AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-03-18, 23:25   Link #141
Nesty
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
magnificent is not a superb choice.
no it isn't indeed >_<!!! wtf is "magnificient".....

next volume out will be July 2008! another 4 darn months T_T
__________________
Nesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 00:38   Link #142
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I do not use the word magnificent seriously. The only place I can think I would have used it would have been pretending to be an aristocrat talking about a view from an exotic vacation. Whereas I have said superb ever since I played the original mortal kombat.
__________________
Tests for my graphic novel -> http://dragonfury0.deviantart.com/ <-
chibamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 01:59   Link #143
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Maybe they chose the word "magnificent" because they found the meme as annoying as I do. That sounds like a pretty good reason.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 00:26   Link #144
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I stumbled onto the movie "The Ten Commandments" this weekend and I heard something too awesome not so share. When Pharaoh goes to visit Moses to see if he is building an army or a city, Moses shows him that he has constructed something beyond the Pharaoh's wildest expectation. Pharaoh's response? "Superb!" I hold that superb is the right word.

Translation is a funny thing. When it is done literally it loses a lot of its meaning and becomes flat. I was watching a fansub of bleach the other day where the translators decided to convey the meaning behind the phrase rather than the literal definition. It was awesome. Instead of translating urusai as "shut up", or "you are annoying" the character said "blow me". Sure the literal sense was off, but the meaning was exactly right in the situation. The characters had so much more dimension to them. That probably has something to do with why so many famous books written in foreign languages have so many translations. A translator gets to tweek the story a bit.
__________________
Tests for my graphic novel -> http://dragonfury0.deviantart.com/ <-
chibamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 16:19   Link #145
Arcananine77
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
I stumbled onto the movie "The Ten Commandments" this weekend and I heard something too awesome not so share. When Pharaoh goes to visit Moses to see if he is building an army or a city, Moses shows him that he has constructed something beyond the Pharaoh's wildest expectation. Pharaoh's response? "Superb!" I hold that superb is the right word.

Translation is a funny thing. When it is done literally it loses a lot of its meaning and becomes flat. I was watching a fansub of bleach the other day where the translators decided to convey the meaning behind the phrase rather than the literal definition. It was awesome. Instead of translating urusai as "shut up", or "you are annoying" the character said "blow me". Sure the literal sense was off, but the meaning was exactly right in the situation. The characters had so much more dimension to them. That probably has something to do with why so many famous books written in foreign languages have so many translations. A translator gets to tweek the story a bit.
That is true. But the fact remains that both magnificent and superb are adequate translations. With magnificent sounding more slightly refined (which ties into Rigardo being the Silver Eyed Lion KING).
Arcananine77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 19:27   Link #146
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Saw an early release of volume twelve today, and one particular translation caught my eye. Instead of "the Zimas had twins", meaning the last name of a family, the translation was "Zemu", as in the first name of one man.

...how sure are we that the fan translation is correct?

R.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 20:24   Link #147
Cyclone
Transient Guest
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Saw an early release of volume twelve today, and one particular translation caught my eye. Instead of "the Zimas had twins", meaning the last name of a family, the translation was "Zemu", as in the first name of one man.

...how sure are we that the fan translation is correct?

R.
Indeed - looking at the raw it does say ZEMU.
The quote is:

Quote:
聞いたか 裏のゼムさんとこの話
Good spot. Chalk it up do dyslexia probably since ma(マ) and mu(ム) can easily become short circuited in the brain I find. So I guess Zem or Zemu is right.

That makes it what? 439 to 2 now?
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 20:49   Link #148
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I mainly took note because of all those fans that like to refers to Alicia and Beth as the Zimas twins. Now they don't have last names again.

EDIT: I almost forgot. ETA of next volume is November, and will include the first two sidestories.

R.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 00:11   Link #149
Kinematics
Let's play a game!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Reading volume 12 today, a few other differences I noticed:

Yuma - Translated as Uma. Went back and checked volume 10 and noticed they used Uma there as well (when she lost her arm after the first battle with the 3 scouts). I'm missing my volume 9, so can't check how she was named in the party allocation scene. Never really caught my attention before since she wasn't a notable character when I first read through that bit.

In Clarice's debriefing, the fan translation says that number 9 should be replaced with number 7 (in reference to allocation in the northern region), while Viz says number 9 should be promoted to number 7. Minor difference in detail, I suppose.

Lunee - Translated as Renée. I rather like Renée better; Lunee never really made sense to me.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 00:56   Link #150
Cyclone
Transient Guest
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
Reading volume 12 today, a few other differences I noticed:

Yuma - Translated as Uma. Went back and checked volume 10 and noticed they used Uma there as well (when she lost her arm after the first battle with the 3 scouts). I'm missing my volume 9, so can't check how she was named in the party allocation scene. Never really caught my attention before since she wasn't a notable character when I first read through that bit.

In Clarice's debriefing, the fan translation says that number 9 should be replaced with number 7 (in reference to allocation in the northern region), while Viz says number 9 should be promoted to number 7. Minor difference in detail, I suppose.

Lunee - Translated as Renée. I rather like Renée better; Lunee never really made sense to me.
Yes, most unfortunate translations...

Don't know why they decided to call Yuma a horse (uma = horse in japanese). Needless to say, that is not her name.

The No 9 to No 7 thing says: "But number 9 to number 7..." (japanese love dropping 'obvious' verbs) and continues to "and increase the total battle power of the others". I think 'replace' makes more sense than promote personally.

Renee is absurd, but that's life. It's ルネ (RU/LU - NE).
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 03:55   Link #151
Korinov
The Burned Man walks!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Asspain
Age: 24
Mmm... I've never got my hands over Viz's version, but instead I had some volumes of Glénat's spanish version, and some translations really caught my attention.

To said it quickly, Clare is "Claire", Teresa is "Theresa", Rubel is "Ruvuru" and Rimt, the boss of the organization (as we have seen) is called "Rimuto". I have no clue about the original names (not beyond anime's "Kureaaaaagh" from Raki ) so I dunno if they are correct or not. Spanish translations usually keep the names very close to original spelling, like in Berserk we have Gatsu instead of "Gatts" or "Gutts", and "Kiasca" instead of "Casca" (maybe because the verb "cascar" has a close meaning to masturbation ).

PD: I've just bought volume 3 and realised that Teresa is called "Theresa la sonriente" (Smiling Teresa). Here it's more understandable, since the litteral translation would have been "Theresa la de la tenue sonrisa" (Teresa of the faint smile) and geez, it sounds no good at all.

PD2: As an "interesting" fact, Bishou no Teresa sounds really funny in spanish because "Bishou" reminds the spelling of the word bicho with andalusian accent. "Bicho no Teresa" means "Bug no Teresa" in spanish
Korinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 04:22   Link #152
Riful
Of The West
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kansai
Funny, since I just posted about the same in another thread. I want to note that, as much as I complained about "Rubel" and "Ilena", which aber both wrong indeed ... "Uma" and "Renée" are the correct translations, and I'm happy that VIZ got those right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Yes, most unfortunate translations...

Don't know why they decided to call Yuma a horse (uma = horse in japanese). Needless to say, that is not her name.
Well, it is her name. You know Uma Thurman? Yep, she has the same name. It is not based on Japanese words at all, but on this one: http://www.behindthename.com/name/uma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Renee is absurd, but that's life. It's ルネ (RU/LU - NE).
Renee is as absurd as Japanese Katakana spellings can get. Rune is indeed the Japanese spelling of the French (!) name René or Renée. Lune/e is not a name neither is Rune. Renée turns into Rune in Japanese because it is based on the French pronunciation, it is also spelt "Rene" when based on the English one. But Renee is correct. They even added the "e" to use the feminine form of the name, not like back then with Noel/le, where they gave her a male name. I'm so happy xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korinov View Post
To said it quickly, Clare is "Claire", Teresa is "Theresa", Rubel is "Ruvuru" and Rimt, the boss of the organization (as we have seen) is called "Rimuto". I have no clue about the original names (not beyond anime's "Kureaaaaagh" from Raki ) so I dunno if they are correct or not.
They're all correct and almost the same anyway, apart from Rubel which is wrong, while Ruvuru is correct (but it should be Louvre ). Clare and Teresa are the spellings used in the Japanese manga, so you can consider them "correct". However Claire and Theresa are just variant spellings of the same name, which do exist as well.

The other one is Rimuto in Katakana, so keeping it just like that or turning it into Rimt is possible. We don't know where his name comes from really.

Also, Bishou no Teresa means "Smiling Theresa" ... I'm not sure why they added a "faint" in there in English, maybe because it sounds better (it does indeed) or because there is a difference that I don't get, since I'm no native speaker. In French they also simply called her "la souriante", which is about the same as in Spanish.
__________________
Riful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 04:30   Link #153
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I believe that Rimuto's (リムト) name comes from another art related name; Gustav Klimt or in Japanese グスタフ・クリムト I heard Yagi named a lot of characters after art related things like. At least that is what I heard...
__________________
Tests for my graphic novel -> http://dragonfury0.deviantart.com/ <-
chibamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 04:36   Link #154
Riful
Of The West
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kansai
yes, I heard that too, but we can't be sure unless someone asks him in an interview or so ^^ There might even be some other museum that his Katakana were taken from, which hasn't been discovered yet, like the other Men in Black XD
For them at least we can be sure, because it would be too much of a coincidence that all their names correspond to major art museums. Also at one point in the story they went into the "Pablo mountains" ... so yes, art related names do appear.

