AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-24, 07:59   Link #1481
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theused69 View Post
LOLWUT 2 Gurrens?! what happens when Simon followed that "destiny", then became Justice League with the rest of the brigade

we would have the most epic show EVER on our hands. It would be unbeatable. in any way shape or form. Gurren lagann as it is is absolutely friggin awesome.. and the best anime i've ever seen, but by no means unbeatable.
Old 2007-10-24, 23:13   Link #1482
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
So, the word on 2ch is that DVD episode 27 is longer... but I wouldn't know for sure as they're still submerged in the Nia should live discussion.
I wonder why.

If there are really extra minutes in the last ep for the dvd then I hope it would be about a conversation with Simon that shows that the death is of her choice and that she is really doing this for the greater good.

Life lesson #146180: girls love pyromaniacs
Old 2007-10-30, 15:19   Link #1483
Iriliane

So, has anyone heard anything about what's in episode 5.5? The DS game has only been out for a few days now so it's unsurprising there's no subs out for it yet but surely someone here has seen it/has information from Japanese fans who've seen it. Presumably it's just a fun episode like episode 4 would have been (in terms of spirit not content) had it been animated better but I'm still looking forward to more Kamina awesomeness anyways.

Also, has anyone been folllowing the manga? It's not very far yet but it seems that it's more than just a direct adaptation of the anime the first volume only covered up to the first time Gurren Lagann combines during it's battle with Viral but we already have Kittan and his sisters showing up before that. Should be interesting to see how the manga develops.
Old 2007-10-30, 16:03   Link #1484
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Send a message via MSN to Dave1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iriliane View Post
So, has anyone heard anything about what's in episode 5.5? The DS game has only been out for a few days now so it's unsurprising there's no subs out for it yet but surely someone here has seen it/has information from Japanese fans who've seen it. Presumably it's just a fun episode like episode 4 would have been (in terms of spirit not content) had it been animated better but I'm still looking forward to more Kamina awesomeness anyways.

Also, has anyone been folllowing the manga? It's not very far yet but it seems that it's more than just a direct adaptation of the anime the first volume only covered up to the first time Gurren Lagann combines during it's battle with Viral but we already have Kittan and his sisters showing up before that. Should be interesting to see how the manga develops.
Ep 5.5 is quite bad actually It tries to damn hard to be funny. Also it has a lot of QUALITY which is strange for an OVA. Though I liked the Gunbuster homage in it.

I'm following the manga. It's not the same without motion and the OST.
Old 2007-11-01, 05:06   Link #1485
Rease

questions

Read through the forum, didn't see the speculation I was looking for, Nakim the little blue haired boy is Yoko's son right? likely adopted because of the bag he got from his father. Letters in the name are the same as kamina minus the A, plus the little thing about the children between yoko and kittan. Seems like everything fits, maybe im seeing the obvious.

Also, saw someone say it was simon in the beginning of the first episode, when did simon ever use a eisnheimer cannon or whatever and aim it at the galactic government, I think that was either darry's brother who he gave the drill too or a type of symbol who anyone that posesses the fighting spirit of the spiral king.
Old 2007-11-01, 05:10   Link #1486
Rease

oh and

Sorry had to double check some things, booda's humanoid form looks much older in the beginning as well, plus it never shows the face of the drill holder...can't be Simon.
Old 2007-11-01, 08:28   Link #1487
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rease View Post
Read through the forum, didn't see the speculation I was looking for, Nakim the little blue haired boy is Yoko's son right? likely adopted because of the bag he got from his father. Letters in the name are the same as kamina minus the A, plus the little thing about the children between yoko and kittan. Seems like everything fits, maybe im seeing the obvious.
Coincidence as far as I know.
Old 2007-11-01, 17:40   Link #1488
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Quote:

Also, saw someone say it was simon in the beginning of the first episode, when did simon ever use a eisnheimer cannon or whatever and aim it at the galactic government, I think that was either darry's brother who he gave the drill too or a type of symbol who anyone that posesses the fighting spirit of the spiral king.
Nakim is NOT Yoko's son. How could you even come to such a strange conclusion is beyond me. When she mention the children she means the kids from the island. She just wanted to show her pupils to Kittan after they get back.

