AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-05-24, 13:09   Link #41
arcadeplayer987

Yeah, but celeron don't give you any upgrate choice in the future.

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-29, 05:36   Link #42
aeriolewinters
Gin-Sama no Tameni!

Send a message via Yahoo to aeriolewinters
If you're so intent on saving money try a Pentium E2xxx. But if you have enough will and money, try a C2QEE.
Old 2007-06-03, 00:26   Link #43
Jaymz
Art imitates life

Send a message via ICQ to Jaymz
The only reason to buy a Celeron processor, is if you're building a dedicated box for a specific purpose, and CPU usage isn't going to be all that important - ie, a home fileserver, or a test machine for running websites, etc.

For anything else, the Celeron sucks and here's why:

Basically, the Celeron is a crippled Pentium 4. The Pentium 4 itself already has issues where to be even remotely useful, it needs to have super fast access to your RAM - hence why it's loaded with cache, and why Intel's memory/cache controller chipsets are the best in the industry: they need to be, in order for the Pentium 4 to actually work.

When you buy a Celeron, it's a Pentium 4 without enough cache. Hence, all the apparent design flaws of the Pentium 4 come to bear, because it hasn't got the speed to fill it's ridiculously long pipeline.

When you use a machine for a specific purpose, you can get away with its' inefficiencies. When you use it for a general purpose desktop, it will suck all manner of ass.

Friends don't let friends buy Celerons.
Jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 03:20   Link #44
krysinello
Sousuke Sagara

Send a message via MSN to krysinello
Don't go Celeron, they suck. I'd go for an Athlon 64 x2 or a core 2 duo, Pentium D at the bare minimum. They are cheap now and offer good performance.
krysinello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 01:07   Link #45
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Like Jaymz says.. .if you're building a single purpose box of some kind, then Celerons have their uses.

The real "fail" for Celeron is that you can get an AMD64 that kicks much larger butt for the same price range.... a low speed Celeron *might* be an answer if you're trying to build a fanless PC.

But the question that ALL of these threads usually crash on is this one: What are you going to be using the computer for? Do you need it to be upgradeable for a few years? Does it need to be ultra-quiet? Portable?

Answer that and *then* decide how you want to allocate $$$ for hardware.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 01:52   Link #46
theDarkHorse
at what speed must i live

The new "Pentiums" E2xxx based off Conroe are fairly good, actually. I think they've been crippled though with 1MB L2 cache, but then again it doesn't seem to be affected by it too much in benchmarks.

Any chance of getting one of those Conroe Pentiums to run fanless?
theDarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 13:13   Link #47
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Haven't tried one of those yet.... basically you're buying into "Huge Freaking Fins" when trying to build a fanless PC. My budget has been tight lately for just "trying stuff".

Phantom makes a kickass 500W fanless power supply. There are some very large lowspeed case fans that are barely noticeable (special fanblade design and liquid bearings). Decent video cards exist that are fanless.
The cpu fan remains the nastiest culprit .... there are some piped fin kits that reduce the noise (sends heat to a large fan) or of course water cooled radiators.
Using lower speed DVD units and rubber grommets on lower speed high-end fluid bearing hard drives helps.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-06-05 at 15:31.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-05, 05:28   Link #48
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDarkHorse View Post
The new "Pentiums" E2xxx based off Conroe are fairly good, actually. I think they've been crippled though with 1MB L2 cache
If you think that's crippled then you haven't seen the celeron D400 series CPU's which only have 512KB L2 cache now that is what you'd call crippled.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote