AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 72 47.37%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 38.16%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 9.87%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.66%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.66%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-17, 15:31   Link #61
zato_1one

Irene flash sword is cool. And I really like Irene's surprising face when her flash sword was easily block. She's also one of my favorite because I love elf. I wonder how long and when Irene had become Claymore. Her hair is white not blond though.

I felt battle scene was too fast but looked very intense. It was showing that Claymore ability was really superior than human. An introduction of 4 new Claymore was nicely done. The interaction between Noel and Sophia was fun to watch. By the way, Sophia strength was truely immense. She could still hold her sword with one hand even when Teresa was stooding on it.

An outstanding episode indeed but... well. 9/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
The whole ranking system behind the Claymore organization was very shounen-anime-esque, but I did dig the competitive banter between the characters. Unfortunately, that's all there is to these new Claymores so far, rankings and very skeletal personalities and abilities. At least they're not Yoma, but it means that Teresa's antagonists are very flat, which kills a lot of the drama which is supposed to come with the action. I guess in a sense they exist to highlight the difference between the standard Claymore and Teresa with her new outlook on life, but I still object to antagonists that aren't properly fleshed out, just because it's something that really jades me and I always consider the mark of a mediocre action series.
What drama do you expect from this battle anyway? You wouldn't mean you expect a series to introduce all new comers in detail in just 1 episode right?
Old 2007-05-17, 15:47   Link #62
piccu

Another Perfect Ten this week!
I haven't read the manga and *gosh* the suspense is killing me XD
That was an awesome episode, Teresa is the coolest female character I've ever seen. I really can't stop praising Claymore *insert more*
Old 2007-05-17, 15:49   Link #63
dutchman
Follower of Claymorerism

I watched this ep again and I noticed a very cool moment during the fight between Theresa and Pricillia its around 18.20 time/frame.

You see a sudden movie like slow motion of the action and see Theresa's sword grazing pricillia's cheek accompanied by a nifty soundeffect. Right after that the slow motion changes to real time again and only then you realise how freaking fast they were moving.

This is a way of showing action which you normally encounter a lot in hongkong action movies. They must have really spend quite some budget on this episode.
Old 2007-05-17, 16:23   Link #64
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's all there is to these new Claymores so far, rankings and very skeletal personalities and abilities. At least they're not Yoma, but it means that Teresa's antagonists are very flat, which kills a lot of the drama which is supposed to come with the action. I guess in a sense they exist to highlight the difference between the standard Claymore and Teresa with her new outlook on life, but I still object to antagonists that aren't properly fleshed out, just because it's something that really jades me and I always consider the mark of a mediocre action series.
Sorry, but I've got to strongly disagree here. I'm not sure whether or not you've read the manga - I assume you haven't, otherwise I'd find your comment completely inexplicable - but the setting is very simple. Claymores 2-5 are summoned to execute Teresa for her transgressions, that's it. In fact, the anime did an excellent job fleshing out a few very distinct characters in only the few minutes they had available. The inexperienced-righteous-idealistic Priscilla, the sober-rational-experienced Irene and the cats-and-dogs pair of Noel (impulsive-excitable) and Sophia (haughty-aloof). These characters are fulfilling a very straightforward function: Kill Teresa. If they had taken 1-2 episodes to flesh them out even more like you seem to demand, it would have been a catastrophic pacing error. It would have killed the storyline momentum and suspense at the same time.
Old 2007-05-17, 16:30   Link #65
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Sorry, but I've got to strongly disagree here. I'm not sure whether or not you've read the manga - I assume you haven't, otherwise I'd find your comment completely inexplicable - but the setting is very simple. Claymores 2-5 are summoned to execute Teresa for her transgressions, that's it. In fact, the anime did an excellent job fleshing out a few very distinct characters in only the few minutes they had available. The inexperienced-righteous-idealistic Priscilla, the sober-rational-experienced Irene and the cats-and-dogs pair of Noel (impulsive-excitable) and Sophia (haughty-aloof). These characters are fulfilling a very straightforward function: Kill Teresa. If they had taken 1-2 episodes to flesh them out even more like you seem to demand, it would have been a catastrophic pacing error. It would have killed the storyline momentum and suspense at the same time.
/agree
with a series like this there just isnt time for too much talk (which would kill any sense of pleasure as it would feel as if things are just being dragged on for the sake of it...) ~ theres isnt a need to know the background of the claymore comming to kill teresa...and tbh what is there to know that we dont already know? the general picture is there...most claymores are just cold killing machines but by no means are they considered "flat" ~ out of the 4 assassins we have 4 distinct characteristics as mentioned above ~

