AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

View Poll Results: Nanoha - StrikerS - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 29 27.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 40.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 21.15%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.92%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-06-04, 20:36   Link #1001
Aaron008R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE2003 View Post
In the end, I believe that Nanoha was calm in the beginning, it when she released Rumbling Heart, she decided to "teach them a very brutal lesson" which was uncalled for. I believe that she was angry and disappointed. What teacher wouldn't be after a student just supposedly ignores EVERYTHING that you taught them. She was frustrated and decided to show them a thing or two. Just how nasty she can become if she feels like it. You're definately not going to get the message to them like that. Blast her twice isn't going to make Tea any more obedient than when she was attacking Nanoha full charge. Not to mention that you have Subaru watching her best friend, comrade get completely mangled and destroyed like that. I can't imagine just how much an psychological effect that this will have on Subaru as she looks up to Nanoha greatly. Like a role model. Nanoha's actions may have damaged their relationship....Of course I won't know untill I watch episode 9!!
Here we go again? Chaos, Meophist?

Quote:
Again, I think that Vita and Fate wanted to react but they couldn't as Tea and Subaru wasn't their subordinates, so they were forced to watch this happen. And I think that were scared as well!! They didn't want any of that power that Nanoha was dishing out. Ahh!! Hurry up episode 9!
Baseless. Your warping reality to suit your views. Were doing the 'Nanoha is 100% wrong and she lost control' argument for the umpteenth time. Fate and Vita trust Nanoha's judgment from their experiences together.

I'm really sorry if I'm a bit harsh... I just had a really bad awakening today. It's plainly military. And yes, you should watch episode 9 to see how things work out. Meophist's last post should cool you down. Let's please not blow things out of proportion as it already is.

No matter how wrong the action seemed to be, please remember that insubordination in the military is plaintively unacceptible.

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 20:49   Link #1002
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Again, I think that Vita and Fate wanted to react but they couldn't as Tea and Subaru wasn't their subordinates, so they were forced to watch this happen. And I think that were scared as well!! They didn't want any of that power that Nanoha was dishing out. Ahh!! Hurry up episode 9!
Not really.

As shown in previous episodes, Vita cares about the rookies despite her attitude, especially with Teana and Subaru, who are fellow Stars. However, she has little or no reaction to Nanoha's actions whatsoever, clearly showing that she trusts in Nanoha's judgement. Same goes for Fate, who is at least similar in authority and power to Nanoha, and could've stopped her right then and there. As already pointed out, Fate and Vita are not known for hiding their emotions, if they feel something their faces will show it, and in this case their faces show a certain nonchalance and trust in Nanoha.

Also, Vita and Fate by themselves can subdue Nanoha due to their experience and skills, having fought her before. A low-level non-lethal Crossfire Shoot isn't exactly the scariest attack in the world to a S-class and AAA class mage.

On Perspective: "Depending on who you talk to, twintails are either ponytails multiplied by two, or divided by two.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 21:53   Link #1003
An Hero in Disguise
Human

After so much being said about copying some of the previous lengthy explanation posts everyone is writing their arguments anew I guess what makes people think that Nanoha lost control, gone mad at the rookies etc. is that the change in Ep.8 looks too sudden compared to everything shown in the previous episodes. I'd rather say that the things looked too good for an elite military unit, which caused the impression of Nanoha going overboard in Ep.8. And wasn't she going to blast them anyway in case she didn't intend to lose in the mock battle?
An Hero in Disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 22:28   Link #1004
Icarus
shmupmonkey

The thing is, it is not uncharacteristic of Nanoha to use force when discussion does not work. She did it in season 1, opting to fight to get through to Fate. She did it in season 2, fighting with the Knights and Reinforce when talking failed time and time again. And again in season 3, when Teana was blatantly unable to listen to reason and co-operate when her own feelings were clouding her judgement, making her charge up Phantom Bullet even when Subaru was in the line of fire.

This course of action really isn't surprising given Nanoha's history. What baffles me is people still see her actions at the end of episode 8 as a surprise. What amazes me even more is when people try to argue that Nanoha was angry and not in control, when all the evidence says otherwise.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 23:32   Link #1005
An Hero in Disguise
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
The thing is, it is not uncharacteristic of Nanoha to use force when discussion does not work. She did it in season 1, opting to fight to get through to Fate. She did it in season 2, fighting with the Knights and Reinforce when talking failed time and time again. And again in season 3, when Teana was blatantly unable to listen to reason and co-operate when her own feelings were clouding her judgement, making her charge up Phantom Bullet even when Subaru was in the line of fire.

This course of action really isn't surprising given Nanoha's history. What baffles me is people still see her actions at the end of episode 8 as a surprise. What amazes me even more is when people try to argue that Nanoha was angry and not in control, when all the evidence says otherwise.
Judging on Ep.8 alone it's possible to assume Nanoha's loss of control, though there's some evidence against it people can still argue. Ep.9 shows clearer that she didn't act on a whim then, but probably not everyone has seen it yet.
An Hero in Disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 23:42   Link #1006
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Hero in Disguise View Post
Judging on Ep.8 alone it's possible to assume Nanoha's loss of control, though there's some evidence against it people can still argue. Ep.9 shows clearer that she didn't act on a whim then, but probably not everyone has seen it yet.

People really need to work on the defination of ''loss control"...

She had a plan in mind. Her not going all the way (Cause you KNOW she was holding back, no way Nanoha would do this litte if she wanted to go all out), her binding Subaru and lowering Teana gently proves that she's still in the right mind.

If you CAN control, you're IN control.

You don't even NEED episode 9 to know that... Hell, I don't even need to watch episode 8 to figure that out (It's complicating )
Old 2007-06-05, 01:29   Link #1007
ACE2003

I think most people here are trying to shift the blame on Nanoha, which I believe IMO is incorrect. She bares responsibility for what's she's done and nothing is going to change that for me. IMO I saw her got somewhat mad and frustrated and decided to teach Tea and Subaru a harsh lesson. Untill I see episode 9 for myself, I'm sticking with this! People are acting as if Nanoha ABSOLUTELY didn't do anything wrong. That she had the right to use as much excessive force as necessary to drive the point home. Makes me wonder if she decided to kick up a notch, what would've happen. You don't loose your cool to your subordinates like that, although they were in the wrong. Blasting them to kingdom come won't help the situation IMO. She let their actions get the best of her which caused her to make Tea "cool down"! Hehe!

I can do this all day. My viewpoint on what I saw won't change, untill I see episode 9, so feel free to fire away!!
ACE2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-05, 01:37   Link #1008
ACE2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
The attack did not deal any physical damage to Teana. It was meant to knock her out. A bind would likely just get Teana even more angry and likely to lash out.It's not Nanoha's job to constantly ask her pupils if there are any problems with the training. It's the pupil's job to ask thier teacher/trainer/whatever if they believe there's something wrong.

Teana was complying with the training. To Nanoha, there was no signs of anything going wrong.

I think that attack dealt some serious damage. Maybe as not as much physical, but definately some mental damage. Nanoha's actions made it even worse. Nanoha could've use a shield, bind, any other method to "cool down" Tea, but she didn't. She took out her frustrations on Tea and Subaru for them not complying with her training. She "lost it"!!

As for Nanoha not asking Tea about her training methods, it wouldn't have hurt at all. That's where proper feedback comes in. You just don't take things at face value. Don't be afraid to ask your troop some questions. Tea isn't even Vita's troop yet she seems to know ALOT more about Tea than Nanoha did. It shows that Nanoha wasn't taking the time IMO to make sure that things were indeed okay. No, Nanoha doesn't need to baby her, but she needs to make a conscious effort to make sure that her training is adequate and that her troop is actually learning and benefiting from this, which seems like she wasn't.
Old 2007-06-05, 01:39   Link #1009
ACE2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Yaaa~

Like I've said

You're underestimating their ablilities...
I think you're underestimating Nanoha's abilities! I bet you anything that Nanoha could wipe the floor with Vita easily. Now she may have a tough time with Fate, but I still think Nanoha would win, hands down.
Old 2007-06-05, 01:43   Link #1010
ACE2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Not really.

As shown in previous episodes, Vita cares about the rookies despite her attitude, especially with Teana and Subaru, who are fellow Stars. However, she has little or no reaction to Nanoha's actions whatsoever, clearly showing that she trusts in Nanoha's judgement. Same goes for Fate, who is at least similar in authority and power to Nanoha, and could've stopped her right then and there. As already pointed out, Fate and Vita are not known for hiding their emotions, if they feel something their faces will show it, and in this case their faces show a certain nonchalance and trust in Nanoha.

