AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2004-01-14, 03:27   Link #1
Sukato
Kendo Fanatic

Azumanga Daioh

I was in a shop the other day and noticed the Azumanga Daioh manga. It was one of my favorite animes and I decided to pick up the manga as well. It's pretty interesting, lots of added short scenes. However, a couple of funny translations that ADV had to do.

I knew from the start when Azumanga Daioh was licensed that it's going to be a very strange anime/manga in English, since it was heavy on Japanese humor and puns. Also, I wondered how they were going to translate Yukari-sensei, the English teacher.

Well, I haven't seen the dubbed anime yet but I've been reading the manga (just started). It turns out that Yukari-sensei is a Spanish teacher in the english version...
Also, some of the pun scenes make very little sense (such as the Osaka obsession early on). Anyway, just now midway through the first volume, but it's still a fun manga and easily worth the $8.00 USD I paid for it .
Sukato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 08:17   Link #2
TechnoMage
Shoujo-Anime Member

Actually, by reading more closely, I've noticed that the Yukari being a spanish teacher is only found in a small part of the manga. Further through the volume, when she decides she wishes to teach something else, we see that she's back to being an english teacher (an error in script editing?)

But yeah, it's well worth the buy, as long as you ignore some of these small inconsistancies .
TechnoMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 08:35   Link #3
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

The first volume has a rather sucky translation and casts everyone in a bad light. For example
- Osaka is translated as having a New York accent for no reason, and also she swears a lot.
- As TechnoMage pointed out, Yukari is a Spanish teacher (?!)
- Chiyo is not at all portrayed as cute, IMHO at least.
The second volume improves on the translation. Many of these problems are fixed.
Old 2004-01-15, 10:26   Link #4
Fin Fish
Arinatic

Well, since I live here, in Hungary, there are no mangas being published here. But the fan version of Azumanga is very good. Better then the english version (or, at least the first volume).
I love the Manga, and specia-lee the anime^^
Azumanga 4ever!
Fin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 12:44   Link #5
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
The first volume has a rather sucky translation and casts everyone in a bad light. For example
- Osaka is translated as having a New York accent for no reason, and also she swears a lot.
- As TechnoMage pointed out, Yukari is a Spanish teacher (?!)
- Chiyo is not at all portrayed as cute, IMHO at least.
The second volume improves on the translation. Many of these problems are fixed.
Really...hmm.

One question:
- Why New York? To my knowledge I have this idea stuck into my head that our Tokyo-Osaka rivalry is similar to New York-Los Angeles rivalry (Tokyo = NY / Osaka = LA). Whereas Tokyoites and New Yorkers are busy and speak in a polite manner (stereotypically), Osakans and Los Angelinos are more laid back and have a more vulgur intonation (again, stereotypically). Of course, Kasuga Ayumu is from the Kansai region of Japan, but she speaks rather softly and is shy from being a stereotypical Osakan (that's why Tomo-chan was shocked that she's from Osaka...she doesn't "act" like the stereotypical view of someone from the Kansai region). So, instead of being a "vulgar-speaking New Yorker," in my head, Osaka would rather fit the image of a "shy Los Angelino."
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 13:34   Link #6
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Really...hmm.

One question:
- Why New York? To my knowledge I have this idea stuck into my head that our Tokyo-Osaka rivalry is similar to New York-Los Angeles rivalry (Tokyo = NY / Osaka = LA). Whereas Tokyoites and New Yorkers are busy and speak in a polite manner (stereotypically), Osakans and Los Angelinos are more laid back and have a more vulgur intonation (again, stereotypically). Of course, Kasuga Ayumu is from the Kansai region of Japan, but she speaks rather softly and is shy from being a stereotypical Osakan (that's why Tomo-chan was shocked that she's from Osaka...she doesn't "act" like the stereotypical view of someone from the Kansai region). So, instead of being a "vulgar-speaking New Yorker," in my head, Osaka would rather fit the image of a "shy Los Angelino."
Hmm, I would say that the reason that they chose New York was based solely for the distinct accent they have. New Yorkers speak in a distinct accent that most people in the US can recognize. But whereas your preconception of New Yorkers portrays them as polite, the actual stereotype in the US is that they are rude and hostile (maybe New Yorkers are more polite to tourists heh). So, in this case, if ADV had shown this correctly, she would have had a New York accent, as Osaka speaks in the Kansai dialect (correct?), but she would still be shy, as this would be the opposite as one would expect someone from New York to be (as Osaka is the opposite as you would expect someone from Osaka would be).

... and her name would be Brooklyn or something heh.

