AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-01, 17:43   Link #441
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal

My favourite series of...2007, I guess.
It's a happy day whenever another episode shows up on the trackers.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 00:33   Link #442
tlynnec
LLE, Live-evil, DB Staff
*Fansubber

Just a quick note to let you all know...

the final episode is less than 17 hours from release! Hope you all will enjoy it as much as I do. ^^
tlynnec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 17:47   Link #443
Guido

Guys, wonderful news.

#Live-Evil, at long last, have now finally released the ending episode.

The wait is over.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 23:29   Link #444
atividia

Wonderful ending to an amazing series. The animation near the end turned to crap, but that's okay. Everything else made the series absolutely amazing.

9/10 for me.
atividia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 02:48   Link #445
_juu
*_*~

Send a message via ICQ to _juu
aaawww...
what a nice ending.
I'm so glad for Shion!

And Satoru punching the Mejin was made of pure win.
Just wish that everybody could have punched him...

It has to be a 10/10 for me. I just enjoyed everything in this series from beginning to start. Definately planning to rewatch sometime soon.
Old 2008-07-05, 14:28   Link #446
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'm satisfied with the last episode of Shion no Ou. The questions were answered, and it didn't seem at all false. My only question is when in the series did they top using manga material, though that's something i can find out anytime by asking around.

It was rather sweet when Shion started to speak again, though i would have thought speaking during the actually match would have made more of an impact. The shogi match was over the top, the way i love it so i'm happy. Brilliant series -- just a shame Ayumi had to go all male on us.

Thanks a lot Live-Evil. It wouldn't have been possible without you.
Old 2008-07-05, 21:43   Link #447
molitar

I loved this series and how so far into it that it seemed to be the Meijin brother and not the Meijin that did the murder. With the times that Meijin brother gave Shion quite the evil eye and seemed to be upsetting her I really did think it was him for quite a few episodes only to find out he was making her remember and to draw his brother out as the murderer.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 02:23   Link #448
Molenir

My understanding is, that the final episode had a different director. And that that was the reason for the difference in animation quality. Having seen it, I have to say, that the final epi director ought to have been fired. The confrontation scene between the brothers was especially bad, with jerky puppet like movements.

I was a bit disappointed in the final outcome as well. The reasons behind the Meijin's actions seemed kind of weak. The explanation just didn't seem to justify his actions. I mean, creating a super strong opponent, in order to make yourself stronger as well, just doesn't seem like much of a motive for murder. Perhaps that was intentional though. I mean how can one ever really justify murder.

Overall though, this is definitely a must watch series. I really enjoyed it. 10/10 for me, despite the crappy animation in the final episode.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 03:38   Link #449
Hamu

totally agree with everyone here!
Live-evil you guys are the best subbers ever! I probably wouldn't have watched Shion no Ou till the end if it weren't for your subs (mostly because of all those confusing shogi terms) THANK YOU!

The art totally went from weird in ep. 21 to just plain bad in ep.22! but the funny thing is that as the art got worse the music got amazingly good and intense lol! but I kinda wish that the remaining two episodes would have had the same amazing art as some of the previous ones (i think its 18 and 19 or something?)

shion no ou has definitely been one of the most underated series! can't believe that they played so many red herrings and kept everyone guessing till the very last few episodes. seriously, they pointed the finger at everyone from Shion's adopted father, Satoru to the old man with the mustache (can't remember his name) only wish there were more episodes or a second seasons. aah.. I want to see more Shion!! she's soooooo cuuuuuuuuuuuute!
Hamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 08:39   Link #450
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Thanks Live Evil for subbing this.. For a series to carry itself on its own story alone enough for me rooted on my chair tru the whole thing is not an easy feat
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 10:20   Link #451
Zippicus

I'll just toss in my general agreement with everyone else. Shion was super cute, loved the series, thanks Live-Evil.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 16:29   Link #452
Guido

True Criminal

Guys, I'm still an episode away before concluding the series, although I've downloaded the final episode since yesterday.

The animation for the scene of Kazumi's murder was in one word: Weird.

Look so surreal, as if a nightmare splashed all over the screen.

Spoiler for Shion against the Meijin:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 17:18   Link #453
Kora

Finished watching just right now...amazing! yet i think that Meijin's reason was a bit off; and it seemed that in the end he didn't care if he was caught (all the talking with Shion, did he really expect her not to even give a hint to someone that he's telling things only murderer known; necklace, tape etc)

does anyone knows if there's differences from manga and if the story continues, than how?

