AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-05-11, 04:13   Link #421
tlynnec
LLE, Live-evil, DB Staff
*Fansubber

Ok, does anyone know where i can play shougi online against real people in english. specifically, my brother and i want to play each other but we're on opposite sides of the world. Any help would be appreciated, 'cause i can't find any sites in english.
tlynnec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 16:51   Link #422
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Well, tlynnec, I have to tell you the truth. Everyone in this thread exchanged PM's, and we all decided to ignore your question until another episode of Shion is released!

Actually, I looked around a bit for you to see if there was free software you could run on your computer and play with someone using the same software over the Internet. So far my investigations looking for English software have been for naught. I'll give it another try.

There must be online shougi matches, but I'm betting they're all in Japanese. I know people in the US who play go; I've never met anyone here who plays shougi.

OT: One of my favorite sequences in Hikaru no Go is when Hikaru/Sai plays on the Internet. I just loved the juxtaposition of Sai with modern technology.
Old 2008-05-13, 18:32   Link #423
bayoab

Yahoo! appears to have had it at one point in english since there is a help set, but it appears to be gone. Yahoo! Japan has it of course. It is very likely that the majority of the players are on specialized servers like the majority of chess players were on FICS/ICC. There seem to be a number of results that rely on Java such as here, but I don't run Java. The pictures are in english though.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 19:32   Link #424
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

shougidojo.com refuses to register me ("YOUR REGISTRATION IS FAILURE") and gives me some message about using "free e-mail." Since I maintain my own domain and mail servers, I'm rather puzzled what that can mean. If anyone else can create an account at shougidojo, let us know.

I'm using Firefox on Fedora Linux 8 with libgcj providing Java. The applet loads fine; it just refuses to register me.
Old 2008-05-13, 19:34   Link #425
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynnec View Post
Patience is a virtue and I promise you will all be rewarded!
You're gonna buy us all a shougi board each?
Old 2008-05-13, 20:03   Link #426
tlynnec
LLE, Live-evil, DB Staff
*Fansubber

LOL, bribing the fansubber! Well, I have good news for you all anyway: translator just turned over another script, so you can expect 20 within the week. ^___^

Thanks for trying to find shougi sites... it's oddly comforting to know that I'm not the only person who can't find it! Perhaps will just have to play over IM. It'll be like the old days when people played chess long distance via letters. ;p
Old 2008-05-14, 00:38   Link #427
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynnec View Post
LOL, bribing the fansubber! Well, I have good news for you all anyway: translator just turned over another script, so you can expect 20 within the week. ^___^
* NoSanninWa jumps up and down with excitement.

Quote:
Thanks for trying to find shougi sites... it's oddly comforting to know that I'm not the only person who can't find it! Perhaps will just have to play over IM. It'll be like the old days when people played chess long distance via letters. ;p
You could try this site.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-14, 00:42   Link #428
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

That was the link I gave before deleting it.. it just that you get a random opponent when you sign in as guest (may be can be set, but I just freaked out when I'm suddenly faced with a board and a random guy #(something) as opponent.. I didnt actually sign up for the site tho , since I cant play this game at all
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-14, 06:39   Link #429
Saleh
Inactive

A random table is generated when you play as a guest on Kurnik/PlayOn so its highly unlikely that anyone will be able play with you unless you provide them with web address of the board after its created. Registered members can use interface similar to yahoo games to select their opponents. BrainKing is another nice online gaming site for chess(and many of its variants including Shogi, Xiangqi, etc), go, etc. Also, Shogi.net has many useful links for beginners incase anyone is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
shougidojo.com refuses to register me ("YOUR REGISTRATION IS FAILURE") and gives me some message about using "free e-mail." Since I maintain my own domain and mail servers, I'm rather puzzled what that can mean. If anyone else can create an account at shougidojo, let us know.

I'm using Firefox on Fedora Linux 8 with libgcj providing Java. The applet loads fine; it just refuses to register me.
Even though I haven't tried to register there IIRC that site will give you "YOUR REGISTRAION IS FAILURE." error for various domain addresses. If you want to resolve this issue then you should try sending an email to webmaster@shogidojo.com. He will usually reply to your email within a day and may provide you with a temp mail address to register with or process your form manually.
Old 2008-05-20, 11:08   Link #430
tlynnec
LLE, Live-evil, DB Staff
*Fansubber

Ep 20 is released. Sorry for the delay and thanks for being patient! links at www.live-evil.org
Old 2008-05-20, 17:41   Link #431
Molenir

Finally, just 2 more to go! Yeah! Thanks for the episode, looking forward to the last 2.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 08:35   Link #432
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Super Tuesday indeed! Thanks to everyone at Live-evil for bringing us this highly entertaining program. Now that you're subbing another show with a captivating young heroine, you seem to have a lock on the genre! I'm not sure even that girl can live up to the standard set by Shion, though. She's absolutely my favorite heroine since Balsa.