This post is in no way a put down of New Yorkers. I am just discussing stereotypes, not reality.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 13:40   Link #7
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

I'm guessing they decided that they decided the racuous, informal stereotype of Osaka was similar to a stereotype of New York. Unfortunately, they hit off the mark, because you would expect someone from New York to be more like arrogant and violent. Also, New York street slang (which someone like Osaka wouldn't even use in the first place) is not comparable to the Kansai dialect. It's more like Japanese mafia-related slang.

I prefer the fan-translation, which had Osaka speaking with a simple Southern accent. Although it's a bit outdated, the northeastern U.S. is viewed as more formal and secular, whereas the southeastern U.S. is more informal and friendly. (This stereotype is exploited horribly during election year... my God -_-;) I think eventually ADV just gave up on the dialect.
Old 2004-01-15, 15:41   Link #8
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

I think the New York accent is kinda better than a southern accent. It adds more to Osaka's oozing coolness. As far as ADV's translation, I'm not complaing a lot because I understand the changes they have to do. They made it more americanize for the new/english speaking readers who aren't really familiar of Japanese puns/jokes/the characters or what not.
Gaara11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 03:13   Link #9
Fronzel
Schmuck

People complain about changes too much. Sometimes it has to be done, sometimes it makes things clearer, and sometimes things just don't translate. Give these people some credit. People talking about English class in English can very easily appear absurd. I am curious as to why they choose a Brooklyn accent for Osaka as a Southern accent has been standard practice forever, but so what?

In short, eat me.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 03:58   Link #10
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Heheh, glad I bought this in Japanese. I am not great at reading Japanese and Kansai-ben makes me feel like I'm going crazy but at least I missed all this stuff about New York accents and swearing.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 13:12   Link #11
Weissent
on and off member

Another translation question...

During their School-fair in Vol. 1 (the strip was named "Que?"; p.139), Osaka gets talked to by a gaijin in rather "strange" German. (I don't have the slightest idea what "arhen" means ... "Ohren"? "Haare"?)

Does anyone of you who read the Japanese original remember that strip, particularly the nationality of the visitor? What does he say in the Japanese version?

(edit: I scanned the 2 strips dealing with the "Gaijin-problem", copyright for the US American Market by ADV Manga. lol, I hope posting it is just a minor copyright infringement... Here you go

Last edited by Weissent; 2004-01-17 at 16:46. Reason: Image added
Weissent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 14:27   Link #12
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weissent
During their School-fair in Vol. 1 (the strip was named "Que?"; p.139), Osaka gets talked to by a gaijin in rather "strange" German. (I don't have the slightest idea what "arhen" means ... "Ohren"? "Haare"?)

Does anyone of you who read the Japanese original remember that strip, particularly the nationality of the visitor? What does he say in the Japanese version?
hehe, nationality you say...
the first 4 panels on that page are titled sappari " I cannot make heads or tails of this." In the second panel Osaka sez "A! Gaijin ya!" which is Kansai-ben for "Whoa! it's a gaijin!" ^_^;;; What the gaijin says, is "Hello pretty girl! How are you? What kind of character do you play?""Or, is this costume something for religion of Japan? I mean..." in English.

Osaka's response is "nani yutten no?" which roughly translates to "WTF are you saying!?"

The strip on the next page featuring Yukari-sensei has her saying in the third panel "Uwa! Gaijin Da!" which is the same as "A! Gaijin ya!" except it's not in Kansai-ben.

So the answer to the nationality question is "gaijin." ^_^;;;
Old 2004-01-17, 15:48   Link #13
Weissent
on and off member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
So the answer to the nationality question is "gaijin." ^_^;;;
Lol, I guess that sums it up quite nicely, thanx
Old 2004-01-31, 21:04   Link #14
Weissent
on and off member

Cool Azmanga rules!

Are you going to let this thread die?
I refuse to give in! Azumanga forever
What are your thoughts about this release? (apart from Gaijin etc.)
Or are u still waiting for the R1 DVD?
Old 2004-01-31, 22:24   Link #15
babbito2k
annoying white bat

If you want to keep the thread going you should point out another one of those bizarro localizations. I have no way of knowing how bad ADV's translation is unless someone else clues me in ^_^

I guess I could say that it was refreshing to run across something that dealt with high school and wasn't about stifled romance, pointy-haired hoodlums, pointy-haired sports freaks, pointy-haired wanna-be lechers - did I leave anything out? I mean that kind of stuff has its good points but Azumanga Daioh managed to just be about being in high school and it was great.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-03-10 at 18:01.
Old 2004-03-08, 13:44   Link #16
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I recently bought and read all of the Azumanga Daioh mangas
released by ADV Manga. To be honest, I was expecting there to
be some alterations to the dialogue and some minor changes to the
jokes. I knew it would be hard to show them not understanding
English in an adapted English translation, however, by the time I
reached the halfway point of the first volume I was seriously
wondering if I had just wasted forty dollar and was beginning to
look rather painfully at my Gunslinger Girls manga which I had
purchased at the same time.

I was fully aware, call it a rather strong hunch, that Osaka would
be portrayed as a brash, foul-mouthed New Yorker (It seems to be
ADV's corporate policy to depict all people from Osaka this way,
Abenobashi demonstrates this rather wonderfully) but was in no way
ready for how far they took it. Also, the rather inconsistent editing
of Osaka's dialogue. In some strips she's speaking perfect English then
in others her accent has been applied so heavily I found myself pausing
to try and make sense of her seemingly inane ramblings. Yukari-sensei
teaching Spanish seemed horribly out of place. I was pleased in the
second half of volume one and onwards through the other volumes
that they returned Yukari-sensei to teaching English. Although the
number of editing inconsistencies in the first volume were staggering,
to say the least, I was rather pleased that they were, for the most
part, straightened out in the later volumes.

On another note, ADV Manga's rather inconsistent frame alterations
stuck out each and every time. I'm still left pondering why it is that
they would alter one element of the image in one frame then remain
completely oblivious to it in the other frames or alter the element in
all but one frame of the set of four. The image posted by Weissent,
particularly the 'Que?' short, shows this quite nicely. You'll notice in
the top frame, the class' sign is left unaltered but in the last two
frames ADV Manga has altered the sign in both instances.

Overall, it's actually presented and translated (despite those places
where it seems they disregarded the original dialogue and just winged it)
very well. I'm glad I purchased all three volumes at once, if I had only
purchased the first I would have been content with my original Japanese
ones and probably never purchased the rest of the English adapted ones.
If I had gone that route I would have missed one of my favorite scenes,
from the manga and anime alike, where Nyamo explains to the girls that
"Adult relationships are all about SEX!"

I'm also happy to announce that they left Kimura-sensei's jokes (can
they be called that? It's my opinion that they're more of a sickening
level of perversion and brutal honesty ) largely untouched! Indeed,
they left lines such as "'Cause I like high school girls and stuff!" as is.
I know this seems odd, but I had to mention it, as Kimura-sensei is one
of my favorite anime characters.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-08, 18:23   Link #17
Tri

"ahren" is not a German word. They probably wanted to write "Ohren", which means "ears". That foreigner asks Osaka (in rather bad German): "Hello girl! How are you? What are your ears/What about your ears?" - then: "Or are your ears natural? You're very pretty." ("natural" is wrong here, it should be "natürlich".)
Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-08, 18:39   Link #18
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

If you haven't noticed, in book 3 there is a section of translation notes which details all changes they made, and why they made them. I don't mind changes in a series like this, which has fast paced comic timing that relies on instant recognition of pop-culture references. They could have translated everything literally and explained it in a separate section, but if you do that, half the jokes in the book are dead.

Off topic, but the manga translators have absolutely nothing to do with the anime production. ADV Films and ADV Manga are completely isolated from each other - the only common link being they are in the same building. I thought I should mention that too.
Old 2004-03-10, 12:21   Link #19
Renaissance Otaku
Shadow Member

Send a message via AIM to Renaissance Otaku Send a message via MSN to Renaissance Otaku Send a message via Yahoo to Renaissance Otaku
They put notes in? I first read this at No Name Anime(a club in San Jose that translated it when it was new) While I expected it, flipping through ADV's version felt awkward with the changed references. I do agree that when you have to explain a joke it often ruins it. It pleases me greatly that they put notes in on what they changed. Idon't mind it as much if they do so. Its interesting to know that they are seperate from AD Vision. I really think ADV has why too much presence in the genre.
Renaissance Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 12:56   Link #20
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

StarCreator, I'm well aware that the two aren't affiliated in any way
other then by name. I tried to refrain from implying that ADV Films had
anything to do with the manga but it seems I might have failed in that
attempt. My reference to ADV as a whole was an attempt to point out
that both ADV Manga and ADV Films use the same generalization for
their tranlastions of Osakans. Also, the translation notes in volume
three were very helpful and insightful as to the reasons for the changes
they made.

Anyway, despite my misgivings over the first volume and the image
changes/ajustments, I'm still very pleased with the product as a whole.
I hope ADV Manga continues to improve and release quality products.
Time to wait for volume four now.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, slice of life