AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-06-18, 18:40   Link #2201
An Hero in Disguise
Human
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Currently - Germany
Age: 29
Good points there, Erio. I'm busy right now but will participate in the discussion later. Seems like I'll have to point out Serge's weaknesses this time
An Hero in Disguise is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 18:59   Link #2202
Satty
Slash!
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oxnard, CA
Age: 22
Wow...everyone's starting to go to this thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erio View Post
Hello everyone. I have very little time for reading right now, so I apologize for not making comments on what you guys are talking about now...

However, I do have a few comments about what you guys were talking about yesterday (sorry ) which involves this thread's #1 target: the infamous Serge.

Yesterday I had some time so I read through all 5 acts of An Hero's scenario. That was very nice, An Hero. I liked how the whole battle played out, Serge's objectives and motivations, and how thoroughly you explained everything. HOW DARE YOU DO THAT TO NANOHA, YOU B-- err... oops, I didnt mean to say that out loud.

You know, I already had an idea of what special powers I was going to give Gaia by the time I created my 5 Relic users, but I did not have a good way to explain how his powers worked. However, thanks to An Hero's ideas about Serge's powers I now have a good way of describing how they work. You guys will not see Gaia in action until a couple of episodes from now, but expect some uber h4xness. I'm serious about this.

This leads to what I want to say now: How far should we develop our characters?
--First a disclaimer: while I will be using Serge to explain my points, I by no means am saying that he should be nerfed. In fact, I love Serge--he's just how I would do a badass villain.--
I dont know if you, An Hero, noticed while you were writing your combat scenario against the Aces, but I found out while writing my ficlets how... under-skilled (for the lack of a better word) the Aces are. What I'm trying to say is that our Aces only have about 4-5 major skills that they use in different ways. Example, Nanoha's offensive arsenal consists of Divine Buster, Accel Shooter, Starlight Breaker and Excelion Buster, and a few other, which are variations of these four main spells. The first three do about the same thing: attack the target directly with raw power. The fourth is Nanoha's attempt at melee combat. If we group her spells this way, we see that Nanoha's main ability is long range energy bombardment, and Excelion Buster is Raising Heart's attempt to give Nanoha another combat approach in battle. As you can see, Nanoha doesnt go too far away from her main combat style which is long range combat. She did reveal another spell, Stardust Fall (was it? forgot the name), so she might have other spells hidden from us right now, but I strongly believe that they will all fall into the long-range category.

Now, if we see characters like Serge, he has 10 known abilities (as An Hero obviously has a bunch others trump cards under his sleeve) all of which do different things. In his case, 7 of the spells counter 7 or more different types of attacks, which include melee, mid-range, and long-range. In other words, this guy is capable of handling almost every attack thrown at him! And we were proven this by An Hero's scenario. To think that he is only two years older than our Aces...

And what about characters like Kha? He has more spells, barrier jacket forms, and device modes than all our Aces combined. I cannot comment about Kha right now, though, as we have yet to see him in action. How does he handle his huge arsenal of spells? Is he a quick thinker? Can he actually remember all the spells he has and use each of them in the right circumstances? Does changing between barrier jacket forms and device modes affect his stamina?

This is why I like to create characters with a main strength or ability, and then make them learn new moves by modifying such ability or using the ability in different ways as the need arises. However, I've been trying to make my characters fit into the main canon without problems, as proven in my little fanfic, so I guess that's why my characters are all underdeveloped, as I take a different approach when creating a character.

BTW, these comments were all thought up after I tried to get Kha and Serge involved in my fanfic. They seem to be way out of my character's, and even the Aces', league.

What do you guys think?
I see your point, making characters have only one main ability and to use them in different ways. I try to have my characters have one ability that they can excel in, while giving them a secondary one on the pretense that if one of them becomes incapacitated, someone can fill the role, although with difficulty.

Now to get off my lazy bum and finish my 4th character's profile...
__________________

"Rarely here, mostly not."
Satty is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 19:14   Link #2203
Mow Yun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Spoiler for shortened for long-ness:


I'd agree completely here. :X The problem as it appears to me, is that it seems some of our OC's are not only godly at one thing, they seem to have a strength in every area. It's gotten pretty bad as it seems many characters seem to lack significant weaknesses. They're not only versatile but they seem to be every single Nanoha character's strengths combined into a single package. They seem to have a very strong answer to any combat situation, which makes them seem...a little too extraordinary.

Now after that very short rant, I now feel like I'm speaking out of my ass because I only read and don't post at all much.

Even though I'm speaking against characters being strong in many areas, I feel slightly guilty because even though my character specializes in defense, I've given her a very powerful offensive spell.
Mow Yun is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 19:18   Link #2204
dkellis
illusion control
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
I haven't really been able to add anything to the general mayhem going on, mostly because of lack of time. (Why does everything choose to happen at once? Why?) Also, the vast majority of references are, I have to say, poorly-explained, and I don't really get any of them.

I've found that being a gamer, especially a MMOGamer, helps in creating relatively versatile characters. (Or maybe it's just City of Heroes, and no, this is not a subtle plug, even if it may be a blatant one). I pretty much just rip off certain powers and powersets from the game, and then use my experiences in how they were used, as well as my thoughts in "why can't they do this? Oh, must be game engine limitations". Rancer came about due to so very many thoughts about the Force Field powerset, and how powerful it actually was. But keeping in mind the inherent balance in the game helps in regulating power levels.

City of Heroes is especially helpful because essentially, the powersets are based off of one ability used in different ways. (Imagine if a Warrior gains new sword strokes and techniques as he levels; it's still the same sword, but his skill in it increases.)

And when it comes to defeating opponents, well, certain sorts of gamers tend to be known for coming up with extremely unorthodox ("cheap") tactics which make the devs scramble to "re-balance" the game. I'm not one of them, but I can steal their methods.

Or maybe I'm just rambling. I know several tabletop roleplayers who can manage to make even me go "wait, how did you come up with that? That's so... broken."

Coming up sometime, some minor extras featuring the 37th CIAA, in case anyone is wondering how they interact, although I can't imagine why. "Life in the TSAB" may be on hold until I settle on a way to present the skits; it's not really the same without snarky narration, but I haven't found a satisfactory way to translate that into text.
__________________
Damien Kellis (LJ)(anime blog)
The Genderswap Archive Of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Seitenkan FAQ of Haruhi Suzumiya
"That was actually quite thought-provoking. Does that violate the forum rules?"
dkellis is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 19:42   Link #2205
Mow Yun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
dkellis - Personally, I really like versatile characters as well. I tend to create versatile characters over power characters when I play RPGs such as Diablo II, and RPG games of Warcraft III. However, when you give free reign to create characters, it seems that people like to create character stronger than the show characters.

Though, it's kind of hard to imagine that over 10 years, Nanoha still only focuses/specializes in long range attacks. I don't see how it is possible for characters such as Serge or Keroko can master/have very good proficiency in around the same amount of time.

Again, everytime after I type stuff like this, I end up feeling like I'm speaking out of my ass. : /
Mow Yun is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 20:21   Link #2206
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Philippines
Send a message via MSN to Saint X
@ Liana's Drink:

Kyla: Okay
*gulps drink in one go*
*Kyla drops the glass*
Kha: Admiral?
Minerva: Captain?
*Kyla stands there, eyes starting to jade over*
Minerva: Captain, are you okay?
Kyla: Jiiiiiiiiii~ *falls to the floor face down with at 'ka-blag'*

@ Erio

we know... Serge is a bit 'overpowered' so to speak, but luckily, most of us have coped. And as for my measures- most of my profiles are not yet complete so the true scope of the power of my OCs are not yet revealed- if you managed the read bits of the SSD vs AX bits- well you can say that Kha is not alone.

as for versatile characters- it depends on how their skills work and how they use it- even doing things they were not supposed to do. I'm also a MMO player, but my game's system is a bit different- level your skill, weapon mastery and level to gain new things. and even though skills are limited, one can use them in countless combos to pawn the opposing race. and the limitations of the world is the only thing limiting everything.
__________________
Saint X is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 20:36   Link #2207
An Hero in Disguise
Human
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Currently - Germany
Age: 29
Well, Serge actually has one unique ability which he uses in different ways - that is Flow Manipulation And unlike most of the characters here he can't level a city with it But it provides huge advantages fighting against other magic users. I'll write more when I'm free.

I also have MMORPG experience but I'm kinda spoiled by it with my character having one of the most overpowered class combinations available in the setting. Most MMORPG aren't balanced that good
An Hero in Disguise is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 20:40   Link #2208
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Gensokyo
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500 Send a message via Skype™ to USB500
song ATM: Hands Held High (Linkin Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Ah~ busybusybusybusybusybusybusy with so many good ideas

Anyway...
Spoiler for A day off and date with Maren - Part 2:


Yeah, I came up with the movie scene lame isn't it?
Ah, the old sweet "hand-holding" moment.

Good job! *Konata thumb-pose*

=========================

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Yosh-to!

Part VI of Mai's Profile up, detailing spells and abilities:

Spoiler for length:
Why wasn't I told that Mai uses a chainsaw blade as her Device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
However, when I saw Black Chainsaw, I thought of this:

Mai: ...

Waga nawa Mai. Enna Mai. Akuma no CHAINSAW nari.

Imagine that using Minami Noto's voice.
Armstrong: this girl looks strong. *activates Forneus and unlocks Overdrive Mode*
USB500's OCs: .......
Armstrong: this will be fun. Forneus.
Overdrive Forneus: Command Acknowledged. Limiter Release. Divine Voltage.
Armstrong: *opens stance* saa.
All: OJIICHAN!!!!!!
Hikki: everyone, run for your LIFE!!

*after taking cover*
Fate: Kha, look what you've done!
Nanoha: now Ojiichan's gone berserk again!
Kha: I didn't do anything!

that reminds me, I need to look for VA for Forneus.

=================

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
And more to come once IT has been MASS PRODUCED!!!!

Spoiler for Instant Death:


*imitates Chrono's scream in Cinderella Part 1*

TEH HORROR!!!!

=============

@ Erio:

Versatility over power? That's hard to think of. But judging from my OCs, I tend to go with power (except for Shin-chan's case, where he falls to the versatility category). That might just be me, though.
__________________
USB500 is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 20:45   Link #2209
Meophist
Tell me who I am.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Hrmm...

I'm trying to create characters with a balance of strengths and weaknesses(with the exception of Kana who's overpowered for the sake of being overpowered). Of course, when I'm thinking of how the characters are in battle, I think of their fighting style rather than their exact spells or capabilities. I don't plan out their strengths and weaknesses, I think of what the character will want do in a battle situation. That tends to become their strength and thier weakness then becomes the consequnce of those actions.

In any case, according to wikipedia, it's Autistic Pride Day, so I'm thinking of making an Autistic character sometime. It should be an interesting challenge.
Meophist is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 21:17   Link #2210
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Sorry about the delay on this one. And also for it's shortness. Life had been kind of a pain on me lately, so there's less time for me to indulge in writing and backlogs, other than the occasional appearances here and there.

Anyway, it's short, but I think it's better to post this in parts again like usual, so here goes Part 12 :1, I mean. :3

Spoiler for Part 12 : 1 Beginning :


The next part shouldn't take too long...I hope.
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.

Last edited by Nightengale; 2007-06-18 at 21:30.
Nightengale is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 21:19   Link #2211
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In the XV-8A Spartan "00"
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post


Th-the god emperor of mankind!?!?!?!

*looks again*

Dammit Kha! You had me scared there for a sec!

*Sigh* Oh yeah, I finished the second part of the getting-Nanoha-to-relax fluff: Sisters by soul.

Spoiler for Sisters by soul:
Aw... Yeah I am wondering how things work the next day...

But somebody's gotta nerf the Shari Home Video camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Got five more characters to fit with some previous characters. Will post two for now.
Spoiler for Zarithia Saah:
Spoiler for Aetis Zast:
Wow I like you names! Because I've no idea where on Earth did they come from, it adds to the alien-ness of them. Looks like they're going to be a fine addition (and a BIG headache to me, having so many OCs in my head. Really, this is almost like SRW in this aspect. ). Let's see what you got!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erio View Post
Hello everyone. I have very little time for reading right now, so I apologize for not making comments on what you guys are talking about now...

However, I do have a few comments about what you guys were talking about yesterday (sorry ) which involves this thread's #1 target: the infamous Serge.

Yesterday I had some time so I read through all 5 acts of An Hero's scenario. That was very nice, An Hero. I liked how the whole battle played out, Serge's objectives and motivations, and how thoroughly you explained everything. HOW DARE YOU DO THAT TO NANOHA, YOU B-- err... oops, I didnt mean to say that out loud.

You know, I already had an idea of what special powers I was going to give Gaia by the time I created my 5 Relic users, but I did not have a good way to explain how his powers worked. However, thanks to An Hero's ideas about Serge's powers I now have a good way of describing how they work. You guys will not see Gaia in action until a couple of episodes from now, but expect some uber h4xness. I'm serious about this.

This leads to what I want to say now: How far should we develop our characters?
--First a disclaimer: while I will be using Serge to explain my points, I by no means am saying that he should be nerfed. In fact, I love Serge--he's just how I would do a badass villain.--
I dont know if you, An Hero, noticed while you were writing your combat scenario against the Aces, but I found out while writing my ficlets how... under-skilled (for the lack of a better word) the Aces are. What I'm trying to say is that our Aces only have about 4-5 major skills that they use in different ways. Example, Nanoha's offensive arsenal consists of Divine Buster, Accel Shooter, Starlight Breaker and Excelion Buster, and a few other, which are variations of these four main spells. The first three do about the same thing: attack the target directly with raw power. The fourth is Nanoha's attempt at melee combat. If we group her spells this way, we see that Nanoha's main ability is long range energy bombardment, and Excelion Buster is Raising Heart's attempt to give Nanoha another combat approach in battle. As you can see, Nanoha doesnt go too far away from her main combat style which is long range combat. She did reveal another spell, Stardust Fall (was it? forgot the name), so she might have other spells hidden from us right now, but I strongly believe that they will all fall into the long-range category.

