AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-05-07, 00:38   Link #1
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
Bzbzbz?

Lately, my computer has been giving me a blue screen of death of sorts (first time I've gotten it on Windows XP) at varying times, and strangely this is usually whenever I'm out of my dorm room, though from time to time it does freeze. I've realized for some time now that reformatting would probably be a good idea, since it has been quite some time, but before I do, I would like to know the answer to this little question for future reference, and to see what the hell it is.

After the blue screen, when I do a restart, from time to time, instead of starting right back up, it freezes after listing hardware (primary and secondary masters/slaves and all that), and next to Primary Slave (which I believe is my partitioned hard drive), instead of the product information, it says "Bzbzbzbzbzbzbzbz" etc across the screen. What the hell is this? Virus? Hardware failure in the making?

Not much else in the way of computer specs I can figure out that I need to give out, but if anyone has any ideas and needs to know, I can find out. Thanks.

*pets his poor, poor Freya*
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-07, 01:45   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

If that bzbzbzbz message shows up before you even reach Windows, it sounds like you're suffering a hardware failure in the making. It would also explain the Windows instability - it's not something that a format would fix.

Others can probably provide more insight into this than I can, but I'm guessing one of three things: 1) massively failing hard drive, 2) failing motherboard (or just a faulty IDE port), 3) misconfigured BIOS.

1) What is the brand of your HD (primary slave), and how old is it?
2) If you're comfortable with hardware, try swapping that IDE line with your second IDE line. Just unplug the cord from one ATA port and move it to the other; I think the standard is that motherboards come with two. Now, the next time something like this happens, take note - does that problem occur next to the drive, or when it gets finished listing one of the last devices (likely devices associated with the port)?
3) Have you modified your BIOS lately? Has the system been put through rapid start/shut down cycles (usually caused by power surges and failures)?

And while we're on it, what's the maker of your PC? Did you put it together yourself?
Old 2007-05-07, 01:57   Link #3
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
1) Both of my hard drives are Western Digital (and if this brand is a problem, then now I'm worried about my external drive...). As far as I know, it isn't more than about a year old, though since it was given to me while I was looking for a new drive, it may be much older than I realize.
2) I'll try this when I get some spare time to sit down and mess with it (likely tomorrow afternoon)
3) I haven't touched my BIOS since my last OS install. Aside from restarting after each of these freezes, I haven't gone through a rapid number of restarts lately, and the only power outage here was a few days ago, though after the problems started.

And my PC was put together by myself, though the part selection was not of my choice (Christmas presents).
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote