AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 166 69.46%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 20.92%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 5.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 1.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.42%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.42%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.42%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.84%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-23, 15:55   Link #81
Defiled one
Priscilla`s inner voice

Priscilla begged to be killed before it was too late, Theresa just went for it too late. Priscilla wanted to die while she still controled her body...After that, we saw the outcome. Survival.

I have no idea what she became. But I though she would become a Youma ;_; not so...unique.
Old 2007-05-23, 16:30   Link #82
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyEd View Post
It was a cheap move if you consider what Priscilla was "preaching" to Teresa just before the start of the battle. All that bull about rules of conduct and values and the like.
It's just like Teresa said, that's not how the world works. Everything about Priscilla is just a ruse to cover up that rotten core of hers.
But yeah, Teresa pretty much doomed herself by going soft on Priscilla. It shows a lot of her recent development in character but it also cost her her life.
In the end both of their roles were effectivly reversed. Teresa turned out to be the righteous force of benevolence (surprise,surprise), while Priscilla showed her true colors as a treacherous double-tongued hypocrite.
IIRC Irene had told Priscilla point blank to forget the niceties and use all her power to find the most certain way to kill Theresa. And, personally, I don't really see that much hypocrisy in talking about the rules as far as killing humans went and eventually doing whatever it took to prevail against (in her eyes) a dangerous Claymore criminal; so I think some of your harsher rhetoric is (while understandable from an emotional point of view) not entirely fair. Especially if Priscilla had already lost control in the very end. It'd be silly to call her human side rotten and treacherous for whatever the youma did.

Edit: BTW, note that at no point did Priscilla try to use Clare, which she could have done if she were as rotten as you say.

Last edited by yononaka; 2007-05-23 at 16:43.
Old 2007-05-23, 17:16   Link #83
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yononaka View Post
IIRC Irene had told Priscilla point blank to forget the niceties and use all her power to find the most certain way to kill Theresa. And, personally, I don't really see that much hypocrisy in talking about the rules as far as killing humans went and eventually doing whatever it took to prevail against (in her eyes) a dangerous Claymore criminal; so I think some of your harsher rhetoric is (while understandable from an emotional point of view) not entirely fair. Especially if Priscilla had already lost control in the very end. It'd be silly to call her human side rotten and treacherous for whatever the youma did.
Emotions play a rather large role in my reasoning here, agreed. And now i shall take some things on face value.

So, Irene gave little Priscilla the permission to go all out there. That's like: " Hey i'm supposed to be Miss Goody-Two-Shoes here, you're the criminal AND big sister Irene, coughing up her own blood over there, gave me permission to slash you up in the name of my own narrow view of the world around me".

You know, Priscilla might have thought to be an avatar of justice, that she is infallible in her own reasoning and that everything that goes against that would be ultimately wrong and has to be purged.
She literally pressed her own moral code (which fits that of the organization) onto Teresa without even trying to understand her side of the story. It was irrelevant to her. She demanded of those around her to accept her point of view without even making the effort to give them the benefit of a doubt at least.
That's a hypocrite in all her glory.

Remember how she deliberatly plays the innocent little airhead as long as everything goes the way she wants? See how her entire demeanor changes when she faces off against something that doesn't fit into her little black&white world?

For her, Teresa..no rather her image of Teresa is everything that she hates about herself, her life before being a Claymore and while being a Claymore. She casts her whole frustrations, anger, regrets onto her. She can't even do so much as to understand the reason why Teresa didn't forfeit her own life willingly after committing those alleged murders. She doesn't understand that this "evil" could actually be something else than evil. That she could have a reason for all she did back then. That her actions were justified. It would have ruined her own little world there.

She doesn't even understand why she was losing to Teresa over and over again, even though she was supposed to be righteous and pure. How could goodness fail to villainy? How could she fail to Teresa?
Could Priscilla actually be...conceited..even self-righteous?

Priscilla lost to Teresa even after using that dreaded youki, while Teresa didn't even show the slightest need to do the same. Why does she have to use the thing she hates the most while the villain Teresa, her enemy, the enemy of all she stands for, doesn't?