Now, if we see characters like Serge, he has 10 known abilities (as An Hero obviously has a bunch others trump cards under his sleeve) all of which do different things. In his case, 7 of the spells counter 7 or more different types of attacks, which include melee, mid-range, and long-range. In other words, this guy is capable of handling almost every attack thrown at him! And we were proven this by An Hero's scenario. To think that he is only two years older than our Aces...

And what about characters like Kha? He has more spells, barrier jacket forms, and device modes than all our Aces combined. I cannot comment about Kha right now, though, as we have yet to see him in action. How does he handle his huge arsenal of spells? Is he a quick thinker? Can he actually remember all the spells he has and use each of them in the right circumstances? Does changing between barrier jacket forms and device modes affect his stamina?

This is why I like to create characters with a main strength or ability, and then make them learn new moves by modifying such ability or using the ability in different ways as the need arises. However, I've been trying to make my characters fit into the main canon without problems, as proven in my little fanfic, so I guess that's why my characters are all underdeveloped, as I take a different approach when creating a character.

BTW, these comments were all thought up after I tried to get Kha and Serge involved in my fanfic. They seem to be way out of my character's, and even the Aces', league.

What do you guys think?
Kha: Someone says we're perfect.
Sak: That's of course! Wii~~
Kha: If that's the case, why do I have the need for something like Schneiderform?

Kha, like the Aces, had 11 years to build up his skill tree, and unlike Hayate, his Tome was never reformatted, so he learned everything from it. The skills may be a lot, but were basically a rip of a Lv 70 Paladin from WoW, with a few extras drawn from other anime and games. Kha is a Velka knight first and foremost; that means he has (and does have) way more short ranged attacks than long ranged attacks. He used to have 2 ranged spells, and a lot of offensive skills on top of defensive, but for StrikerS several were supposedly deleted to make way for a 3rd Knight Armor form. 3 armor forms = 3 stats differences was something you'd expect from a mecha-fanboy like Kha, wouldn't you? As of now, Kha has 1 ranged spell with 2 applications (weakness is that each cast is 1 cartridge; very inefficient), a motley of melee attacks and all that only totals 25% of his entire skill tree. The remaining 75% is dedicated to healing (but he can't heal himself), strong shields (with a God-imposed cooldown), buffing (like Caro) and his unique supportive attack Siegels, which depend on his weapon strikes for effects, and therefore counts as melee too.

GTG first, more on Kha later!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Yun View Post

I'd agree completely here. :X The problem as it appears to me, is that it seems some of our OC's are not only godly at one thing, they seem to have a strength in every area. It's gotten pretty bad as it seems many characters seem to lack significant weaknesses. They're not only versatile but they seem to be every single Nanoha character's strengths combined into a single package. They seem to have a very strong answer to any combat situation, which makes them seem...a little too extraordinary.

Now after that very short rant, I now feel like I'm speaking out of my ass because I only read and don't post at all much.

Even though I'm speaking against characters being strong in many areas, I feel slightly guilty because even though my character specializes in defense, I've given her a very powerful offensive spell.
It's okay really. Nanoha has several ranged skills, but her one melee is quite potent too. Fate has the opposite side, but we know how many permutations of Plasma Zamber she has, and that thing punches hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Hero in Disguise View Post
Well, Serge actually has one unique ability which he uses in different ways - that is Flow Manipulation And unlike most of the characters here he can't level a city with it But it provides huge advantages fighting against other magic users. I'll write more when I'm free.

I also have MMORPG experience but I'm kinda spoiled by it with my character having one of the most overpowered class combinations available in the setting. Most MMORPG aren't balanced that good
And Kha has the Whispers, which is his unique person skill. Has its own big fat nerf too.

ALLLLLLLLRRRRRRRIGGGHT!!! Moeru ze!!!! Time to build that Cleric-Knight Codex! Be back in 10 hrs!
__________________
Kha is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 21:32   Link #2212
KBTKaiser
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 29
Well, after a lengthy discussion with Aaron, it's time to let the cat peer out of the bag.

Spoiler for Um...O-KAY....:


...Plus parts, anyone?
KBTKaiser is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 21:35   Link #2213
Aaron008R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*Sigh* Oh yeah, I finished the second part of the getting-Nanoha-to-relax fluff: Sisters by soul.

Spoiler for Sisters by soul:
Awww. The exchange of goodnights part was pretty damned cute. And Keroko doing the Tendou Souji pose was nice. So she's mainly a meat-eater then? Nice work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Got five more characters to fit with some previous characters. Will post two for now.
Spoiler for Zarithia Saah:
Spoiler for Aetis Zast:
Well, it's quite a refreshing change to see that you've made some fun-loving OC's. Zarithia's blue-obsession is very amusing. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Ah, well, can't disagree with the Serge thing. Heck, it's actually one of the topics of the moment who would fight how and win or lose against Serge.

Blah, my discussion skills are low at the moment, I blame sleep. I'll come back with good arguments tommorow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erio View Post
I'll probably have a good contender soon. Gotta wait until I get back home, though.

Well, internet time is over now. Be back in 20 hours... when the discussions are over, as always.

See ya guys later.
Won't Gwen-chan and Co. be more than enough? Gwendolyn has INFINITE POWAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Hero in Disguise View Post
Good points there, Erio. I'm busy right now but will participate in the discussion later. Seems like I'll have to point out Serge's weaknesses this time
Well, what can I say, An Hero. You're viral marketing is a smashing success! Now you have a large chunk of the OC thread after Serge's neck. Ever think of needing to upgrade Niddhogg's shields anytime soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
@ Liana's Drink:

Kyla: Okay
*gulps drink in one go*
*Kyla drops the glass*
Kha: Admiral?
Minerva: Captain?
*Kyla stands there, eyes starting to jade over*
Minerva: Captain, are you okay?
Kyla: Jiiiiiiiiii~ *falls to the floor face down with at 'ka-blag'*

It's always the most respected and cool characters that get the knockout reaction in SRWverse. I guess it applies here too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by USB500 View Post
Why wasn't I told that Mai uses a chainsaw blade as her Device?



Armstrong: this girl looks strong. *activates Forneus and unlocks Overdrive Mode*
USB500's OCs: .......
Armstrong: this will be fun. Forneus.
Overdrive Forneus: Command Acknowledged. Limiter Release. Divine Voltage.
Armstrong: *opens stance* saa.
All: OJIICHAN!!!!!!
Hikki: everyone, run for your LIFE!!

*after taking cover*
Fate: Kha, look what you've done!
Nanoha: now Ojiichan's gone berserk again!
Kha: I didn't do anything!
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!
*gets caught in the blast*
*clambers out of smoldering wreckage*

Okay, just what is with Armstrong-jiisan and the RAMPAGING OVERPOWERED OLD MAN WITH THE BATTLE-MANIAC TENDENCY?!

Seriously. How do you guys manage to keep him in check?
He's chucking out Breaker moves like no tomorrow at the mere sight of a challenge.


@KBTKaiser: Fits. And a nice touch on calling Aurion 'Uncle'. Please go ahead with the plans.
__________________

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 21:35   Link #2214
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Just another thought that has been spinning in my head ever since one Espada referred to Vivio as "Seijou":

Spoiler for Vivio...?:
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the TRUE Schneiderform. (And Kha's Breaker)

For God Empress H*****, and the Star Child VIVIO!!!


H-SHE LIVES!!!! THE GOD EMPRESS LIVES!!!! THE STAR CHILD HAS RETURNED!!!!!! THE RISE OF THE IMPERIUM HAS BEGUN!!!

Watch out for the ION CANON though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*Sigh* Oh yeah, I finished the second part of the getting-Nanoha-to-relax fluff: Sisters by soul.

Spoiler for Sisters by soul:
Chrono is acting more like Kyon every second Anyways, nice to see more of the sibling relationship between Nanoha and Keroko, very touching . And what the - Why are Chrono and the others watching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Got five more characters to fit with some previous characters. Will post two for now.
Spoiler for Zarithia Saah:
Spoiler for Aetis Zast:
There is a song for this kind of situation...ahah...

"I'm Blue dabadeebadudaa..." And Subaru... Oh no... Zarithia's gonna cling on you now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
I haven't really been able to add anything to the general mayhem going on, mostly because of lack of time. (Why does everything choose to happen at once? Why?) Also, the vast majority of references are, I have to say, poorly-explained, and I don't really get any of them.

I've found that being a gamer, especially a MMOGamer, helps in creating relatively versatile characters. (Or maybe it's just City of Heroes, and no, this is not a subtle plug, even if it may be a blatant one). I pretty much just rip off certain powers and powersets from the game, and then use my experiences in how they were used, as well as my thoughts in "why can't they do this? Oh, must be game engine limitations". Rancer came about due to so very many thoughts about the Force Field powerset, and how powerful it actually was. But keeping in mind the inherent balance in the game helps in regulating power levels.

City of Heroes is especially helpful because essentially, the powersets are based off of one ability used in different ways. (Imagine if a Warrior gains new sword strokes and techniques as he levels; it's still the same sword, but his skill in it increases.)

And when it comes to defeating opponents, well, certain sorts of gamers tend to be known for coming up with extremely unorthodox ("cheap") tactics which make the devs scramble to "re-balance" the game. I'm not one of them, but I can steal their methods.

Or maybe I'm just rambling. I know several tabletop roleplayers who can manage to make even me go "wait, how did you come up with that? That's so... broken."

