AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-09-03, 18:22   Link #861
wingman32x
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Age: 24
Good chapter. I was surprised that Mike was so perceptive. She pretty much nailed Shizuku's personality, and she only just got to know her. She did bring up one good topic though. How awesome is Shizuku going to be once she becomes less reserved? I can't wait for that.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-03, 18:26   Link #862
cyberdemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
Good chapter. I was surprised that Mike was so perceptive. She pretty much nailed Shizuku's personality, and she only just got to know her. She did bring up one good topic though. How awesome is Shizuku going to be once she becomes less reserved? I can't wait for that.
Things are pretty much equal between the 3 with Shizuku being reserved. If she becomes less reserved than this could start being a onesided match between the 3.
cyberdemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-03, 18:30   Link #863
wingman32x
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
Things are pretty much equal between the 3 with Shizuku being reserved. If she becomes less reserved than this could start being a onesided match between the 3.
True, but it's not like we've seen all of Soyogi or Karin either. I'm not saying things will be as even, but the other two will most def. step their game up in turn.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 21:18   Link #864
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
Good chapter. I was surprised that Mike was so perceptive. She pretty much nailed Shizuku's personality, and she only just got to know her. She did bring up one good topic though. How awesome is Shizuku going to be once she becomes less reserved? I can't wait for that.
Too perceptive, a little ex machina. I think it would have been better if she gave us some serious looks in each chapter so you'd have an incline that she isn't just an airhead.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 23:53   Link #865
crossguy
Obdurate.
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Midlandia. Near Scandia.
But Mike has an "adult " viewpoint, and even if she says she figured it out herself, there is an element of off of the island knowledge/culture not confined to the existing characters. As my only point of reference in the authors' character development is a read of Ai yori Aoshi, this seems to fit his writing style.
crossguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 06:21   Link #866
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Getting there
Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
so i guess shizuku will be a little bit more liberal and aggressive due to mike's comments, nagi's in serious deep love sh*t next haha

can't wait for the next chapter
__________________
Ravenblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 22:44   Link #867
mammothb
ここここのバカ犬!!!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Singapore
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to mammothb
I think mike is gonna be like ami in toradora for umi no misaki. Wonder if she has fallen for him yet?
__________________
mammothb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 23:15   Link #868
cyberdemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
so any news on the new chapter?
cyberdemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 08:22   Link #869
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothb View Post
I think mike is gonna be like ami in toradora for umi no misaki. Wonder if she has fallen for him yet?
That is quite plausible actually. But I don't think she will fall for him, at least, she'll try not to.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 16:21   Link #870
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yamoto, Akiba, Log Horizon Guild Hall, Kitchen
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossguy View Post
But Mike has an "adult " viewpoint, and even if she says she figured it out herself, there is an element of off of the island knowledge/culture not confined to the existing characters. As my only point of reference in the authors' character development is a read of Ai yori Aoshi, this seems to fit his writing style.
Agreed on this.

I really enjoyed Ai Yori Aoshi, and it was actually wiki'ing the author that led me to "find" Umi no Misaki some time back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
so any news on the new chapter?
Only thing I have seen is on solaris' twitter page - it is mentioned on the 9th (Sept) that he is waiting for ch. 71 "to show up".
__________________
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 16:47   Link #871
KLGChaos
The Shermain
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Age: 35
If I have one gripe about this manga, it's that it doesn't really seem to go anywhere. Other than that, the characters are great, even if Nagi is a major player.
__________________
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 16:54   Link #872
GrrDraxin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Empire of Lolitannia (as Ambassador)
Age: 35
Send a message via Yahoo to GrrDraxin
Sometimes when a story deems it, going nowhere actually goes quite far... for a strictly romance based story anyway. There's bound to be drama, and I would expect that to come from the parents of the maidens, namely Shizuku and possibly Soyogi. Karin is pretty much covered for being that grandma takes care of her and Rinni.
__________________
GrrDraxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 16:55   Link #873
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yamoto, Akiba, Log Horizon Guild Hall, Kitchen
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
If I have one gripe about this manga, it's that it doesn't really seem to go anywhere. Other than that, the characters are great, even if Nagi is a major player.
Maybe not yet ... to be fair it could be argued that Ai Yori Aoshi didn't really go anywhere for some time as well.

