AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-05-13, 22:08   Link #41
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I'll be curious, but can't you just get a replacement for the HDD you got there? I haven't got too much experience with Dell (or with any other premade PC provider at all).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-14, 08:35   Link #42
Maes Hughes
~Nyan Nyan~

Send a message via MSN to Maes Hughes
You have very good English for someone from Argentina.

As far as I know, Dell will not refund only the monitor part of a monitor + computer package. The situation is pretty much return all or nothing, so my choice was made very easy with the HDD worry on top of the poor monitor.

I spent 55 minutes (can't wait for the phone bill!) on the phone to Dell getting them to agree to return it. First they tried to transfer me to technical support, then they tried to send an engineer out, followed by them trying to get me to pay the return costs - They finally backed down after I quoted DSR (Distance Selling Regulations) for the 19th time.

Overall, not the best few days of my life. I just made it worse by spending 89 on new lenses for my glasses.

Last edited by Maes Hughes; 2007-05-14 at 15:18.
Maes Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-14, 22:44   Link #43
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
You have very good English for someone from Argentina.
How am I supposed to take that...?

Just kidding . Not for nothing I'm a student of English translation .

Old 2007-05-15, 02:57   Link #44
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I'll be curious, but can't you just get a replacement for the HDD you got there? I haven't got too much experience with Dell (or with any other premade PC provider at all).
Well, don't start - with the last pre-made PC I bought, the rule was that if you opened your computer's case, you voided your warranty. I think they even had a little sticker placed over the case such that to slide it off you had to tear it, and it basically told you "if you open your computer up your warranty is void!" Sounds ridiculous, but it means that Maes would have to send back the entire system, not just the HDD.
Old 2007-05-15, 09:41   Link #45
Maes Hughes
~Nyan Nyan~

Haha, the same guy who exchanged my HW191D monitor 5 times just picked up my computer and monitor. At least he has no chance of getting lost!

Now then, choices... I obviously can't wait for the refund if I want to re-order this deal without a monitor (expires midnight tomorrow). I'm afraid of getting charged for both, the Dell CS record on the net makes me think there's a chance something will go wrong after they were so quick to pick it up.

XP Pro (56 more than basic Vista) or Vista - Those are my choices on the no monitor deals. I'd prefer to go with XP for simplicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Well, don't start - with the last pre-made PC I bought, the rule was that if you opened your computer's case, you voided your warranty. I think they even had a little sticker placed over the case such that to slide it off you had to tear it, and it basically told you "if you open your computer up your warranty is void!" Sounds ridiculous, but it means that Maes would have to send back the entire system, not just the HDD.
@Led: Sounds like something Dell would do.

I think Dell systems use a slightly different PSU ATX connector (motherboard?), one you could still plug standard PSU connectors into. If you connected a standard PSU connector to it it would damage it, but you can get a Dell PSU connector connector conversion thing to avoid this...
Old 2007-05-15, 09:59   Link #46
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Well, Dell has always been known to be proprietary with their products. Working for a computer store in the past, I've seen them even have "special" PCMCIA slots for devices which meant that you had to purchase such devices directly from them when in other laptops, you just need to go to the nearest computer store and pick up a universal PCMCIA device. There's all kinds of stories about Dell and how proprietary they can get. That's why I would advice anyone to avoid going through them so they don't have to deal with the unnecessary hassle.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 18:35   Link #47
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
XP Pro (56 more than basic Vista) or Vista - Those are my choices on the no monitor deals. I'd prefer to go with XP for simplicity.
If you want to keep using MS's stuff, as it's been said many times, don't go with Vista. At least not yet.

Old 2007-05-16, 18:00   Link #48
Maes Hughes
~Nyan Nyan~

@Phant: The E520 doesn't seem to have the special Dell ATX connection I mentioned; lots of people have replaced the PSU without issue. I'm sure even I can put in a new PSU...ok, more 60/40%, but I should be able to do it!

Had my refund for the previous computer+monitor semi-confirmed by phone and email.

With the deal most likely ending now, I decided to risk ordering it again. I'm not getting the same value for money with the more expensive XP Pro and no monitor deal this time, but in truth I'd rather deal without the hassle of having a crappy monitor to keep/sell.

What's worrying me is my the Seagate 320GB HDD noise - The loud clicking noise I heard on mine seems to be standard after the search I did on the web...In fact, some are even reported to do a bizarre chirping sound . I should've probably searched some more before letting my heart take over and reordering it.
Old 2007-05-16, 19:37   Link #49
Ledgem
Love Yourself

You can always get a replacement HD and use the Seagate for something else. HDs are extremely cheap these days - if you even touch the $100 range you're likely looking at 500 GB or over. If you only buy HDs when they're on sale, that is - and take it from me, they're on sale often enough that you don't need to wait more than two weeks for a deal to come up. Luckily, there's no such thing as a proprietary HD.

Also, if the cause of the Seagate's noise has been identified, you may even be able to get a silencing solution for it. I tried a rather nice one for my own Seagate, which was emitting a high-pitched noise whenever the platters were spinning. The solution didn't help me, but I'd imagine that it could silence practically anything else. It involved putting the drive into this tight litte box, which didn't raise drive temperatures too terribly. The only problem is that the box occupies a 5" slot; if you have a spare one you can use it, but you should also make sure that your HDD cable will stretch from the slot to your motherboard's connector. With my case setup, it barely reached.
Old 2007-05-18, 17:16   Link #50
everlight

Get an E4320. It is the same price as an E4300 except it has 4mb of L2 cache as compared to 2mb. I'm purchasing a new computer soon too and I chose the E4320, and I've read that on stock voltage and stock fan you can OC up to 2.8GHz!

The 500GB are dirt cheap. The only problem with them is that they are so cheap I want to buy 2 of them, just so I can say I have 2. Id fill them eventually though.
@Maes Hughes: Seagates make weird sounds sometimes. I have a Maxtor that will act up about once a year and it makes these screeching and squeaking sounds. I actually have my eyes on a Samsung SpinPoint. They're supposed to be really quite, plus they won a customer choice award last month on newegg!

Last edited by everlight; 2007-05-18 at 17:32.
everlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-19, 00:13   Link #51
Maes Hughes
~Nyan Nyan~

My new computer will be with me on Tuesday. It was built and dispatched surprisingly/worryingly fast... I hope they aren't sending me the old computer back with a new service code and XP Pro.

While on the subject of XP Pro, it would seem I made the correct choice when it comes to XP vs. Vista - The onboard sound card in the E520 doesn't seem to like Vista very much.

The graphic card/PSU problem took another twist today with a E521 owner claiming he's using the DX10 card 8600GT with the basic Dell PSU. It looks a little on the expensive side, understandable really with DX10 games only just coming out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
You can always get a replacement HD and use the Seagate for something else. HDs are extremely cheap these days - if you even touch the $100 range you're likely looking at 500 GB or over. If you only buy HDs when they're on sale, that is - and take it from me, they're on sale often enough that you don't need to wait more than two weeks for a deal to come up. Luckily, there's no such thing as a proprietary HD.
Use it for something else? It's a bit small to make a decent doorstop. I suppose it could always be put under my monitor to give it a little extra height...

You can indeed get hard drives for cheap prices. The problem here is that I spent 18 extra to upgrade from 250>320GB...I would've gone with the basic 250GB if I'd planned on exchanging it because of the noise level.
Old 2007-05-19, 00:35   Link #52
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maes Hughes View Post
Use it for something else? It's a bit small to make a decent doorstop. I suppose it could always be put under my monitor to give it a little extra height...
I'd use it for something more like a cache drive. I have five drives in my system right now; one holds the operating system and programs, one holds some data, one is a Linux drive, one (500 GB) backs up practically everything and is never touched except for that, and my oldest drive is used for music. It gives you a bit of faster performance to have music running from a different drive than your main OS drive (the difference is not so noticable with 7200 RPM drives, or even 5400 RPM drives, but if you go into the 4000's you'll definitely notice a difference), and also reduces a bit of wear and tear on your drives.

You could also use the cache drive as a cache for downloading - download to that drive and store it on another drive. The point is to use that drive for any harder/menial tasks, to spare your main drive. At the same time, you want any data on that drive to be relatively transient - if you expect the drive to die at any time, you want to minimize your losses. You COULD just replace the drive entirely, but... I like the idea of using it until it's really dead. Just make sure you don't get burned
Old 2007-05-19, 09:43   Link #53
arcadeplayer987

I think Seagate is the best hdd solution.I had one for 3 years and I haven't encounter any problems and is also very silent.

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-19, 11:22   Link #54
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeplayer987 View Post
I think Seagate is the best hdd solution.I had one for 3 years and I haven't encounter any problems and is also very silent.
There's no absolute with hard drives. If you really care to find out about performance and noise, you need to read reviews on them. Yes, people actually review hard drives and benchmark their performance while measuring how much sound they put out. There are a lot of factors that go into HD noise that I won't go into, but just know that the technology does change with time.

Also, don't buy into the advertising. Seagate claims that their drives are the quietest, but the one Seagate I have in my case is the absolute noisiest drive of five. This doesn't mean that every Seagate is noisy, but it means that that particular model is noisy (and I read it on websites after I bought it, to determine whether that was normal or not).
Old 2007-05-21, 14:39   Link #55
arcadeplayer987

When you put your ear on your 3 years hdd, that is more more than any review

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 20:08   Link #56
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeplayer987 View Post
When you put your ear on your 3 years hdd, that is more more than any review
No, that's just bad science. We all hear differently - perhaps you have more sensitive hearing than most and pick up on sounds that wouldn't bother most people; perhaps you're deaf and can't hear sounds that others would be bothered by. The reviews measure the acoustics, usually on the decibel scale. It's good information to know. Sometimes a drive can make sounds that don't tip off its decibel rating (again, my Seagate 500 GB's whining is a prime example), and yet the reviewers caught this whining because one of the two could hear it - the other couldn't. If you go on their forums or even Google around, you'll find that many people can hear the whining. And yet you won't find me saying "I have one of Seagate's crap line HDDs and other people verify it - avoid Seagate, they're a bad company" - I just say to avoid that one HD line if you don't like noise. And I tell people to review HDs if things like that matter to them (and I think that fr many, it does).

Additionally you're providing a review for your HD, which is fine and valid. However, to say that you had a Seagate that ran for three years without a problem means nothing. They put out millions of hard drives a year, and they're not all replicas of your hard drive. A certain percentage of those drives will fail. If you research a product beforehand, you can get a better sense for which lines of drives may be more reliable. For almost every positive review of a drive there's a negative that will make the company sound as if it makes nothing but faulty products, but if you approach it with an objective perspective, you can get quite a bit out of the reviews.
Old 2007-05-22, 08:32   Link #57
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
double post.

Last edited by ashesatdusk; 2007-05-22 at 09:23.
ashesatdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 08:48   Link #58
ashesatdusk

>Since you guys were incredibly helpful last time I posted here, would you mind giving me your thoughts on how improved this system will be over my current?

Congrats should be at least 3 to 4x's faster if your taking advantage of both cores an core 2 DUO E6600 is around 6x's just for a reference point.

The reason dell doesn't allow over clocking is it voids the warranty with intel. and they can't tell if your overclocking or not. So if you fried your chip while overclocking, they'd legally have to replace it unless you told them you were overclocking. Most computer manufacturers don't replace a chip by going out and paying for a new one, they actually RMA the chip, and if they have excess stock they put one in. Ship it back to you, and wait for intel to send them a replacement. However, if a chip has been overclocked or physically damage intel or AMD will not replace it.

Also you would not want to overclock that system, even if it were possible. Dells internal power supplies are too small for serious overclocking, and their cooling system and exhaustion is to inadequate. Their really computer built for the average persons needs.

>yet the reviewers caught this whining because one of the two could hear it - the other couldn't. If you go on their forums or even Google around, you'll find that many people can hear the whining.

straying away from your excellent valid point.

Seagates have the quietest drive in idle mode, at the moment, and have had that title for a while. However, its only by a DB or two its the truth with most manufacturers, the differenes are that big. Really theres no way to silence a drive any way beyond a certain point, and a lot of how quiet a hard drive is due to the way its mounted, and the material of the case. Aluminum pcs will sound louder than S.E.C.C or Steele pc's. Isolation mouting (Rubber bands) also gets rid of a lot of mechanical noises.

The seagates benifit from the perpendicular recording technology which is slightly faster at writing than western digital ect. A 320GB 7200rpm Hard drive is around 80 U.S. now.
Old 2007-05-22, 13:26   Link #59
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
Seagates have the quietest drive in idle mode, at the moment, and have had that title for a while. However, its only by a DB or two its the truth with most manufacturers, the differenes are that big. Really theres no way to silence a drive any way beyond a certain point, and a lot of how quiet a hard drive is due to the way its mounted, and the material of the case. Aluminum pcs will sound louder than S.E.C.C or Steele pc's. Isolation mouting (Rubber bands) also gets rid of a lot of mechanical noises.
The last part of what you said is completely true, and I agree with it. I just take issue with your generalized statement that Seagates have the quietest drives in idle mode, and even with your original statement which stated that your own drive was very silent - which is fine, but seemed to infer that just because your drive is quiet (in your opinion) and it is a Seagate, all Seagates are excellent bets regarding quiet drive solutions.

What I wanted to point was that it does pay to look into reviews, rather than to buy into statements like that. I mentioned my 500 GB whiny Seagate to prove this point: I have a number of hard drives in my case, and the Seagate is the most audible of them all, particularly at idle. And it's not a matter of a defective drive on my end, as many others around the internet have verified that this particular line of hard drive gives off a whiny sound. This directly conflicts with your statement, and even with Seagate's advertising. The latter isn't necessarily surprising. But I'm not trying to say that, just because my Seagate is the noisiest hard drive I've ever heard in my life (and it's not even one year old), that all Seagates are noisy. I'm just advocating that people do a bit of research into what they want to buy so that they can get the best choice for their needs and the money they're paying.

I can't verify your statements about which drives are faster for writing, but again, if that really makes a difference to a consumer, they should probably look over some benchmarks.
Old 2007-05-22, 18:29   Link #60
ashesatdusk

>The last part of what you said is completely true, and I agree with it. I just take issue with your generalized statement that Seagates have the quietest drives in idle mode, and even with your original statement which stated that your own drive was very silent - which is fine, but seemed to infer that just because your drive is quiet (in your opinion) and it is a Seagate, all Seagates are excellent bets regarding quiet drive solutions.

UMM I didn't post that stuff. Arcade did I just jumped in the middle of your conversation with another user. and I understood your point fine.

The benchmarks for the Seagate drives were discussed in maximum-pc, from last
year. Westen Digital and the other brands have not adopted the technology.
Hitachi will some time soon. Honest to say I was a little Skeptical, because the tech is using is new. But its been fairly reliable. The 320 is the drive most commonly used in systems I spec. I haven't gotten bad feed back regarding it yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpendicular_recording