AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 15 23.08%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 33.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 29.23%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 9.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.08%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-05-28, 08:26   Link #101
Mueti
あ!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Japan
Age: 27
Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I just think the deadline for it to act and give us the necessary things we need to appreciate its attempts at drama such as character background is very quickly approaching.
Yes, it sure is. Admittedly so far I patiently waited for them to provide those little pieces of characterbackground. If that won't change very soon though (I think the beginning of the next ep - Yorito interrupting Matsuri and Aono - would be a good chance), I won't be interested in the characters anymore by the time they choose to inform us about what motivated them all along.


btw, who's at fault for the stupid tranlation of this episode's title at anidb? Lunar?
__________________
Mueti is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 08:28   Link #102
Overture
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Spoiler for Matsuri vs. Aono:

Last edited by Overture; 2007-05-28 at 12:39.
Overture is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 08:41   Link #103
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
The thought of this makes me lol. I could see a certain recently-crowned mod and overly-enthusiastic Matsuri fan eating serious humble pie if this turned out to happen. And it's certainly not completely outside the realm of possibility.
Oh, i will eat my hat if that happens. Not willingly, but i will. However, the chances of Matsuri turning out "evil" (let alone doing something that would surpass Aono's actions, meaning mindraping and killing intent) are quite slim. Sure, it is not out of the realm of possibilities, however i think that my chances of seeing you trip over these words are higher than you seeing me eat my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
I just think the deadline for it to act and give us the necessary things we need to appreciate its attempts at drama such as character background is very quickly approaching.
I will agree on this notion. But i fully expect some revelations brought by the next episode - all the gang will be together, and perhaps even Takashi will turn up for a good measure, so i think the time is just about right for the story between all of them to reveal itself.
__________________
Skyfall is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 09:07   Link #104
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
I agree with both Sorrow-K and Pellissier. The timing is starting to jar a bit. That said, I rated this episode rather highly, largely due to watching it and episode 7 in succession, to make sure everything was fresh for me. As such, it works better, as a standalone, it needs work.

There isn't really much for me to add - I felt the music timing wasn't too bad, although the cues when Mana was invading the house were a bit odd. The character development, as such, was limited almost entirely to Mana and Aono here - Yorito effectively showed no change, neither did Matsuri, or any of the other supplementary characters. And since this is a show that is thriving on its characters alone, not on any form of elevated or highly original plot, this was disappointing.

It would have been better to space it out more - this scene could have easily still occurred in this episode, but with more backstory for us to understand why Aono is so angry and homicidal towards Matsuri, and so clingy towards Yorito, why Matsuri is so willing to simply take Aono's instructions and try to fade out of their lives. Motivations are sadly lacking here, and I fear that sola might be racing past the point where it can be brought back under control.

Hopefully I'm wrong. I've highly enjoyed the show so far, and am looking forward to the next episode - it wouldn't surprise me to see Aono and Matsuri's fight/argument interspersed with flashbacks in sequence before Yorito arrives, giving us some much needed additional tension, before he leaps in front of speeding paper missiles to save Matsuri, perhaps, thus cementing Aono's failure in her own mind and giving Matsuri something to ponder... speculation aside, I hope that the next episode manages to give us some more substance.

That said, I don't want to see an episode of "fight scene with Yorito appearing to finish, flashback for five-ten minutes of exposition, aftermath of fight scene in future". Although there isn't enough detail here so far, we can't have it shoveled onto us now, or else it'll simply bring everything else down. Here's hoping.


-Andiyar
__________________
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"
andiyar is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 09:48   Link #105
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
I don't know if Matsuri could be the villain, however, there's something that is not making sense. Matsuri's actions have taken a 180° turn from a very specific moment of the anime: when Yorito mentioned the name of "Aono". From that time, Matsuri has been mysterious, incomprehensible and then fleeing without a valid reason among the field of certainties that the series has given us so far. There must be at least a BIG secret on her past, that we still are not aware of. A secret related to Aono.
I also want to give Aono the benefit of the doubt, for being - as Andiyar said - so homicidal towards Matsuri and so clingy towards Yorito.

Matsuri on episode 8 said: "I broke a promise, so I deserved to be stabbed". I don't believe she's talking of the promise she made to Yorito (episode 2) of not running away.
As mentioned already, it's more likely that the mentioned promise is one that she made long ago to Aono. Like "I'm going to stay away from Yorito, forever" , or "I'm leaving you Yorito" , perhaps as an apology for the fact of having saved Aono's life, turning her in a Yaka.
That would explain quite a bit, and perhaps even next episode's title, whereas the "ending of a promise" might be Matsuri's decision to not give up anymore on Yorito, deciding to accept fighting Aono for the sake of her love (yes, it's the romantic me speaking here ^^ )
__________________

Last edited by Pellissier; 2007-05-28 at 13:05. Reason: typo
Pellissier is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 09:49   Link #106
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Aono's pretty wacko now.
Spoiler for ep.8:



Well, the next ep. title could mean that..

Spoiler:


I also thought it was interesting that Yorito read Aono the riot act about being blood related brother and sister.

Oh yeah, after ep. 9, we'll be in the range of the first DVD only episode supposedly on DVD volume 4.
__________________

Last edited by orion; 2007-05-28 at 10:10.
orion is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 09:55   Link #107
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Matsuri on episode 8 said: "I broke a promise, so I deserved to be stabbed". I don't believe she's talking of the promise she made to Yorito (episode) of not running away.
Couldn't it be that the mentioned promise is one that she made long ago to Aono? Like "I'm going to stay away from Yorito, forever" , or "I'm leaving you Yorito" , perhaps as an apology for the fact of having saved Aono's life, turning her in a Yaka.
That would explain quite a bit, and perhaps even next episode's title, whereas the "ending of a promise" might be Matsuri's decision to not give up anymore on Yorito, deciding to accept fighting Aono for the sake of her love (yes, it's the romantic me speaking here ^^ )
I think it is pretty certain she is talking about the promise she made to Aono just a few days back: that she will never appear in front of them again. This also why she doesn't want to heal her wound (apparently it is nothing for a Yaka to do so, according to rozen-loli) - she feels guilty. Though i agree - her guilt seems a bit extreme. Something else must be there... unless she is really timid despite her appearances, and self-sacrificial.

As for your explanation of the "ending of a promise" - i had never thought of it in this way, but it does make sense Much more than the other promise we know about, which would be Yorito showing Matsuri the blue sky
__________________
Skyfall is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 10:01   Link #108
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 29
Watched the Lunar sub. This one was creepy as heck.

Well, I'm not sure how to put this, but I wasn't exactly comfortable with this episode this time round. I can't really put a finger to it; perhaps it's the fact that the direction of this series has taken a turn for the downright surreal all too quickly, or maybe because there were some inconsistencies in the animation that I can't really point out, or maybe it's simply because Aono's behaviour creeps me out big time.

Or maybe it's just me being hamstrung by the fact that I have a lot of work to do tomorrow, which means I may be too stressed to enjoy this one fully. Sigh.

In any case, what I felt was that Episode 8 was running on high-tempo throughout its 24-minute run; very tiring, to be sure. I don't know who it was that said that plot took a smoke break, but I'm inclined to disagree; there's so much going on in this one that I almost feel choked by it. Few, if any, light moments to lift the tension even just a bit; for a while, I was wondering if I was watching the same show I've been watching for the past few weeks.

Aono....is sick in the head, period. I mean, what the heck is she doing to poor Yorito?! And the way she's been behaving throughout...classic paranoid overpossessive behaviour. She scares me silly; that girl's a few centuries overdue for a pshrink. No wonder Sora-baka prefers the overconfident, but well-adjusted Matsuri...I hope Aono can redeem herself in the end, but as it looks, she's digging herself deeper and deeper into a pit from which I can't foresee her getting out of.

On another note, the seiyuu performance is top-notch this episode. Is it something about psycho-episodes in the characters they play that brings the best out of the seiyuus? I have increasing respect for Nobuhiko (Yorito) and Nakahara (Aono), Honda (Mana) is coming into her own, and even Koshimizu (Sae) wasn't as grating on my mind as she had been. On the other hand, Mamiko (Matsuri) seemed a little subdued this time round, and Kaneda's (Mayuko) remain as much of an enigma as it had been since the beginning.

I also really enjoyed the BGM in this one. They had better release a piano album for this, because they're songs I want to add to my repertoire.

All in all, I think I didn't quite enjoy this episode as much as previous ones because....alright, I'll admit a guilty pleasure here. Because I'm suffering from Matsuri withdrawal. I mean, it's almost as if everything good about Sola hinges on her; with her in the background and absent for most of the time, it's like a certain magic has disappeared from the story along with her. In return, we're getting more and more tension as befits a mystery-drama like this, but it's getting to the point where I'm just wishing for a simple light-hearted sequence with Matsuri.

So....I don't know. Just because I don't feel comfortable with this episode doesn't mean I think it's bad, although I'm sure it could use some work. I'm fully in tune with the fact that a story like Sola needs its characters to have mysterious backgrounds to work, but I think the point has come where it's time to feed us, the audience, the answers we crave. Not a crapload of it all at once, of course, that would be a cardinal sin.....but the time for baiting us is past, I think.

I'll throw this one an 8, for lack of good reason to vote any higher, and for lack of good reason to vote any lower. I'm just confused enough as it is.
Ascaloth is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 10:38   Link #109
kct
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the office, staring at my secretary shipgirl
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to kct
Ascaloth: I basically suffered the same thing last week with exams last week, and there is simply too much developments with huge impacts in the animes I'm watching (Matsuri getting stabbed in sola without warning, and
Spoiler for huge plot twist for the show Gurren Lagan:
, so I do understand your predicament in a way (I put off everything until the exam is done over with).

As someone have said on a page or two back, we see the drama coming to us. Only that we do not expect the drama to be fired at us this way, I mean, I do not expect the drama to be in this side of insane. I wonder how the production team is going to wrap up the anime for the big finish, this is already episode 8, and there is about 4 more episodes to go before the said extra DVD-only episodes (which I hope DOES NOT contain the true end).

Personally, Aono is trying a bit too hard to maintain her hold on Yorito (it is funny that Nakahara's other major character of the season is trying too hard in the game of one-up last week in another anime), but it is never funny when one resorts to dirty tricks to achieve the objective.

As for Matsuri going on about breaking the promise, it is not exactly her fault. Yorito went after her in impulse, the situation basically demands for it.

Last edited by monir; 2007-05-28 at 11:09. Reason: spoiler tags added
kct is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 11:12   Link #110
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by kct View Post

As for Matsuri going on about breaking the promise, it is not exactly her fault. Yorito went after her in impulse, the situation basically demands for it.

Actually, she broke a promise with Yorito which was her fault. She could have told Aono to stuff it but she didn't. She retreated because it was easier to break a promise with Yorito then to confront Aono, her past, her feelings for Yorito and move forward imo. Second chances are rare. Matsuri should go for it.
__________________
orion is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 12:50   Link #111
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: State of Denial
Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Can any one give an explanation of Mana and Koyori's exchange after the credits?

I didn't fully understand it.
Kyuusai is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 13:13   Link #112
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Actually, she broke a promise with Yorito which was her fault. She could have told Aono to stuff it but she didn't. She retreated because it was easier to break a promise with Yorito then to confront Aono, her past, her feelings for Yorito and move forward imo. Second chances are rare. Matsuri should go for it.
haha i feel your pain...well that the matsuri we all know and love...she honest and true to herself but at the same time just a bit naive...she bounded by guilt to aono which is why she agreed to her conditions in the first place...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Can any one give an explanation of Mana and Koyori's exchange after the credits?

I didn't fully understand it.
i dont understand what you mean
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 13:33   Link #113
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
i dont understand what you mean
I think he means a translation into human language of the preview, whereas Mana and Koyori were speaking non sense.

But as far as I remember every preview so far was pretty much non sense, so that's no big news
__________________
Pellissier is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 14:01   Link #114
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: State of Denial
Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I think he means a translation into human language of the preview, whereas Mana and Koyori were speaking non sense.

But as far as I remember every preview so far was pretty much non sense, so that's no big news
I can't really call those "previews".

But, yes, that's it.

I'm assuming that this is a pun just like most all the others. I just couldn't parse this one, nor did the fansub have an explanation.

Last edited by Kyuusai; 2007-05-28 at 14:11.
Kyuusai is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 14:41   Link #115
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
I've pretty much ignored them as sources of useful info.
__________________
orion is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 15:07   Link #116
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
After going back and checking, the Aono substantially younger then Yorito is looking fishy. (consider he's on his knees)

Spoiler for Screens:


---
Preview:
Mana: Why do you refer to Mana as Mana-san, Kayori?
Kayori: Kayori.. saw it.. Onee-chan.. did a.. (something that sounds like "Morimiya-"; just think of it as Mana getting angry and Kayori switching words) ..chop on streams around the forest that turn into feet-.. *bong* ( <-- Mana chop chop) Aww!~
I don't know what you people find so mysterious and hard to understand
Oh and there's no useful info it's just funny.
__________________
felix is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 15:07   Link #117
stonedzombie
またね
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to stonedzombie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Textbook melodrama. Still trying to figure out exactly why I should care about these characters. This director is doing a terrible job as well. He's failing at setting an absorbing atmosphere and the everything about the execution of this series seems somewhat off kilter, from the timing of dialogue and rhythm of the succession of events to even the use of music and animation (yes, not his responsibility, but the director is always the easiest person to blame, IMO).

My complaints from the last episode still haven't gone away, and the longer important things like character background go untended, the more my opinion of this show slips.


Yes, bravo. Couldn't have said it better myself. All we learnt from this episode were things most of us suspected anyway, and the plot totally stagnated for much of it while they tried to sell Yorito screaming and knocking some books and Aono around as "drama". We need to learn about these characters before we can start calling any of it "drama"... all this is is just melodrama surrounding unsympathetic flat characters.

Absolutely totally agree. Sympathetic characters that the audience can understand and then have a possibility of relating to and caring about are the key ingredient to a good story that really enthralls the audience and drama that can move its viewers. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that there's an optimal time-frame for character development, and this show is well and truly in high risk of missing it.
The thought of this makes me lol. I could see a certain recently-crowned mod and overly-enthusiastic Matsuri fan eating serious humble pie if this turned out to happen. And it's certainly not completely outside the realm of possibility.

I really think this show is making some really basic errors and in the hands of a better director, it could be a lot better. That's my evaluation of things so far. But this show does still have five or so eps to turn things around. I just think the deadline for it to act and give us the necessary things we need to appreciate its attempts at drama such as character background is very quickly approaching.

I think you're being a bit too hard on the series. Yeah, most of of episode 8 was just emotional reaction to episode 7. But hey, this is drama to the max. You're saying that charcters backround is left untended.....I disagree. Little by little, they're exploring the backround of every character. So far, we've found out the Aono is a yaka, she was turned into one by Matsui, Yorito has some previous connection to Aono and Matsui, and pretty much how Yorito died in the past. I think this is plenty of character background, considering we're only about to hit ep 9. Also, everything you've guessed to be right, is just speculation right now. I know it looks like you have everything figured out, but I bet they throw a huge curveball you weren't expecting by the end.
__________________
MYSPACE
Currently Watching: Bleach, Clannad
stonedzombie is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 17:38   Link #118
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
After going back and checking, the Aono substantially younger then Yorito is looking fishy. (consider he's on his knees)

Spoiler for Screens:


---
Preview:
Mana: Why do you refer to Mana as Mana-san, Kayori?
Kayori: Kayori.. saw it.. Onee-chan.. did a.. (something that sounds like "Morimiya-"; just think of it as Mana getting angry and Kayori switching words) ..chop on streams around the forest that turn into feet-.. *bong* ( <-- Mana chop chop) Aww!~
I don't know what you people find so mysterious and hard to understand
Oh and there's no useful info it's just funny.
Normally I'll put it down to yet another example of lazy animation by Nomad....but yeah. This one doesn't look like one of those examples.

Something's fishy here. How come Aono doesn't age even back then? Or is the current Yorito actually just the latest of many reincarnations (as in, the Yorito in this scene is an earlier reincarnation)?
Ascaloth is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 18:25   Link #119
Cyz
"Show it to me"
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: In solitude, where we are least alone
I finally seen episode 8.

Spoiler for Episode 8:
__________________
~~ Project Cyz ~~
"There is no spoon"
~~~~~
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline  
Old 2007-05-28, 18:27   Link #120
kct
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the office, staring at my secretary shipgirl
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Something's fishy here. How come Aono doesn't age even back then? Or is the current Yorito actually just the latest of many reincarnations (as in, the Yorito in this scene is an earlier reincarnation)?
To quote something I've said in the episode 7 thread,

Spoiler for Yorito:
kct is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.