Somehow I think that the author is going to spend some time continuing to develop the characters before "plot events" really begin to kick in.

In my opinion there have been a few "warning signs" of possible conflicts coming up - on a small level in the person of the main characters classmates in school and on a larger level in the "mythological aspects" behind the Dragon God and the Shrine Maidens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrrDraxin View Post
Sometimes when a story deems it, going nowhere actually goes quite far... for a strictly romance based story anyway. There's bound to be drama, and I would expect that to come from the parents of the maidens, namely Shizuku and possibly Soyogi. Karin is pretty much covered for being that grandma takes care of her and Rinni.
Good call on the parents of Shizuku and Soyogi as possible sources for drama - hadn't thought of them....

Still I think it will be some time until they pop up.... Personally I like the slow pace and the slow character development, and in some ways I think it is kind of deliberate - a "match" to what life on the small island is supposed to be like somewhat.

In many ways this is part of what appeals to me - having both visited and even lived for some time on a small island like Okitsu I have been impressed with the author's ability to capture the feel of life there in the illustrations and even the ... "ambiance" I guess of the manga. Not an easy thing to do.

But such things do not appeal to everyone, I guess.
__________________
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 19:48   Link #874
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
If I have one gripe about this manga, it's that it doesn't really seem to go anywhere. Other than that, the characters are great, even if Nagi is a major player.
Don't worry...when the shit will hit the fan.

And Nagi is one of the best protags ever.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-12, 09:06   Link #875
AlaAlba
...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Spoiler for 71:
AlaAlba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 06:13   Link #876
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Getting there
Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Spoiler for ch44:
__________________
Ravenblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 06:56   Link #877
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Ehh...I'm a little iffy with this arc. I'm not getting what I thought I'd be getting.

And the slow progress with each chapter is starting to get to me as well. I want some action drama!!

Last edited by DragoZERO; 2010-09-13 at 09:14.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 08:57   Link #878
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Aww, finally a page with Rinne and even a panty shot =03. I've been in quite the loli mood recently. Also, Shizuku's new moniker(the cat ears/tail) was REALLY cute !

As far as the pacing goes, I'll agree with Mycanid; I tend to think nothing much of anything would happen on such a small island. With only 4 chars that truly get screen time, with an occasional 1 or 2 extra people here and there, and lack of anything in terms of activities, I would expect things to simply be "mundane"(as mundane as a boy and 3 girls can be anyways).

The grandma seems like she may intervene in some way to get rid of Mike. Perhaps by revealing her location to some reporters?

side note: Kisaragi-sensei hasn't shown up once since she dropped Mike off. What an irresponsible adult! What kind of best friend is she!?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
And the slow progress with each chapter is starting to get to me as well. I want some action!!
what a perv .
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 08:58   Link #879
KLGChaos
The Shermain
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Age: 35
71 is out... Looks like the old person at the end seems to want to take measure to keep Nagi from getting homesick. Oh god, something tells me it's going to head into cult fanatic territory soon, with Nagi being kidnapped or something.
__________________
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 09:14   Link #880
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by klg View Post
71 is out... Looks like the old person at the end seems to want to take measure to keep Nagi from getting homesick. Oh god, something tells me it's going to head into cult fanatic territory soon, with Nagi being kidnapped or something.
I don't know about that. It seemed like she would do something that wouldn't arouse much suspicions. Or maybe she'll get Rinne to use some puppy dog eyes. Seriously though, kidnapping seems a bit much. Unless Mike's the one doing the kidnapping. Or Shizuku (>.>).
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ecchi, harem, romance, rural, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.