Also, Vita and Fate by themselves can subdue Nanoha due to their experience and skills, having fought her before. A low-level non-lethal Crossfire Shoot isn't exactly the scariest attack in the world to a S-class and AAA class mage.
All I'm saying with this was the fact that they may have wanted to stop her, but since Tea and Subaru weren't neither Vita or Fate's subordinates, they were left with no choice but to watch. How Nanoha handles this situation, is her business, is what I believe they were thinking. I believe that they should've stepped in, seeing how potentially dangerous the situation was. You don't assume anything like that. I know keep saying this alot, but I will have to see episode 9 to see what Nanoha was thinking and the aftermath of everything.
Old 2007-06-05, 02:09   Link #1011
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
All I'm saying with this was the fact that they may have wanted to stop her, but since Tea and Subaru weren't neither Vita or Fate's subordinates, they were left with no choice but to watch. How Nanoha handles this situation, is her business, is what I believe they were thinking. I believe that they should've stepped in, seeing how potentially dangerous the situation was. You don't assume anything like that. I know keep saying this alot, but I will have to see episode 9 to see what Nanoha was thinking and the aftermath of everything.
But there's no evidence that they wanted to stop Nanoha; they don't step in to do so, because despite how she initially looked, Nanoha was in control of the entire situation. Nanoha blasted Teana with such control that Teana wasn't even remotely injured at all (per Shamal's observation in episode 9), and Nanoha had cushioned Teana's fall on the Wing Road. If there's anyone that Fate and Vita should've stopped, it should've been Teana; her attack could seriously have hurt, or even killed Nanoha in the worse situation, because unlike Nanoha's Crossfire Shoot, Teana's knife was capable of injuring someone (Nanoha BLED when she stopped Teana's attack).

And unfortunately, military discipline requires such harsh examples to drill the consequences of reckless action into trainees. I've heard my elder brother's stories in the four years he was in the Philippine Military Academy Cadet Corp, and trust me compared to what they went through, what Nanoha did was "soft", even gentle.

On Perspective: "Depending on who you talk to, twintails are either ponytails multiplied by two, or divided by two.
Old 2007-06-05, 02:23   Link #1012
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I'm also skeptical at what they're awwing. Nanoha or Tea. I guess it's Tea.
Seeing how she was on high ground.

Anyway..
BooldSeeker should be comin' in here any moment starting the topic all over again ~
Old 2007-06-05, 02:32   Link #1013
ACE2003

Yeah, Nanoha was in control of the situation alright! So she decided to take matters into her own hands, to give them the beat down they deserved for them thinking outside their boundaries. Yep, she was definately controling the situation with a cool, calm head....not. Again, what IF this was real life where if a subordinate disobeyed a training order and all of a sudden, the trainer decides the hell with it and beats the poor kid to death because of that? I guarantee there would be a major ruckus, no matter how right she think she is or what's she's trying to instill in to them. That wasn't the proper way. That's just going to make Tea resent her EVEN more so for the fact that Nanoha was mocking her, showing Tea just how exactly weak she is. There are better ways to get your message across to someone than to use excessive violence, which she did. Yes, Tea was emotional, but don't stoop down to her level. Nanoha is a high-ranking person, so she should've know better than that. To me, In my eyes, she was wrong on how the situation was handled. Untill I see episode 9(which most of everyone has probably seen) my viewpoint stands.

I'm jumping tangents on this one. As for Fate and Vita restraining Tea, I don't think Tea was THAT much of a threat. Everyone makes it seems like Tea could've blasted Nanoha to smitherines, which I don't believe in the slightest.
Old 2007-06-05, 02:39   Link #1014
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

She was the only one using lethal force ~
The mock battle was to be a practice course not a mission simulation. Remember they never commented negatively in the first Ep.

Tea & Subaru took it too far, they were too serious ~ the mock battle was suppose to root their basics not test their planing skillz.

Go watch Ep9 ~ should explain things better.
Old 2007-06-05, 02:42   Link #1015
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Yeah, Nanoha was in control of the situation alright! So she decided to take matters into her own hands, to give them the beat down they deserved for them thinking outside their boundaries. Yep, she was definately controling the situation with a cool, calm head....not. Again, what IF this was real life where if a subordinate disobeyed a training order and all of a sudden, the trainer decides the hell with it and beats the poor kid to death because of that? I guarantee there would be a major ruckus, no matter how right she think she is or what's she's trying to instill in to them. That wasn't the proper way. That's just going to make Tea resent her EVEN more so for the fact that Nanoha was mocking her, showing Tea just how exactly weak she is. There are better ways to get your message across to someone than to use excessive violence, which she did. Yes, Tea was emotional, but don't stoop down to her level. Nanoha is a high-ranking person, so she should've know better than that. To me, In my eyes, she was wrong on how the situation was handled. Untill I see episode 9(which most of everyone has probably seen) my viewpoint stands.

I'm jumping tangents on this one. As for Fate and Vita restraining Tea, I don't think Tea was THAT much of a threat. Everyone makes it seems like Tea could've blasted Nanoha to smitherines, which I don't believe in the slightest.
See? You're missing the whole point.

It's not like Teana was actually in any inherent danger from Nanoha's attack. An analogy would be an instructor using pepper spray or bean bag bullets into an unstable trainee. Heck, Nanoha's Crossfire Shoot was less damaging than pepper spray OR bean bag bullets, the closest would be a punch in the face, and even then Nanoha's attack didn't even give Teana a headache. And Nanoha using her own magic to cushion Teana's fall indicated that she didn't want Teana to get hurt in the slightest. THOSE are NOT the actions of a person who's lost control.

