AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 57 36.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 55 35.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 19.87%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.21%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-17, 16:14   Link #281
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
>_< Now you're making me picture an anime version of The Daily Show, lol...

Actually, I happen to like improv comedy a lot too, but that's pretty much impossible to animate correctly. Meh...an anime version of Who's Line is it Anyway can still exist in my dreams...
When I read "improv comedy", somehow I knew Who's Line was going to be mentioned. I also think it would fail to deliver as an animation, mostly because, well, it's not improv anymore if it's thought out and animated. :P

I'm pretty easy to please - I'll find almost anything funny. I'm beginning to find that the more I learn about Japanese culture, the funnier I'm finding the jokes to be (mostly because I actually am "getting" them now instead of having to read notes on how they're funny). I love the funny bits in ARIA... even something as simple as Aria-shachou planting his face in blue paint and then *pu-puuing* is enough to crack me up, and I <3 the "old man" jokes Al is famous for.

I stopped finding Excel Saga funny in the middle of the series though... It felt like it was trying too hard to shove funnies at me, and I was turned-off by that.
Old 2007-05-17, 17:17   Link #282
katsumi
ghostly member

For me it was a hilarious episode, the most funny up to now. It's as if L*S is improving episode-wise. Akira and L*C are a different thing in that perspective I guess....although I still enjoy it, some (most) here seem to be rather annoyed by now.
But then, it's easy to entertain me....

It's nice to page through the episode thread and get up-to-date on all references and jokes I didn't get

Btw, I was surprised at myself for getting Konata's "Timotei" the second I saw it ( seriously, I felt somehow old that moment )

Quote:
>_< Now you're making me picture an anime version of The Daily Show, lol...
That thought is funny and disturbing at once
Old 2007-05-17, 18:09   Link #283
Seiryuu

Concerning Kona's stunted development, it's not really that odd. I knew a fifteen-year-old who was indistinguishable from an eight-year-old at best. She got really tired of people at summer school offering to help her find her Mommy.
Last I'd heard the timing has something to do with blood sugar or other sorts of food stores. Adolescence takes a lot of work, and it's pointless from a biological standpoint if reproduction is infeasible, so the changes are triggered by the achievement of certain levels of energy reserve. Until a girl has enough stores to handle the growth spurt and possibly work to get food for two, growth is slow. If this is true, it certainly explains why we in America are so used to thirteen-year-olds who look no younger than these girls, and the more frugal lifestyle and high metabolism typical of the Japanese certainly explains why some of them might take awhile. Anyway, I think the actual range of "normal" growth is from eight to ten at the youngest to sixteen or eighteen at the oldest. Kona's an average girl, she just needs to eat more.
Old 2007-05-17, 18:24   Link #284
JediNight
キズランダム

Somehow I think her all-night gaming/anime/manga sessions get in the way of eating
Old 2007-05-17, 18:29   Link #285
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Then again, the focus of the anime is not to make you laugh like a horse. That applies to all slice-of-life comedies, too. I laughed pretty hard while watching Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, much harder than while watching Azumanga Daioh, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed Dokuro-chan better--in fact, it's the other way around. Another example I can give is ARIA. In some episodes, I didn't let out a single giggle. However, in my opinion, it's one of the best slice-of-life shows in existence.

Slice-of-life comedies aren't all about laughing. There are lots of other elements at stake.
ARIA carries itself by the fact that it's more than a comedy. It is an actual slice-of-life series and its format doesn't lend itself to focusing on jokes, but rather on characters and small adventures and learning life's little lessons. Very rarely does it build up to punchlines that are over in a few seconds or a minute, but far more frequently (as in, almost every episode) these other things I listed, which are built up to over the course of an episode or half an episode. It's the genuine character analysis slice-of-life that people around here seem to claim Ichigo Mashimaro is (which is most definitely a slice-of-life comedy that builds towards jokes in my eyes... and is also very overrated around these parts, IMO). Azumanga is another slice-of-life in the comedy style rather than the genuine character-focused style, and the character related stuff is just a supplement to the comedy. But where Azumanga succeeds over both Lucky Star and Ichigo Mashimaro is that both the comedy and the characters are significantly better executed and more charming than in those other two. But Azumanga is primarily a comedy, just as the other two are... it's just far, far funnier.

On Dokuro-chan: that show fell over because it was relying on WTF-factor alone, and that got stale half-way through. There was just nothing else to it, since the characters and romance weren't very charming and we weren't given an opportunity to take any of it seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Not for me. Hayate is good, but at a much lower level of humor than this show. What other shows are funny? Seto no Hanayome was okay for one episode, but I dropped it after three.

As we said after episode one, people's senses of humor differ -- and this is a good thing. Just for reference, I think Ichigo Mashimaro is the funniest anime I've ever seen, and Love Hina isn't particularly funny. I burst out laughing at Dokuro-chan, but feel it repeats one joke over and over again. I haven't watched any episode of that twice, whereas I watch these several times, enjoying them every time.

I agree with WanderingKnight that there is some "slice of life" about this show, but it is a comedy, for me, as opposed to ARIA, which is more pure slice of life -- and which I enjoy significantly less than this show.

EDIT: Kaioshin's mention of Excel Saga (which I didn't like a lot) reminds me that I did like Puni Puni Poemi, for taking that style of humor beyond extreme. I've even rewatched it. Before IchiMash, it was the anime I thought the funniest. But I haven't seen Fumoffu and many others.

EDIT2: Kaioshin, I thought that at the end of the tube sequence, Konata was embarrassed because Kagami had said they weren't getting hit on because Konata making herself look like a loli made them seem like a group of kids out with their parents. But as for her swimming, maybe we'll find out later.
I just find myself laughing at Hayate more than Lucky Star, which is why I'm generally more positive about it. My primary criteria for comedy is how much I laugh at it, which is purely an emotional response, so it's hard to rationalize. I guess, if I had to say a reason why, it'd be that I find Hayate's cast more charming than Lucky Star's cast. There seems to be better chemistry, more engaging character interactions and just more charming personalities in Hayate. The jokes aren't hugely dissimilar (although Hayate is a lot less grounded than Lucky Star, obviously), but I think I just prefer the cast of Hayate. Must be all the tsundere girls, I guess. *shrug*
Old 2007-05-17, 18:59   Link #286
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

And just to show how hit&miss comedy can be... I watched Hayate and just... sat there (meh). It did almost nothing for me. This is extra weird because it has a lot of factors that should attract me.

AzuDa and I.M. get compared all over the place yet to me they're two different comedies about different kinds of things (though they're both labeled as "slice of life"). I think Lucky Star will always suffer a bit since it came *after* AzuDa. AzuDa does edge out in the "stuck on an island and only one anime is allowed" false choice test ... but then L*S isn't a completed series yet. AzuDa had a fairly slow awkward start as well and really hit its stride in the middle third of the series.
Old 2007-05-17, 20:37   Link #287
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Hmm... Azumanga Daioh(AD) will always have a special place in my heart, but I will withhold comparisons between it and Lucky Star(LS), since they are entirely different beasts.

There was an actual timeline in AD, compared to the seemingly timelessness in LS (ala Calvin & Hobbes(C&H)). AD was not about parodies and references, LS is. AD focuses more on the character development (which makes sense, given its set timeline), LS focuses more on the humour (which again makes sense, given its LACK of timeline).

As for ARIA, it has more in common with AD than with LS. If one has been paying attention to ARIA's plot properly, then thee shalt know that ARIA does have a progressive timeline, just like AD.

This is not to say that LS lacks character development. Going back to the C&H analogy, while C&H frequently had punchlines (due to its newspaper-comic roots), it also had inspired moments of character development. To put it simply, LS has both, but with the focus currently more on the gags, parodies, punchlines, etc...

