AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2007-05-20, 14:44   Link #1
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Post The Recent Update

So was only the style navigation changed.
Old 2007-05-20, 14:50   Link #2
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

When we changed forum software back in 2003, we made some changes to the default vBulletin navigation templates in order to maintain the "look and feel" of the forum. Unfortunately that has made them a chore to maintain as vBulletin has changed over the years. This time I decided to restructure the templates to make them easier to maintain in future.

This does mean there are a few minor changes that will be visible, which I'll fix/respond to as required over the next few weeks. For now, your "style" choice has probably been re-set to the forum default, which is probably why you've noticed the change in navigation position. If people can make a list (in this thread?) of anything that I've missed (because there will be some inconsistencies) then please do. My intention is to return the style to basically what it was before the update, but in a way that doesn't take 4 hours to update each time a new version of the software is released.
Old 2007-05-20, 14:54   Link #3
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

No the style didn't change to VB defalult. The prefence isn't stored on the server I think.

----
You missed the thread icons. They have reverted to default.
Now incosistent with current thread icon options. (silk set icons)
Old 2007-05-20, 15:05   Link #4
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

Those aren't actually part of the "silk" icon set, they're from the old forum software I believe, or vb version 2. I see the problem though... Just can't work out why it is happening.
Old 2007-05-20, 15:06   Link #5
martino
makes no files now

Hmmm... Just noticed one thing. When I click "Mark This Forum Read" it doesn't go back to a directory higher, it just keeps me in the same forum. Reference back to here please if needed.

Thanks
Old 2007-05-20, 15:10   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Whatever effects those icons effects the smilies too.

It's almost random.
Old 2007-05-20, 15:18   Link #7
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

Ah, I forgot about the cache... should be "ok" now.
Mark-Read should also work as before...
Old 2007-05-20, 15:29   Link #8
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Yes everything is fine now. =)
Thank you.
Old 2007-05-21, 16:30   Link #9
monster

Is the alphabetical listing of currently active users part of this update? If so, I like it, so thanks. And I hope you won't change it back to the (at least to me) seemingly random listing you had before.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 16:41   Link #10
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

No, the Currently Active Users listing has always been ordered alphabetically.
You might have been confused by names that contain _ or - or some other characters which precede letters.
The only exception to the alphabetic listing is your (the person that's reading this) name.
Old 2007-05-21, 16:56   Link #11
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
Is the alphabetical listing of currently active users part of this update? If so, I like it, so thanks. And I hope you won't change it back to the (at least to me) seemingly random listing you had before.
No, it's been like that for about 2 months now, since we moved to our own servers.

Before this (pre March 16th 2007) the servers used to be hosted by mb81 and the forum was frequently changed without our knowledge. The random sorting of the Currently Active Users was one of changes that appeared about a year ago I think. It was something we never liked so now that we host and control the servers ourselves we intend to stick with the alphabetical sorting we currently have.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 16:59   Link #12
monster

Oh, ok, I guess I was just late at noticing it since I wasn't paying attention to it when it wasn't in alphabetical order. Thanks again though.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 17:17   Link #13
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
Oh, ok, I guess I was just late at noticing it since I wasn't paying attention to it when it wasn't in alphabetical order. Thanks again though.
Unless you are looking for it, it's not the sort of thing that many people would notice Some people didn't even notice that the Currently Active Users list wasn't in alphabetical order for about a year before March.

But thanks go to GHDpro and NightWish (primarilly) for all the work they did to organise and transfer the server changeover back in March. Plus, NightWish does a lot of work that most of us are totally unaware of.

One of the biggest (unseen) change I think is the fact that we now have a proper backup system in place, something that we can rely on. For example, we had a thread that was accidently deleted and within hours NightWish was able to extract a backup of the thread from the previous day and restore it.

If you remember we lost the most of the 2005 posts due to a hack (see WTF Happened to the Forum?!? (Dec 2005)) but the biggest problem was that we did not have access to a backup. Now that we look after the servers ourselves we shouldn't have this sort of issue again Note: I use the royal "we" here, in reality it's GHDpro and NightWish we have to thank for this.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 18:39   Link #14
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Is there any chance of putting the thread starter back below the thread subject in the index pages? The way it is now seems to just create a lot of unnecessary space, and it's kind of annoying to have to look to the right to see information that I could have gotten almost instantly before the upgrade. The amount of blank space now is also fairly jarring. Everything just seems bigger and emptier.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 19:02   Link #15
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
I'm missing this "Layout Test" for the compact view of the series discussion forum. Will it be re-integrated
Yes. However, it was/is just a test, so it has a lower priority. Please bear with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish View Post
Is there any chance of putting the thread starter back below the thread subject in the index pages?
I'm aware the "blue" theme has some "differences". The current position of the poster's name is a feature of the AnimeSuki style. The "blue" theme has "acquired" it as a result of the various template simplifications I made (to make upgrading them easier in the future). I'll add it to my list of "restorative" changes, I just need to work out how to make the change while minimizing future update-effort. Again, bear with me.
Old 2007-05-21, 19:11   Link #16
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Well, if it isn't the return of the boneyjellyfish.
Aren't you like suppose to be inactive.

What you are referring to is the old VBulletin Alternative theme, I believe.
It is no more. You can switch to the current VBulletin theme, it should be what you want.
You'll find a slight difference in icons however.
Old 2007-05-22, 16:44   Link #17
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
Yes. However, it was/is just a test, so it has a lower priority. Please bear with me.I'm aware the "blue" theme has some "differences". The current position of the poster's name is a feature of the AnimeSuki style. The "blue" theme has "acquired" it as a result of the various template simplifications I made (to make upgrading them easier in the future). I'll add it to my list of "restorative" changes, I just need to work out how to make the change while minimizing future update-effort. Again, bear with me.
Thank you "very" much. If, however, you indeed intended this behavior to be the default, would you instead be able to simply alter the vBulletin style to use the animesuki banner images? I'd be more than happy just having that, and I'd really rather not cause you any inconvenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats
Well, if it isn't the return of the boneyjellyfish.
Aren't you like suppose to be inactive.
Supposed to be inactive? I have no idea what that's even supposed to mean, but it's off-topic, so it shan't be discussed further.
Old 2007-05-22, 17:27   Link #18
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish View Post
Thank you "very" much.
"AnimeSuki Blue (Reordered)" -- closest match to the original "vBulletin (Alternative)".
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
If you ask me, I'd say the test was succesful ...
I've added it as "AnimeSuki Compressed".

Last edited by NightWish; 2007-05-22 at 17:42.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 17:53   Link #19
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Thanks, Nightwish! You're awesome.