And we also see that like every woman, Sheryl commits errors and this is what she shows in the scene on the roof, because she doesnīt understand the form in which to fly with Alto. Maybe you noticed it, but Sheryls paper plane is different, I thought we might express in this way the interpretation of how Sheryl thinks that Altos heart feels.
O_o; I... Cannot say anything except that Ohnogi is an incredible man when he wanted to express what love is...

And... YES! Finally a confirmation for Episode 23! TTATT

*Points gun at magnuskn* Do your work for Ep 24 FAST! XD *Bakes cookies nao*
__________________

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 08:19   Link #1844
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Space-time
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary Send a message via Skype™ to forgottendiary
Made my day! <3

thanks magnus!!!!!
__________________
forgottendiary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 08:44   Link #1845
Teletha
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Texas
Quote:
B: Although I think she did take away a very wrong impression when hearing what Alto said on the roof of the hospital.

HO: This is a very strong scene, because here Alto shows his true paradigm and his role in this production. Klan understands him and cries for him. And we also see that like every woman, Sheryl commits errors and this is what she shows in the scene on the roof, because she doesnīt understand the form in which to fly with Alto. Maybe you noticed it, but Sheryls paper plane is different, I thought we might express in this way the interpretation of how Sheryl thinks that Altos heart feels.
I have the immature desire to scream I told you so to certain people. Thanks magnuskn. I bow down to Ohnogi's greatness.
Teletha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 08:51   Link #1846
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Well Ranka shippers were grasping for straws at that time so of course they were going to ignore an obvious misunderstanding by Sheryl. God you would think they would have come across similarly done scenes in other anime/manga...

And god Bobby's VA is more biased than the entire Sheryl fandom here put together. I know it's an act and all but lmao if his sickening bias turned some radio listeners more towards Sheryl.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 08:58   Link #1847
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
That has made my day. if I could give cookies to you, magnuskn, I would. And in a heartbeat too. *U*

Ohnogi is truly a genius.

And man, Bobby's VA is more openly bias than Kawamori. It sickens me...

I love how Ohnogi politely refuses Bobby's pressings of Ranka love. XDD Especially in the previous interviews. XDD

Ohnogi: !!! I ain't smokin' no green, beeches. XDDD
__________________

Last edited by raile; 2009-03-25 at 09:13.
raile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 09:13   Link #1848
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Space-time
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary Send a message via Skype™ to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Well Ranka shippers were grasping for straws at that time so of course they were going to ignore an obvious misunderstanding by Sheryl. God you would think they would have come across similarly done scenes in other anime/manga...

And god Bobby's VA is more biased than the entire Sheryl fandom here put together. I know it's an act and all but lmao if his sickening bias turned some radio listeners more towards Sheryl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
That has made my day. if I could give cookies to you, magnuskn, I would. And in a heartbeat too. *U*

Ohnogi is truly a genius.

And man, Bobby's VA is more openly bias than Kawamori. It sickens me...

I love how Ohnogi politely refuses Bobby's pressings of Ranka love. XDD Especially in the previous interviews. XDD
Haha! And here I was trying to keep thoughts of "I officially hate Bobby" to myself.
__________________
forgottendiary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 09:17   Link #1849
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
P.S. Sometimes I get the feeling that Ohnogi was browsing through AS and picked up things in cheesie's and Swampeh's posts. XD

Too damn accurate that it's suspicious.
__________________
raile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 09:22   Link #1850
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
And god Bobby's VA is more biased than the entire Sheryl fandom here put together. I know it's an act and all but lmao if his sickening bias turned some radio listeners more towards Sheryl.
You know... Perhaps Kawamori make the script for the questions... But hey, it's just an assumption
__________________

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 09:32   Link #1851
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Europe
Age: 29
Finaly managed to read it. Great material! Thank you for the work Magnus! All is clear now. The end shall the ep 24 and it's notes. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait
__________________

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Urei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 10:24   Link #1852
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Actually, in the next liner notes we see that the VA of Bobby and the character of Bobby he plays behave quite differently.

Also, I shed some RL tears when reading those ep 24 liner notes, I guess you will know at which point.
__________________
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 10:30   Link #1853
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Also, I shed some RL tears when reading those ep 24 liner notes, I guess you will know at which point.
O_O

Oh my. I can't wait.
__________________
raile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 10:32   Link #1854
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bobby confesses to Ozma?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 10:33   Link #1855
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 36
Thanks for the notes, Magnus. Unfortunately, I have no cookies ready yet - but when they are, you'll be the first to receive some freshly baked ones...

Also, good for us, on the whole Sheryl misunderstanding Alto's words. That's why her paper plane fell down, not because they weren't meant to be together, like certain parties would so ebulliently like us to believe. You go, Mr. Ohnogi.
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 10:56   Link #1856
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Since I was so pumped up about reading the episode 24 liner notes, I made time to translate them, too. Very good stuff in them, really. I got quite emotional at one point.

All credits go to Shaloom from the Macross Generation forums. Direct links to the episode 24 liner notes are here, here and here.

---

Bobby: Hiroshi-kun. Again I want to thank you very much, pretty boy, that you are keeping me company.

Hiroshi Ohnogi: Itīs nothing.

B: Keep me company… on my program.

HO: Indeed.

B: Only you and me.

HO: And the other guys in the booth ( laughter ).

B: But they wonīt go on a dinner with me today. But you will.

HO: Sorry, Iīll go on a dinner with my wife, you know, it is important to take care of your family ( laughter ).

B: Then Iīll ask permission from your family. And, talking about family, it is very cruel how life turns around. In an instant you are with your mom and your brother, singing a pretty song, then everything becomes a tragedy.

HO: And in such a way that it becomes a source of manipulation. Of blockage, of forgetfulness. The tragedy is horrible. Although there were many things which for reasons of time we couldnīt explore as deeply as they should have been. Even so, I believe that the episode begins with a good rhytm. It is very difficult to determine the psychology of Ranka and show the spectator the true magnitude of the tragedy she suffers.

B: It is a tragedy which affected very many persons.

HO: And it is not comfortable to confront it. For example, Ozma doesnīt feel comfortable even exploring the rest of the 117th fleet.

B: Even so, this tragedy shows a lot of very important information! For example, this episode confirmed an important link to a previous work of director Kawamori: Macross Zero. I already know that there was that precious episode ten. I was in the filmation, okay? But it was a visual re-design, a homenage. In episode 24 it is complemented and you integrate a very distant part of the story.

HO: It was, in fact, a desire which Kawamori had since we worked on Macross Zero, five years ago. That we would integrate the story of Sara, Mao and Shin into a project in the future. Even so, eight years ago I didnīt have an idea that we would do it in this manner. When I was writing the script for Macross Zero in 2001, I decided to touch on the subject of mysticism and spirituality as a reference to the myths and symbols of the saga, like the protoculture, the tribal traditions and duality of nature versus technology. Now in 2008, Kawamori told me that there were a lot of opportunities to integrate this project ( Macross Zero ) with Macross Frontier. When he included me in this project, Kawamori explained to me that Sheryl would not have more reference ( to Macross Zero ) than her last name Nome. A wink between the fans. But then I noticed that weīd lose an excellent opportunity, and so the family Nome would be lost like the family Ichijyo. It is to say, I believe it was time to work an a more direct reference with the characters and not only winks to the fans.

B: Are you trying to tell me that it was not planned that Sheryl would be a descendant of Mao Nome, outside of the reference to her last name?

HO: Not exactly. When we produced Macross Zero, I intentionally wrote in many loose ends. The Bird Man is one of them. Roi Kanu and Roi Waka are others. They are loose ends we left in on purpose, so that we could take them up again in the future and integrate them into another story and so expand with order and congruency a saga which has 25 years in the market. We looked for congruency and not to leave characters or references without taking care with them. The case of the family Nome is very interesting. They have a very special blood type. They have a bloodline with the Bird Man. It is to say, they have access to things which can be catalogued as magic. Will we one day completely see what they can do with those abilities, which we cannot comprehend and therefore call magic? I am getting emotional just thinking about the ideas I have in just this moment. But it takes a lot of time, too, thinking about them and developing them in profundity.

B: I loved especially that Sheryl is the granddaughter of Mao. She was my favourite character in Macross Zero!

HO: Mine, too! ( laughter )

B: Really?

HO: Indeed. Mao was a challenge to me. And integrating her into Macross Frontier was an excellent idea. At least we, as fans, saw her and her families future on Frontier.