If that is not your cup of tea, then *shrug*.
~~~~ ~~~~

On another note, between the three shows of Lucky Star, Hayate no Gotoku(HnG), and Seto no Hanayome(SnH), my personal liking will be-

1) SnH
2) LS
3) HnG

I'm very disappointed in the HnG anime adaptation, and have actually dropped it already. To be honest, this is partly due to manga bias. SnH is a manga adaptation as well, but thus far, while SnH has also deviated from the source material, SnH's deviations actually ENHANCED the source material, while HnG's ones are making me angry.

Each time I watch another episode of HnG, it just somehow... doesn't do it for me. I found myself criticising it far more than I should, and I come away from each viewing LESS happy than when I started the episode. Not a good sign.

Since I don't want HnG to become the 3rd anime to make me totally lose my cool (the first two being NGE and Da Capo), I decided to drop it early (after Ep05) and stick to the manga instead. That way, I do not become embittered by it.

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-17, 20:41   Link #288
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

AzuDa really didn't do it for me, and I think it's because of the relatively elementary Japanese knowledge that it offers in conversations, which I have by that time known as if it's common stuff. It attracted a massive Western audience because it offers no prerequisites in the cultural department and yet teaches a great deal. If anything, it's probably the spark of new otaku-ism for the late Western Generation Y.

Lucky Star is for the veterans who were way past AzuDa and self-researched on more. Even I have trouble getting the deeper jokes, and the Western audience would get only a miniscule amount. Actually, in a timeline fashion, those who liked AzuDa won't appreciate L*S, and vice-versa, given the age range that their cultural references are tailored for. Nobody that idolized AzuDa (probably around ages 15-20) would get Timotei or the Inugami Family, while those who do get it (ages 20+) have by that time known most of Japanese culture and would find AzuDa rather flat.

That said, I can't see L*S ever getting licensed, because it will either be completely bastardized or the DVD boxes would contain about three times more cultural documentation than that in AzuDa.
Old 2007-05-17, 21:02   Link #289
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
AzuDa really didn't do it for me, and I think it's because of the relatively elementary Japanese knowledge that it offers in conversations, which I have by that time known as if it's common stuff. It attracted a massive Western audience because it offers no prerequisites in the cultural department and yet teaches a great deal. If anything, it's probably the spark of new otaku-ism for the late Western Generation Y.

Lucky Star is for the veterans who were way past AzuDa and self-researched on more. Even I have trouble getting the deeper jokes, and the Western audience would get only a miniscule amount. Actually, in a timeline fashion, those who liked AzuDa won't appreciate L*S, and vice-versa, given the age range that their cultural references are tailored for. Nobody that idolized AzuDa (probably around ages 15-20) would get Timotei or the Inugami Family, while those who do get it (ages 20+) have by that time known most of Japanese culture and would find AzuDa rather flat.

That said, I can't see L*S ever getting licensed, because it will either be completely bastardized or the DVD boxes would contain about three times more cultural documentation than that in AzuDa.
Pretty broad generalisation there. If you look back in the Generic Discussion thread, and the various other threads, most of the members here enjoy BOTH Azumanga Daioh(AD) and Lucky Star(LS).

As already mentioned, a lot of AD's charms comes from its characters, NOT its comedy.

Oh, and LS has NOTHING on "Pani Poni Dash!" when it comes to cultural references, and you know what? It got licensed (and yes, its packaged documentation is extensive).

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-17, 22:15   Link #290
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Pretty broad generalisation there. If you look back in the Generic Discussion thread, and the various other threads, most of the members here enjoy BOTH Azumanga Daioh(AD) and Lucky Star(LS).

As already mentioned, a lot of AD's charms comes from its characters, NOT its comedy.

Oh, and LS has NOTHING on "Pani Poni Dash!" when it comes to cultural references, and you know what? It got licensed (and yes, its packaged documentation is extensive).

Cheers.
I stand corrected.
Old 2007-05-17, 22:44   Link #291
robertness

This episode was pretty darn close to a perfect way to spend half an hour.

I never watched Initial D, but I think I got the references. Only a street racing series (or a parody thereof) would have random bystanders discussing the finest details of the drivers' skills.

The comedy duo of Yui and Nanako is wonderful. I have had way too many experiences where I'm sitting with a relative stranger and neither of us have anything to say. The timing of their lack of conversation in the bathhouse was spot on.

Having worked in food service at a certain very large Southern California theme park, I think the conversation at the beach side restaurant is more universal than a specific anime reference. People have a great tendency to be very enthusiastic about crummy, over-priced food just because they're getting it at a tourist trap.

Konata's evil scheme in the bath house was pure genius. From her set up about having to save her game because she's started a "new event", to her impish scuttle accross the floor to lay her trap, ending with Kagami distracting Konata so she can't see the payoff. One of the funniest things I've seen in months.
Old 2007-05-17, 23:56   Link #292
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

Cheers.
Yeah PPD has a cuturaly reference almost 3 times a second. The one Behoimi Eyecatch that parodied SPT Layzner I picked up on without the notes. I was very happy to see that. Among other things the blackboard frequently has a ton of quotes written on it from just about anything you can imagine. Luck Star by comparison is much more focused by the week (usually).
Old 2007-05-18, 01:22   Link #293
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I can guarantee I never caught all the PPD references... they were actually thicker than a typical Animaniacs episode (which could generate 20 or 30 pages of reference notes in one go). I've been buying the PPD R1 DVDs ... the reference notes and tracks are actually "not too bad" (good work ADV, and it makes me grimace to say that). The english dub is not terrible (I think the VAs worked pretty hard on trying to convey the spirit for a change).

I can certainly see Lucky*Star surviving an english transition dub easily since most of the references have "western equivalents" (MMOs, games, people-do-eat-asian-food-in-the-US) .... though I'd still use the original Klingon... I mean, Japanese tracks for authenticity.
Old 2007-05-18, 01:41   Link #294
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

It wouldn't do to make comparisons, since we all have different senses of humor, and especially since I haven't watched enough of either AzuDaioh or ARIA to really judge them. But of course I didn't watch more because they weren't giving me personally enough of a kick.

I discover that what I like is to see people's ignorant foibles plainly displayed, but at the same time feel the message that those faults are just cute and totally okay. That's what I get in spades from Ichigo Mashimaro, and also to a large extent from Suzumiya Haruhi and Lucky Star. To me this is a spiritual message, a sort of cosmic laughter: we are frail and faulty creatures, but everything is okay.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Old 2007-05-18, 02:05   Link #295
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I discover that what I like is to see people's ignorant foibles plainly displayed, but at the same time feel the message that those faults are just cute and totally okay. That's what I get in spades from Ichigo Mashimaro, and also to a large extent from Suzumiya Haruhi and Lucky Star. To me this is a spiritual message, a sort of cosmic laughter: we are frail and faulty creatures, but everything is okay.
That also hits a happy nerve and a goal for myself to reach for... that it is OKAY for people to have flaws and faults and we just work through them as a group. Tomo was ADHD... but the group just dealt with that. AzuDa was all about the bonding, connections, and being part of the group - despite their various neuroses and eccentricities.
In I.M., Ana was convinced she wasn't going to be able to fit in... yet the group accepted her. Miu was secretly terrified of not being part of the group, but despite that she couldn't avoid her compulsion to be what she was and they tolerated it.

Lucky*Star (as it matures as a comic) moves in that direction, moving beyond its roots as a convenient product placement comic to another exploration of the bonds between people as they move through life together.
I speculate that the mobility of (at least) American society causes those viewers to have trouble understanding that. When you're probably going to see the same group of people for at least 20 years (possibly more), you're compelled to develop ways of appreciating them and vice versa.
Old 2007-05-18, 02:24   Link #296
Hyouzan
Fujiko's lap pillow <3

Quote:
Spoiler for length:

wow, that's....exactly what i had in mind

anyway...to keep on the topic
i'm loving the twins more and more after this episode, specially when kagami made that rather blunt comment about the beach food and tsukasa's conversation with the shell (the aftermath actually )

LC...is not very entertaining for me if this goes on maybe i'll just skip it from eps 7 onward..

and i love tsukasa's voice in the ED karaoke , though konata ruins it for me T_T
arghhh..what a waste i was planning to cut that part and loop it on my mp3 player
Old 2007-05-18, 02:55   Link #297
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyouzan View Post

wow, that's....exactly what i had in mind

anyway...to keep on the topic
i'm loving the twins more and more after this episode, specially when kagami made that rather blunt comment about the beach food and tsukasa's conversation with the shell (the aftermath actually )

LC...is not very entertaining for me if this goes on maybe i'll just skip it from eps 7 onward..

and i love tsukasa's voice in the ED karaoke , though konata ruins it for me T_T
arghhh..what a waste i was planning to cut that part and loop it on my mp3 player
I think Konata likes being the centre of attention in the series. She can't bear that Tsukasa would dare to upstage her in a Karaoke performance and decides to interfere.

I swear the shell conversation reminds me of something. It may actually have been something I myself have done, but the whole "I am Tsukasa" existential acid trip....maybe something from a Newtype Reaction in Gundam. Probably Gundam..... it was Gundam X, that's it. Why did that take me so long.
Old 2007-05-18, 03:05   Link #298
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyouzan View Post
i love tsukasa's voice in the ED karaoke , though konata ruins it for me T_T
Aww.. I thought Kona enhanced the song. If Tsukasa had been left to sing on her own, we would've been left with a mushy, tingly-happy feeling... and I don't think L*S is keen on letting that happen. We saw what happened when Tsukasa had a happy, magical moment with the seashell, didn't we?
Old 2007-05-18, 03:25   Link #299
darkjester
Desu Desu Desu!!!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to darkjester Send a message via MSN to darkjester Send a message via Yahoo to darkjester
mmmmm, this episode was rather entertaining... some funny stuff here...

i didn't really read any of the other posts, cuz too lazy atm, but i was thinking... this episodes kinda seems to be a "poke fun @ fanservice animes...." episode, don't ya think? i mean with the beachwear, and the bathing scenes.... /shrug, maybe its just me...

either way, i lol'd hard @ this episode....

gg k thxs....
Old 2007-05-18, 03:35   Link #300
Hyouzan
Fujiko's lap pillow <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Aww.. I thought Kona enhanced the song. If Tsukasa had been left to sing on her own, we would've been left with a mushy, tingly-happy feeling... and I don't think L*S is keen on letting that happen.
i was enjoying that mushy, tingly-happy feeling !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
We saw what happened when Tsukasa had a happy, magical moment with the seashell, didn't we?
yeah...magical indeed, for her not to realize it has some whatever-it-is bug inside it for like...10 or 15 seconds

thanks to this episode (and all those tsukasa cuteness) i have to struggle to keep my faith in kagami-ism
but i think i'll be pardoned if it's her own twin sister
Closed Thread