im in love with the series and hope things can only get better

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-17, 17:15   Link #66
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quite right. I'd expect that if these Claymores 2-5 are going to become more important than just a hit squad then they'll get more personality to match. For now it is actually impressive we understand their personalities as well as we do given so little time.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-05-17, 18:06   Link #67
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
What drama do you expect from this battle anyway? You wouldn't mean you expect a series to introduce all new comers in detail in just 1 episode right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
The problem is that the show has gone from 'gripping character and relationship analysis coupled with great story-telling' in one episode to 'standard action fare' in the next. I mean, I get that these new characters are distinct, but there's very little to them at this stage. They're motivated by a job, have no background and, at this stage, are only really there to provide a conflict for Teresa. I mean, there's no reason why they won't be developed into real characters with proper motivations and emotions down the road, but until they are any fight against them will just be little more than another action scene against a slightly tougher opponent. That just lacks drama, IMO. I'd much prefer fight scenes with complex characters and motivations that aren't totally black-and-white.

And it'd be fair if this were the first fight between them, and Teresa gets away for another conflict down the road. That'd give them time to flesh-out these characters as well as Teresa and Clair. But if they fight again and these antagonists are still as flat, it'd be much harder to forgive.
Old 2007-05-17, 18:13   Link #68
LCeh

Quote:
The problem is that the show has gone from 'gripping character and relationship analysis coupled with great story-telling' in one episode to 'standard action fare' in the next. I mean, I get that these new characters are distinct, but there's very little to them at this stage. They're motivated by a job, have no background and, at this stage, are only really there to provide a conflict for Teresa. I mean, there's no reason why they won't be developed into real characters with proper motivations and emotions down the road, but until they are any fight against them will just be little more than another action scene against a slightly tougher opponent. That just lacks drama, IMO. I'd much prefer fight scenes with complex characters and motivations that aren't totally black-and-white.

And it'd be fair if this were the first fight between them, and Teresa gets away for another conflict down the road. That'd give them time to flesh-out these characters as well as Teresa and Clair. But if they fight again and these antagonists are still as flat, it'd be much harder to forgive.
I think that in an action series, there will always be highs and lows of story telling and character development. It is not quite possible to achieve constant peaks of both in every episode. Episode 6 was purely a character developing episode with very little action, but episode 7 is more about the story telling. If you are expecting some great character development in every single episode, then this series might not be that enjoyable to you, cause there will be episodes like this where it's more about the story and action than the characters.

But either way, I think Claymore is an exceptional action/shounen series, especially compared to the more current ones.
Old 2007-05-17, 18:14   Link #69
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:

If they are canon fodder then there is no need to flesh out thier background and motivation.

if they important recurring characters then we will see more of their background and development of their character.
Old 2007-05-17, 18:34   Link #70
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
If they are canon fodder then there is no need to flesh out thier background and motivation.

if they important recurring characters then we will see more of their background and development of their character.
If they are cannon fodder, then that's fair enough. Fights against cannon fodder just bore me, though. It's action for the sake of action, which isn't the reason why I watch series like this.
Old 2007-05-17, 19:22   Link #71
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinaThePrince
I haven't watched or read Berserk yet, but I do think that constantly comparing Claymore to it and judging it by Berserk's standards is not only irritating but also pointless.
Anh_Minh and I haven't done this in this thread. True, we brought up Berserk, but only to point out that even though we're not fans of it, we still like Claymore. Effectively, we're pointing out that these two shows work quite differently despite their apparent similarities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
Action packed ep for sure, but I'm not a huge fan of this style of action, where actual fighting is substituted for effects and blur lines and stuff like that. Sort of cheapens the whole thing, IMO. Oh well, I'm not really an action fan to begin with.
I sort of agree with this. I'm not too fond of the style of direction wherein a lot of still frames and implied motion is used to substitute actually animating a fight sequence. This (and poor choreography) are largely the reasons why I'm not much of an action fan anymore. In Claymore episode 6, I think that the creators did a relatively decent job of working around the limitations of the style, so it's a bit more entertaining than most action sequences of this nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35
Priscilla did remind me a LOT of a lot of the typical shounen hero-esque types. She's young, idealistic, and very strong. So much so that she gets promoted to #2 within just a few months. Typical story arc of most hero types - they become insanely strong within a fraction of the time and they do their best to uphold the 'values' they believe in. Then she was sent after a traitor considered to be the strongest Claymore ever at that time. Heck, she even gave Teresa a 'justice speech'! I was lol'ing for a minute there, especially with Teresa's response back to her, which really made her out to be a villian to Priscilla.
This is a very good point. In most shows, Priscilla's attitude would be a major advantage (and sometimes the shounen fighting protagonist's only real merit). Here, it feels more as if she will either have to change to become more accomodating, or her fanaticism will lead her to a very bad end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of Sierra
What I liked most about it is that Irene (No.2) was very businesslike in her treatment of their mission. She was not about to let the show turn on a 1on1 fight and instead decided that "teamwork" is much better against a strong opponent. What a refreshing idea that is considering this is shounen. (where people are supposed to get cocky thinking that if they just try and persevere then a fight can be won.)
I feel as if it's slightly mocking other shounen action shows: "What kind of fool sits around taking on the bad guy in one on one fights when you have a numerical advantage? Doesn't it make more sense to take her on all at once?"
Old 2007-05-17, 20:03   Link #72
Grey

Quote:
If they are cannon fodder, then that's fair enough. Fights against cannon fodder just bore me, though. It's action for the sake of action, which isn't the reason why I watch series like this.
No no, it's the yoma who are cannon fodder. Teresa vs. #2-#5 is more like a boss battle. And if some of #2-#5 seem a bit weak or undeveloped...well, not everyone can be the over-powered and recurring arch-rival, after all.

As for it being action for the sake of action...I'm not quite sure what you mean. The conflict clearly follows from Teresa's conduct. Moreover, the series features people raised and altered to fight monsters, so combat is going to be a major part of the story. Heck, I'd say that 65% of the series takes place in a combat situation, and 35% is a lead-up to a combat situation.
Old 2007-05-17, 20:27   Link #73
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman
You see a sudden movie like slow motion of the action and see Theresa's sword grazing pricillia's cheek accompanied by a nifty soundeffect. Right after that the slow motion changes to real time again and only then you realise how freaking fast they were moving.

This is a way of showing action which you normally encounter a lot in hongkong action movies. They must have really spend quite some budget on this episode.
Interesting that you should compare the action with HK-style slo-mo action. That may in fact partly explain why I'm not particularly "wowed" by the action in this episode. It's a matter of personal taste really, rather than a direct criticism of the action cheoragraphy in this episode.

The predominant trend in most HK-style action films nowadays is towards flashy, over-the-top "wire-fu", vs authentic martial arts combat. The last movie I've seen that featured true martial arts was Huo Yuanjia, purportedly Jet Li's "last" martial-arts film.

Sure, the Claymores move at superhuman speeds, and are capable of superhuman feats of strength and agility. But on-screen, all I see are blurs of "super-fast" animation, which in my opinion, cheapens the action actually. I don't "see" the skill, if you get what I mean. What I see instead, is lots of special effects.

Don't get me wrong -- the action as presented in this episode is well done, or I wouldn't have rated Episode 7 highly at all. But, frankly, this is not the kind of action that excites me at all. What I'd really like to see are battles of skills and tactical wits. More brains than brawns, if you will.
Old 2007-05-17, 20:30   Link #74
grss1982

I think the manga readers should put those guys above -- who are talking about priscila's future role in the series -- out of thier misery.

OK i'm through with my RANT.

Nice episode, BTW. Hope the anime gets better and better. :-)

On another note, has it been really confirmed that this anime will only run for 26 episodes?
Old 2007-05-17, 20:46   Link #75
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

Well comparing the amount of Manga they can adapt into each episode of the anime, 26 could get them pretty well caught up, and then they would have to stop. Claymore is a monthly, so it would be impossible to continue with a weekly anime. Wonder if they'll do the now standerd Hot Springs filler episode?
Old 2007-05-17, 20:52   Link #76
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Oooh yes! Hot springs for the win! It wouldn't be shounen anime without it.

Plus, we get to finally see what's so gross about Claymore bodies.......
Old 2007-05-17, 21:10   Link #77
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Out of all the episodes of Claymore I have watched this one was the best by far . Ilena stole the show from the Gorilla and the Monkey . Yes the Yoma were cannon fodder , they themselves say it even a single one of them could have handled it easily . Once again thanks to Eclipse for bringing out quality subs and fast .
Old 2007-05-17, 21:23   Link #78
Lendial

what an incredible ep, this single ep has been more exciting than 4 weeks worth of naruto and 2 weeks of bleach. it kinda looks like the girls are about to go bankai or something.
Old 2007-05-17, 21:26   Link #79
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I do second what you said . Just the intro of Ilena and Co. stole the show from Bleach and Naruto hands down. Also the pacing is very good you never feel the show is dragging on : )
Old 2007-05-17, 21:29   Link #80
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

So I'm not alone in wanting to see that.

As for battles with more skill and wits...I'd say you'd have to be pretty skillful to stop someone who is known as 'Flash Sword Irene' even after you'd let her build momentum. And what's not skillful and witty about Teresa realizing in mid-battle that while Priscilla's Youki-hiding ability was superb that her overall sword skill was far lower than Irene's and using that to gain an advantage quickly enough to end what would have been a really bad fight for her.

And Irene's battle sense is top notch, berating Priscilla for trying to settle an execution of an extrememly powerful fighter one-on-one she knows personally can outdo the entire Claymore organization any day of the week. Priscilla was far too idealistic to have been put in that sort of position in the first place (fault: Org).
Closed Thread