AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2007-11-06, 01:31   Link #101
White Manju Bun
God of Calamity
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Anyway, time to say what i actually planned to say --- Romi Paku voicing a male that's pretending to be a female. If you ask me that's always the perfect role for her, my favourite voice. <3
She was the main reason I decided to chk Shion out. I love that she uses both her male and female voice for Saito since I love hearing her male voice just a bit more. She is so awesome

Im pretty impressed with the series so far. It holds me for some reason, Im not sure why yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SejiSensei
This show has possibilities if the writers can keep the story complex. I'm a bit concerned that cramming everything into twelve episodes may force a lot of short cuts in the storytelling.
That I am worried about even though I havent read any of the manga yet but its something that could possibly happen with a short series.
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 06:46   Link #102
kenshinvn

I do agree with most of you for Saito's VA. Romi Paku's male voice is so cool and I can't resist myself from waiting for Saito's male verson to come out.

The 3rd episode gives me a bit mess of storyline but it's still attractive. I really like the way that Shion chose her own way to fight again the fear and determined to figured out the murderer. We can read this just by looking at her eyes. Her tiny figure sometimes makes me want to hug her and protect her from danger.

Keep waiting for the next episode!
Old 2007-11-06, 07:01   Link #103
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
She was the main reason I decided to chk Shion out. I love that she uses both her male and female voice for Saito since I love hearing her male voice just a bit more. She is so awesome
Paku was my original reason to check out Shion no Ou --- this is before i knew anything about the series, and it's like that with pretty much every series she has been in, apart from the one's i've been waiting for (like Turn A Gundam, NANA to name a few). She's perfect for Saito. Not just for the male/female swap, though for her character --- very strong with a goal. The typr of character you'll usually see Paku voicing. Such a strong voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
It holds me for some reason, Im not sure why yet.
The mystery~
Old 2007-11-07, 02:52   Link #104
tlynnec
LLE, Live-evil, DB Staff
*Fansubber

Ep 4 is out from Live-evil, enjoy ^^

Also, for those of you in the mood in a bit of humor, check out the bonus second track on ep 3 HD. ^_~
tlynnec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 04:18   Link #105
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Freaky. It's as if Live-eviL is now speedsubbing. You're weirding me out.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 05:57   Link #106
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Live long enough...

lol.
Old 2007-11-07, 07:37   Link #107
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynnec View Post
Ep 4 is out from Live-evil, enjoy ^^

Also, for those of you in the mood in a bit of humor, check out the bonus second track on ep 3 HD. ^_~
Had to watch the ep through with normal subs first, but the second sub track is amusing. . . in a troll/fakesub kind of way. But then, I tend to dig those anyway, as long as they're done well. Which this is. ^_^;
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 14:30   Link #108
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Wow, episode four was outstanding --- that was a sudden rush of enjoyment from start until finish. I also find that i'm learning certain rules here and there as i progress in this series, thanks to Live-Evil.

I haven't heard that much Paku in one episode since the NANA days. Her sudden change in tone made that match all the more interesting for me --- that and the sudden shocked face/hair moving from certain moves, brilliant. I love this show.
Old 2007-11-07, 17:52   Link #109
tlynnec
LLE, Live-evil, DB Staff
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Well, we do have to live up to the "Evil" part occasionally
tlynnec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 18:16   Link #110
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Interesting series, though it's a pity STUDIO DEEN of all orgs is animating it. They're a god-awful company who ruined Higgy and FSN; too much emphasis on seiyuu in their productions and not enough on script, animation and artwork.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 18:35   Link #111
bmfrosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
It's not that weird. Remember Wolf's Rain?

bmfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 18:59   Link #112
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Oh dear. Yes, I do. Though perhaps more notable was Tsubasa season 1. Point taken. Sometimes L-E does attempt speedy subs.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 00:18   Link #113
Kaoru Chujo
Sakura Ayane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
Interesting series, though it's a pity STUDIO DEEN of all orgs is animating it. They're a god-awful company who ruined Higgy and FSN; too much emphasis on seiyuu in their productions and not enough on script, animation and artwork.
I like some of Studio Deen's work a lot, but it seems to me to have a very wide range, from very rich to quite sketchy.

I thought the script, animation and art in Simoun were outstanding, and very good in Touka Gettan. On the other hand, there are things like Code-E and Amenaideyo, which were pretty disappointing, to various extents and in various ways. And Marimite was not Kanon, but I thought the animation was decent. Your point about them concentrating on seiyuus was very interesting, however.

In Shion, I think the character and art design are good and we'll see them at their best every few episodes, whenever the A-team is in charge.
SAKURA Ayane 佐倉綾音 age 20. Dream Eater Merry; Hotarubi no Mori e (movie) Hotaru; Joshiraku Buratei Marii; NakaImo Miyabi; Kokoro Connect Yui's sister; Vividred Operation Akane; Toaru Majutsu no Index: Endymion no Kiseki (movie) Ladylee; Aiura Mei; Love Lab "Eno"; il sole penetra le illusioni Fuyuna; Eccentric Family Kaisei; High School DxD New Gaspard; Kimi no Iru Machi Asuka; Non Non Biyori Natsumi; Tokyo Ravens Suzuka; Engaged to the Unidentified Nadeshiko; Pretty Rhythm All Star Selection: Prism Show Best Ten (movie) Ayami, Rinne; Selector Infected Wixoss Yuzuki; Dragonar Academy Silvia; Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? Kokoa; Knights of Sidonia Mozuku.
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2014 previews | spring 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Nobunaga the Fool | Nisekoi | Wixoss | Isshuukan Friends | Brynhildr in the Darkness | Kanojo ga Flag wo Oretara | Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to | Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san | Soul Eater Not | No Game, No Life | Is the Order a Rabbit? | Nanana's Buried Treasure | Mekakucity Actors | Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei | Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou | Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Knights of Sidonia
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 21:52   Link #114
Guido

Demon's Move

All I want to say is that I felt that the animation visuals improved substantially in the fourth episode, and the music was spectacular to convey those feelings of anxiety and nervousness as the match unfolded.

After watching how Shougi was played in Saito and Shion's match, I understood that Shougi requires or inclines one to thoroughly analyze carefully his or her moves before playing, and that intuition is a must in Shougi.
It was true as well that Shougi even allows to play the pieces that one captures from his or her opponent.

I cannot even picture the strain and stress that kishi endure as they play a fierce match of Shougi for real.
Shion was at her limit, but she want that exciting sensation to endure all the way until the end of the match.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 10:18   Link #115
GoldAlchemist
Yamada...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
In Shion, I think the character and art design are good and we'll see them at their best every few episodes, whenever the A-team is in charge.
The eyes of Shion speak it all!

But i agree with you that Studio Deen's works, ai..., vary a lot in terms of quality. They're rather weak when it comes to porting materials from visual novel like Fate/Stay Night.
GoldAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 10:42   Link #116
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Just picked this up...

Liking it a lot so far. Though I wish we'd get better shots of the shougi, since I actually know something about the game, I'd actually be interested in staring at the whole board for more than half a second. Even when we get good shots, the camera is usually at such an angle that I can't read the pieces
Story is going interesting places - it's like everyone is up to something, which makes it fun.
Could Shion be any cuter?
Old 2007-11-09, 13:28   Link #117
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
I wonder if Hani-meijin suspects that Saito's a boy, since he remarked that the playing style both were using in the match resemble men's shougi.
This whole thing about the genders not competing against one another in board games just seems weird to this Westerner. I had the same reaction to the school tournaments in Hikaru no Go. Females aren't "naturally" weaker in board games than men; why are they treated seemingly like second-class citizens? Is this some "women are kinder" stereotype? Shion may look shy and weak and "kind," but I have the impression she doesn't play that way. Why should she?

Women have proven formidable competitors in games like bridge and poker. I don't know much about professional chess. It used to be strongly dominated by men, but I'd bet democratization has occurred across class, race and gender lines there as well. Are there any other competitive games (not sports) where segregation by sex seems to be the norm?
Old 2007-11-09, 19:55   Link #118
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Females aren't "naturally" weaker in board games than men; why are they treated seemingly like second-class citizens? Is this some "women are kinder" stereotype?
If you'd rather not think of it as being a result of Japan's residual patriarchal society, then think of it as women having different thought processes than men. Apparently people who know enough about Shougi to make these kinds of observations can tell the difference between men's and women's Shougi just from watching the plays.
Old 2007-11-11, 09:06   Link #119
GoldAlchemist
Yamada...

Episode 5 is a continuation from the previous one with very little new material introduced. There's a small surprise, if you can call it one since i totally anticipate that to happen, but not much else. Shion is as kawaii as ever and we're going to see her naked next week.

The progress of the story slows substantially. I'm wondering if we'll have a proper ending by episode 12 (someone earlier mentioned this is going to be the final episode). Hopefully, we won't have to read a lot from wiki by then to know what's going on. Studio Deen made me did exactly that for Fate/Stay Night.
GoldAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 16:33   Link #120
Kaoru Chujo
Sakura Ayane

Check out Star Crossed's blog post for ep5. In the comments, Daijin has posted links to pages with pics of the original model for Hani Meijin, and of the author of the story, who was herself a shougi prodigy who debuted at 12 years old, like Shion.

And FPB, if you can find the manga, I think the matches are shown in more detail there.

I liked ep5.
SAKURA Ayane 佐倉綾音 age 20. Dream Eater Merry; Hotarubi no Mori e (movie) Hotaru; Joshiraku Buratei Marii; NakaImo Miyabi; Kokoro Connect Yui's sister; Vividred Operation Akane; Toaru Majutsu no Index: Endymion no Kiseki (movie) Ladylee; Aiura Mei; Love Lab "Eno"; il sole penetra le illusioni Fuyuna; Eccentric Family Kaisei; High School DxD New Gaspard; Kimi no Iru Machi Asuka; Non Non Biyori Natsumi; Tokyo Ravens Suzuka; Engaged to the Unidentified Nadeshiko; Pretty Rhythm All Star Selection: Prism Show Best Ten (movie) Ayami, Rinne; Selector Infected Wixoss Yuzuki; Dragonar Academy Silvia; Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? Kokoa; Knights of Sidonia Mozuku.
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2014 previews | spring 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Nobunaga the Fool | Nisekoi | Wixoss | Isshuukan Friends | Brynhildr in the Darkness | Kanojo ga Flag wo Oretara | Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to | Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san | Soul Eater Not | No Game, No Life | Is the Order a Rabbit? | Nanana's Buried Treasure | Mekakucity Actors | Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei | Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou | Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Knights of Sidonia
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, games, loli, seinen, studio deen