AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Claymore

Notices

Old 2010-11-27, 02:49   Link #1521
Gooral
Firefly/Serenity fanatic

And I was doing this but on MH some Croatian has told me that his Japanese teacher and a friend who is fluent in Japanese told him the Viz version was right (he has also quoted some Brazilian, French and some other scanlations but I would ignore it since most international scanlators use English translation as a base).

Gernot has also replied to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gernot
妖力解放した時の力の上昇率は
47人中一番と言われていてな

上昇 【じょうしょう】 (n,vs,adj-no) rising; ascending; climbing
率 【りつ】 (n,n-suf) rate; ratio; proportion; percentage

So, something like:
I am told / It is said that the rate of increase of power when I release youriki is the highest / greatest among the 47.
Thank you all for replies.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-27, 16:54   Link #1522
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

I guess all you need is a high school degree in Japanese <-> English to work for Viz.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-27, 19:39   Link #1523
Ouvea

Gooral:

At least in the French translation, it implies that Galatea has the highest youki level of all warriors. That's quite contradictory to the English translation that implies greatest difference from base to maximum.

Word for word translations do not work. The grammar and mechanics of one language are not the same as those of another. If our colleague from MH indeed read something that mirrors the French translation, then his point of view makes makes sense. From what Yagi has depicted in other characters, imho, the English translation makes more sense.

Ouvea
Ouvea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-27, 22:58   Link #1524
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouvea View Post
Gooral:

At least in the French translation, it implies that Galatea has the highest youki level of all warriors. That's quite contradictory to the English translation that implies greatest difference from base to maximum.

Word for word translations do not work. The grammar and mechanics of one language are not the same as those of another. If our colleague from MH indeed read something that mirrors the French translation, then his point of view makes makes sense. From what Yagi has depicted in other characters, imho, the English translation makes more sense.

Ouvea
This is quite frustrating. Any second year Japanese student with a dictionary can tell you what that sentence means - it's not a complicated one (the only slightly tricky bit is the conjugation of the verb, which bears no relevance to this).

妖力解放した時の力の上昇率は
47人中一番と言われていてな

Simple Japanese lesson:
The subject of the sentence is "は" (the last character on the first line).
Everything before that is the subject of the sentence (i.e. "speaking of <subject>, ...").
Next lesson: "の" means "of". The trick here is to read everything backwards for it to make sense. So "A の B" is "B of A".
Now:
上昇率 = rate of increase
力 = power
妖力解放した時 = time when doing a youriki release

Read it for yourself if you don't believe gernot or me.

Just because they're paid to translate stuff does not make them correct. Viz like to dumb things down because they consider their audience to be retarded (why else change Galatea-sama's line of "I envy a brain with such a healthy metabolism" to the whatever horse manure they wrote?).
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-03, 13:10   Link #1525
FormerAbyssalone
Guts=badass

Send a message via Yahoo to FormerAbyssalone
Are there any sites similar 2 CdJapan? I'm just wondering cause I'm trying 2 order Vol 19 of Claymore.
FormerAbyssalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 22:29   Link #1526
rafael1932
claymores pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan5 View Post
We'll find out the answer to that soon enough. Btw, it was not #3, but #10 that used those abilities on her. I suspect Yagi may not have killed her off and is pissing off Miria fans by having her endure all sorts of experimentation and torturous questioning. We will soon have an answer to your question, and possibly as soon as the next chapter. Sometimes I wonder if Yagi appreciates just how ticked off people are about the whole 'death' scene. We know she's missing a lot of blood and a left forearm at minimum when we last saw her. We're also missing the old Miria, you know, the one that existed before she cut down Tabitha.
She can be alive like Irene was.
In terms of story it makes more sense that she is actually dead.
From my point of view, miria made a lot of stuff that her personality would not do.
The reason for yagi kill her are not very clear
From my point of view she would do this:
. rescue or gather her friends
.do some discourse
.go phantom mode like she did when she was double checking the information given by the spie ( rubel) in the org; this way could avoid special warriors like number 10 we never know and the mib are anything except dumb.
. catch the warriors by surprise a couple of them
. assassinate all black men
. drink champagne?!
This is my miria and not that thing that I saw, like you said before she cut down Tabitha.
Old 2010-12-29, 10:37   Link #1527
DonDeCoY

Ost

Hi everyone, could you tell me te title of that soundtrack, when Clare goes to the mountains to help Jean, when the injured claymore comes back to the city, tells to Clare what happened, then die.

I couldn't find it, it's rock style.

Thx for the help!
DonDeCoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 05:07   Link #1528
haegar
mangaviking

Never was much of a fan of the OST music and didn't buy it hence, so not entirely sure if this is correct, but should be on this one: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=AVCA-26398 ?!

someone who knows for sure plz confirm ...
Old 2010-12-30, 17:44   Link #1529
MisterJB
Warden of the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDeCoY View Post
Hi everyone, could you tell me te title of that soundtrack, when Clare goes to the mountains to help Jean, when the injured claymore comes back to the city, tells to Clare what happened, then die.

I couldn't find it, it's rock style.

Thx for the help!
My best guess is one of these two.

Old 2011-01-03, 11:10   Link #1530
DonDeCoY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJB View Post
My best guess is one of these two.

Not of them, i have theese 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u_UehJv2b8 in this one at 4:15 this is what I'm looking for
DonDeCoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 13:54   Link #1531
Gooral
Firefly/Serenity fanatic

Ryus and Shiek927 asked this in the Image Thread but no one answered and since I'm curious about it too maybe you could help. Where in the manga (which chapter) does it say that Miata's nick is "Blood Eye"?
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 16:42   Link #1532
Nixl

I just checked for "Bloody Eyes" and I did not see it in any of the actual dialogue, so that leads me to believe that it is actually in the cover art pages(narration lines?) rather than the story panels.

Edit: I could not find it in either the story panels or the narration lines. Sorry Gooral

Last edited by Nixl; 2011-01-18 at 16:58.
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 23:54   Link #1533
evil_kenshin

from memory it was actually a fanfiction that called her that nickname , so its possibly a mistake that on the wiki pages someone included that nickname (though could be wrong could be something in the japanese version that viz didn't translate).
Old 2011-01-19, 00:39   Link #1534
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_kenshin View Post
from memory it was actually a fanfiction that called her that nickname , so its possibly a mistake that on the wiki pages someone included that nickname (though could be wrong could be something in the japanese version that viz didn't translate).
True but it was also not in 10sighs translations. Me and Gooral both checked them independently and confirmed it with each other later.
Old 2011-01-19, 00:49   Link #1535
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
True but it was also not in 10sighs translations. Me and Gooral both checked them independently and confirmed it with each other later.
then seems very likely its a case of someone confusing fanfiction with the story if there is no mention of it in either version.
Old 2011-01-19, 10:32   Link #1536
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
then seems very likely its a case of someone confusing fanfiction with the story if there is no mention of it in either version.
Figures; Fanfictions have given her many nick-names (Dany called her "Bloodhound" etc), which is probably what we are all thinking

Last edited by Shiek927; 2011-01-19 at 11:37.
Shiek927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 19:16   Link #1537
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post
Figures; Fanfictions have given her many nick-names (Dany called her "Bloodhound" etc), which is probably what we are all thinking
guess someone will eventually have to fix the wiki's though I admit im a bit hesitant in case im wrong
Old 2011-01-20, 20:04   Link #1538
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

New data book please!
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 20:15   Link #1539
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
guess someone will eventually have to fix the wiki's though I admit im a bit hesitant in case im wrong
I can't believe people actually even look at Claymore wikis anyway (http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...ostcount=604); this forum is the true wiki of Claymore, in my book.
Old 2011-01-21, 13:01   Link #1540
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Seems I stumbled upon a post on Baidu talking about a season 2 of Claymore in production. However I can't read Chinese and can only read the google translation of it. I'd like a second opinion of it, if it seems legit or a big prank... (it mentions April, could it be a very early April fools joke? or is the poster worried about the same thing?)

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=348044622

Spoiler for Original Text:

Spoiler for Google translation:

I'm sure most of use here know how many times we've heard the season 2 pranks and misunderstandings of what was being said due to poor translations. So lets be careful with this.

EDIT: seems I missed the post date... 2008-4-1 01:55 LIKELY THIS IS FAKE... Why would anyone respond to such an old post, and there by bringing it to the top of list of posts making me think it was new... My mistake Kinda glad I reread the whole thing before we got all excited

Last edited by Ryus; 2011-01-21 at 13:12.
Ryus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
claymore, q & a