The sequence from ep 01 was suppesed to give us a taste of things to come.
It was never supposed to happen in the main series. Or we could treat it as one of the alternate realities Simon saw (heck, the scene is even depicted in one of the pillars of light in ep 26).
Old 2007-11-01, 17:47   Link #1489
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1988 View Post
Nakim is NOT Yoko's son. How could you even come to such a strange conclusion is beyond me. When she mention the children she means the kids from the island. She just wanted to show her pupils to Kittan after they get back.

The sequence from ep 01 was suppesed to give us a taste of things to come.
It was never supposed to happen in the main series. Or we could treat it as one of the alternate realities Simon saw (heck, the scene is even depicted in one of the pillars of light in ep 26).
See this:

Quote:
I have a theory that if Nia did not exist, Simon might have turned Garlock rather than Starlock. If that's a good thing or a bad thing, it's up to you guys.

I'm definitely looking too much into a character that appeared for 30 seconds, so please feel free to call bullshit on this, but I'm also basing these thoughts on what we saw of Simon's life story.

Simon's arrogance in episode 9 by trying to become like Kamina and Garlock's though guy attitude match up quite a lot in my mind. I think that if Nia wasn't there to support and help Simon face the truth that he couldn't become Kamina and had to move on, he'd slowly force himself to finally accept that; however, instead of making Simon proud of who he is and taking Kamina's will in his heart like he did, Kamina's death would probably have left a hole in his life forever, making him bitter and guilty about it.

Forcing himself to move on like that, deeply hurt and without people's proper support (because you can see the other Gurren-dan members tried to, but still thought that helping Simon was hopeless and that he had to find the answers on his own), I can only see Simon becoming independent through arrogance - trying to compensate too much for the worthless person he thought he was, compared to Kamina, until it becomes part of him.

>> Anonymous 10/31/07(Wed)17:02 No.7161386

>>7161375
Also, trying to get over the trauma of Kamina's death like that could even lead to Simon trying to forget him, to make it less painful. If you see the episode 1 prologue again, you can notice that Garlock doesn't even have the piece of Kamina's cape tied on his arm. Yes, there's the Gurren-dan flag, but keeping the skullflame as Gurren-dan's symbol wouldn't be something decided by Simon only, seeing that the others looked up to Kamina so much. Plus, the piece of the cape Simon wore was much more symbolic than the flag.

TL;DR - I see Garlock as a bitter character who didn't have Nia to support and help Simon get over Kamina's death in a less traumatic way.

I repeat, though, that I'm aware I'm talking about a character who had 30 seconds of screentime, but just wanted to share my thoughts. I don't want this to turn into a Garlock vs Starlock shitfest, but knowing /a/, it's inevitable.
Now, that's what GL-watching girls do.
Old 2007-11-01, 18:46   Link #1490
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Quote:
See this:
Now, that's what GL-watching girls do.
Still doesn't change the fact that it DIDN'T happen.
Old 2007-11-02, 15:31   Link #1491
Rease

i dunno

The scene with Kittan that i am referring to is the one where she says they need to protect the children, kittan is like whaaa you have a kid? and yoko says real women have their secrets too or something. There is nothing that says nakim isn't yoko's kid besides the bag. Seeing how he didn't know who yoko was, he was probably adopted and given the bag by his adopted father. There seems to be a mother/son relationship coming from yoko, not just student/teacher. The fact that the names share the exact same letters seems to be a big coincidence as well...its definately a possibility is all im saying.

Yoko leaves right after the new city is established which isn't too long after Kamina dies, the kid is the perfect age as well, blue hair and purpleish eyes...heck i even think hes got yoko's eye shape...im not a girl though if thats what you are saying 7th.

But you are probably right about it being an alternate reality in ep 1, it would have to be if we are to consider the boota looking character as an older version of boota (seeing how he stayed with simon till the end). They didn't show the eyes of the drill holder for a reason, I stand by the symbol of the fighting spirit of lord kamina in all of us...or some of us...orr none of us...
Old 2007-11-02, 15:33   Link #1492
Rease

i dunno

oh and who is this garlock and starlock, did i miss something.
Old 2007-11-02, 19:40   Link #1493
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Let's spin it this way: There's nothing that says that Nakim IS Yoko's son.
And geez, she was joking there. Also how the hell is Kamina supposed to be the father?

No...just no....I'll give you that: you have one heck of an imagination.
Old 2007-11-06, 01:41   Link #1494
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
oh and who is this garlock and starlock, did i miss something.
Garlock is the nick-name for the famous prologue Simon who blows apart the Great Dimensional Government. Cocky, powerful, and really cool. Comes from a portmanteau of "Gar" (love of manliness/badarseness) and "Harlock" (legendary romantic space pirate from the 1970's).

Starlock is the nick-name for Simon in the final GL arc. His attire is simmilar to Garlock but he wears the star-shaped glasses and has a different personality.

That Yotsuba post is interesting, to say the least. Thus far, it looks like the prologue incorporates elements from all across the story - we see some of the stuff in it spread out in the GL TV series. Garlock's ship is like Chou Ginga Dai Gurren but with a design mixture of both the Daiganzan and Daiganten. Garlock's uniform combines Kamina's and Starlock's. Boota is wearing a Kamina City-like uniform, the Great Dimensional Government sounds like a larger version of Rossiu's government. The flame-skull logo for the flag have switched places - the flag on Garlock's ship has the white shades, the emblem on Garlock's coat has the black ones. Not to mention the chain wear which Old Simon had. "Spin On!" was also Garlock's phrase yet it was used only twice in the series proper, only once by Simon.
Old 2007-11-10, 20:28   Link #1495
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Dude, I NEED to find out what this say's.
Old 2007-11-10, 21:50   Link #1496
7Th
Mixtape

小説3巻発売後のニアスレが楽しみ。 Novel 3 volumes released after NIASURE be fun.

3巻の内容が3部 Three volumes of the contents of three
ニア消滅が書かれてる巻だから Near Death is being written volumes.

What? I don't get this.
Old 2007-11-10, 22:28   Link #1497
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:
小説3巻発売後のニアスレが楽しみ。 Novel 3 volumes released after NIASURE be fun.

3巻の内容が3部 Three volumes of the contents of three
ニア消滅が書かれてる巻だから Near Death is being written volumes.

What? I don't get this.
小説3巻発売後のニアスレが楽しみ。I'm looking forward to the Nia thread after the 3rd novel is released.

3巻の内容が3部 The contents of the 3rd volume is the 3rd arc.
ニア消滅が書かれてる巻だから Because that's the volume that will have Nia's disappearance written in it.
Old 2007-11-10, 22:36   Link #1498
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSakuraS View Post
小説3巻発売後のニアスレが楽しみ。I'm looking forward to the Nia thread after the 3rd novel is released.

3巻の内容が3部 The contents of the 3rd volume is the 3rd arc.
ニア消滅が書かれてる巻だから Because that's the volume that will have Nia's disappearance written in it.

Wow, they're looking forward to the BAAAAAWing.
Old 2007-11-11, 11:53   Link #1499
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Quote:
Wow, they're looking forward to the BAAAAAWing.
Duh, It's GAINAX. They feed off of fan's suffering.
Old 2007-11-12, 10:52   Link #1500
7Th
Mixtape

Interview with Hiroyuki Imaishi:

http://mainichi.jp/enta/mantan/news/...00035000c.html

Can't understand anything, though.
Closed Thread