She was defeated several times, just like her comrades. Teresa still standing, moving in for the kill. She would definitely kill her there, because she is evil and she , Priscilla, has lost. But.....she didn't kill her? Why didn't that evil villain kill her there? Why does evil show mercy on her, on the force of goodness? Unforgivable! Slander! Papa...killed Papa....

What follows is an unstoppable downfall after that little illusionary bubble of hers burst into tiny little bits. She couldn't return to being the human she thought she was. She begged Teresa to take her life while she was still human....not.

She lured her into that trap and Teresa (regrettably) fell for it. It was her own change of character that led her into believing that she was still standing in front of a human being there. Priscilla, the human, was lost long ago. Probably at the time when her family died.
Remember her words after awakening? Why did she struggle so hard? It feels so great (to let go off all the pretentions and just give in to the anger).

That all was the youmas doing, hmm? Why should Priscilla be responsible for what the monster inside her did? She was right, the monster was wrong. I am good you are evil.

It all comes back in a circle. Thoughts like these are exactly what keeps us humans fighting among each other day by day.

Did this post seem a bit..ahh, melodramatic? Naww, i'm just a Claytard.

Last edited by SimplyEd; 2007-05-23 at 17:28.
Old 2007-05-23, 17:35   Link #84
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Absolutely beautiful. Loved it. 10.

While I definitely miss that closing scene, I can't see where they could have reasonably removed more than about 5 seconds of footage from the rest of the episode without making it feel chopped up. Plus, the point where they ended the episode is really quite perfect in itself, right at the point where the greatest sense of loss had fully caught up with you.

As for Pris catching Teresa off guard, remember that Pris was throwing off so much yoki energy that when Teresa was still in silver-eyed mode she couldn't track it. The surprised/shocked moment when she lost her hands I think was less about losing the hands and more about realizing Pris had been faking and she'd fallen for it. Unfortunately she didn't have time to recover since she'd powered down.
Old 2007-05-23, 17:48   Link #85
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyEd
You know, Priscilla might have thought to be an avatar of justice, that she is infallible in her own reasoning and that everything that goes against that would be ultimately wrong and has to be purged.
She literally pressed her own moral code (which fits that of the organization) onto Teresa without even trying to understand her side of the story. It was irrelevant to her. She demanded of those around her to accept her point of view without even making the effort to give them the benefit of a doubt at least.
That's a hypocrite in all her glory.
Actually, no, that's not hypocrisy. That's dogmatism, or fanaticism. Extremely common in people with strong political or religious beliefs. They know they are right, so anything you say that conflicts with that belief must be an attempt to trick or manipulate them. Any actual evidence that is contradictory with their beliefs can cause a "crisis of faith", as it were. Priscilla definitely showed signs of that here.
Old 2007-05-23, 17:56   Link #86
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
Actually, no, that's not hypocrisy. That's dogmatism, or fanaticism. Extremely common in people with strong political or religious beliefs. They know they are right, so anything you say that conflicts with that belief must be an attempt to trick or manipulate them. Any actual evidence that is contradictory with their beliefs can cause a "crisis of faith", as it were. Priscilla definitely showed signs of that here.
Nicely put. All of them fit like a glove. Just like hypocrisy^^

hy·poc·ri·sy (hĭ-pŏk'rĭ-sē) pronunciation
n., pl. -sies.

1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
2. An act or instance of such falseness.

