AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 33 25.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 37.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 23.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.57%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.79%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 3.15%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-10, 16:36   Link #241
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
…with the honorific transmogrification of Kagami.
Huh? Could you explain this part?
Old 2007-05-10, 17:31   Link #242
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Huh? Could you explain this part?
Konata as she addresses Kagami (in the manga) and the anime.

Kagami-chiyan
Kagami-chan
Kagami-chin
Kagamin

There may have been a Kagami-yan in there as well....
Old 2007-05-10, 17:54   Link #243
Level E
みwiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_of_Hell View Post
Who is that girl with the long back hair and the glasses?
Well, there's only a few girls with the meganekko attribute in the series:
1) Miwiki Miyuki
2) Yui nee-san
3) Hiyori-chan
4) Sakuraba-sensei
5) Hinata

The last two may not be in the anime at all as they're not in the OP.

Hiyori-chan is in the OP and probably the girl you're thinking about. She most likely won't come out 'till the latter half of the series.

@Vexx her first appearance is in book #2, iirc. I forget who comes into the story first, her or Patty, but Hiyori is in the 4koma more often - you can't miss her in volume 4 especially.
Old 2007-05-10, 17:55   Link #244
FireChick

I saw episode 5 on Crunchyroll as www.fansub.tv is like sooooooooooooo flippin' SLOW!!! I MEAN LIKE THREE FLIPPIN HOURS??!! Anyway, I loved episode 5 and Tsukasa was adorable in it! I loved how Akira thought somebody addressed her as Yutaka at the end. Speaking of Yutaka, I hope Yutaka Kobayakawa (Konata's 2nd cousin) appears soon. And I know how Konata feels about not understanding math homework. I am HORRIBLE at math homework! I can't even do it on my own!!
Old 2007-05-10, 20:45   Link #245
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
I honestly have to wonder how that's like, being cast as yourself. What if you felt like saying, "can I have a do-over? I don't feel like I was in-character"? It's pretty much the same as saying, "can I have a do-over? I don't feel like myself". Or maybe your boss would feel that you're not accurately portraying yourself. Would you be able to ask about a word you're unsure of in the script without having someone else tell you, "you ought to know what that word is since obviously it's *in-character* for you to use it"?
There was the movie Being John Malkovich a few years back. Some of the interviews with Malkovich after that were interesting. He basically approached it like any other role and allowed the director to tell him things like, "No, that's not how Malkovich would say it. You have to be more like this..."

And in animation, you've got the artist already showing you the reactions, so Minoru could work off of that. Like in episode 5, when Akira suddenly screams and Minoru leaps out of his chair. (One of the more amusing parts of LC...if not the only part). The scream and nervousness following that are delivered very well.

I wonder if he still had to audition for the part, though.
Old 2007-05-10, 21:17   Link #246
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I really liked this episode. It continued some of the advances we started seeingi n the third episode: gradually moving away from the "talking head syndrome", awkward timing and straight-out-of-the-4koma 1/2/3/4 pacing... and giving us a little more emotive character movement and character exposition and better use of music (the same tracks, just timed and chosen better to match).

Part of that, I'm sure, has to do with which parts of the manga they're adapting, of course, but in my opinion the animation production has improved. I'm hesitant to give credit to the new director for that because these are things that I started to see in the third episode.

What I was happiest to see in this episode is a bit better view of the characters' personalities.
- Once again, Kyoani is ignoring Nayuk--I mean, ignoring Miyuki, but I guess they don't have much to work with. The little insight into her thoughts as she was mulling over "Blue Hawaii" was much appreciated. And adorable.
- Tsukasa taking such joy out of "barusamiko su" shows us that she's not the way she is because she's dull of mind and personality so much as she just focuses on an entirely different side of life.
- Kagami's love for her goldfish and being ratted out by her father shows a side of her that we could have suspected was there, but never seen clearly.

