AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-06-26, 03:44   Link #101
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: bleeghhh
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisu View Post
Are there other Slice of Life series that have been licensed?
ARIA and Azumanga Daioh, just off the top of my head.
__________________
Risaa is offline  
Old 2007-06-26, 03:55   Link #102
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Ichigo Masimaro (Strawberry Marshmallow) is pure slice of life, quite licensed.

Kamichu! could be considered slice of life with a splash of Shinto.
Licensed.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2007-06-26, 07:29   Link #103
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 33
Maybe in the DVD licensed version will show special features of the anime parodies and references so other viewers would appreciate it or will have a brief background of what the girls are talking about. Other things that might make it popular when licensed is that you cannot resist kawaii characters.
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline  
Old 2007-06-26, 12:23   Link #104
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
If you look at what was done with PaniPoniDash's Region 1 release with the layered subtitle and footnotes that you can turn off or on. L*S is a piece of cake relatively. L*S is not a *shallow* show in terms of references but it isn't any deeper than, say, Animaniacs or PaniPoniDash.

I can probably point out a 100 references in any given Animaniacs skit. Whole episodes can fill several pages of reference notes. Yet people manage to enjoy the show without knowing many of them.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2007-06-26, 21:05   Link #105
robertness
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: A command bunker in an undisclosed location
@Vexx: Funny you mention Animaniacs in this regard. I find that L*S is layered much like the classic Looney Tunes. I would guess that the majority of L*S's audience are in their teens and early twenties. Most of the "old school" anime, Jpop, and dorama refernces are before their time. Yet the writers succeed in working them into the script in an amusing way, much like the Looney Tunes writers worked in sophisticated humor while still engaging kids.

If you don't get every cultural reference (and I miss most of them), the show is still very amusing. Konata's Timotei bit is a great example. The humor pretty well explains itself, but if you happen to have been culturally aware when the Timotei Shampoo ads were running, it's doubly amusing.

I guess the point of this long and dreary post is extensive liner notes in a Region 1 release would be nice, but they're not mandatory. I think L*S would still appeal to an American anime audience based on character, art, and story.
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no fixin' to do." -- Yoda's visit to West Virginia
Thanks to Risaa for the avatar!
robertness is offline  
Old 2007-06-26, 21:42   Link #106
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Agreed. In the Timotei case, I'd never heard of the stuff but it was instantly obviously she was mimicking some shampoo commercial and the remarks from the others made it clear it was from quite a while ago. We also got a clue that her cousin used to have longer hair perhaps. Of course, there's those more recent orgasmic shampoo commercials that seem directly linked by ancestral marketing DNA. That would have made that joke QUITE different (and killed thousands of otaku in a single moment listening to Kona/Aya orgaz out ).

Yeah on Looneytoons. The classic example is a cartoon where Yosemite Sam is beating on a door yelling "Open the door!!!" .... then turns to the audience and says, "You notice I didn't say Richard?"

It had younger folks stumped for ages til some oldster pointed out a popular song of the time: "Open the Door, Richard!" And of course, Foghorn was based off of a fictional character from radio/vaudeville (Senator Cleghorn) who was based off of a southern politician known for his pomposity.
And on and on.. yet people still find Looneytoons quite funny.

Monty Python, of course, cannot be appreciated without complete knowledge of the british political. class stereotypes, and economic systems and players from the early 70s....not
Vexx is offline  
Old 2007-06-26, 22:14   Link #107
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
its especially funny when you get the references, i lol'd hard at the initial d scenes. understanding the references is optional imo, but they are self explanatory usually
__________________
X207 is offline  
Old 2007-06-27, 00:46   Link #108
Crisu
ISML Kaichō
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gulfport, MS
Age: 29
Send a message via Skype™ to Crisu
Are there L*S sub releases that are soft-sub? (i.e. I can turn the subtitles off in the media player and have a raw as a result)
Crisu is offline  
Old 2007-06-28, 09:06   Link #109
shiro83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiroitenshi83 View Post
I have seen and heard a few occasions where the Lucky Star gang is talking about something that stinks...

Does anyone know what they are talking about?
I found out the answer to my own question...

In episode 11 (8:38 to be exact), Tsukasa is talking to Kagami that Sebastian stinks.

Sebastian = Shiraishi Minoru (episode 10 16:57)
shiro83 is offline  
Old 2007-06-28, 09:35   Link #110
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisu View Post
Are there L*S sub releases that are soft-sub? (i.e. I can turn the subtitles off in the media player and have a raw as a result)
EDIT: Incorrect information. JEEB softsubs.

Last edited by Claies; 2007-06-28 at 13:34. Reason: Incorrect info.
Claies is offline  
Old 2007-06-28, 11:49   Link #111
Crisu
ISML Kaichō
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gulfport, MS
Age: 29
Send a message via Skype™ to Crisu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Eien-no-Anime. Pretty high quality stuff, too.
http://a.scarywater.net/ena
Are you sure? I've been downloading around since my post and found that JEEB does softsub (they advertise as so), but you;re right: EnA's .mkv release is in higher resolution. However I can't find the usual option to turn off subs in EnA's version.