Many thanks to Live Evil for subbing!
Kora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 01:38   Link #454
karasuma

This is a nice anime.. If that is the reason to commit murder, what a sad person he is.
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 03:27   Link #455
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I loved the ending, but I feel they didn't explain enough of a reason why the Meijin wanted to kill Shion's parents. I mean, we get the overall picture, but not what exactly put the Meijin over the hill and made him snap. He said beforehand that his friend hinting at Shion's brilliance was not what made him snap. It felt like that traumatic moment for the Meijin was missing.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 06:52   Link #456
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
What a great ending to a underrated series. I feel i understand everything now even Matoko's reasons for murdering Shion's parents i understand it but what a sad person he is to take it that far. The highlight of the final episode was watching Shion finally talk and watching Ayumi and the rest try to catch up Shion once they realized she had left them behind. Great story memorable characters set to the back drop of a murder and Shougi. Shion has to be one of the cutest lil sister types in anime right now.
Old 2008-07-07, 12:14   Link #457
Molenir

Not sure how underrated this series really is. I don't think as many people watched it as watched say Death Note or Geass. But then I don't think Shion is as good as those series, though speaking for myself, I liked Shion more then I liked either of the others. I think it mostly had to do with how slow the series was to release, and the word of mouth about it. Now that its complete, I suspect more people will watch it. My brother for example watched the first 3 episodes, saw that it was a murder mystery and decided he had to wait until it was complete before watching any more. Couldn't take the suspense. I suspect that there are quite a few others like him who will watch it now that its done.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 14:44   Link #458
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
Not sure how underrated this series really is. I don't think as many people watched it as watched say Death Note or Geass. But then I don't think Shion is as good as those series, though speaking for myself, I liked Shion more then I liked either of the others. I think it mostly had to do with how slow the series was to release, and the word of mouth about it. Now that its complete, I suspect more people will watch it. My brother for example watched the first 3 episodes, saw that it was a murder mystery and decided he had to wait until it was complete before watching any more. Couldn't take the suspense. I suspect that there are quite a few others like him who will watch it now that its done.
I think a lot of people passed over the series because they thought it was all about Shougi. Which is a shame because the plot and writing were pretty solid. The characters themselves even brought life to the series even though it was pretty slow moving. If i had to compare it to something i would say its like one of those old murder mysteries. Though this isnt for everyone i throughly enjoyed the series its nice to have a change of pace from Mecha, ecchi, and mindless fighting animes.
Old 2008-07-07, 17:36   Link #459
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Well, I'll to have admit it, I thought Makoto's explanation for his deed was just ridiculous. He murders the parents so that Shion will be alone like he was? (Though he wasn't really; he just chose to abandon his brother.) Did he really think a four-year-old child would be out on the street after this event? What if she had been adopted by people who didn't care a lick for Shougi? How would that have helped his cause? Shion's development as a Shougi player was a lucky accident in this model of events because she happened to be adopted by the Yasuokas. Perhaps he expected that outcome, but he didn't mention it despite mouthing off for the longest time during the match.

And, he decided to do this because of one conversation about one particular move Shion made at her age? I'm sorry, but it's just all too unbelievable for me, and certainly insufficient to justify 22 episodes of build-up. Manga readers, is that more or less the explanation given there as well?

That said, there were many admirable things about this program, particularly the characterizations and voice acting. I just wish Studio DEEN had been willing to stick with the same animation team throughout. I felt a bit "abused" (for lack of a better word) after being sucked into the show then watching the animation quality go down the tubes at the end. It seemed rather manipulative -- now that we know you're going to watch this anyway, we're moving our best animators to work on our next show, so you'll get sucked into that, while leaving Shion with our least-qualified staff to finish up.

The ending and the animation quality both took this show down a notch for me, but I still think Shion is the best heroine I've seen since Balsa the Spearwielder in Seirei no Moribito. Sometimes she could seem a bit too good to be true, but then you'd see the flashes of anger or hurt cross her face and appreciate her depth of character. Kawasumi Ayako played a major role in fleshing out her character in my mind as well.

And, of course, thanks so much to the L-E team. Maybe tlynnec can tell us how the Shougi tournament mentioned in the closing billboard turns out.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-07-08 at 05:04.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-09, 01:53   Link #460
tlynnec
LLE, Live-evil, DB Staff
*Fansubber

Someone actually reads the ending bits!

It's actually not a tournament, more of an open invitation. Several of the L-E staff will be at Otakon, dressed as Shion characters, and carrying shougi sets. If you see any of us and want to play (or learn), just ask. I don't guarantee that we're any good, but we do have fun playing!

P.S. We still don't have anyone to cosplay as Shion, so if you know anyone who fits the bill and is going to Otakon...
tlynnec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, games, loli, seinen, studio deen