Konata's new attention was even more important. Up until now she was pretty much just a walking collection of laziness and various otaku cliches. Now we see more of her:
- Not only does she speak very respectfully to her teacher despite being in-game, but she really takes the chastisement personally--and shows that she takes Kagami's chastisement personally, too! Proof that more is going on in her head than her reactions let on.
- She's actually somewhat depressed about lack of romance, and actually speaks for the group on that. Another example of there being more to her character than typically meets the eye.
- Her attempt to "win" the game attendant not only showed her interest in boys but was pure adorable gold. Up until then, I really hadn't been able to call her "adorable" so much as "drawn and voiced adorably". I always got the feeling that if Konata were a real person, she'd be a real pain to be around. This scene was a major part in changing my view on that.
- Perhaps most important, though, was that she looks up to her Yui-neesan. It's hard to imagine Konata really looking up to any one, and she's probably smarter and more responsible than Yui, who in all likelyhood has no business being looked up to by any one. Yet Konata seems to think she's wonderful.

I'm still trying to figure Yui out. I really like her voice, but it seems a bit forced (especially the laughs). She's drawn young, and acts young, but occasionally her voice sounds a bit old, and just how old do you have to be to make those kinds of mistake about age? No, she's 26 (or around there), but she's a ditz. She's like a combination of Konata and Tsukasa. Wrap your head around that one! We haven't seen much of her so far, but at this point I don't find her interesting so much as I'm intrigued in her role in bringing more of Konata to light. I do look forward to seeing more of her, though. She really seems to enjoy her "Oneesan" role to Konata, and for some reason this and Konata's admiration of her together amuse me to no end.

Lucky Channel was a bit better than last time, but only because I was enjoying Shiraishi's reactions.

Overall, though, this episode takes my enjoyment of the series to a new level, because unlike previous episodes, it pushes my moe buttons.

My favorite part of this episode? The ending! I'd only found them to be mildly amusing before, but this time I... well, I've probably played it ten times since I watched the episode yesterday. Not only is it a song I actually know, but Hirano just does such a great job singing it. ESPECIALLY her "CHA LA, HEAD CHA LA!" bits, where she seems to alternate between "swallowing" the sounds and putting on what's almost an American accent (which is ALWAYS cute when it comes out of Hirano).

The only negative thing to say about this episode is that the ending seemed a bit... slow. Which isn't bad in itself, but I don't think the homework issue was built up enough for the reflective tone the ending took. And, well, the homework scene was kind of slow, too. It was also an odd change: The I-can-cram-anything-just-give-me-the-answers Konata is asking for help. That's not bad, it's just another side from what we were introduced to, and the transition, to me, seems a bit odd.

And though it improved upon it overall throughout the episode, the clear feel of the 1/2/3/4 timing was just a bit too strong for me during the gags where Yui and Nanako conversed. I did get a real kick out of the gags themselves, though!

Such a wait until the next episode. I guess I'll just have to watch this episode repeatedly. Like I do all the others.

Edited to add:

Regarding Konata's obi: There's not just one way to tie an obi for a yukata, although the butterfly method is awfully common. If it was clearly messy or wrong, I don't think the girls would have been that shocked that Konata's dad tied it.

Last edited by Kyuusai; 2007-05-10 at 21:28.
Old 2007-05-10, 21:51   Link #247
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post

My favorite part of this episode? The ending! I'd only found them to be mildly amusing before, but this time I... well, I've probably played it ten times since I watched the episode yesterday. Not only is it a song I actually know, but Hirano just does such a great job singing it. ESPECIALLY her "CHA LA, HEAD CHA LA!" bits, where she seems to alternate between "swallowing" the sounds and putting on what's almost an American accent (which is ALWAYS cute when it comes out of Hirano).
In my opinion she couldn't have done a better job singing her version further from the actual way it was sung. I also think she never once swallowed the song but instead screeched it out max volume. I don't know if my taste is so different that I come from bizzaro world, but there is no single way I can say that this was a good job. Of course I also don't subscribe to the Aya Hirano is always flawless school of singing, so I could be missing something.

