AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2009-04-22, 07:20   Link #301
ReddyRedWolf

Well there are two prerequisites for a dragon god's identity.

1. The dragon god is born from a priestess of the island.

2. The dragon god is always born on the same date.

It just so happens Nagi's mom married to an outsider.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 07:24   Link #302
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by recursion View Post
Gotta disagree with you on this one. We can see in the bottom frame here that it has been "hundreds of years" since there was an incarnation of the dragon god. So unless there is something mysterious in the Japanese source (always possible), there is nobody living on the island who has seen an incarnation before. They just know the day of the year that the previous incarnation died.

Of course, this information is right beside Karin's half-naked ass, and right before a fully naked waist-up shot. One might be forgiven for being distracted.
There is also the possibility that Karin wasn't informed about the turth of the prior dragon god.
Old 2009-04-22, 07:33   Link #303
Arturro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
The oral tradition and what she had been told is about "HOW" the dragon god is reincarnated not who it was.
She probably met the prior dragon god 18 years ago before Nagi was born.
if you are right that means intensive inbreeding. Maidens, per definition, are Dragon God wives. At least one of them, is his wife. So all maidens ang DG are very close family. Also, beeing a DG is a very stresfull live - each pregnancy of ones wife, or other Maidens could be DG endline. So statisticaly DGs lives are short - 25-40 years at best. So I've tip for Nagi - USE CONDOM!
Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 07:55   Link #304
Direwolf18

Its a small island of at most a couple thousand people, probably not even that many seeing the size of the school. This community has existed for at least hundreds of years maybe even longer. I think its a fair guess that EVERYONE is related. Its a pretty small gene pool.
Direwolf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 07:58   Link #305
Direwolf18

I dont recall them saying there was a max number of maiden positions, and if so it being 3. There might be a maiden of Earth or something if there was a 4th one. Seeing as they go by elements, that kinda makes sense.
Old 2009-04-22, 08:06   Link #306
recursion
running out of stack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
There is also the possibility that Karin wasn't informed about the turth of the prior dragon god.
That seems unlikely to me.

If the new DG has to be born to a Maiden on the exact day that the old one dies -- the exact same day -- then any time that did not happen, the DG line would end. Not sustainable. Being born on the same day of the year makes more sense. Given the small population of the island, one would expect it to take hundreds of years for a boy to be born to a Maiden on the same day of the year that the previous DG died.
recursion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 08:49   Link #307
Arturro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf18 View Post
Its a small island of at most a couple thousand people, probably not even that many seeing the size of the school. This community has existed for at least hundreds of years maybe even longer. I think its a fair guess that EVERYONE is related. Its a pretty small gene pool.
It's a small island, but there are other islands in close proximity. And marriages with people from outside should happen. Probably residens from close islands aren't considered as outsiders, especially those with relatives on Okitsu.

Quote:
I dont recall them saying there was a max number of maiden positions, and if so it being 3. There might be a maiden of Earth or something if there was a 4th one. Seeing as they go by elements, that kinda makes sense.
IMHO dragon god himself represents earth element. Importance of maidens and DG relates to fear caused by each of elements. Earthquake is most terryfing - so DG is most important. Many of inhabitants are fishermen, so Sea Maiden protect them from storms. Then goes typhoons and last - fires.

@recursion
I think alike.
Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 09:30   Link #308
passin'gass
Cropduster

I'm leaning towards recursion's version...the last DG died long ago, and the cape maidens since then have assumed the role till they reach a certain age...probably 19, then pass on the role to a new generation (and start living a normal life).

And this is probably how Nagi's mom was able to leave the island and meet/make her destiny.

Of course, the other theories being put forth are also valid. I really wish I had a better understanding of the cultural and religious nuances of this story...I get the feeling i'm only seeing the glass half-full
passin'gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 11:35   Link #309
recursion
running out of stack

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the middle frame here has Kisaragi-sensei talking about the DG appearing "once every several hundred years".

I think we can safely assume that there had not been a DG incarnation for a very long time before Nagi.
Old 2009-04-22, 12:23   Link #310
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

the elemental idea would have merit if japan (and most other oriental cultures) only had 4 prime elements. They actually have 5 earth, water, fire, wind and void. sometimes wind and void are replaced by wood and metal (gold) in other oriental cultures. It comes from buddhist and daoist beliefs . A good classical example of this might be the book of 5 rings by miyamoto musashi or the chinese zodiac which pairs an animal with an element. Just for the sake of argument I would say if nagi is any element he is void which represents sky and heaven and is also that perfect state of nothing that people seek when they meditate.....
Old 2009-04-22, 22:00   Link #311
Direwolf18

Whose to say the don't even more maiden slots? The population on the island is in evidence of decreasing, a lot of old people and few young. As the population shrinks makes sense that there will be less maidens.
Old 2009-04-23, 00:34   Link #312
GreydonCreed

Question - Is Umi no Misaki on hiatus in Japan? Reason I ask is that I have ordered Young Animal magazine (due to the delay in scanlations, even though I can't read it, I figured I can kinda see where everything is going).

I was able to get issues # 6 & 7 for this year (at US$4.50 a copy), and there is no sign of UnM. Does someone know when it will be returning? Once I know, I can sign up for a subscription of the magazine.

The silver lining to this is that via YA I have discovered the Futari Ecchi/Step Up Love Story/Manga Sutra series. I recommend watching the OVAs.

Look forward to seeing the discussions for UnM here on this BB (largest group I've found for this story).
GreydonCreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 06:56   Link #313
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreydonCreed View Post
Question - Is Umi no Misaki on hiatus in Japan? Reason I ask is that I have ordered Young Animal magazine (due to the delay in scanlations, even though I can't read it, I figured I can kinda see where everything is going).

I was able to get issues # 6 & 7 for this year (at US$4.50 a copy), and there is no sign of UnM. Does someone know when it will be returning? Once I know, I can sign up for a subscription of the magazine.

The silver lining to this is that via YA I have discovered the Futari Ecchi/Step Up Love Story/Manga Sutra series. I recommend watching the OVAs.

Look forward to seeing the discussions for UnM here on this BB (largest group I've found for this story).
Nope it will be published tomorrow.
The interesting characteristic of Young Animal, the magazine this manga is published is that they rotate manga every issue so a chapter is not issued into every issue.
This gives the manga author a break and the magazine can publish have a larger variety of stories at any given time.
Old 2009-04-23, 07:08   Link #314
recursion
running out of stack

39 is out. Karin arc...go!

I could have done without the Rinne service.
Old 2009-04-23, 14:46   Link #315
Beo
where's the snow?

46 -

Nagi bar the door, here they come.

Well sort of, as soon as they get untangled.
Beo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 15:49   Link #316
Dark Mage

Karin was so cute this chapter wondering about this and that lol
Dark Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 16:03   Link #317
recursion
running out of stack

Umi No Miskaki: Lesbian Bondage Chapter

I predict next chapter has them tired and sniping at each other, and Nagi tells them to cut it out. As soon as we saw them going public in 44, I figured we'd be heading here.

Or, some other event could distract them. It's about time to shake things up a bit.

Nagi /could/ kick them out of the house if they get too obnoxious. Either way, unless some other plot direction comes up, they will probably work out a way to "share" Nagi fairly and we'll be back to 3-chapter Maiden "dates".

Kaito said that all of the outsiders leave within a month. How long has it been? I'm wondering if that was foreshadowing. The last, oh, 5 or 6 chapters have been a single day: "date" with Shizuku at the school, coming home to the kiss from Karin, dinner, cleaning up from dinner, and now that night. I haven't counted, but my sense is that it hasn't been more than a couple of weeks since Nagi arrived. It may have been barely a week!

Day 1 (ch 1-3): meet Shizuki, Karin, and Rinne.

Day 2 (ch 3-6): get arm bent by Soyogi, go for walk with Rinne, see Karin in ocean

Day 3/8 (ch 7-9): festival, told is DG

The problem here is that we don't know how much time is between Day 2 and this day. It begins in the morning as Shizuku clearly comes out at sunrise. Kisaragi-sensei says they "stopped ferry service a week ago". This either means that it is at least Day 8, or it means that there is a mystery. Nagi does seem very surprised when told they stopped ferry service...does this mean that perhaps the ferry he came in on was run just for him? I've put an "n/m" on the day to indicate the different hypotheses. It is hard to imagine that too much in-world time has gone by without any chapters...Nagi just kept going to school for a week with Shizuku not acknowledging him, and there was no drama to write of?

