AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-02-04, 22:13   Link #1021
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In Rider's Arms
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
Now, this is the last I'm gonna argue, since this is an image thread. I also think it's a little ridiculous that people neg-rep me for an opinion, just because it deviates from the general consensus.

To clarify, I never said he role wasn't important (and I like her character design, especially with the long hair), just that her character was bland (and that doesn't mean I dislike it).

And anonymous did nothing to negate my theory. I'll paraphrase his little dissertation to fit my own argument:

1st Dimension of Nia: I believe in the Dai Gurren-Dan, and will cheer them on.
2nd Dimension of Nia: Anti-Spiral arc - Anti-Spirals have enlightened me, I now doubt Simon and the Brigade.
Back to the First: I believe in my friends again and they're coming for me.

That's not very dynamic. Sure she had a couple instances during two episodes where she did something different. One was when she felt she was just a discarded puppet and the other was when she was willing to forgo her life to save humanity.

Also, I've watched this series from start to finish 7 times already, so it's not like my claims are unfounded -_-
__________________

PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 22:24   Link #1022
7Th
Mixtape
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX View Post
Now, this is the last I'm gonna argue, since this is an image thread. I also think it's a little ridiculous that people neg-rep me for an opinion, just because it deviates from the general consensus.

To clarify, I never said he role wasn't important (and I like her character design, especially with the long hair), just that her character was bland (and that doesn't mean I dislike it).

And anonymous did nothing to negate my theory. I'll paraphrase his little dissertation to fit my own argument:

1st Dimension of Nia: I believe in the Dai Gurren-Dan, and will cheer them on.
2nd Dimension of Nia: Anti-Spiral arc - Anti-Spirals have enlightened me, I now doubt Simon and the Brigade.
Back to the First: I believe in my friends again and they're coming for me.

That's not very dynamic. Sure she had a couple instances during two episodes where she did something different. One was when she felt she was just a discarded puppet and the other was when she was willing to forgo her life to save humanity.

Also, I've watched this series from start to finish 7 times already, so it's not like my claims are unfounded -_-
The problem is, you're resorting to over-simplification in order to prove your point. I could basically call any character in fiction completely uninteresting by using a similarly contrived logic. Nia had her own motivations beyond simply trusting Simon just like Kamina had his own motivations beyond simply trusting Simon.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 22:28   Link #1023
UnDeaD
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX View Post
Now, this is the last I'm gonna argue, since this is an image thread. I also think it's a little ridiculous that people neg-rep me for an opinion, just because it deviates from the general consensus.

To clarify, I never said he role wasn't important (and I like her character design, especially with the long hair), just that her character was bland (and that doesn't mean I dislike it).

And anonymous did nothing to negate my theory. I'll paraphrase his little dissertation to fit my own argument:

1st Dimension of Nia: I believe in the Dai Gurren-Dan, and will cheer them on.
2nd Dimension of Nia: Anti-Spiral arc - Anti-Spirals have enlightened me, I now doubt Simon and the Brigade.
Back to the First: I believe in my friends again and they're coming for me.

That's not very dynamic. Sure she had a couple instances during two episodes where she did something different. One was when she felt she was just a discarded puppet and the other was when she was willing to forgo her life to save humanity.

Also, I've watched this series from start to finish 7 times already, so it's not like my claims are unfounded -_-
I disagree. Her personality was about “questioning everything”, what everyone else considered an absolute she tried to actually understand. “Why are you fighting?”, “Why do you love me?” or the like. Beyond that, she had core motivations and her personal reasoning on the world. Actions like when she told Simon to use her hands as cushions for piloting Lagann or lines like “Farewell, Father. I’ll look towards tomorrow” or “As a matter of fact, we’re completely different persons. But I believe that thanks to these differences we will be able to live together” among others are clearly unique and meaningful.
UnDeaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 22:41   Link #1024
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX View Post
Now, this is the last I'm gonna argue, since this is an image thread. I also think it's a little ridiculous that people neg-rep me for an opinion, just because it deviates from the general consensus.

To clarify, I never said he role wasn't important (and I like her character design, especially with the long hair), just that her character was bland (and that doesn't mean I dislike it).

