AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-05-10, 13:28   Link #1
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Trouble with XP on an old PC

OK, I'm trying to solve a friend of mine's issue with her PC. Apparently her main drive failed, but it still has something on it (bios throws windows 2000 booting failure on a file--forgot its name, but it doesn't matter since she doesn't have her w2k cd to fix it from command prompt).

Expecting something of that sort, I took my old drive with XP installed, to see if I could save any data that was remaining on the drive (the drive is 5 or more years old, it's pretty likely that it's on the verge of complete destruction). The thing is, when I connect my drive, XP fails to boot, stopping right after loading mup.sys (this means it had some problem loading the next driver). The thing's an old premade Pentium III 800 Mhz, so it's quite likely to have a hardware incompatibility. What bugs me is that she told me she was actually running XP on her drive (mainly with PCI default cards).

While I find it quite unlikely, due to the driver failure and the fact that it spits out a windows2k root error with the other HDD, I showed her a laptop with XP installed and she told me that it was actually the system she was using (she's not very computer-literate, you see). Well, anyways, it seems kind of strange to me. Is there any way this could happen? That an XP booting failure spits out a windows 2k root error?

EDIT: I can't believe it, it was a plugging issue. And guess what, it was actually windows XP. Man, got a lot to learn yet.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 16:51   Link #2
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I suppose there was a drive with a Windows2k bootloader that assumed the Windows XP to be a Windows2k... which it isn't. To solve this one would unplug the drive with the Windows2k bootloader or use it not as primary hdd.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 21:15   Link #3
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Turns out, from what I could see when the OS was running, that it was an extremely pirated version of Windows 2k, masked as XP. Its structure regarding, for example, user logging, was Windows 2k-like (that is, the stupid user window you could overrun by pressing Escape). So I guess it was that. Windows XP evidently couldn't run from that PC, since it had incompatibilities with a PCI device (I'm guessing it was the sound card), so from what I gathered, it was Win 2k in XP clothing. Something really, really strange if you start thinking about it.

Someone should really begin a campaign against buying premade PCs or something. Seriously.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 21:26   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Sounds like you got things under control, but I'd recommend bringing along a copy of Knoppix in these situations. I have one in my car just in case I need to boot a recalcitrant machine and see what's there.
Old 2007-05-11, 05:56   Link #5
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Hm, I wouldn't very much trust such a pirated version. You can do no hotfixes, compatibility with other components is poor... and one does not know what else was altered on the system (keyloggers, trojans...)
(lol thats the weirdest case of Windows ripping I've ever heard of )
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote