AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2009-01-18, 14:04   Link #181
Wargumm1i
Jinchuuriki

Quote:
Originally Posted by recursion View Post
For me, that doesn't really explain why nobody has thought to mention it. I mean, it seems like the sort of thing that would come up, unless there was a reason not to talk about it.

I suppose that it is also possible that Nagi's arrival was known, and Obaa and co. arranged to have all the parents (including Nagi's dad) away from the island while the whole thing got sorted out. Then the reason the maidens might not have mentioned anything is that their parents haven't been away for that long, and they expect them to be back soon.

Still, you'd think one of them would explain it.
Well I guess, or the author was just building up tension for it to be revealed later, or just to lazy to reveal it
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 15:35   Link #182
Beo
where's the snow?

I think that the parents are there and just watching things from the background based from the scene on last page of Ch 16. Its a small island and all the adults treat the children as their own and the children are use to seeing all the adults as a parent figure.
Beo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 16:36   Link #183
recursion
running out of stack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
Well I guess, or the author was just building up tension for it to be revealed later, or just to lazy to reveal it
I meant: you'd think one of them would mention where their parents are if it wasn't some kind of secret. One that we'll find out later.
recursion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 02:10   Link #184
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat

Concerning parents, I don't think they will come into the story since these three priestess had already been given as tribute to the dragon god therefore their ownership(can't really find a better word to explain) had been transfered from their parents to priesthood.

As for Nagi's father, well the calling not by god but by HR department of his company took him to NYC at the last minute.
Old 2009-01-19, 08:07   Link #185
Direwolf18

Speaking of Nagi's father, how much of an idea of whats going on do you think he has? Nagi's mother must have known about the Dragon God thing and put 2 and 2 together, and if she knew she was dying would have probaly exacted some kind of promise from the father to return to the island with Nagi when he was old enough. I could see both the parents not being thrilled with the idea of their son being raised as a living god on the island, I imagine it would have given him not only a big ego, but a host of other quirks as well.
Direwolf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 08:23   Link #186
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf18 View Post
Speaking of Nagi's father, how much of an idea of whats going on do you think he has? Nagi's mother must have known about the Dragon God thing and put 2 and 2 together, and if she knew she was dying would have probaly exacted some kind of promise from the father to return to the island with Nagi when he was old enough. I could see both the parents not being thrilled with the idea of their son being raised as a living god on the island, I imagine it would have given him not only a big ego, but a host of other quirks as well.
From here it becomes pure speculations since we really do not know what had been discussed between the parents or if she even knew that Nagi was the reincarnated dragon god.
According to Nagi, it was father's idea that they move to the island next door to oba's house.
Oba did not know about Nagi until he moved in judging from Oba's questions when they spoke at the shrine so it could not have been forced by oba nor by the other elders of the island.
It's pretty dificult to speculate if Nagi's mother could have known if Nagi could be the reincarnated dragon god even if she was a priestess since move out of the island and was in Tokyo when she gave birth to Nagi so it's pretty much up for grabs if it was planned or if it was just a coincidence that Nagi found himself in his present status.
Old 2009-01-20, 16:31   Link #187
recursion
running out of stack

The more I think about it, the less likely I think it is that Nagi is there at exactly the right time, without his father, by pure coincidence. I think Nagi was born off-island, but Nagi's mom understood the significance of his birth and made the Dad promise to send him back to the island alone when he was 17. Nagi's Dad did this by telling Nagi that they were moving there together, but secretly arranging to be elsewhere.

...and I still think that it is not a coincidence that none of the main characters' parents are around while all this is going on.

The whole manga is so wonderfully sweet, with such nice characters, that I worry there is a dark secret at the heart of it that is going to knock us all on our asses when it is revealed to us. The sort of thing that makes you rethink the entire story, and completely changes your understanding of the characters you like.
Old 2009-01-20, 20:27   Link #188
Direwolf18

Yea I agree, the human sacrifice thing they mentioned earlier where they would toss the maidens into the sea or something along those lines put my teeth on edge. I get the sneaky suspicion there are some more secrets on the island, we have yet to actually see what the dragon god is supposed to do beyond being a boyfriend/husband to the maidens.
Direwolf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 05:53   Link #189
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Putting aside the darker theme of the story, I love it ^^

I'm a sucker for sappy romance, and the ocean scenery of the country side is such an eye opener for me. I'm really glad i found this series ^^

I love, Straw Hats, White Summer Dresses and the Ocean... *drool*

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 22:15   Link #190
passin'gass
Cropduster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf18 View Post
Yea I agree, the human sacrifice thing they mentioned earlier where they would toss the maidens into the sea or something along those lines put my teeth on edge. I get the sneaky suspicion there are some more secrets on the island, we have yet to actually see what the dragon god is supposed to do beyond being a boyfriend/husband to the maidens.
I'm just theorizing but as the Dragon God, Nagi may be required to 'receive' the sacrifice....the maiden probably has to kill herself with a knife in his presence, like those 'finger offerings as apology' that the Yakuza do.
passin'gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 22:26   Link #191
recursion
running out of stack

Ok, now that's just gross.
Old 2009-01-21, 22:42   Link #192
Newhope

I think he'll have to sacrifice himself to save the island or something along those lines is more likely, the manga's just to light hearted to include anything more than self sacrifice .
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 23:10   Link #193
recursion
running out of stack

I think it is more likely that the maidens will end up sacrificing something important, up to and including their lives. Nagi just wouldn't have the same emotional kick. We effectively see everything through his eyes. Him dying would just be a fade-to-black. Him observing one or more maidens dying would be hell.

Something relatively light would be if the two maidens he does not pick are not considered maidens anymore. Heartbreak at the loss of the role they've played since childhood, but mixed with a new sense of freedom.

One or more of them could definitely die protecting the island.

I think maidens always dying in or shortly after childbirth could explain a few things. I would assume that the maidens all know this if it is true. That means the one who accepts his favour is knowingly sacrificing herself to have his child. This could get darker if it were revealed that the maidens had been forbidden to tell this to Nagi until after he had impregnated one of them, thus making him an unwitting participant in their eventual death. Nagi always agonizes over whether he is doing the wrong thing by participating in the ritual even now, when it only involves kissing, so knowing that his "favour" had killed the maiden he loved best would be torture.

I really, really hope the manga stays sweet and nice, though, and sticks with honourable self-sacrifice if someone ends up having to die.
Old 2009-01-21, 23:15   Link #194
passin'gass
Cropduster

Taking the manga's theme into consideration, with a firm eye on the author's previous work Ai Yori Aoshi, also the islander's fanaticism towards their religion...it can happen.

Question is, as Newhope stated, will the Dragon God kill himself instead? Or elope with the sacrificial maiden (or all three of them?)

I have a gut feeling that everything will hinge on Soyogi, the most dogmatic of the three maidens.

But i do hope that this manga stays light and sweet to the (harem) end.

Last edited by passin'gass; 2009-01-21 at 23:18. Reason: changed fanatic to dogmatic
passin'gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 18:11   Link #195
drpassafiume

Ok guys... About the whole "Human Sacrifice" thing...
They were talking about the maidens having to "Throw themselves into the ocean" right? And all for the sake of the "Dragon God"
Didn't this happen in the 1ST ISSUE!
Nagi fell off the cliff face at Umi no Misaki and Shizuku threw herself off the cape... into the ocean... for the sake of the dragon god... sound familiar?
I thought of that First when they were talking about it later and said to myself... "hmmm... that will be significant somehow"

Who wants to bet me that I'm wrong? Any takers? I'll give good odds, and I'll throw in the brooklyn bridge also, as a treat!
drpassafiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 22:55   Link #196
Beo
where's the snow?

Do not think its going toward that dark stuff. Previous stuff from the author tended to more in personal interactions and relationships. I think the worst your going to see is a kick in the groin
Beo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 23:07   Link #197
Wargumm1i
Jinchuuriki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo View Post
Do not think its going toward that dark stuff. Previous stuff from the author tended to more in personal interactions and relationships. I think the worst your going to see is a kick in the groin
Lol or proof he isint Dragon god, and he gets banished and the girls decided to follow him Lol.
Old 2009-01-22, 23:24   Link #198
recursion
running out of stack

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpassafiume View Post
Ok guys... About the whole "Human Sacrifice" thing...
They were talking about the maidens having to "Throw themselves into the ocean" right? And all for the sake of the "Dragon God"
Didn't this happen in the 1ST ISSUE!
Nagi fell off the cliff face at Umi no Misaki and Shizuku threw herself off the cape... into the ocean... for the sake of the dragon god... sound familiar?
Actually, I like that. Shizuku already sacrificed herself to save the dragon god. I would not be the least bit surprised to have that play into things later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo View Post
Whew! I'm all for groin-related humour.
Old 2009-01-23, 20:41   Link #199
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat

I really do not think this manga will go that far.

As for Shizuku jumping into to save Nagi, it's before she found out that he is the Dragon God. She also replies to Nagi that it would be her fate is she dies in trying to save Nagi meaning she would have done it to anyone.

Anyways here is this week's highlight.

Spoiler for Ep 42 "History":
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 22:22   Link #200
Wargumm1i
Jinchuuriki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
I really do not think this manga will go that far.

As for Shizuku jumping into to save Nagi, it's before she found out that he is the Dragon God. She also replies to Nagi that it would be her fate is she dies in trying to save Nagi meaning she would have done it to anyone.

Anyways here is this week's highlight.

Spoiler for Ep 42 "History":
Ya i do wonder what happens next, but even if a pray it might not be the one i hope for. XXX

Tags
ecchi, harem, romance, rural, seinen