And anonymous did nothing to negate my theory. I'll paraphrase his little dissertation to fit my own argument:

1st Dimension of Nia: I believe in the Dai Gurren-Dan, and will cheer them on.
2nd Dimension of Nia: Anti-Spiral arc - Anti-Spirals have enlightened me, I now doubt Simon and the Brigade.
Back to the First: I believe in my friends again and they're coming for me.

That's not very dynamic. Sure she had a couple instances during two episodes where she did something different. One was when she felt she was just a discarded puppet and the other was when she was willing to forgo her life to save humanity.

Also, I've watched this series from start to finish 7 times already, so it's not like my claims are unfounded -_-
Last time I'm going to argue as well. The same can be said of Yoko. Yoko is a very one dimensional character to me. And the main reason why I think many like her is because of her boobs and her lack of clothes. And her guns. In other words, she's really just a mascot. Throughout the whole show she does nothing but showing off her goods and flailing her gun and acting like some kind of tsundere amazonian. And I already have enough red haired, big boobed characters to admire (see my sig). Anyway this is all my opinions, just like yours.

To each his own. I'm just here to lament at Gainax's pro Yoko marketing. (And half expecting to create a little discussion, guess I succeeded =P)
__________________
musashiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 23:37   Link #1025
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDeaD View Post
I disagree. Her personality was about “questioning everything”, what everyone else considered an absolute she tried to actually understand. “Why are you fighting?”, “Why do you love me?” or the like. Beyond that, she had core motivations and her personal reasoning on the world. Actions like when she told Simon to use her hands as cushions for piloting Lagann or lines like “Farewell, Father. I’ll look towards tomorrow” or “As a matter of fact, we’re completely different persons. But I believe that thanks to these differences we will be able to live together” among others are clearly unique and meaningful.
QFTMFT. Best description of Nia I've seen thus far.
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 00:17   Link #1026
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Well speaking from a female perspective I like both Nia and Yoko. I actually think both come off a little as mascot characters (especially Yoko with the way they designed her) but I think their characterization overcomes that in the end. I mean I also can say Kamina was a mascot character in some ways. Although of course Boota is the true mascot character.

Anyways I don't think you guys should be complaining about the lack of female character merchandise. I think us girls have it worse. But I am used to it when it comes to anime.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 01:56   Link #1027
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
I hate to bring this up but...
More pictures -- Less talk!
Thank you.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 04:05   Link #1028
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 26
Some fav TTGL moments: where I got them from


GAR-euphoria. According to Guff, "It’s so epic and so monumental that it’s entirely possible you could suffer a brain aneurysm from prolonged exposure."


Guff: You know, you’d think that Black & Decker would’ve attempted to swing some kind of marketing deal with Gainax. As soon as they figure out how to make drills that are powered by “fighting spirit”, that is.
Orion: Haha, so it’d be like the Pizza Hut product placement in Code Geass? "GIGA BLACK & DECKER® DRILL BREAKER!!" Hmm…it doesn’t have quite the same impact as C.C. sitting on the bed in a T-shirt eating pizza.


^ Tee hee hee, all I've got say is that not only is this a huge GAR moment, Nia looks so precious. ^_^


Orion: Just when you thought Gurren Lagann couldn’t possibly get any bigger, any crazier, any more badass. That final battle was truly epic, a worthy conclusion to the series. And not only were Simon and Co. amazing, you gotta give props to the Anti-Spiral, too! In what other series have you seen the antagonist use galaxies - galaxies! - like they were mere shuriken?
Guff: You’ve gotta love the sunglasses-boomerang maneuver, as well. I mean, is there anything more awesome then tearing your opponents asunder with one mighty toss of your stunna shades? I think not.


Guff: And a clean sweep for Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann! Although honestly, there was no real competition that can compare with the peerless dominance of Simon & Co. Coupled with Gainax’s unique and fluid animation style, the cartoonish bravado of the mecha itself is just priceless.

I mean, the thing wears giant sunglasses, and poses with with flames and erupting volcanoes in the background, for crying out loud. In any other series that would be gratuitous and cheesy, but with Gurren Lagann it feels absolutely right.

Orion: As cool as the final form Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was, I have to say, I still like the original version best.

The broken helmet, the two talking heads, the giant shades, the color scheme - it was all great.