Like I said I must be the only person in the world that thinks that Chala Head Chala needs a redo, but hey Aya Hirano is never wrong so who am I? Boy do I feel alienated as usual. If just once I could agree with the majority of this board and have it not be a compromise it would make my day. That's what bothers me the most. Looks like Kyoto Animation continues its unparalled talent at driving a wedge between me and the rest of anime fandom and when that happens it depresses the hell out of me. There's gotta be some common ground I can find on this episode, but where?
Old 2007-05-10, 22:06   Link #248
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
This was supposed to be a horrible rendition of it, though. When I say she does a great job, I mean she does a great job at what she was trying to do, which is a spirited, but awful performance.

Really, this song was the least butchered out of any of them... but if it wasn't butchered, it just wouldn't be right.

I agree with Vexx that a "good" performance seems out of place, but I let that one slide because it shows us that the rest are just Konata doing what she enjoys, rather than really trying to do it properly.

If she'd done it RIGHT... it would have been wrong.
Old 2007-05-10, 22:12   Link #249
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
This was supposed to be a horrible rendition of it, though. When I say she does a great job, I mean she does a great job at what she was trying to do, which is a spirited, but awful performance.

Really, this song was the least butchered out of any of them... but if it wasn't butchered, it just wouldn't be right.

I agree with Vexx that a "good" performance seems out of place, but I let that one slide because it shows us that the rest are just Konata doing what she enjoys, rather than really trying to do it properly.

If she'd done it RIGHT... it would have been wrong.
I guess I can let one good performance slide too. Another one though and I'm going to have to start asking questions and really working theories. I appreciate that others do indeed undertand why I'm bothered so much by this. It means a lot.

And so ends Kaioshin Sama versus the World Round CXVIII.
Old 2007-05-10, 22:21   Link #250
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I guess I can let one good performance slide too. Another one though and I'm going to have to start asking questions and really working theories. I appreciate that others do indeed undertand why I'm bothered so much by this. It means a lot.

And so ends Kaioshin-chan versus his own paranoia Round CXVIII.
How do you say, Fix'd.
Old 2007-05-10, 22:23   Link #251
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
How do you say, Fix'd.
What are you doing now, just following me around and trying to make me into some moe icon?
Old 2007-05-10, 22:24   Link #252
Ascaloth

Quote:
What are you doing now, just following me around and trying to make me into some moe icon?
Seeing that the Sola forums aren't that active, and I have nothing better to do......yeah.
Old 2007-05-10, 22:26   Link #253
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Quote:
And so ends Kaioshin Sama versus the World Round CXVIII.
Ganbare, dude. Ganbare.

Old 2007-05-10, 22:30   Link #254
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm determinedly waiting for EnA's release (must manage bandwidth because I've picked up Lovely Complex and am sticking with Gurren Lagann and damn those sola eps are big).... so I can't yet comment a lot on ep 5 outside of the manga strips it was based on.
Kyuusai's post gets me a bit worked up though for irrational reasons (seeing the girls at the festival).

I will say I'm pretty much done with Luck Channel. It was very funny... but unless they substantially change the format, its just "rinse repeat".
Old 2007-05-10, 23:06   Link #255
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Actually, I've decided to wait this time around, too. I've seen the raw, but I'm going to pass up watching LC and a.f.k.'s releases, and I probably will for future releases too (unless there's something I saw that I absolutely *must* get a translation for).

Hmm.. I want to point out that I don't really care much about seiyuu. When I notice a character saying something in a weird voice, I'll usually say the character's name when talking about the voice. For example, some people are saying that they loved the way the ED for episode five was sung. In that case I'd say, "Kona sang really well" instead of "Hirano sang really well" (actually, though I saw the raw, I didn't hear the ED... so I don't know if I like it or not yet). I *know* Hirano's the voice behind Kona, but to me, it just registers as Kona. So naturally, I don't really critique or otherwise talk about seiyuu. That's all. ^^'' ...Not like anyone cares, but still wanted to mention that. XD

Oh yeah and I got accepted into Oita for next year, but whatever.
Old 2007-05-10, 23:11   Link #256
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

Aye, the mark of a *GOOD* voice actor is that you don't think "wow, Big Star did that well" ... but "Character was so funny then!"

