AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Air

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-04-30, 21:10   Link #81
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post
High ones, I liked what ADV did with 2 of my all time favorite s-Kei and Yuri-also known as the Dirty Pair, they did an excellent dub on Chrono Crusade and a lot of other stuff-but lately it seems like they went straight down the crapper-and I prefer dubs to subs.
Dubs are often outsourced
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 22:22   Link #82
frad113
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Send a message via AIM to frad113
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Dubs are often outsourced
So that's why they speak with Indian accents...
__________________
баня, водка, гармонь и лосось.
amenochi.com
frad113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 22:33   Link #83
Potatochobit
Certified Organic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I think gao would be closer to roar or rawr or waoh in english.
__________________
*Retired*
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 22:35   Link #84
BANANABANANA
got 米?
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kanaduuhhhh
Age: 22
OHMYGEWDNESS

i don't know if i consider this good news or not. but i think i'll check it out anyway.
__________________

upcoming OELVN
BANANABANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 22:38   Link #85
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Surrounded by Mistery (cool isn't?)
OMG I cant believe this is truth. To think I though dramas would never draw attention from USA, this might be the beggining of a change in the anime culture... (Or maybe just another failure)
__________________
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 22:47   Link #86
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by frad113 View Post
So that's why they speak with Indian accents...
I knew I should have finished that sentence

Actually, I think ADV used to do their dubbing in-house. Whether or not that's still the case, I'm not sure.
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 23:08   Link #87
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
As long as they leave the original language track be ... they can use R2-D2 for the dub for all I care.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 00:53   Link #88
frad113
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Send a message via AIM to frad113
Hmm, people who prefer subtitles over dubs ("dub-haters", if you will), if given a choice between using subtitles and possessing enough Japanese knowledge (instantaneous Matrix-style, over time, whichever way), thus not having to not use subtitles; which would they choose? I'm willing to bet it's the second one.
__________________
баня, водка, гармонь и лосось.
amenochi.com
frad113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 05:59   Link #89
darkchibi07
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I knew I should have finished that sentence

Actually, I think ADV used to do their dubbing in-house. Whether or not that's still the case, I'm not sure.
Used to? ADV still and always has done their dubs in-house. There are a few exceptions like the second season of Ah! My Goddess where they decided to keep the dub continuity of the first season by sending it to NYAV Post.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 09:15   Link #90
Minoto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Age: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by frad113 View Post
Hmm, people who prefer subtitles over dubs ("dub-haters", if you will), if given a choice between using subtitles and possessing enough Japanese knowledge (instantaneous Matrix-style, over time, whichever way), thus not having to not use subtitles; which would they choose? I'm willing to bet it's the second one.
I think "dub-haters" is a bit strong...yes, some people raise subs vs. dubs to the level of a religious argument, but for most, simply having a preference for one doesn't imply a hatred of the other. Besides -- given the choice of "Watch this dubbed in your native language, watch this subtitled in your native language, or take this pill and instantly understand the original version," wouldn't pretty much every anime fan choose the third option? The first two options really only exist because the third one doesn't, in reality, and most people don't have the time or money to spend several years learning Japanese.
__________________
観鈴の友達
Minoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 01:15   Link #91
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Washington
Age: 25
Eww, they are gonna release something on that failed blu-ray format? Why? Just use dvds. :/
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 02:43   Link #92
Setsuna Asuka
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Jersey<_<
Age: 27
Huh? where'd you hear that??
__________________
Signature Removed By Administrator (NightWish) - Your signature was 187419 Bytes too big by our rules, please make it smaller.
Setsuna Asuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 02:58   Link #93
Potatochobit
Certified Organic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
well, air is a special work of art.

i hate the buddhism influences in the show, ESPECIALLY
Spoiler:


but on the other hand, this is a WORK of ART.

from the first time i saw screen prints to even up to todays standards i cannot think of any show that has ever stunned me visually in a similar way.

if any show was ever meant to be done in ridiculously over exaggerated, crazy DPI on super huge wide screen TV formats, this is the one.

blue ray or HD i dont care but if either format releases titles like this, they will have large support in the new media from me



i would also love to have mahoraba heartful days and tsukuyomi moonphase and angelic layer on blu ray
__________________
*Retired*
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 08:51   Link #94
Minoto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Age: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
i hate the buddhism influences in the show, ESPECIALLY
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
__________________
観鈴の友達
Minoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 13:50   Link #95
Rengemaru
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garden...
Age: 29
minoto, fatpianoboy and andiyar: in general, we all agreed on the point that we don't want ADV to ruin this. And that's what I'm pissed about it, most licensed stuff got ruined (or so I've seen from my personal experience).

But the sweet part of this bittersweet license is the merchandised stuff that might be available.

And I have a feeling Kanon 2006 might be next.
__________________
Grains of Knowledge:
Life requires a high demand of the mighty M skill.
Rengemaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 07:17   Link #96
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ Rengemaru

Indeed so. Hopefully some Air merchandise will crossover, I'm always willing to add a few more things to my collection of goodies. And as for Kanon... well, fingers are indeed crossed.


-Andiyar
__________________
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"
andiyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 08:40   Link #97
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengemaru View Post
minoto, fatpianoboy and andiyar: in general, we all agreed on the point that we don't want ADV to ruin this. And that's what I'm pissed about it, most licensed stuff got ruined (or so I've seen from my personal experience).
"Or so" you've seen from your experience? Even if you speak from personal experience, it's, I'm afraid, very limited then. Licensing companies have in the past made errors when handling releases, but each and every one of those got shot down by the fan community. And not just by the community of fansub-only-watchers that rejoices everytime a company fucks up, but by fans who buy their releases as well. Contrary to popular belief, DVD watchers and English-dub watchers don't settle for bad translation quality, or bad voice-acting performances. They try to point them out when errors do occur. Unfortunately, praise is handed out much more sparsely than negative critiques, and that's why you mostly hear negative opinions about DVD distribution companies. It's just funny, because I see fansubbers make mistakes every day, and some people whine, but at the end of the day, when someone with professional translators licences those titles, those fansubbers get to be the heroes, and the licensing companies the ebul henchmen of TEH Corp, who cross our fan-cultivated soil with their foul feet.

Honestly, I'm getting sick of this repetitive idiocy. Each and every time a popular hardcore property makes it over to the U.S., be sure that unjust whiners will start their own act even before seeing the officially translated release. When talking about licencing of hardcore titles, many fans feel vexed or even sad because they assume there's no market for their beloved titles overseas, but when official distribution outlets get the idea that "hay, there is a market for these titles, albeit niché, but we can still turn up with some profit", fans have a change of heart, and so they refuse to hear anything about professional translations, some out of ignorance, but many out of hypocrisy. The negative notions about official DVDs apparently stem from the last century still, when errors were much more common, but to criticize real English translations just because they aren't sticking close to the fansubbing--"literal"--style is in my opinion nothing short of being ridiculous. What's more, some DVD distribution companies, one of those is ADV Films, make cultural and translation notes too, just like fansubbers.

I don't own many R1 DVDs (I buy other fan-related merchandise), but I'm getting the AIR R1s too (I have owned the R2s in the past), and I enjoyed the translations of the other R1 discs that I've seen. AIR is one of my favourite anime titles. I think this year will be perfect for me to look deeper into the R1 DVD world. Obscure titles like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Higurashi no Naku Koroni and Zero no Tsukaima got their licences. I'm glad, the market's catalogue is finally changing for the better.
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 13:51   Link #98
Rengemaru
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garden...
Age: 29
Oh man this is getting endless lol, anyway....