And on the second point I outlined... Teana couldn't blast Nanoha to smithereens... But she could CUT Nanoha using her blades, and she DID cut her. It was fortunate that Nanoha deactivated RH and was able to stop Tea's blade attack, or she would've suffered much worse.

Old 2007-06-05, 02:46   Link #1016
ACE2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
She was the only one using lethal force ~
The mock battle was to be a practice course not a mission simulation. Remember they never commented negatively in the first Ep.

Tea & Subaru took it too far, they were too serious ~ the mock battle was suppose to root their basics not test their planing skillz.

Go watch Ep9 ~ should explain things better.
I would but it's not subbed yet. Most everyone here has a head up on me since they saw episode 9. I basing my thoughts on episode 8 alone. Episode 9 doesn't concern me at the moment. Now after I see episode 9, maybe my viewpoint will change somewhat, but untill then, I'll discuss on what I witnessed in episode 8.
Old 2007-06-05, 02:48   Link #1017
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
threat? no shes no threat...it was an attitude problem...if you think that its okey to disobey orders ~ screw up and then try to shoot your instructor in the face then ill have to say that nanoha has some mental problems if she can still remain completely cool in that situation...

understanding will come in ep 9

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-05, 02:50   Link #1018
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I would but it's not subbed yet. Most everyone here has a head up on me since they saw episode 9. I basing my thoughts on episode 8 alone. Episode 9 doesn't concern me at the moment. Now after I see episode 9, maybe my viewpoint will change somewhat, but untill then, I'll discuss on what I witnessed in episode 8.
Then you need to consider episode 9, and not talk about the event as though there's no aftermath. The aftereffects of Nanoha's attack clearly showed that there was nothing wrong with Nanoha's actions. If Teana had been horribly disfigured, or paralyzed by the Crossfire Shoot then by all means I'd agree with you. But with Teana not even having a scratch, and with Shamal's comments on Nanoha's abilities, it's safe to say that Nanoha did know what she was doing. And also, Fate and Vita clearly supported Nanoha's decision.

Old 2007-06-05, 03:02   Link #1019
ACE2003

Quote:
See? You're missing the whole point.

It's not like Teana was actually in any inherent danger from Nanoha's attack. An analogy would be an instructor using pepper spray or bean bag bullets into an unstable trainee. Heck, Nanoha's Crossfire Shoot was less damaging than pepper spray OR bean bag bullets, the closest would be a punch in the face, and even then Nanoha's attack didn't even give Teana a headache. And Nanoha using her own magic to cushion Teana's fall indicated that she didn't want Teana to get hurt in the slightest. THOSE are NOT the actions of a person who's lost control.

And on the second point I outlined... Teana couldn't blast Nanoha to smithereens... But she could CUT Nanoha using her blades, and she DID cut her. It was fortunate that Nanoha deactivated RH and was able to stop Tea's blade attack, or she would've suffered much worse.
Okay, then, why couldn't Nanoha use a much more simpler attack then? Why two consecutive blasts? She was trying to send a clear yet dangerous message that this is what happens with you mess with the boss. If you think that Tea and Subaru had problems with Nanoha training then, they're going to have EVEN more problems now, especially since Nanoha went and over did it. There's no question in my mind that Nanoha used a powerful blast to peg her down or to "cool her down". Could've done it a better way. A strong bind wouldn't have hurt Nanoha to use it. With this, Nanoha's training methods definately won't be followed. You just don't go out on subordinates like that, even if they "crossed" the line a little bit. Almost like when you're in basic training, like Army for example, if a troop screws up, the T.I. can yell, cuss, or scream, but he definately can not put his hands on the trainiee just because he didn't followed orders or screwed up. I believe that Nanoha handled the situation wrong and lost her temper, her cool for a bit. She human, so she's capable of making mistakes.

Again, you're making it sound like Tea could actually overpower Nanoha, which is laughable to me. I think you're underestimating Nanoha's battle prowless. Nanoha isn't some normal mage user her, she's the creme of the crop, the highest of the high. Probably the most powerful character in the anime, so again, I don't believe in the slightest that Nanoha was in any immediate danger.
Old 2007-06-05, 03:02   Link #1020
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

~ ACE2003

We're actually at Ep10 ~
Quote:
Well she was smoking when she came down, and that kind of fall would have killed her ~ so you know.. Nanoha was gentle, but she wasn't as gentle as you want to make her Also if it was how you put it then why did she stop her fall at the very last moment and didn't bother half way or something, kind of risky don't you think.

Well, the fall thing is.. umm ~ too ambiguous, not a valid argument for either side. But either way, the point of it:
Did Nanoha have motivation for her actions? ~ Yes.