Day 4/9 (ch 10-13): Karin in morning, Shizuku and Karin in evening, both stay over

Day 5/10 (ch 14-17): Stop honorifics, swimming, welcome party
It is actually not completely clear that 14 and 15 are the same day, but we'll assume they are. We do know at this point that it has been less than a month since Nagi came, probably much less. Otherwise Kaito would not have made that comment. It also lends credence to the likelihood of not much time before the festival, since we find out that his classmates have not spoken to him at all before the party, to the extent that he does not know their names and has to be introduced! How long could that have realistically gone on for. Would Shizuhe have bothered to scold him for talking to Shizuku if a week has passed since he had called out her name? No, I think this really could be day 5, and we have a ferry mystery.

Day 6/11 (ch 18): last day of school, Karin plans first "date".
There could be an arbitrary amount of time between the previous chapter and this one. As usual, we'll assume minimal amounts. Now that I think of it, there /can't/ be any intervening days, or Soyogi would have had at least one day taking care of Nagi. So I think the timeline between 4/9 and here is contiguous.

Day 7/12 (ch 19-21): Karin's date, Soyogi tries to jump Nagi, tells him the plan

Day 8/13 (ch 22-25): Soygi in morning, plushies @ Shizuku's at night + kiss

Day 9/14 (ch 26-27): Cohabitation circus.
Nagi & Shizuku's reaction to each other tells us this is the next morning.

Day 10/15 (ch 28-35): Very, very long day.
Soygi's morning run, Karin's work date + kiss, Shizuku's ocean date + kiss, Kisaragi-sensei's foolery and revelation. Various clues in here ensure that this is indeed the very next day.

Day 11/16 (ch 36-38): Soyogi again tries to jump Nagi, then slips him some tongue.
Also, apparently Shizuhe has the hots for Soyogi. Nothing in here guarantees contiguous days, but it is difficult to imagine uneventful days at Nagi's house. Also, Nagi thinks about his conversation with Kisaragi-sensei from Day 10/15.

Day 12/17 (ch 39-41): Karin scared of Nagi's awesome DG wang, kiss @ Temple.
2nd in an apparent series of "relate to the DG" dates. Nothing guaranteeing contiguous days other than the unlikelihood of a day with nothing to write about.

Day 13/18 (ch 42-46): Another long day. Shizuku, dinner throwdown, then night bondage.
3rd and final "relate to the DG" date, Shizuku's turn. Can't read the Japanese, so I don't know what evidence exists for contiguous days.

Either way, we're about halfway through the month. I am wondering if we are about to hit some less fun times, and end with both Kisaragi-sensei and Nagi leaving the island as foretold by Kaito.

Edit: fixed day for festival

Last edited by recursion; 2009-04-23 at 16:15. Reason: Correction.
Old 2009-04-23, 17:18   Link #318
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo View Post
46 -

Nagi bar the door, here they come.

Well sort of, as soon as they get untangled.
It would have been funny if the three caught Nagi half way at the kitchen trying to sneak-in to thier room.
Old 2009-04-23, 17:38   Link #319
Beo
where's the snow?

Would also give him thoughts of questioning of what these girls are thinking if he came out and saw them that way. The last frame makes me wounder what Shizuku is going to wake up to.

I think the next that is going to happen is the existence of the DG becoming public knowledge and everyone comes to see; up to now, only a few knows what he is there. It would become very awkward for them to be seen in public if he became known for what he is. Would also put a big crimp in them all being in the same house together. Wounder if they set up a betting pool on who wins.
Beo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 19:43   Link #320
recursion
running out of stack

The author seems to have trouble keeping Karin's boobs small. In some panels they are significantly smaller than the other two's, then she'll suddenly jump two cup sizes in the next panel.

I love how Shizuku falls right asleep again. She also seems to be able to sense when one of the others is sneaking off, even though she usuallly doesn't wake up very quickly.

Tags
ecchi, harem, romance, rural, seinen