AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: how much are you willing to give up for the society
option 1 none (option explanations on the 1st post) 9 21.95%
option 2 reasonable amount of wealth (less) 13 31.71%
option 3 large amount of wealth (more) 7 17.07%
option 4 certain security issues 3 7.32%
option 5 certain rights 4 9.76%
option 6 life and ... 2 4.88%
option 7 other.. 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-02-16, 11:58   Link #21
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

I chose Option 3.

Option 1 - I suppose I owe it to society to contribute something.

Option 2 - A viable option. Charity is good.

Option 3
- My inherent lack of greed is probably the best trait in my very short list of good traits. This is all assuming of course, that society would really use my money for the better.

Option 4 - Another viable option, but there are too many "what ifs" to work through here. Just because a crook can't carry a gun doesn't mean he can't butcher you and your family while you are left helpless with no firearms. However, stricter gun control is still a must in my opinion. As for the environment part, yes I would give up certain possessions in lieu of a cleaner alternative.

Option 5 - No. Absolutely not. I am not willing to give up any rights for a society that is willing to take them from me.

Option 6 - I don't see how giving up my life would help society as a whole. I would trade my life for the lives of others under certain circumstances, but I wouldn't do it in "society's best interests".
Old 2008-02-16, 12:54   Link #22
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I think this is an interesting topic, but I can't answer the poll. Too much depends on context and circumstance, and individualism and collectivism are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

I live day to day in "Option 3". I put large portions of my money (not to mention time that could be used earning money) into good causes, to the point that I skirt quite close to the negative end of the scale on my bank account. To say that it changes my financial status is accurate. The reason I seek further wealth is so that I can give more, with a slightly lesser priority on being able to give while also being more comfortable, financially.

I wouldn't be willing to give the same, though, if the results were not worth it, or if the results could be achieved WITHOUT such sacrifice (whether through greater efficiency or by different means).

I am willing to give up security, to a tremendous degree (although I do NOT see the point of giving up the security measures you mentioned). I am not willing to give up liberty beyond the smallest of degrees.

I am willing to give up my life for the sake of others, so long as it is not in vain.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 16:30   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As I posted before "option 3" is the zone I tend to lurk with ... but I also find myself willing to concede more if it will produce positive societal results as I get older.

Selfishness versus altruism. .... altruism has more successful long term gameplay.
Old 2008-02-17, 03:38   Link #24
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
Option 2 - whenever possible I donate money to the small church near my house.
Though the amount I give is in no way going to affect my financial status.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2008-02-17 at 06:46.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote