AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Old 2007-05-23, 23:47   Link #1
AnbuItachi

Acer or HP laptop?

i want to get a laptop but im not sure to get an acer or HP. it seems like the HP is a bit more expensive but which one has better quality? any suggestoins?
AnbuItachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 00:51   Link #2
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

From a support point of view I had to call in several for both using the UK support and both companies were very good during the support period. HP does have a slight issue with their extended support database, but that's not an issue as long as you keep your extended support pack number available. After the support period Acer seemed more honest about what the charges would be, whilst HP asked how I would like to send the lappie to them with no mention of charges until I brought it up.

Acer of today is much much better then Acer of a few years ago. But I would say that I have seen more Acer go then HP (but I know more people with Acer then with HP, so take that with a pinch of salt).

Both brands have their black sheep, always check reviews about the model you want.

My Acer died a critical death where some of the capacitors on the mobo blew and it would just whine. It had slightly more use then the Fujitsu Siemens I am on right now. Both same age (one of the memory dimms on the FS went a few weeks ago, so you can see that both are feeling their age). ~ 3 years old, on 24x7.
Old 2007-05-24, 01:56   Link #3
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
I've actually experienced both and as far as I've learned, they're both good. Though, Acer seemed to be able to take a beating more. So, I would lean a little towards Acer, though it's still a toss up. In the end, I think you'd be better off weighing between the two regarding their specs and what you really need/want.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 07:31   Link #4
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
>i want to get a laptop but im not sure to get an acer or HP. it seems like the HP is a bit more expensive but which one has better quality? any suggestoins?

Its impossible to say it depends model to model. None of the companies you think make laptops make laptops. HP doesn't make not books, nor does Acer, neither does dell, Sony, gateway,. The ones making note books are companies like Quanta (over 30% of all note books are made by Quanta, they make also the mac book pro), Clevo, Uniwill, Asus (they also make the mac book). The higher end HP's usually use better ODM's such as Clevo, which is known for good quality, but theres no garuntee that what model out now is a clevo. Also the ODM's quality can vary, cheaper Quanta's are mediocre, higher end Quanta's are good. Just look for reviews on the particular model. If your using this pc for any kind of specialized tasks mainly video or audio production, do your self a favour and go to a vendor that specializes in these machines. They'll have picked the better ODM models for the task. Also note the manufacturers don't use the same ODM for every note book hence why you can't tell track the HP's brand history. HP's laptops were never made by one maker or the same maker. Ditto for Acer.

Given the price of Acer they are using a cheaper ODM, I know that regardless of the specs, Acer laptops are recommended avoid for audio. For normal use, gaming, multimedia, they are fine provided the specs are right.
Old 2007-05-24, 13:12   Link #5
arcadeplayer987

I saw some from both: acer and HP. I think HP is better

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 15:21   Link #6
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

I think Acer is better. My laptop is almost 4 years old and still does it's job as it's supposed to do. My brother's HP is almost 6 years and he had already a few repair done. The powerplug on the laptop itself is quite fragile and had melting damage on the motherboard.
Now his screen is going to die. It shows distorted lines of all colours during a few minutes after booting and then goes back to normal.
On battery level he had quite some problems as well... It's like his 2nd or 3rd. A first it gives him 2 - 3 hours of power but after a while it's more like 30 minutes - 1 hour.

I haven't had any of these problems with my Acer yet. There could be a difference in handling the laptop between the two of us... but I still have my first battery which does a little more than 3 hours just programming, typing or chatting. When watching a DVD it enough to see a movie and do some surfing afterwards. I always remove the battery when I'm using the power cord.

And the brushed aluminium top still has it's foil on it It looks as new.

Visit http://syaoran.miniville.fr/ or help them get a job (~_^)
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 19:11   Link #7
AnbuItachi

for Acer

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-...oductDetail.do

for HP

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pa...oductDetail.do

i know the ram is different but the 2 gb ones for HP goes over 1000. i dont want to spend over 1000
AnbuItachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 01:22   Link #8
grey_moon

Hmmm I guess it is more memory (Acer) v connectivity (HP).

Things that jump out at me from a brief look.

Acer 2GB expandable to 4 GB, HP 1 GB expandable to 2 GB. Unless you are going to muck about with virtual machines or graphics packages then memory should be that big an issue.

HP has firewire and bluetooth, Acer does not.

Of course if you are buying a laptop for mobility, then your main issues should also cover battery and weight.

HP 5.4lbs, Acer 6.2 lbs.

Why do the *beep* never list battery life???

One thing to keep in mind is the HP has svideo out, which the Acer doesn't so if you want to plug into a TV to watch anime (we are on asf ), then you would need to buy a usb dongle or pcmcia card to do so with the Acer.

Finally if you want to play games, you need to check the games them selves for compatibility, the HP has the NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 6150 graphics and the Acer has the ATI Radeon Xpress 1100.

Conclusion... If it was me... I would go for the HP, its cheaper, has more connectivity, and more importantly I can watch my anime outofthebox on my tv.

Disclaimer...

Dunno how adequate 1GB of memory will be for Vista, so take my bit about memory with a pinch of salt....

I haven't checked up on reviews, the above is just from looking at the links you posted....
Old 2007-05-25, 02:49   Link #9
ashesatdusk

I'd get Core 2 if you could. Intel's chipset's are generally better than whats availible for amd in the mobile world, also the core 2's are better performer. Intel in general has always had a stronger mobile platform, even when amd was doing well on the desktop.
Old 2007-05-25, 08:55   Link #10
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
I'd get Core 2 if you could. Intel's chipset's are generally better than whats availible for amd in the mobile world, also the core 2's are better performer. Intel in general has always had a stronger mobile platform, even when amd was doing well on the desktop.
And they don't tend to blow up if they overheat. They just perform sllllllooooowwwweeerrrrr
Old 2007-05-25, 13:52   Link #11
arcadeplayer987

I agree Core2 is better than amd

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
Old 2007-05-26, 06:59   Link #12
ashesatdusk

>And they don't tend to blow up if they overheat. They just perform sllllllooooowwwweeerrrrr

Which are you talking about ? A Core is clock for clock 20% faster than AMD's though they aren't the coolest of processors... but there not abnormally hot, the two are comparable. However Pentium 4 Prescotts (Desktop) takes the cake for hottest processors around for desktops.

The Pentium M intel's last processor was a power consumption to performance miracle.
Old 2007-05-26, 10:49   Link #13
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
>And they don't tend to blow up if they overheat. They just perform sllllllooooowwwweeerrrrr

Which are you talking about ? A Core is clock for clock 20% faster than AMD's though they aren't the coolest of processors... but there not abnormally hot, the two are comparable. However Pentium 4 Prescotts (Desktop) takes the cake for hottest processors around for desktops.

The Pentium M intel's last processor was a power consumption to performance miracle.
Intel processors slow down if they get too hot, whilst with AMD's you can fry eggs with them. That is unless AMD has changed this recently.
Old 2007-05-26, 14:03   Link #14
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

Vista runs rather well on my Acer 2023WLMI (Centrino single core, 1.6Ghz/1GB RAM) It also runs fine with Linux and Windows XP in a virtual machine. If it's for games I never tried... guess vista & game means >1GB RAM.

Old 2007-05-27, 06:26   Link #15
ashesatdusk

>intel processors slow down if they get too hot, whilst with AMD's you can fry eggs with them. That is unless AMD has changed this recently.

Intel processors slow down sort of... the skip cycles... they don't slow down... actually.

Pentium IIIs freeze up.

I'm fairly sure athlon 64s freeze up

It was only the Athlon Thunderbirds that caught on fire if you took off the heatsink.

The main grounds i'm going on chipsets. Intel Chipsets, are far better for compatibility and stability. Thats not imporant, unless your planning to use your laptop as a media editing work station in which case it has to be carefully selected. its just theres no real advantage to amd on laptops... the nforce chipsets popularity is mainly due to SLI. Otherwise they wouldn't sell so well on the Intel platform... from a background of designing audio pcs and graphics design work stations, I can tell you this... though you can use them AMD's chipset offerings are harder to integrate with specialized hardware. But for consumers this is not a platform.
Old 2007-05-28, 11:55   Link #16
arcadeplayer987

Syaoran, I don't think your vista runs as well as xp with 1gb RAM.

Old 2007-05-28, 13:40   Link #17
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeplayer987 View Post
Syaoran, I don't think your vista runs as well as xp with 1gb RAM.
Possible ^^' Command & Conquer 3 is slower on that machine, but I don't really care... most of the time I'm just running Linux. Windows is for times I feel like running Visual C++/C# Express.

Old 2007-05-28, 21:43   Link #18
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoran View Post
Possible ^^' Command & Conquer 3 is slower on that machine, but I don't really care... most of the time I'm just running Linux. Windows is for times I feel like running Visual C++/C# Express.
My gaming rig is staying with XP, well that is until I am forced to go the way of the DX10 and by that time I prbly will get a new PC. Just a shame that the game I like to play the most only runs so so on wine.
Old 2007-05-29, 01:35   Link #19
ashesatdusk

A rule of thumb with Windows Operating system is what ever the minimum amount of ram, they require you should have at least 3x's as much for your system to be happy for day to day use. Vista is faster with Dual Core machines because its optimized for multi cores, XP is not. So despite it being a resource hog, vista on a lot of scenarios is faster than XP... despite the junk. Its something that shocked me, being that I do a lot of DAW designing (Audio production machines), it seems that 32bit Vista run with everything on is faster than XP stripped down to its bare essentials, on dual core machines.
Old 2007-06-01, 19:38   Link #20
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru Send a message via Skype™ to Takeru
I personally would go with HP, just because (in my experience) every HP I have had is/was like a rock and worked until the day the hardware became obsolete. As a matter of fact, I'm currently using a HP ze4500 that is over 3 years old and works better than most newer laptops, and the only problems I've ever had with it were from XP being stupid again. And, (don't know if you care), but Linux runs on them like a powerhouse and is even supported by HP.

On the flipside, I have a friend with an Acer and his computer runs faster (because it's 2 years newer than mine and has the fancy DualCore2, as opposed to my SoloCore 2.4GHz Celeron), and the battery lasts longer and has all the bells and whistles (built-in camera, microphone, etc) and haven't heard anything bad about it. (once again, don't know if you care) I've heard that Acer has problems with their display and audio drivers in Linux.

But yes, the RAM for HP notebooks do cost more, I got a 512MB card to add to the factory 256MB that I had and it ran me about $200 (a lot of money for me).

Last edited by Takeru; 2007-06-01 at 19:50.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote