AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-12-29, 08:56   Link #401
Anima
Oh! You mean we don't?
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Only the last two episodes went very far from the manga. The episodes before it had to prepare for the final one but it didn't go too far IMO; Not completly like the manga but can be easily overlooked.

Personally, I hope for a second season, but I don't know how are they gonna fix the last reunion part.

The manga started in 2001, and we got the anime in 2007, so you could say a second season is due after 6 years ;P
Anima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 15:21   Link #402
the last shinigami
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
What does Yoki mean?
Thanks for answer.
the last shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 15:34   Link #403
Devilz911
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Demon energy, or energy emitted from Yoma.
Devilz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 15:43   Link #404
Voracious Reader
異常読欲者
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by the last shinigami View Post
What does Yoki mean?
Thanks for answer.
Normally (in real life) it means a spooky atmosphere, or some sort of perilous supernatural presence, but in the context of anime and manga it usually refers to the life energy of 妖魔 youma / 妖怪 youkai, sort of analogous to the 気 ki of normal people, and like ki in many martial art stories it can be felt in at distance by sensitive people and can be used for various effect like making the user stronger or faster.

妖気 youki is a Sino-Japanese word i. e. composed of two words that ultimately have been borrowed form Chinese many centuries ago, 妖 you (yao) can mean bewitching, evil or demon (and in Japanese also suspicious), 気 ki (qi/chi) is more or less untranslatable (and thus frequently not translated at all), live energy comes close in some contexts but is in the end inadequate.
Voracious Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 11:17   Link #405
Ibuki
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA - Houston
I've just started watching this series. On Ep 5 atm. How much of the manga does the anime cover? Or is it vastly different from the manga?
Ibuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 18:34   Link #406
Anima
Oh! You mean we don't?
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
The anime stays faithful to the manga up to episode 20 or so then it starts to diverse slowly until it goes completely to a new plot in the last couple of episodes.

The anime covered up to volume 11 of the manga according to Wikipedia.
Anima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 19:11   Link #407
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuki View Post
I've just started watching this series. On Ep 5 atm. How much of the manga does the anime cover? Or is it vastly different from the manga?
I've answered this before and I'll answer this again. The thread devoted to answering this question is here.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 23:05   Link #408
Jay1672
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
I've answered this before and I'll answer this again. The thread devoted to answering this question is here.
Well, I am new to this thread and I am sorry if I am asking questions that were asked before.
Anyway, I have a few questions.
First, Claymore rocks!! I read manga and watched anime in 5 days because it is sooo interesting.
I have not experience this much thrill in manga except Naruto, DBZ, and Bleach.
Followings are my question:
1. Why do people compare Claymore to Berserk? I read Berserk little and I didn't like it. It just seem not likable?
2. I know the manga release every month because the creator of Claymore has to do everything by himself. I appreciate his effort b/c his effort makes Claymore better. However, couldn't Claymore be released every week like Naruto? I mean if Claymore is released every week, I think more people would read it. Has there ever been a case where monthly manga became weekly manga? Maybe if we all write to Shonen company?
3. Is Claymore manga & Anime popular in Japan and in the U.S. I know it is but when I go to Youtube and watch Claymore, there are only few comments and view #s. Makes me feel kinda alone? I would appreciate it if someone can give me some sort of data as to its viewer numbers!!
4. Did Claymore made financial success?
5. if Claymore is popular and financial success, that means Claymore will get licensed and aired in Adultswim right? or is it too violent or sexually suggestive to be air in N.A.? But other animes air in N.A. seem violent, if not more, than Claymore. If air in North America, I think Claymore would be as popular as Naruto (maybe)
6. IF there will be live movie, who would be Teresa in ur opinion?
And I want to deny it but Claymore will not have 2nd season. I mean, come on, Berserk anime finished horribly too and its ending was because they had to rush it like Claymore. I believe they didn't make 2nd season of Berserk (maybe I am wrong? "shrug")
I know I wrote a lot. I am sorry to ask too many questions but I am literally burning with question!! Thank you for ur answers!

Last edited by Jay1672; 2008-01-07 at 00:08.
Jay1672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 03:22   Link #409
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1672 View Post
1. Why do people compare Claymore to Berserk? I read Berserk little and I didn't like it. It just seem not likable?
Because both are dark in tone and the main character uses a big sword. Pretty superficial reasons actually, but those are the reasons. If you disagree, fine. I disagree also, but this is not the right place to go into a longer comparison of Berserk and Claymore.