Orion: Right from the very beginning, Gurren Lagann was a show that knew what it wanted and where it wanted to go. It’s an increasingly rare example of a series that knew how to pace itself, neither too fast or too slow in unfolding the grand overarching narrative.

The strength of the cast is another thing Gurren Lagann did well. We were able to see all of the main cast grow and mature over the course of the series, especially our intrepid protagonist. From his humble origins digging underground, Simon underwent an amazing transformation to attain legendary status as a true man’s man, a hero among heroes.

I think that after the disaster that was Ikari Shinji, Gainax’s anime karma swung so far off in the emo direction that no normal means was capable of bringing them back. To return to equilibrium, they needed something so bad to the bone, so unquestionably awesome that it could become an equal and opposite match for Shinji. And thus Gurren Lagann was born, Gainax’s redemption, the polar opposite of everything Evangelion.

Really, the opening line, “Are all the lights in the sky our enemies?” and its corresponding answer in the final episode, “All the lights in the sky are stars,” is a nice analogy for the series as a whole. Regardless of how innumerable or insurmountable the obstacles in your path may be, with determination you can pierce through them all and reach for the stars.

Guff: Gurren Lagann was one of those series that’s essentially a nonstop thrilling ascent, becoming more and more intense with each episode. Watching it is like listening to a Mars Volta album or riding a roller coaster; it’s just perpetual action and win.

But just because Gurren Lagann is pure adrenaline doesn’t mean it shirks on the plot or characters at all. The story isn’t afraid to “pierce the heavens” and push the envelope. Despite being somewhat in the shounen genre it has the integrity to develop themes of grief, sorrow, and sacrifice. The story is so visceral that regardless of how over the top it gets, it never feels cheap. It’s as if Gainax has performed some great act of penance, purging themselves of the purgatory that is Shinji’s legendary bitchiness. I can say with confidence that with Gurren Lagann they have pierced the ceiling of that purgatory and burst through to the heavens.


All in all, the whole blog review was made of pure, undistilled WIN.
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 06:28   Link #1029
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
One thing that bothers me is that Leeron never got his own eyecatch. Come on, he's GAR.
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 13:28   Link #1030
Demon Eyes
May Haru-ki Be With You
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dublin
Send a message via MSN to Demon Eyes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo View Post

yoko x nia

YES!

I was waiting for that...Thanks

Also, my latest experiment... *WARNING FOR SIZE WHEN YOU CLICK*

Demon Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 15:53   Link #1031
CJL13
God of his own ego
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Hurray for Kiyal!
__________________
CJL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 16:02   Link #1032
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Eyes View Post
YES!

I was waiting for that...Thanks

Also, my latest experiment... *WARNING FOR SIZE WHEN YOU CLICK*

Teeheehee, that's so cute. And I saw Kiyal had FANG POWER when I opened up the full size! Woot!
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 23:01   Link #1033
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 26
I found these funny:



__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 16:50   Link #1034
Davad
We're soul-brothers.
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Davad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I found these funny:



PERFECT! Seriously. Amazing LOL.
Davad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 22:35   Link #1035
Ichihara Asako
Horoist
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I just noticed an artist I follow on DA did a picture of Yoko.



Link: http://genzoman.deviantart.com/art/Yoko-76863439

He's quite skilled. Recommend checking his gallery, though he doesn't do much anime stuff.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 11:38   Link #1036
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Internet
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo Send a message via Skype™ to Jinsoo
Just realized I haven't posted these yet D; Finished them weeks ago

Spoiler for Kamina and Yoko chibis:


And finished this one yesterday~

Spoiler for The cover of my maybe TTGL genderswap doujin:
__________________
Jinsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 10:11   Link #1037
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
A wonderful piece i just love.

__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 02:28   Link #1038
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 26
WTF TTGL Wrestling?
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 06:38   Link #1039
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
OMG, Spectacular Insanity! I love your avatar! I especially love the dance'in Boota!
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 09:00   Link #1040
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Orlando
*laughs* Oh man Simon even has the 'EPIC TIME/SPACE BURST SPINNING PUNCH'! Should have done it to Rossiu...XD And the Black Siblings had their shots too - Love Kiyal's.
__________________
"Focus entirely on me, you ordinary soldier."
Tempest35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
images

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.