I watched the last three episodes in order for continuity; taken together they're pretty powerful.

Spoiler for Speculations:

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-05-21 at 14:48. Reason: removed reference to a show that may not be named
SeijiSensei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 09:27   Link #433
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Been a long time since iv seen an episode but damn the finger is squarely being pointed the Meijin. His eyes have always shown a kind of darkness and the fact that other Kishi can recognize Shion's playing style as similar to his says a lot. Her playing style was influenced by the killer thats already been proven. Then we have the random memories or association that started coming back to Shion after seeing the Meijin's habits. Dumping the pieces on the board, picking up the piece boxes with his forefingers and the comment he made to Shion which obviously no one else would know because it was said by the killer and Shion has not talked sense. We are past the point of playing games if we are heading in this direction by episode 20 Im 95% sure who the killer is. The question is why? Did he do it to excite himself for his match? Did he do it to get rid of rival? or did he literally create the kind of player hes always wanted to face?

This series has been grossly underestimated iv loved it so much i cant to finally finish it.

Ayumi giving Shion that star as gift and them both blushing was so kawii i like them together. Shion's dad acted like a typical dad and her mom like a typical mom.
Old 2008-05-21, 13:24   Link #434
Echoes

The tension in this show is amazing. Thanks a lot for subbing the episode, it was the highlight of the week for me. Live-Evil sure are subbing the right shows.
Old 2008-05-21, 22:49   Link #435
Guido

Demon Killer

I'm grateful to #Live-Evil for delivering this episode to Shion no Ou, which was packed with high adrenaline and a devil's cliffhanger.

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 22:43   Link #436
way2slow

Send a message via AIM to way2slow
Who woulda thought Ep 21 got released.
The episode was a slow pace, but finally, we get to see Shion all fired up for the next episode.
way2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 01:04   Link #437
Molenir

Hehe, what Guido said awhile back may be right, but watching the end of episode 21, you can tell, the Meijin shoulda kept his mouth shut, now hes got a war on his hands.

Please, please tell me the final episode is just around the corner. Already watched it raw, but really looking forward to the final subs!
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 09:45   Link #438
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

I'm not gonna fall for the trap again.. This time.. I'm going to actually wait until the next episode is released before watching in 1 sitting.. Last episode was a torture ≧︿≦
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 01:25   Link #439
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Thanks, Live-evil!

I was close to posting a phony Daily Variety story about how thousands of angry anime fans had seized the "palatial Hollywood offices" of L-E trapping tlynnec in her office and demanding the release of the next episode of Shion. I even had the boffo Variety headline: "No Ou? No Go!" Oh well, you folks spoiled all my fun, but thanks for the release.

I hope the "A" team came back for the final episode. Ep. 21 looks like even the "B" team was working on some other project. I know I could look at the raw to see, but I really prefer waiting for our friends to deliver their final installment.

Despite the innate horror of the scene itself, pre-school Shion was beyond cute.
Old 2008-07-01, 06:50   Link #440
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Live-evil much props for getting episode 21 this is one the most underrated series that has been out in the past year. So we finally know what happen that night and why the Meijin killed Shions parents. Im just not sure why he went after his brothers girl it might be she knew that he would try something like this. At this point i dont think Meijin cares if hes caught this is the pinnacle of what he has created. I think he will be satisfied as long as he gets to finish his game with Shion. I was proud of Ayumi for wanting to protect Shion instead of becoming his apprentice and resigning in front of everyone. Excellent episode i cant wait to see how its going end. Shion's determination to beat the him was uplifting. But the scenes of murder with chibi Shion was disturbing but Shion was so cute that i focused mainly on that. Watching her wiping away her tears while playing Shougi was beyond cute especially when she took her king off the board to keep him taking it. SOOOOO KAWII

This is series i will have to marathon once its all subbed.

Tags
drama, games, loli, seinen, studio deen