AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-01-26, 09:57   Link #101
kokolores
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
and what exactly does "Ubel Blatt" mean? Well, it sounds cool at least .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlucid View Post
According to various sources the native German translation of the word means something like 'Bad Leaf'. But one of the more literal translations could be 'Evil Blade'.

So the title the author was probably going for was 'Evil Blade'. Just to most native speakers the phrase usually intends something different.
Yeah, the author and his editor were obviously both morons to have translated the title from english into german that way. All they had to do was look in that English-German dictionary properly.
kokolores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 16:29   Link #102
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SLB, Slovenia
Age: 30
Why the name calling? You're just making yourself look bad.
Every language out there has so many grammatically wrong names in nonstop use that it's hypocritical to criticize others.
__________________
"I cannot be caged! I cannot be controlled! Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools!"

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!
Majek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 16:29   Link #103
Toreno
すごい!
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Germany
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlucid View Post
So the title the author was probably going for was 'Evil Blade'. Just to most native speakers the phrase usually intends something different.
Uh... then the correct translation would be "Böse Klinge" I guess...
Toreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 16:34   Link #104
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
"Böse Klinge"? Then Rule of Cool says you guys are wrong. You'll just have to modify your language so "Übel Blatt" does mean "Evil Blade".
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 16:36   Link #105
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SLB, Slovenia
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
"Böse Klinge"? Then Rule of Cool says you guys are wrong. You'll just have to modify your language so "Übel Blatt" does mean "Evil Blade".
It already means that. It' just a poor choice of words. Like "Sinfull shank" or something
__________________
"I cannot be caged! I cannot be controlled! Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools!"

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!
Majek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 17:08   Link #106
Toreno
すごい!
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Germany
Age: 23
Again, doesn't sound cool at all in German. xD
Toreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 20:56   Link #107
TheAlucid
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Lol, yeah, but it's not like the Author can change the name now. Series has been going on too long, wonder how he came up with it in the first place.

On a side note about the events at the end of volume eight.

Spoiler:
TheAlucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 15:30   Link #108
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
"Böse Klinge"? Then Rule of Cool says you guys are wrong. You'll just have to modify your language so "Übel Blatt" does mean "Evil Blade".
The name makes me sick.
Gimme the address and I will send a message to the author.
__________________
Hs Vi Germania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 18:00   Link #109
kokolores
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majek View Post
Why the name calling? You're just making yourself look bad.
Every language out there has so many grammatically wrong names in nonstop use that it's hypocritical to criticize others.
The difference to the spelling errors and grammatical errors I make is that I'm not publishing them. It just looks unprofessional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majek View Post
It already means that. It' just a poor choice of words. Like "Sinfull shank" or something
No, it doesn't. Blatt doesn't mean blade when talking about swords or other cutting metal edges. It's not a poor choice of words it's plain wrong.
kokolores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 18:21   Link #110
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SLB, Slovenia
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hs Vi Germania View Post
The name makes me sick.
Gimme the address and I will send a message to the author.
Your won nickname makes people sick too. :P

and suit yourself kokolores. But germans have bastardized names for a millennia and more and no one is bothered that much.
__________________
"I cannot be caged! I cannot be controlled! Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools!"

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!
Majek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 14:08   Link #111
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
If you think like that.......
__________________
Hs Vi Germania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 18:03   Link #112
Toreno
すごい!
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Germany
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majek View Post
and suit yourself kokolores. But germans have bastardized names for a millennia and more and no one is bothered that much.
What the hell are you talking about?

There's a difference between this and totally messed up grammar...
Toreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 03:39   Link #113
Samanosuke
Genma Killer
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
just wondering...
where was it said that..."Übel Blatt" was in german ?
__________________
Samanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 08:25   Link #114
Toreno
すごい!
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Germany
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanosuke View Post
just wondering...
where was it said that..."Übel Blatt" was in german ?
Only German has the umlauts ä, ö and ü (and ß).
Toreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 09:33   Link #115
Samanosuke
Genma Killer
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreno View Post
Only German has the umlauts ä, ö and ü (and ß).
alright my bad , I'll rephrase :
Where was it said that the author was actually taking a language that exist to name the title and just didn't invent his own ?

Also , hum , according to my 2 minutes google search other language (such as Lithuanian ) make uses of the ä, ö , ü and even ß but that's beside the point.

erh , what i'm trying to get at is that if it really irritates you guys when you read the title because it's bad grammar or whatever , just tell yourself that it isn't german and some other language you never heard about , which somehow Coincidently look and sound like german.
__________________
Samanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 09:44   Link #116
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SLB, Slovenia
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreno View Post
What the hell are you talking about?

There's a difference between this and totally messed up grammar...
History of my land. It just about as relevant as your( as in german speaking populace) bickering about the title and it's supposed meaning.
__________________
"I cannot be caged! I cannot be controlled! Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools!"

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!
Majek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 10:03   Link #117
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanosuke View Post

Also , hum , according to my 2 minutes google search other language (such as Lithuanian ) make uses of the ä, ö , ü and even ß but that's beside the point.
That Lithuanian (whatever O.ô) has been influenced of the Germans as long as it was sieged.^^

And it is definetely a German title... or should to be one.^^
But it doesn't matter now.^^



Quote:
Originally Posted by Majek
History of my land. It just about as relevant as your( as in german speaking populace) bickering about the title and it's supposed meaning.
I just wanted to say that the grammar don't make sense.
I have no intention of discussing it any longer.
__________________
Hs Vi Germania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 19:45   Link #118
kokolores
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majek View Post
Your won nickname makes people sick too. :P

and suit yourself kokolores. But germans have bastardized names for a millennia and more and no one is bothered that much.
We have bastardized names? I don't really get what you are talking about. If you mean to say that we have adopted words from other languages and changed their spelling to suit the german language, of course we did. Just like almost every other language german got influenced by quite a number of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanosuke View Post
alright my bad , I'll rephrase :
Where was it said that the author was actually taking a language that exist to name the title and just didn't invent his own ?

Also , hum , according to my 2 minutes google search other language (such as Lithuanian ) make uses of the ä, ö , ü and even ß but that's beside the point.

erh , what i'm trying to get at is that if it really irritates you guys when you read the title because it's bad grammar or whatever , just tell yourself that it isn't german and some other language you never heard about , which somehow Coincidently look and sound like german.
Sorry, but I'm not that good at lying to myself.
It's not as if it was a big deal or anything, but that doesn't change that it's rather stupid of them to make such a mistake, when it could have been so easily avoided.
kokolores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 01:58   Link #119
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: T dot Ohhhhhh
Age: 27
Question...up to what chapters have been released?
__________________
"Hey Joe Rogan, there is something you don't know about me...i smoke rocks!!!"
Tyrone Biggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 13:10   Link #120
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
Question...up to what chapters have been released?
44 in the english rls

vol9 will be rls in japan on 3/25/2009 but no raws till around late april or early may.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.