And we'll collectively hate you in a passive-aggressive way for getting in
Congratulations and try not to spend all your funds the first day.
Old 2007-05-10, 23:21   Link #257
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Actually, I've decided to wait this time around, too. I've seen the raw, but I'm going to pass up watching LC and a.f.k.'s releases, and I probably will for future releases too (unless there's something I saw that I absolutely *must* get a translation for).

Hmm.. I want to point out that I don't really care much about seiyuu. When I notice a character saying something in a weird voice, I'll usually say the character's name when talking about the voice. For example, some people are saying that they loved the way the ED for episode five was sung. In that case I'd say, "Kona sang really well" instead of "Hirano sang really well" (actually, though I saw the raw, I didn't hear the ED... so I don't know if I like it or not yet). I *know* Hirano's the voice behind Kona, but to me, it just registers as Kona. So naturally, I don't really critique or otherwise talk about seiyuu. That's all. ^^'' ...Not like anyone cares, but still wanted to mention that. XD

That's usually how it is for me too, but Aya Hirano is so psycho-popular that unfortunately the fact that she is doing the character is far more important to some people and it overshadows the actual characters mannerisms that she is trying to provide for the audience. Thus, people tend to refer to it as being her voice instead of the character's who in this case is Konata. It's really quite annoying, but I'd say I've gotten used to it. Just don't ever walk into some random forum and say you think she isn't perfect or made a mistake before you've gauged what the crowd is like.

The list doesn't really end with her though. It extends to include Rie Kugumiya, Mamiko Noto, Yui Horie and perhaps Rie Tanaka. Can't think of any male voice actors who get the respect, admiration and transcendence of the character they are doing treatment that these girls almost seem to accumulate by breathing.

Welcome to the worst four years of your life by the way. I just got out of University and am glad because that place was tanking in the standings at an almost unprecedented rate. McMaster was in the top 10 Universities in Canada when I started there and by now its something like 16th place. It was top-tier and is now like mid-high tier. Plus I always kind of hated the people that went there. Try to strike up a conversation with anyone and you'd never be able to predict whether they'd ignore you, start screaming at you or be an asshole. After a while I learned to put on my scary face as I walked through the student centre so that nobody would dare to try and do whatever it was they were planning on doing to me, be it sell me something, give me a leaflet, complain to me about something or whatever.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-05-10 at 23:35.
Old 2007-05-10, 23:21   Link #258
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
MUST... RESIST... URGE... MUST... RESIST... URGE!!!

Nah, really, congratulations. I've gotta wait till next year to apply for a scholarship granting via Japan's embassy over here... grrr >.<

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-05-10, 23:26   Link #259
Fixen
ZnT Translator

Quote:

Congrats on your acceptance.

Thank you, somebody agrees with me - the actor/seiyuu isn't important, the acting is. I keep hearing all these people in English class discussion going about movies and all the dozens of actors from a dozen years ago and I'm usually sitting in the corner going "wait...what?"

One last thing to say: Right now, Konata feels like a mystery to me. She seems far too happy and carefree for a person, and I keep thinking that she might be trying to hide something under all of it.
Old 2007-05-10, 23:36   Link #260
Ascaloth

Quote:
Welcome to the worst four years of your life by the way. I just got out of University and am glad because that place was tanking in the standings at an almost unprecedented rate. McMaster was in the top 10 Universities in Canada when I started their and by now its something like 16th place. It was top-tier and is now like mid-high tier. Plus I kind of always hated the people that went there. Try to strike up a conversation with anyone and you'd never be able to predict whether they'd ignore you, start screaming at you or be an asshole.
Ah, so THERE'S the basis for Kaioshin-chan's psycho-tsundere moe charm!!!

(Sorry, Kaio-chi. I'm just REALLY bored today. )
Closed Thread