Dear Toua-san, although I'm not in R1 and it has nothing to do with me but I hate seeing my favorite anime show being labeled licensed. Simply because I'm not satisfied with the level of translation I found in these distributed DVD (and this point has already been discussed so no body should bring it out again) and that is my point of preference. You too have your own point of preference which happens to be opposite to mine. And as we both know, no one has any right to force his personal preference on someone else. And I'm certainly not trying to force my preference on you guys. If you do find any signs of that in my previous posts (and I hope not) then blame it on either not focusing when writing (keep in mind English is my 2nd language & JP is making it way as 3rd) or on the fact that I'm very used to scientific english rather than normal english (yes I am a science student). The reason behind my posts in here is showing my dissatisfaction about having an anime I'm totally in love with being licensed and possibly being tainted with bad translation (again no body should bring this point up again, or Sora will pick your eye, just like Haruka). So if you agree with my openion on this matter then welcome to the club. If you disagree than you could either ignore my posts (highly recommended) or you could express your own openion about this matter in a neat way (just like Andiyar's post, something nice and polite).

Ok who's next? (seems like everyone here are siding with ADV, were my posts that provocative? )
__________________
Grains of Knowledge:
Life requires a high demand of the mighty M skill.
Rengemaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 22:10   Link #99
Minoto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Age: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengemaru View Post
The reason behind my posts in here is showing my dissatisfaction about having an anime I'm totally in love with being licensed and possibly being tainted with bad translation (again no body should bring this point up again, or Sora will pick your eye, just like Haruka). So if you agree with my openion on this matter then welcome to the club. If you disagree than you could either ignore my posts (highly recommended) or you could express your own openion about this matter in a neat way (just like Andiyar's post, something nice and polite).

Ok who's next? (seems like everyone here are siding with ADV, were my posts that provocative? )
Well, as you noted earlier, we're all in agreement that we don't want to see AIR ruined. Where we differ is that you seem certain that licensed = ruined, because ADV's translation will be less than perfect, whereas I and probably most other people here think that licensed = great opportunity for more people to experience AIR, even if it's not perfect. ADV has to be forking over a huge amount of money for this license, and should be strongly motivated to do their best with it, since the alternative is quite possibly bankruptcy. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there's more reason to be hopeful than there is to be pessimistic.

Yes, the dubbed dialogue will probably be rather loosely translated and adapted more to the structure of English, but that doesn't affect me personally because I'll probably never listen to it. And if it draws in new fans who wouldn't have watched the series subbed, but are now able to enjoy it in English, I don't see that as a bad thing. Like I said before -- so long as they also give me the Japanese audio track and good subtitles, I'll be happy. Perfect subtitles would be nice, but I'm maintaining my position that a perfect translation of a work of this magnitude is simply not possible, so I'm willing to settle for a little less.

After all, isn't that what all of us, native Japanese speakers excepted, have been doing up until now? I've seen three different groups' versions of AIR, and each one has had its flaws. Is AIR somehow tainted by that? Of course not. So, assuming that ADV's version will be at least the same quality as those fansubs, what makes it suddenly damaging in a way that they were not?

Anyway...I hope this is already clear, but just to avoid any chance of misunderstanding -- I'm not denying you the right to have your own, different opinion, and I'm not saying you're wrong for having that opinion. I'm just writing this to put my own opinion up next to yours for the purpose of comparison and discussion, and to try to answer your question of why so many people are taking the other side...it's not that we're necessarily pro-ADV, but I think most of us are pro-licensing, because it opens the door to a wider audience, while you're anti-licensing because you're certain the show will get butchered. Personally, I have a feeling that if that happens, the curses laid on all responsible at ADV will last much, MUCH longer than 1000 years, so I'm expecting something good from them.
__________________
観鈴の友達
Minoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 22:35   Link #100
Wuya
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Question

...if ADV does go "bankrupt" under the scenerio of a "failed investment" in AIR... what would happen? Would ADV merge? get bought out? ...disappear?
Wuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.