B: Even while the concept of the “Superdimensional Network”, and that everybody knows what I am thinking, makes me nervous, Iīd like you to explain to me why you use this concept. It sounds to me like it is something in the way of computers and that it is fashionable in these times full of the internet, cyber cafés and webpages.

HO: Partially, it is a idea of Yasuhito Kikuchi, before I became part of Frontier. However, outside of it being a network of data and information, which every expert in computers wouldn’t think much about, I decided to give more focus to this concept into the direction of emotions. Toward feelings. Not towards information but to what you feel. From there it complements with the “discovery” of the granddaughter of Dr. Mao and it complements the scene of the captain and Monica. Did you know that Cathys words are verbatim from a meeting we had during production?

B: Really? Tell me! This scene fascinates me!

HO: When we were reading the script, I remember that we had written totally another thing. Cathy asked herself who the granddaughter would be and they would find the photo in the documents, leaving Cathy and Ozma surprised. However Kawamori and I were not convinced that it was important that the others would know Sheryls past or if that would give the character much more impact inside the story. We felt it was important to surprise the audience and not the characters. So Kawamori began to think that it would better that Cathy would express her viewpoint of the network in terms of feelings. He then asked me “Hiroshi-kun. How would you tell that in this network you wouldn’t be able to really tell someone what you feel?" And I think that Cathy possessed me and talked through me in this meeting. So we transcribed the dialogue and so it came out in the final edition.

B: Incredible, Hiroshi-kun! You delight me!

HO: You scared me, Bobby ( nervous laughter ).

B: But pretty boy, the goodbye scene between Alto and Sheryl. I think it is the favourite scene of many!

HO: For me it is a desire made reality.

B: A desire?

HO: Indeed. Actually, it is more obvious for the veteran fans. It is a homenage to the goodbye scene between Hikaru Ichijyo and Minmay in the episode “Aiwa Nagareru”. It is something I wanted to do.

B: Tell us, Hiroshi-kun! Please!

HO: Well, the original scene, which you surely remember, was written by my teacher Tsukehiro Tomita-sama y splendidly directed by my mentor and almost-father of everyone of us at Studio Nue: Noburo Ishiguro-sama. I remember that when I was at university and director Kawamori insisted on me coming to the studio and helping them, because they needed script writers, I arrived just when Tomita-sama gave this booklet to post-production and he would go on to write DYRL. I remember that I couldnīt stop reading this scene, I was fascinated by the timing, the dialogue, the emotions, the surroundings. I thought that so many things in my heart would not be well drawn and was surprised again when we saw the finished episode in the studio. I was moved very, very much by this scene. The image surpassed my imagination and this was done by Ishiguro-sama. I remember that then every night, for three months, I wrote and re-wrote again this scene, ripped up the papers and wrote it once more. With other characters, with me and my wife, me and my muses, characters of other series on which I was working on. And finally I wrote a mini-script with the names kept in blank and stashed this away for years.

B: Names kept in blank?

HO: Indeed. I didnīt know which characters I would use in that scene. I didnīt even know if Iīd use it for another series which wasnīt Macross. When in pre-production Kawamori told me about his idea that Sheryl would go to Alto and confess to him, my mini-script came to my mind and I asked him for two hours time. I went to my house and went to my closet and searched for the sheets. I thought it would be a good homenage. Even while it took me more than two hours, I could not find the box in which I kept them( laughter ).

B: So Sheryl would confess herself? I donīt believe it!

HO: I couldnīt believe it either!

B: I can imagine the angry face of the director when you told him ( voice of angry Bobby ) “One moment! Sheryl and Alto will do the scene this way!

HO: It wasnīt exactly like that ( nervous laughter ). Director Kawamori was very interested in seeing what I had in mind. When I read the script to him, which reflects dialogues of a man and a woman which love each other, but do not want to say it, knowing that they could die in the coming battle, the only thing Kawamori told me was “You are defining the triangle!”. We then had a very long debate. He desired to reserve things for himself for the final episode. But then I told him “Tomita-san wrote Aiwa Nagareru badly? Hikaru kisses Minmay with much passion, this did not define the finale in Macross. The series needs a classic moment which the fans will remember in 25 years, like Tomita-sama and Ishiguro-sama did it, risking it all for a kiss on screen.”

B: And what did the director say to this?