Coming up sometime, some minor extras featuring the 37th CIAA, in case anyone is wondering how they interact, although I can't imagine why. "Life in the TSAB" may be on hold until I settle on a way to present the skits; it's not really the same without snarky narration, but I haven't found a satisfactory way to translate that into text.
On references... well they're references. There's no loss if you don't get them, but you'll appreciate it much better if you do. They should have no further explanation other than being there

@ Issue of Balance and Skill:

I agree on most of the points presented here, especially by Elio, Moy Yun and dkellis on the power levels of recent characters, and the trend of overpowering characters. A certain amount of balance must be enforced when creating character spell skillsets and abilities, such that they are powerful, but due to how the spell's effects are used, and not due to the spell itself, and also the circumstances of that spell.

Like Meophist, when thinking of a character skillset I first try and imagine what their fighting style would be like, then work out what individual spells would that character have to allow them to perform that style. RPG's give you a very good idea of how to proceed with this approach. Although I admit I'm rather random at giving out spells

For my characters as examples... I think that asides from dkellis' Library Girls, Kaylin is one of the weakest base mages here in terms of innate skillset. While Tais has a much lower magic rank, he does have Yui with him to get through (or get him into )most... *ehem* situations. Kaylin's combat skillset though is pathetic compared to most of the others here, but because she's not meant to get into lots of battles (more like get herself out of them), it's not like she requires overly powerful spells. However, her skillset is unusually versatile despite their limited functions, because she can use them outside of combat as well for utility reasons. Also, because she's an archaeologist she'll need to have a skillset that'll allow her to FIND anything, which is why she has the most types of search spells here

Glock's a much different case... I don't have a unique skillset for him yet, because I imagined him as someone who doesn't have much in the way of unique abilities, and so takes stock TSAB spells and runs with them. His Necron powers are more technological than magical, which means Belka magic-wise Glock isn't anything special.

And Mai... going by the Chaos Magic motif I molded her skillset to use powerful yet unstable powers, which results in short-ranged, short-lived and imprecise spells. Her "Doom" skills are basically just basic buster spells with the same effects (aka splinter on impact), but designed for different types of enemies and situations. And despite her signature Chain Staff, she only has three melee spells because that's her weakest area in combat (although it works wonders for terrorizing people ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Sorry about the delay on this one. And also for it's shortness. Life had been kind of a pain on me lately, so there's less time for me to indulge in writing and backlogs, other than the occasional appearances here and there.

Anyway, it's short, but I think it's better to post this in parts again like usual, so here goes Part 12 :1, I mean. :3

Spoiler for Part 12 : 1 Beginning :


The next part shouldn't take too long...I hope.
Rather short yeah... so this entire piece is from both Saga and Tiara's perspective, further emphasizing that both somehow feel the same way about this war. And Beginning? Beginning of the End maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by USb500
Armstrong: this girl looks strong. *activates Forneus and unlocks Overdrive Mode*
USB500's OCs: .......
Armstrong: this will be fun. Forneus.
Overdrive Forneus: Command Acknowledged. Limiter Release. Divine Voltage.
Armstrong: *opens stance* saa.
All: OJIICHAN!!!!!!
Hikki: everyone, run for your LIFE!!

*after taking cover*
Fate: Kha, look what you've done!
Nanoha: now Ojiichan's gone berserk again!
Kha: I didn't do anything!
Mai: *Dodges Divine Voltage*

*Sees her uneaten Tayaki on her hand burnt by Divine Voltage*

...

*Stares Ojii-chan directly in the eye*

Your pitiful shadow is cloaked in darkness
You have caused great pain and suffering
Your hollow soul drowns in your sins

... Would you like to try dying onc-


*Mai dissapears from her spot*

Smith / Wesson: *Running out the door with Mai at light speed*
WE'RE SORRY GENERAL, SHE MEANT NO HAAAAAAAAAAARM!!!!!
*Doppler Effect*


Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser View Post
Well, after a lengthy discussion with Aaron, it's time to let the cat peer out of the bag.

Spoiler for Um...O-KAY....:


...Plus parts, anyone?
Putting all the responsibility on herself for the sake of the Kitsune Musume, that's sweet Now waiting for what these "Plus-Parts" will look like.

IKUSE! VARIABLE FORMATION!
__________________

On Sickness: "Like someone filled my journal with junk data and then set it to defragment and gave me the lowest priority possible."

Last edited by LoweGear; 2007-06-18 at 21:52.
LoweGear is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 21:58   Link #2215
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Gensokyo
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500 Send a message via Skype™ to USB500
song ATM: Tank! (SEATBELTS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!
*gets caught in the blast*
*clambers out of smoldering wreckage*

Okay, just what is with Armstrong-jiisan and the RAMPAGING OVERPOWERED OLD MAN WITH THE BATTLE-MANIAC TENDENCY?!

Seriously. How do you guys manage to keep him in check?
He's chucking out Breaker moves like no tomorrow at the mere sight of a challenge.
He's like Geese. He'll take on any challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Mai: *Dodges Divine Voltage*

*Sees her uneaten Tayaki on her hand burnt by Divine Voltage*

...