[Middle English ipocrisie, from Old French, from Late Latin hypocrisis, play-acting, pretense, from Greek hupokrisis, from hupokrīnesthai, to play a part, pretend : hupo-, hypo- + krīnesthai, to explain, middle voice of krīnein, to decide, judge.]

hypocrisy
n

Definition: deceitfulness, pretense
Antonyms: forthrightness, honesty, righteousness, sincerity, truth

hypocrisy pronunciation

IN BRIEF: Insincerity by pretending to have qualities or beliefs not really held.

pronunciation Hypocrisy is the homage which vice pays to virtue. — Duc de La Rochefoucauld (1613-1680)

Sorry, i had to pull the google card. You're not wrong per se, i just had to add a little bit of a footnote here.
Old 2007-05-23, 19:20   Link #87
rockdevil

Send a message via MSN to rockdevil Send a message via Skype™ to rockdevil
Spoiler for teresa:
Old 2007-05-23, 19:36   Link #88
pirs
Yuki.N is love~

AMAZING episode! I was like :OOOOMFG!!
Old 2007-05-23, 21:10   Link #89
cf18
Mecha Pilot

Some speculation:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-23, 21:32   Link #90
sola

I can't believe what happened to Teresa! T_T It happened so fast, I was so stunned for the rest of the ep!
Old 2007-05-23, 21:56   Link #91
LCeh

I am starting to feel that it was a great decision to end episode 8 at where it ended, because that way we won't be distracted by what happens afterwards and can focus on the impact
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-23, 22:08   Link #92
SapientiSat

A very well done OMG episode. While the evil twist was unfoulding, I think I heard creepy small girls singing "lalala-la.. la" in the corridors outside my office o.O
Old 2007-05-23, 22:24   Link #93
Dustin
Elite G

This is one of the greatest episodes in an anime I've seen 10/10. The episode was action-packed and also full of sadness. I hope the next episodes will also be as exciting as this one.

Offtopic: Did any of you know that Teresa is voiced by the same person as Hitsugaya from Bleach? It kinda took me by surprise when I found out because y'know Hitsugaya's a dude and Teresa's a chick although that doesn't matter much in the anime world >_>.
Old 2007-05-23, 22:24   Link #94
4Tran

This was an excellent episode. The first part of it was pretty much the typical shounen fighting sequence, but the latter half more than made up for it. I especially liked the old convention was reversed: "She's only fighting at 10%, but she'll still win!" sure as heck didn't end the way it normally does. Finally, I'm really pleased with the way Hisakawa Aya sounds at the end of the episode. She adds a lot to Priscilla's character.
Old 2007-05-23, 22:29   Link #95
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

One of the few Priscilla sympathizers.

Spoiler:

Lets' face it Teresa made errors in judgement and...

Spoiler:

Claymores 3-5 had some errors in judgement too...

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-23, 22:33   Link #96
Grey

The little changes to the Claymore opening each episode...they creep me out. "Add a bit of static here...darken the sunset a little there..."--eeeyaaargh.

A nice episode, with some very nice shots here and there (like the very last scene of weeping Clare before the episode end). The limited number of background music tracks wears at me a little, but only a little bit, and the music is often eminently appropriate anyways.

I remember being puzzled when I first saw that final scene, and I wasn't quite certain how Teresa lost. Eventually I concluded that it was a combination of Teresa letting her guard down--i.e. Clare's made her soft--and Priscilla became fast and "yoki-crazy".

Of course, Priscilla could have been playing a trick. But, if one presumes that a person's honest unless there's sufficient reason to indicate otherwise, then it seems there's insufficient reason to conclude that Priscilla was a trickster as opposed to yoki-crazy. Eh.

Last edited by Grey; 2007-05-24 at 00:09. Reason: removed possible "manga venting"?
Old 2007-05-23, 22:34   Link #97
LCeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post

Spoiler:
The way I look at it though...

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-23, 22:36   Link #98
zangetsu_21

Teresa!!!!!!
Old 2007-05-23, 22:36   Link #99
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
One of the few Priscilla sympathizers.

Spoiler:

Lets' face it Teresa made errors in judgement and...

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Well, you have to consider the fact that Clare was watching. Teresa's basically acting as her guardian and role model.

I'm assuming she did what she did to set a good example for Clare. Killing Claymores is quite different from killing Youmas.
Old 2007-05-23, 23:11   Link #100
MuMuLi

Mat makes Priscilla so powerful ion the first place? Was it cuz of her screwed up child hood? n that case Clare gone through some crazy stuff herself and yet she is not teh ubar l337,
Closed Thread