Quote:
2. I know the manga release every month because the creator of Claymore has to do everything by himself. I appreciate his effort b/c his effort makes Claymore better. However, couldn't Claymore be released every week like Naruto? I mean if Claymore is released every week, I think more people would read it. Has there ever been a case where monthly manga became weekly manga? Maybe if we all write to Shonen company?
Extremely unlikely. He just doesn't have enough time unless he completely changes the way he writes the book and that would require a drop in quality.

Quote:
4. Did Claymore made financial success?
If the manga wasn't successful they wouldn't have made an anime, but the anime won't really become a money maker until they sell a lot of DVDs.

Quote:
5. if Claymore is popular and financial success, that means Claymore will get licensed and aired in Adultswim right? or is it too violent or sexually suggestive to be air in N.A.? But other animes air in N.A. seem violent, if not more, than Claymore. If air in North America, I think Claymore would be as popular as Naruto (maybe)
This is a statement, not a question. It's all possible, but nothing you say is certain, so it doesn't belong in this thread.

Quote:
6. IF there will be live movie, who would be Teresa in ur opinion?
This question is speculation and thus doesn't belong in the Q&A thread.

Quote:
And I want to deny it but Claymore will not have 2nd season. I mean, come on, Berserk anime finished horribly too and its ending was because they had to rush it like Claymore. I believe they didn't make 2nd season of Berserk (maybe I am wrong? "shrug")
Those are completely different situations. The ending of Berserk was faithful to the manga while the ending of Claymore had almost nothing to do with the manga. The ending of Berserk was not rushed or original like the ending of Claymore was. This is one more case where it is misleading to compare Berserk and Claymore. (Berserk ended badly simply because that was an awkward place to end the story. Another couple of chapters would have made for a better ending.)
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2008-01-07 at 16:36. Reason: typo
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 05:51   Link #410
Anima
Oh! You mean we don't?
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Because both are dark in tone and the main character uses a big sword. Pretty superficial reasons actually, but those are the reasons. If you disagree, fine. I disagree also, but this is not the right place to go into a longer comparison of Bleach and Claymore.
Eh? He said Berserk not Bleach but anyway both protagonists fit.
Anima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 16:37   Link #411
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceSmasher View Post
Eh? He said Berserk not Bleach but anyway both protagonists fit.
Typo.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 23:04   Link #412
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Instead of deleting posts from threads that are inappropriate would it be possible to move discussions to correct threads? That way the conversation can go on and we don't have to retrace our steps from ground zero.

We lost a bunch of discussion from the Priscilla Isley thread because we mentioned Teresa. It was even discussed in the thread about expanding the relationship discussions and no one had any objections. It is difficult to talk about Priscilla without mentioning Teresa because the current Priscilla was created because of her interaction with Teresa. A lot of the screen time we have seen with Priscilla was WITH Teresa. Is there any way to retrieve deleted posts?
__________________
Tests for my graphic novel -> http://dragonfury0.deviantart.com/ <-
chibamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 23:22   Link #413
Valduran
Riful For President
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Age: 28
Perhaps these would be better off in an private message or something, but...

I second Chiba's request.

Deleting posts because they aren't EXACTLY related to the title of the topic is heavy handed and somewhat rude, especially considering this is a forum where there are a limited amount of threads. If no one objects to what is being posted, the conversation continues on in a intelligent and civil manner, and doesn't completely leave the topic, then why is there a need for it to be deleted? If it destroys a discussion and ruins the enjoyment of the posters, what is the point of enforcing a rule to that extreme?

If you can't do what Chiba asks, then please use a little more discretion!
Valduran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 23:59   Link #414
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
We lost a bunch of discussion from the Priscilla Isley thread because we mentioned Teresa. It was even discussed in the thread about expanding the relationship discussions and no one had any objections. It is difficult to talk about Priscilla without mentioning Teresa because the current Priscilla was created because of her interaction with Teresa. A lot of the screen time we have seen with Priscilla was WITH Teresa. Is there any way to retrieve deleted posts?
It wasn't because Theresa was mentioned. They were deleted because it was the same old "Theresa vs Priscilla - Who is really stronger?" argument that has been kicked around forever. That has nothing to do with the relationship between Priscilla and Isley at all, and it is annoying. I won't save those posts since the argument is everywhere already. Nothing new was said.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 00:10   Link #415
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Tempest put up some pretty interesting new stuff (at least to me ), especially about how Priscilla would normally be the main character of any other shonen manga except she got pulled to the dark side. It really made me think. Maybe that too was just the same information again that I hadn't seen before. I don't remember us talking about who was stronger but I can't be sure. I was particularly interested in peoples ideas about Priscilla's development since her awakening and how her battle with Teresa shaped her mentally by collapsing her world view. It really was the inciting incident for the rest of Priscilla's life.

Can the posts be retrieved and put into the Manga thread? If not could we get a warning before deletion so we can move the discussion? Maybe even a "Posts soon to be deleted because you guys are off topic" thread where we can salvage things we find interesting? We can't make threads, and some of the more appropriate threads are rather dead for conversation.
__________________
Tests for my graphic novel -> http://dragonfury0.deviantart.com/ <-
chibamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 00:39   Link #416
Valduran
Riful For President
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
It wasn't because Theresa was mentioned. They were deleted because it was the same old "Theresa vs Priscilla - Who is really stronger?" argument that has been kicked around forever. That has nothing to do with the relationship between Priscilla and Isley at all, and it is annoying. I won't save those posts since the argument is everywhere already. Nothing new was said.
Ugggh...unless someone complains about it, you shouldn't be judging what is or isn't annoying. Almost everything I was seeing fresh, intelligent and interesting, and very little of it (if any!!) was related to "Who is stronger?". Last I checked the conversation was mainly about Priscilla's mental condition and speculation on her future, with a few small diversions into the realm of why Priscilla is hated.

I request that you go back and reread the posts you deleted, my memory isn't perfect, but if "Teresa vs Priscilla - Who is really stronger?" is what we've been talking about all along then maybe I need to have my head examined

No disrespect intended...I...just get a little frustrated when I see moderators deleting indiscriminately.

(You can delete this post for being off-topic, but make an exception and read before deleting please! )
Valduran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 00:59   Link #417
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valduran View Post
I request that you go back and reread the posts you deleted, my memory isn't perfect, but if "Teresa vs Priscilla - Who is really stronger?" is what we've been talking about all along then maybe I need to have my head examined
Re-read as you suggested. There was more to those posts and I may have over-reacted so I restored them, but please lets not turn the Priscilla-Isley Relationship thread into yet another iteration of "Priscilla vs Theresa Redux."

If you want to reply to me, please do it in the other thread.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 22:20   Link #418
cookiekid16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Question Miria

What color is her hair......?

In the Manga the artist colored it in pure platinum blonde, but in the anime isn't it more of a honey/golden blonde? ....what color is it and whats the reason behind the darker color in the anime? was there ever a given reason?

I thought to retain hair color was a sign of weakness but she was listed as a single digit so clearly it had nothing to do with it?

Anyone know the answer?
cookiekid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 22:35   Link #419
Valduran
Riful For President
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Age: 28
The anime was probably taking liberties. I'd guess Miria has the same pale blond hair they all have. Maybe a little bit darker though...
Valduran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 01:36   Link #420
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1672 View Post
Well, I am new to this thread and I am sorry if I am asking questions that were asked before.
Anyway, I have a few questions.
First, Claymore rocks!! I read manga and watched anime in 5 days because it is sooo interesting.
I have not experience this much thrill in manga except Naruto, DBZ, and Bleach.
Followings are my question:
1. Why do people compare Claymore to Berserk? I read Berserk little and I didn't like it. It just seem not likable?
2. I know the manga release every month because the creator of Claymore has to do everything by himself. I appreciate his effort b/c his effort makes Claymore better. However, couldn't Claymore be released every week like Naruto? I mean if Claymore is released every week, I think more people would read it. Has there ever been a case where monthly manga became weekly manga? Maybe if we all write to Shonen company?
3. Is Claymore manga & Anime popular in Japan and in the U.S. I know it is but when I go to Youtube and watch Claymore, there are only few comments and view #s. Makes me feel kinda alone? I would appreciate it if someone can give me some sort of data as to its viewer numbers!!
4. Did Claymore made financial success?
5. if Claymore is popular and financial success, that means Claymore will get licensed and aired in Adultswim right? or is it too violent or sexually suggestive to be air in N.A.? But other animes air in N.A. seem violent, if not more, than Claymore. If air in North America, I think Claymore would be as popular as Naruto (maybe)
6. IF there will be live movie, who would be Teresa in ur opinion?
And I want to deny it but Claymore will not have 2nd season. I mean, come on, Berserk anime finished horribly too and its ending was because they had to rush it like Claymore. I believe they didn't make 2nd season of Berserk (maybe I am wrong? "shrug")
I know I wrote a lot. I am sorry to ask too many questions but I am literally burning with question!! Thank you for ur answers!
Say what thy wilt, but Berserk is superior to Claymore both anime and manga-wise. I often make the comparison between them because they are essentially the same genre and because Berserk handles its story more competently than Claymore ever could or will.

Basically Claymore gets lazy. Both mangas are works in progress and I found the ending of anime Berserk far more satisfying than the ending of anime Claymore.

Let me explain:
Guts is a the Black Swordsman who goes around killing demons for an unspecified reason. They opening chapters don't really tell you why and he seems pretty shallow as a result.

But it makes sense once you learn about Gut's mercenary life, rise to glory with the Band of the Hawk and subsequent betrayal by Griffith. You see the world from the perspective of peasants who see that the world is shit because nobles are basically too busy scheming to care about them. Even nobles have to worry about backstabbing courtiers and each other. Feudalism sucks. Guts suddenly has a very understandable motivation for getting revenge on the demons. You actually see what makes him tick.

Clare gets a pretty awkward start until the Theresa arc rolls around. Even then, I'm not really entirely convinced that she's growing. Seems like most of the people pushing her upwards are doing more growing than she is. Theresa gives up her life. So does Irene presumably. So does Ophelia for that matter. Clare is abused by a supernatural creature, that in all other cases, has only ever eaten people. Oh and got caught in the crossfire of a bandit raid. And got slapped around by Theresa. That's some contrived nonsense. It's not tragic, just really very annoying. It's only half-a-step away from Mary Sue writing. (Which only makes sense because this *is* a shounen anime protagonist.)

Berserk isn't always that much better but at least minor members of the Band of the Hawk had professions and the peasants have problems beyond *just* the supernatural. And in the very least, they do have peasant characters. (The manga later has prostitutes working in a refugee camp that are more than just throwaways.) I'd say that is at least a couple of degrees more complex. When Zodd shows up, he pretty much blows minds, because he's a direct challenge to the established world view. things like him just don't exist. This is a lot more satisfying. The supernatural in Berserk is a mystery. In Claymore, it's only ever a plot device.

Most of the time, the peasants don't matter. The world is nonexistant. It doesn't explain why bandits are attacking this village. Shouldn't this village be protected by a lord? Why isn't it? The show tells us that Yoma inherit memories. They *know* their body is crying. They occassionally have eccentricities and can do clever things and gain an incredible amount of knowledge. So why isn't there more explanation of Yoma? I suspect they're just a shallow plot device to hand-wave DBZ-ish powers.

Well, guess what? You just lost an interesting story there. A chance to create believable characters beyond NPC#3465 who stands around gawking at the latest Claymore walking into town. In fact, it's almost like they don't have lives outside of the Claymores. Nobles don't fight wars. Peasants don't have any aspirations. It doesn't even seem like they *work.* The bandit leader that Theresa kills? What was he really out for? Random bloodshed? Seems to me bandits want an easy life. It kind of runs contrary to your goal to mindlessly slaughter a village that you can simply leech-off season after season. Claymore is just filled with these shortcomings.

I'm not saying that Claymore is the only piece of fiction that commits this sin. But it just does it takes the ball and runs with it well past the goal. It uses these shortcuts flagrantly because it doesn't have a continuity to preserve. The world is composed of quaint villages in isolated stretches of wasteland without any apparent connection to each other. Hell, the North has a town built right on the pass and it's basically just the same town we've seen before except the villagers are in *parkas.* It's not like there'd be any local differences or anything. Berserk at least lets on that countries fight each other over differences in culture, religion, or territory. Peasants also need to eat, so we can at least assume that most of them till the land instead of gossiping in the square of a wealthy middle-class town. You also have to consider that the Organization is viciously bleeding these towns dry of their wealth, and yet we're supposed to believe that they can afford the houses that they have? Where do they get this sort of wealth when they're virtually cut-off? Do they even have a government? Raki is supposed to represent the peasant's side of the story, but he's woefully neglected cardboard cutout. He's shallower than shallow.

Aside from which, Berserk covers a number of themes more competently than Claymore. Griffith does the "monstrous human" thing way better than the Awakened Ones. He's amoral, but you can't really fault him for any of the things he does, likable even. He's a Joe who wants social mobility. Unlike the rest of the nobles or peasants, he just realizes this more brilliantly than they ever could, which is why he attracts so much attention. It's an inexplicable mystery that this peasant can come out and do amazing things. He's the golden child of destiny. He's a better monster than any other human could only *pretend* to be. (After all, if you want your dream you need to step on somebody else's.) This culminates, logically, into his ascendancy to *the* demon lord. One of five foremost lords amongst his peers. Guts is forced to go on struggling for his life in the muck and dirt, as he always has. ("Man is slave to his destiny" theme.)

Not knocking Riful, Dauf or Isley, but they don't get nearly as much screentime. Oh well.

Last edited by Twisted Reality; 2008-01-18 at 02:29.
Twisted Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
claymore, q & a

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.