*Stares Ojii-chan directly in the eye*

Your pitiful shadow is cloaked in darkness
You have caused great pain and suffering
Your hollow soul drowns in your sins

... Would you like to try dying onc-


*Mai dissapears from her spot*

Smith / Wesson: *Running out the door with Mai at light speed*
WE'RE SORRY GENERAL, SHE MEANT NO HAAAAAAAAAAARM!!!!!
*Doppler Effect*
seconds later, Armstrong reverts to his old self.
Armstrong: *sees the mess* what happened?
Everyone: *whispers* you started the mess and you DIDN'T remember??????
Chrono: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Armstrong: *notices Chrono* are you alright, Admiral?
Chrono: here goes my monthly salary again.....

========================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Got five more characters to fit with some previous characters. Will post two for now.
Spoiler for Zarithia Saah:
Spoiler for Aetis Zast:
Zarithia knows Subaru? I think I better have a pair of eyes on them after this.

===================


Spoiler for another alternate OP:
__________________

Last edited by USB500; 2007-06-18 at 22:59.
USB500 is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 23:01   Link #2216
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by USB500 View Post
He's like Geese. He'll take on any challenge.



seconds later, Armstrong reverts to his old self.
Armstrong: *sees the mess* what happened?
Everyone: *whispers* you started the mess and you DIDN'T remember??????
Chrono: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Armstrong: *notices Chrono* are you alright, Admiral?
Chrono: here goes my monthly salary again.....
Poor Chrono and his salary... how much more suffering can he take at the hands of power-crazy mages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USB500
========================

Spoiler for another alternate OP:
Hard to imagine synchronization with an all-instrumental OP, but once you do, it works all the same Ironic how both OP's have a Faye in them

Wait a minute though... Pave Storm is a Super Robot?!?!?!
__________________

On Sickness: "Like someone filled my journal with junk data and then set it to defragment and gave me the lowest priority possible."
LoweGear is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 23:13   Link #2217
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Gensokyo
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500 Send a message via Skype™ to USB500
song ATM: What Planet Is This?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Poor Chrono and his salary... how much more suffering can he take at the hands of power-crazy mages?

Hard to imagine synchronization with an all-instrumental OP, but once you do, it works all the same Ironic how both OP's have a Faye in them

Wait a minute though... Pave Storm is a Super Robot?!?!?!
1: it indeed is hard as an Admiral. but hey, it's fun to bully Chrono once in a while. >;D

2: I'm trying to set apart from the usual super robot/awesome vibes we get from all the alternate OPs and employ other genres; in my case, both my alternate OPs use jazz as their backdrop music.

I'll try working on alternate EDs this time :3

3: not just super robot, but a TRANSFORMING super robot
__________________
USB500 is offline  
Old 2007-06-18, 23:46   Link #2218
KBTKaiser
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 29
hrm...maybe I'll try my hand at a Mabiko centric OP...

The song, you ask?

...Garnet Moon.
KBTKaiser is offline  
Old 2007-06-19, 00:17   Link #2219
Liingo
Love Hina?
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kangaroos live in my backyard =P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post


Th-the god emperor of mankind!?!?!?!

*looks again*

Dammit Kha! You had me scared there for a sec!

*Sigh* Oh yeah, I finished the second part of the getting-Nanoha-to-relax fluff: Sisters by soul.

Spoiler for Sisters by soul:
What's with the hidden camera's everywhere
Did Nanoha only give in because she didn't want to end up cosplaying somewhere in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Got five more characters to fit with some previous characters. Will post two for now.
Spoiler for Zarithia Saah:
Spoiler for Aetis Zast:
Yay BLUE!! And people with the standard devices.... That's unpossible in this thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erio View Post
Spoiler for for space:


What do you guys think?
Good points raised there Erio. Out of my OC's that have been made or are in development, Only one (Akilae) approaches haxx levels.. (although that's really as he doesn't really belong in the Nanohaverse). The rest of them are what I consider to be reasonably balanced in their skills and abilities. The reason behind this is that for the majority of my OC's have been thought up to operate in squads so that someone else is able to pick up on thier weaknesses.

However, with Serge and to a lesser extent Kha are just one man teams that need to be well rounded in their abilities. (Although as An Hero has said most of Serge's haxx powers come from his device). Still IMO none of the OC's in th e thread so far has been haxx to the point where they're completely unstopppable so its ok atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Though, some things don't seem quite accurate there...

Ok, the drawing of the "movie scene" as requested...
Spoiler for Rice and Pasta:

Yeah, it was a bit rushed...kid of like the last movie scene...lol
Nice drawing as usual FlameSparkZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Yun View Post

I'd agree completely here. :X The problem as it appears to me, is that it seems some of our OC's are not only godly at one thing, they seem to have a strength in every area. It's gotten pretty bad as it seems many characters seem to lack significant weaknesses. They're not only versatile but they seem to be every single Nanoha character's strengths combined into a single package. They seem to have a very strong answer to any combat situation, which makes them seem...a little too extraordinary.

Now after that very short rant, I now feel like I'm speaking out of my ass because I only read and don't post at all much.

Even though I'm speaking against characters being strong in many areas, I feel slightly guilty because even though my character specializes in defense, I've given her a very powerful offensive spell.
I don't think that's a problem. It is a powerful offensive skill but at least she doesn't have as many defensive set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Sorry about the delay on this one. And also for it's shortness. Life had been kind of a pain on me lately, so there's less time for me to indulge in writing and backlogs, other than the occasional appearances here and there.

Anyway, it's short, but I think it's better to post this in parts again like usual, so here goes Part 12 :1, I mean. :3

Spoiler for Part 12 : 1 Beginning :


The next part shouldn't take too long...I hope.
It's short yes but conveys alot about the battle itself and is a good way to begin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post


H-SHE LIVES!!!! THE GOD EMPRESS LIVES!!!! THE STAR CHILD HAS RETURNED!!!!!! THE RISE OF THE IMPERIUM HAS BEGUN!!!

Watch out for the ION CANON though...
Akilae: [The star child has returned? No matter. As long as it fulfills it's purpose in destroying chaos, it will be a useful tool. I will ensure that the barbarian child returns to it's throne and we are safe once more, dispose of it.]

Quote:
On references... well they're references. There's no loss if you don't get them, but you'll appreciate it much better if you do. They should have no further explanation other than being there

@ Issue of Balance and Skill:

I agree on most of the points presented here, especially by Elio, Moy Yun and dkellis on the power levels of recent characters, and the trend of overpowering characters. A certain amount of balance must be enforced when creating character spell skillsets and abilities, such that they are powerful, but due to how the spell's effects are used, and not due to the spell itself, and also the circumstances of that spell.

Like Meophist, when thinking of a character skillset I first try and imagine what their fighting style would be like, then work out what individual spells would that character have to allow them to perform that style. RPG's give you a very good idea of how to proceed with this approach. Although I admit I'm rather random at giving out spells

For my characters as examples... I think that asides from dkellis' Library Girls, Kaylin is one of the weakest base mages here in terms of innate skillset. While Tais has a much lower magic rank, he does have Yui with him to get through (or get him into )most... *ehem* situations. Kaylin's combat skillset though is pathetic compared to most of the others here, but because she's not meant to get into lots of battles (more like get herself out of them), it's not like she requires overly powerful spells. However, her skillset is unusually versatile despite their limited functions, because she can use them outside of combat as well for utility reasons. Also, because she's an archaeologist she'll need to have a skillset that'll allow her to FIND anything, which is why she has the most types of search spells here

Glock's a much different case... I don't have a unique skillset for him yet, because I imagined him as someone who doesn't have much in the way of unique abilities, and so takes stock TSAB spells and runs with them. His Necron powers are more technological than magical, which means Belka magic-wise Glock isn't anything special.

And Mai... going by the Chaos Magic motif I molded her skillset to use powerful yet unstable powers, which results in short-ranged, short-lived and imprecise spells. Her "Doom" skills are basically just basic buster spells with the same effects (aka splinter on impact), but designed for different types of enemies and situations. And despite her signature Chain Staff, she only has three melee spells because that's her weakest area in combat (although it works wonders for terrorizing people ).
More good points to add on the discussion about chracter levels and skills. See above for my reply to this.....
Liingo is offline  
Old 2007-06-19, 00:25   Link #2220
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Philippines
Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post

It's always the most respected and cool characters that get the knockout reaction in SRWverse. I guess it applies here too.
- *nods*

- heheh what could happen after she wakes up? i dunno hehe.

- wait until Ruri tries the NECTAR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Mai: *Dodges Divine Voltage*

*Sees her uneaten Tayaki on her hand burnt by Divine Voltage*

...

*Stares Ojii-chan directly in the eye*

Your pitiful shadow is cloaked in darkness
You have caused great pain and suffering
Your hollow soul drowns in your sins

... Would you like to try dying onc-


*Mai dissapears from her spot*

Smith / Wesson: *Running out the door with Mai at light speed*
WE'RE SORRY GENERAL, SHE MEANT NO HAAAAAAAAAAARM!!!!!
*Doppler Effect*
- not a good way to spoil a girl's food- especially taiyaki.

- Kyla: ARMSTRONG!!!

---

Q: by the way, can you guys give me which OCs / arcs occur when?
i need to check so that i can add character from this thread into my current fiction work- AlternateS I

thanks,

X
__________________

Last edited by Saint X; 2007-06-19 at 00:56. Reason: adding details
Saint X is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.