HO: He was at the point of saying something, but then stopped and kept thinking. He asked me to leave him alone. So I went out of his office and went home to wait for his answer, as it was already very late. I remember that Risa Ebata sent me an email this night, that director Kawamori didnīt get out of the studio until the next day, closed off in his office. Erasing and writing things. I told her not to worry and that what the director would decide, would be the best for the series. The next day I got a message on my cellphone from Kawamori : “You are right, it will be a fantastic scene”. And almost immediately, I received an email from Ebata-san, saying “I am so happy, I am crying, my pretty baby finally got her first kiss of love, thank you!” I suppose she was reading the script at the time ( laughter ). I understand that she alone made the animation of Alto and Sheryl, because she wasn’t disposed to leave to others the kiss of her “pretty baby”. I think she is Sheryl-fan number one! ( laughter ). And I believe it came out very well, I am very satisfied how it appeared in the episode.

( Here suddenly, the VA for Bobby Margo stops talking and acting like Bobby and “converts” into Kenta Miyake, the voice actor. ).

Kenta Miyake: Mister Ohnogi, I want to talk as a professional of this medium. Lets let Bobby sleep for a moment, because I want to congratulate you and Mr. Kawamori for allowing me to work with such professionals as you. Without your work and your feelings, your discussions and your details, this magical work, this series and this scene would not exist. I saw it today and it made me vibrate from my feet to my head. I was never before so moved. And I talked with my friend Aya Endo and she told me she was very happy. She gave her best as an actress. Seriously, sir… I ask you guys, a strong applause! ( You can hear applause in the booth ).

HO: Thank you, Mr. Miyake. I really appreciate your words. And I hope that the audience has liked it, too.

KM: I read various forums and I saw that the people were very moved, Mr. Ohnogi. I think nobody can say that you did a bad work. The scene is marvellous ( and he goes back to being Bobby ). But okay, enough of confessions and pretty reverences. Time is running out for us and I suppose time has been your foe for all the series. So I will make two direct questions to you: What awaits us in the finale? And will 24 minutes really be enough to resolve this planetary triangle?

HO: The finale will be impressive, because the very director Kawamori wrote the script. We will begin to see it on the screen as soon as the Valkyries take off. You will also see that it will try to make true different dreams he has. You will see. And for reasons of time, we will of course not be able to explain everything. No series ever does. What we can do as writers is to leave enough loose ends so that in the future we can continue to expand Macross and, I hope, reach the 50th anniversary ( laughter ).

B: Fabulous! Many thanks for being with me, and letīs go to dinner together!

HO: Many thanks to you for inviting me. I also want to give thanks enormously to the director and one of my greatest friends: Shouji Kawamori, for inviting me to this dream and to all the fans for watching the series. I hope you stay with us, as the galaxy still has many secrets to reveal. Many thanks.
__________________

Last edited by magnuskn; 2009-03-25 at 14:17. Reason: Translation stuff
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 11:20   Link #1857
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Europe
Age: 29
Tomita-san, Ohnogi-san, Ebata-san

...Kawamori

EDIT. *sends - great job *sniff sniff* through Super Dimensional Network to Magnus*
__________________

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Urei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 11:29   Link #1858
Teletha
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Texas
wow @ Kawamori wanting to reserve the conclusion for himself and not even doing it. Ohnogi can say he didn't define the triangle, but he basically did. You can't have the most memorable scene one episode before the conclusion and expect people not to take it seriously. Kawamori needs to get over his Ranka fanboyism.

Magnus Loved the part about Ebata-san as well.
Teletha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 11:33   Link #1859
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Europe
Age: 29
It's pretty much Ohnogi who directed the most amazing scenes in Frontier and Kawamori the one who screwed them up. Seriously, wish they wouldn't let him in into the studio during the movie production.
__________________

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Urei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 11:38   Link #1860
Teletha
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
It's pretty much Ohnogi who directed the most amazing scenes in Frontier and Kawamori the one who screwed them up. Seriously, wish they wouldn't let him in into the studio during the movie production.
Ohnogi's Macross Frontier, the part I loved, is a Sheryl end. The rest is Kawamori and I can now freely ignore it since it has nothing to do with the part Ohnogi and Ebata did.

Hopefully they do keep him out. Wishful thinking though. But he seems easy to convince. He probably needed a few more episodes to let go of Ranka. I'm even more annoyed with his bullshit polygamy reasoning at the end. He basically hurt all the work people did before him by refusing to conclude it.
Teletha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, romance

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.