But whatever spelling you chose, the name is really weird >.< I just call him "the Boss" for now.
__________________
Riful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 05:04   Link #155
Korinov
The Burned Man walks!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Asspain
Age: 24
Thx Riful for the explanation.

I've heard that MiB are usually named after famous museums all around the world, like Ruvuru/Rubel = Louvre, Orsay/Orsé = Orsay, Ermita/Eremita = Hermitage, Rado/Radu = Prado... etc. Looking at Claymore's names, they seem to be inspired in arts (Ophelia, for example). Well, I suppose we have to thank Yagi his interest in world culture, instead of choosing cool but unpronounceable japanese names (check Bleach's databooks if you need an idea )
Korinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 09:34   Link #156
Cyclone
Transient Guest
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riful View Post
Well, it is her name. You know Uma Thurman? Yep, she has the same name. It is not based on Japanese words at all, but on this one: http://www.behindthename.com/name/uma
So, if the Japanese goal was to write the name 'Uma' why the heck wouldn't they write 'ウマ' instead of 'ユマ'? Makes no sense. The former is even pronounced exactly the same. I don't know about you, but I'm personally for simple transliterating the katakana when there is ambiguity instead of searching all the languages in the world over for potential candidates.
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 09:45   Link #157
Ryuken
Claymore #01
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maldives
Yea that name is used in India a lot, I'd have to say that it is infect an Indian name.
Ryuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 11:05   Link #158
Riful
Of The West
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kansai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
So, if the Japanese goal was to write the name 'Uma' why the heck wouldn't they write 'ウマ' instead of 'ユマ'? Makes no sense. The former is even pronounced exactly the same. I don't know about you, but I'm personally for simple transliterating the katakana when there is ambiguity instead of searching all the languages in the world over for potential candidates.
Good question. As a matter of fact they call Uma Thurman ユマ・サーマン (Yuma). The Japanese wikipedia explains that - just as you said - her name means horse in Japanese, so they decided to render it as ユマ Yuma in Katakana. Unfortunately there is no source, but it doesn't sound impossible.

Personally I don't think Uma's name is part of the "ambiguous" ones, since it was quite easy to find back then when I tried to look for corresponding names, thanks to Uma Thurman. The names that really give me a headache are "Riful" or "Isley" or "Rigardo" or something
__________________
Riful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 19:24   Link #159
Cyclone
Transient Guest
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riful View Post
Good question. As a matter of fact they call Uma Thurman ユマ・サーマン (Yuma). The Japanese wikipedia explains that - just as you said - her name means horse in Japanese, so they decided to render it as ユマ Yuma in Katakana. Unfortunately there is no source, but it doesn't sound impossible.

Personally I don't think Uma's name is part of the "ambiguous" ones, since it was quite easy to find back then when I tried to look for corresponding names, thanks to Uma Thurman. The names that really give me a headache are "Riful" or "Isley" or "Rigardo" or something
Yes, since they don't want to call anyone a horse, THEY changed it. Since they don't want to use the name Uma, why should we change it back from Yuma? Simply put it's not what they wrote (and it stinks of 'dumbing down' style editting that I am allergic to).
We can guess as to what they meant, but why bother? They say Yuma, we can say Yuma. I think if we're not certain, then providing a valid transliteration and leaving it alone is the best policy.

I could, by the same logic, decide that riful most closely resembles "Riffle" and say that 'RAI' and 'RI' are 'close enough', but it's just a silly guess and trying to impose that guess on others is not my thing.

When it's obvious like KUREA (Clare) or Jean or someone, sure, but finding a reference on wiki where the japanese DELIBERATELY misspell something trying not to offend a weirdly named actress by fiddling with her name becuase it means horse in their native language is a bit of a stretch.
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 19:45   Link #160
Riful
Of The West
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kansai
As said, there is no source for what is written on wikipedia, actually they added the "citation needed" tag to it, so the info is not certain at all.

And the difference is, in English Uma does not mean horse and it is a name, so there is no reason to stick to the Japanese changes imho. And since there is proof that "Yuma" is their way of writting the name "Uma", to me that makes it a valid transcription and I do agree with the choice Viz made. But since there are no definite rules every translator bases their choices on different aspects.

But of course, you can always spell it Uma and pronouce Yuma Personally I used to call Uma Thurman "Yuma" because I kind of assumed her name to be pronounced in an American/English way. Which might be another reason for her name to end up as Yuma in Katakana (though I don't believe they're as ignorant as me).
__________________
Riful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.