AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-05-19, 20:35   Link #1
supperrfreek
Professional Genius

Gundam in the US / Canada

Currently on most basic cable plans there isn't a single network broadcasting any gundam (I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the last time it was on, gundam seed was on at 1 am on fridays on cartoon networks lineup). Is gundam really viewed by US television networks as a "lost cause"?
supperrfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-19, 20:57   Link #2
4Tran

Gundam Seed was very popular in Canada, and Gundam Seed Destiny is currently airing there as well. For the most part, Canadian and American TV markets are very similar, so what's popular in the one is likely to appeal to the other as well. However, the big difference is that the Seed show were given good timeslots and received very little editing (no rayguns).

It's quite likely that Gundam shows can be successful in the US, but the TV executives have to treat it properly. Unfortunately, there isn't a single Gundam TV show out there that has as much broad appeal as Gundam Seed, so if it wasn't very successful, the prospects aren't particularly good for anything else. Another unfortunate note is that American broadcasting standards are getting ever more tight, and it's going to be difficult for shows to make it uncut.
Old 2007-05-19, 21:10   Link #3
supperrfreek
Professional Genius

so your saying that it is somewhat of a lost cause to ask for gundam in the US? How depressing.
Old 2007-05-19, 21:28   Link #4
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by supperrfreek View Post
so your saying that it is somewhat of a lost cause to ask for gundam in the US? How depressing.
Not necessarily, but it's going to require some change in the way Gundam shows are presented. From what I gather, the Cartoon Network's handling of Gundam Seed was atrocious. Hopefully, a different broadcaster would do a better job. The difficult thing is finding a good show to put out there: anything older than G Gundam isn't going to find an audience, there's lots of problems in presenting Turn A, and Seed Destiny is a sequel to a show that wasn't particularly well-received.
Old 2007-05-19, 21:42   Link #5
supperrfreek
Professional Genius

yes, but who else would be in the position to present gundam other than cartoon network and still have their channel offered in a basic cable package?
Old 2007-05-20, 06:53   Link #6
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Currently on most basic cable plans there isn't a single network broadcasting any gundam (I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the last time it was on, gundam seed was on at 1 am on fridays on cartoon networks lineup). Is gundam really viewed by US television networks as a "lost cause"?
In a podcast from 2006 the creators of Toonami said they wanted Gundam to succed so bad because of their personal enjoyment of the genre but countless attempts at making it a ratings success bombed...The sucess of Gundam Wing never carried over to the more realistic UC century and even G Gundam pretty much failed (and it was more fantasy action-based which seems to work on that block)...In short, after Seed failed they basically have said Gundam isn't really in the plans for any future crossovers...They sounded kinda somber but are convinced it won't work for now...

The SEED franchise seems to fall into that limbo of too graphic for the pre-teen//young-teen audience and to soapy for the adult swim audience...
Old 2007-05-20, 09:32   Link #7
supperrfreek
Professional Genius

So then where would it fall, if you were to relate the time of the broadcast to the target audience when would they be showing it? I mean, 1 am isn't the time to be broadcasting that much unless the fan base is incredibly fanatic.
Old 2007-05-20, 15:57   Link #8
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
i think if they marketed something that could be showed during the day timeit would work better, They actually advertised wing heavily, the same with msg. G-gundam, and anything else that came later wasn't advertised that much.

when they aired 0083 and 0080 i had not clue either existed until i was browsing the tv and founf it.
Old 2007-05-20, 16:30   Link #9
supperrfreek
Professional Genius

I never really thought about the advertising campaigns that much, I've heard a lot of stuff like after 9/11 people thought that violent programs weren't the best thing to show kids but I doubt that crap is true.
Old 2007-05-20, 18:51   Link #10
shaolo

Quote:
I never really thought about the advertising campaigns that much, I've heard a lot of stuff like after 9/11 people thought that violent programs weren't the best thing to show kids but I doubt that crap is true.
Of course it was a crappy excuse to take off MSG. It wouldn't kill them to show the last 5 or 4 episodes of MSG.
shaolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-20, 19:04   Link #11
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
So then where would it fall, if you were to relate the time of the broadcast to the target audience when would they be showing it? I mean, 1 am isn't the time to be broadcasting that much unless the fan base is incredibly fanatic.
In all honesty I think Friday nights was it's best timeslot all things considered...Friday is the only non-adult swim night on CN and that one hour of anime that they used to show from Midnight to 1 am didn't fall under Toonami or adult-swim..So they were able to get away with language and violence (They had to do this with IGPX aswell after they got complaints about the language)...But with the price-tag Gundam has I'm sure they wanted more than just a niche audience...Honestly Sci-Fi or Wam would have to buy a CE series to give it a decent timeslot, but again Bandai wants it on the best cartoon station in that country or no station at all it seems...
Old 2007-05-20, 22:08   Link #12
Meehlimo
Gundam Otaku