I generally find the option via DirectVobSub. Is there another way?
Crisu is offline  
Old 2007-06-28, 13:15   Link #112
chc
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisu View Post
Are you sure? I've been downloading around since my post and found that JEEB does softsub (they advertise as so), but you;re right: EnA's .mkv release is in higher resolution. However I can't find the usual option to turn off subs in EnA's version.

I generally find the option via DirectVobSub. Is there another way?
They're hard-subbed. I wonder if Claies made the common mistake of assuming anything .MKV is softsubbed.

A peek inside the mkv's reveals:
- video avc/h.264
- audio mpeg/Layer3
no subtitles

(I leeched and checked their first and latest (ep11) release only.)
chc is offline  
Old 2007-06-28, 13:34   Link #113
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chc View Post
They're hard-subbed. I wonder if Claies made the common mistake of assuming anything .MKV is softsubbed.

A peek inside the mkv's reveals:
- video avc/h.264
- audio mpeg/Layer3
no subtitles

(I leeched and checked their first and latest (ep11) release only.)
I screwed up. I haven't watched EnA's work for a while...
Claies is offline  
Old 2007-06-28, 21:08   Link #114
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
wat about afk? i usually direct download the subs, no torrents.
__________________
X207 is offline  
Old 2007-06-29, 13:46   Link #115
Crisu
ISML Kaichō
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gulfport, MS
Age: 29
Send a message via Skype™ to Crisu
a.f.k. has been releasing only .avi's (XviD) right?

I believe all .avi's are hard-sub .. because .avi doesn't support .. all those .. uh.. multi-layer type things. It's just .. well.. Audio and Video Interleaved together.

(I may be completely wrong...)
Crisu is offline  
Old 2007-06-29, 21:24   Link #116
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisu View Post
a.f.k. has been releasing only .avi's (XviD) right?

I believe all .avi's are hard-sub .. because .avi doesn't support .. all those .. uh.. multi-layer type things. It's just .. well.. Audio and Video Interleaved together.

(I may be completely wrong...)
that is correct, i hav 2 by lucky channel- mkv wich i beleive are soft sub?

wats haali media splitter and also wats directvobsub? they show up when i play the mkv files
__________________
X207 is offline  
Old 2007-06-29, 23:03   Link #117
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
You'd probably have better luck asking those questions in the Playback or Tech Support forums.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2007-06-30, 06:00   Link #118
Goron
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I have a few questions

Q: In episode 10(?) Konata and kagami was playing videogames , konata said lets take a break. And then it was some kinda commercial that said "this is it " and konata made a strange comment i dont really know what it means but kagami seemed to be bothered by it , something about 2ch ? whats that ?

Q: I think it was in episode 3 , it was the twins birthday and they where eating cake. Suddenly Konata acts strange and stares at kagami. I guess this is some reference from another anime but im too lazy to look through the list and i really dont know what i am looking for. could someone please explain that ?

Q: Episode 11 ! Konata talks about her cousin thats physically weak, that leads in to a discussion about weak physically people have a bad soul ? What about paralyzed or disabled people ? are they evil just beacuse of their sickness, or did i misunderstand the whole thing.

And then i was thinking about that smell thing that they do in almost every ep. Like Vexx said its a running gag, is there any other jokes like this that continues through the series?

Sry for all the qs but im a bit nooby on these boards ^_^
Goron is offline  
Old 2007-06-30, 08:57   Link #119
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goron View Post
Q: In episode 10(?) Konata and kagami was playing videogames , konata said lets take a break. And then it was some kinda commercial that said "this is it " and konata made a strange comment i dont really know what it means but kagami seemed to be bothered by it , something about 2ch ? whats that ?
2ch (2channel) is Japan's largest internet bulletin board, with more than 600 active sections, spawning memes almost monthly over the internet and real life mass media. When Konata flipped the channel, the man in the TV yelled "Kitaaaaa-----" (キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!!), which is 2ch-leet-speak for "It came!!!". It's pretty much a huge exclamation mark, like "OMG!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goron View Post
Q: I think it was in episode 3 , it was the twins birthday and they where eating cake. Suddenly Konata acts strange and stares at kagami. I guess this is some reference from another anime but im too lazy to look through the list and i really dont know what i am looking for. could someone please explain that ?
It was Crayon Shin-chan. Personally, I don't see what "charm" Konata saw in Kagami, but the accent she pretended with resembled Shin-chan's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goron View Post
Q: Episode 11 ! Konata talks about her cousin thats physically weak, that leads in to a discussion about weak physically people have a bad soul ? What about paralyzed or disabled people ? are they evil just beacuse of their sickness, or did i misunderstand the whole thing.
I'll let someone else answer...I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goron View Post
And then i was thinking about that smell thing that they do in almost every ep. Like Vexx said its a running gag, is there any other jokes like this that continues through the series?
The way this is going, Miyuki's long knowledge rants may enter running gag territory. The girls also adopted calling Shirashi "Sebastian" in the show after Konata started it in her rage of Maria-sama and schoolgirl yuri. It eventually spread to Lucky Channel where Akira mocks him with it.
Claies is offline  
Old 2007-06-30, 09:59   Link #120
Goron
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
haha wow thanks for the reply ^^ I like how "Sebastian " is being mocked by the others , but i think the lucky channel has dropped a little bit in quality.

And shin-chan ? From witch anime ? I havent seen it myself so i would like to know
Goron is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.