Send a message via AIM to Meehlimo Send a message via MSN to Meehlimo
Back in 2000 when they aired gundam wing on cartoon network it was a hit the mistake they made was to follow it up with the orginal gundam and g gundam. i personaly like the original i like all gundam but wing was more hardcore and such the other 2 were so radicly different ppl turned face if they had aired say 08th ms team and 0083 then yea prob would have taken off much faster but 08th ms team and 0083 aired in the dying days of gundam in the usa furthermore SDgundam killed it.
Old 2007-05-21, 00:47   Link #13
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
In all honesty I think Friday nights was it's best timeslot all things considered...Friday is the only non-adult swim night on CN and that one hour of anime that they used to show from Midnight to 1 am didn't fall under Toonami or adult-swim..So they were able to get away with language and violence (They had to do this with IGPX aswell after they got complaints about the language)...But with the price-tag Gundam has I'm sure they wanted more than just a niche audience...Honestly Sci-Fi or Wam would have to buy a CE series to give it a decent timeslot, but again Bandai wants it on the best cartoon station in that country or no station at all it seems...
Again, I have to point to Canada where Gundam Seed was a hit: they currently show Seed Destiny at 9:30 pm, and re-run Seed at 11:30 pm - all of it with very few edits, at that. It really suggests that the broadcasting standards in the U.S. are a big impediment to Gundam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meehlimo
Back in 2000 when they aired gundam wing on cartoon network it was a hit the mistake they made was to follow it up with the orginal gundam and g gundam. i personaly like the original i like all gundam but wing was more hardcore and such the other 2 were so radicly different ppl turned face if they had aired say 08th ms team and 0083 then yea prob would have taken off much faster but 08th ms team and 0083 aired in the dying days of gundam in the usa furthermore SDgundam killed it.
I think that a big part of the problem is that Bandai thought that the American audience was similar to the Japanese one. At that point, UC Gundam was the biggest moneymaker, so they thought that it would be best to introduce the universe using Mobile Suit Gundam. It should have been damned obvious that there was no way for a twenty-year old show to gain an audience, especially it'd have such a hard time carrying over the Wing audience.

The best way to take advantage of Wing's success would probably have been to follow up with Gundam X. At least it'd be similar enough that you'd expect to hook a fair amount of Wing's audience. Then again, I don't believe that any Gundam shows were aired in Canadian television between Wing and Seed, so it isn't totally impossible for Gundam to have a revival in the U.S. The main stumbling block might well be the American broadcasting standards.
Old 2007-05-21, 01:22   Link #14
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

well because gs series was too extreme with the language, blood, violence, gore, etc that was omg like gs series is the ecw of animes?

also they include this garbage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Guns the infamous "disco guns" hello this is not the 70s & besides it was the FCC & u.s tv networks had to ruin gs series by showing boring edit version.

you know what i say some network should bring back gs series & this time in it unedited version!!!
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 14:29   Link #15
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Does anyone ever wonder down the road what would be the case with these edits?

I mean for example, let's pick Futurama in which they deploy laser guns.

So how would they edit that?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 19:22   Link #16
supperrfreek
Professional Genius

they don't it's unrealistic enough as it is. I guess they feel that images of guns are just too violent for kids (even though in bugs bunny cartoons there is plenty of guns, grenades and surplus military equipment. I guess it's just another example of American industry failing due to the fact that they have power and want to satisfy only one set of tastes or another, but not everyone's.
Old 2007-05-21, 20:36   Link #17
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

For the same reason that in looney toons, dropping someone off a cliff doesn't have the same effect as dropping someone off a cliff in anime.

In anime, it's an attempt at realism. (Don't say it's not. People bleed, die, etc...) In Looney Toons, if you get an anvil dropped on your head, you get a lump.
Old 2007-05-22, 02:58   Link #18
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

you know what it just the u.s. tv networks & the FCC are f'n screwing the gs series!!!
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 03:05   Link #19
TheRurouni

Quote:
Didn't Adult Swim not air Cowboy Bebop episode 22 (Cowboy Funk) for nearly two years because of the bomber in that episode blowing up those two buildings (which, incidentally, were twin towers)? I definately think there was increased censorship post-9/11 (i.e. not playing Drowning Pool - Bodies on the radio for another example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meehlimo
There is definately some truth to this i think, i know people now that can't stand to watch the dated animation found in Mobile Suit Gundam. I think, following Gundam Wing with 0083 would have had much more success carrying over Wing fans.

Personally, I think censorship is an impediment to the success of gundam in the united states, as it depends on believability and realism. As others have pointed to gundam seed's success in Canada, broadcasting standards here definately seem to have an effect. Also, i simply dont think Cartoon Network is the right way to go at the moment for gundam, as someone previously stated, WAM or scifi could do it more justice (where i live, the several WAM channels, which air shows like Samurai Deeper Kyo and Gokusen, are not basic cable however). I doubt gundam would get censored at all on WAM and i believe it would enjoy as much success as any of the other series they have aired, but once again, this is not a basic cable channel where i live. By airing on such networks, would GSEED or destiny enjoy the success Wing did on CN? no, probably not, but i think its relative success would prove gundam is not a lost cause.
TheRurouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 07:39   Link #20
shaolo

Well GSD is Comcast ON Demand, but it hardly doesn't work half of the time.
shaolo is offline   Reply With Quote